Welcome Creative People!

I have absolutely no idea how to act civil in a situation like this. Kim from Today's Creative Blog (which is my favorite blog design, next to my own of course) featured my little blog today. I am waaaay too all about myself this morning. Sorry to everyone who knows me in real life I'll be a big pain today. Here's the link to my sister's blog. She has a real blog. She is actually a good writer and people love her for it. And she has a pretty house. Hate her.


I wanted to post photos of my dear, dear sofa. I cannot believe I never have. Family members tease me about this sofa. My dad knows what toile is because of this sofa. We had an old leather sofa for 10 years. Finally, we were tired of it and all our other collected furniture and decided to furnish our home. This was September of 2004. And, my only restriction was that we had to pay cash for everything.



My honey took the day off of work and got a sitter for the shopping of the sofa. He's so sweet like that. This was a BIG DEAL for me. Really, one of the happiest days of my life--besides, our wedding, having the boys, and the day our brick was painted. Just keepin' it real.

We went to High Point, NC the furniture capitol of the world and I felt like I had died and gone to heaven. After a day of sofa shopping we ended up at my favorite showroom, Utility Craft. What an awful name. They have since shut down but, oh you would have loved it! They had a compact sectional on the floor with an ugly plaid that my husband sat on and said "this one". I wanted to barf. It was black plaid.



Then, our sales lady, Helen, told me that this was a classy, real furniture store and I could pick whatever fabric my heart desired. What? I had only read about people doing that before. In my one measly year of design school I was introduced to this concept but never, in the flesh.



I was a nervous wreck. I mean, I wanted to go ahead and make a decision because it would take 3 months for this sofa to be made to my persnickety specifications but, this fabric would be in my life for a long time.


My honey actually found the toile while we were pouring through the fabrics. "Here's one you'll like" he said. "Really?" said I. We both new I loved it. I am no fair weather toile fan. I just never thought he would be okay with having French lovers on our family sofa I mean what respectable NASCAR fan watches the 500 while resting his hiney on toile? Well, he does, and his hiney is so comfy thanks to the down wrapped cushions!



So, the toile sofa was delivered the week after Thanksgiving. I'll never forget that day. My home went from safe, neutrals to red toile in one hour. And I happily spread the toile love around. I love it with everything! I mix toiles, I put red toile with robin's egg blue! Some one told me that red and robin's egg blue don't go. Watch out! I am rearranging an entire room just to make it work!

35 comments:

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

So happy that Kim featured you & now we all get to come visit! Love your old house "before & after". I can see we have a lot in common. I love projects & decorating too, so please come & visit me.

And your toile sofa is beautiful. I love toile too, but only have it in a couple spots in the house. Love, love it! Can't wait to go back & read some of your old posts. You sound like a fun girl.

Rhoda

Stephanie ODea said...

what a beautiful sofa! I love the way that you have decorated---very inspiring.
Are the shutters over the fireplace hiding a tv? My husband is dying to hang a flat-screen over the fireplace, but I'd rather it not be on display 24/7. What a great idea---
xoxo
steph

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Oh, I have to ask where you found those cute black birdies with the design on your sidebars? Are those Christmas ornaments?? Cause I'm kicking myself for not getting a box of 3 that I saw at Homegoods after Christmas. They were black/white and SO cute. Can those still be found that you have on here? I was thinking of trying to make some if I could find a wooden or paper mache bird somewhere. Any ideas?

Love your blog!

Anonymous said...

I really love your toile sofa. I too love toile and have it spread throughout my house. Next time I go furniture shopping, look out! I am searching for the perfect toile right now for my MB. I want to use brown burlap with a pretty robin's egg blue toile pattern!!! Wish me luck. Now, off to visit your sister and her amazing black cabinets

The Nester said...

rhonda, yes, a christmas ornament. i think the little bird was from hobby lobby. one of my favorite stores.

thanks everyone for loving toile! we should start a toile club!

crockpot, i wish there was a big ole tv behind those shutters. so does my honey. my mom did hang plantation shutters over their fireplace with a tv behind. i think it's a great idea. i bet you'll find a great way to disguise it!

Kelly said...

Just wanted to let you know that I absolutely LOVE your decorating style! I think you have great taste and your choices of fabric, furniture, color schemes and accessories are right up my alley! I discovered your blog from Kim @ Creative Blogs. I read your blog archives and your financial situation. It sounds like you're doing a great job in getting back on track. You have to take chances when it's your own business and sometimes things don't always work out, but it's how you overcome things that matters! You and your family (despite your financial history) look like you're thriving very well. Your old home was beautiful and I know that renting seems unglamorous but one day you'll be back on your own, I'm sure. Meanwhile, your talent for creating a beautiful home (no matter where) is extraordinary. No one can take that away from you! I'm glad you're enjoying your new lifestyle being home with your kids and fueling your passion for decorating with those closest to you. I'll continue to check in on you and see what other fabulous decorating projects you're working on. Also, any thrifty finds you have to share with us are always fun!

Kelly

Anonymous said...

Cliked over from creative blogs. Love the red toile. Love your talent. Love your sisters kitchen too. Love Dave Ramsey story too. Love your blog. Glad I clicked over. I just posted about decorating my home and paint colors. Bah, stumps me still. We just moved also and our new home is all beige to me. Fun to visit you. Lisa

Rosie's Whimsy said...

Love your sofa. I love toile as well :-) i can't wait to go back through your older posts not that I have found you :-)

Have the Best of Days..........Rosie

Liz Harrell said...

I just loved reading this story! I was 'thisclose' to the screen taking it in, b/c I've reached a sofa crisis in my home. I dont like the color and Mabel has officially smooshed the back cushions to smithareens. I think your selection is just gorgeous, and it just goes to show that we should always pick what we like and not talk ourselves out of it.

And I think your husband is a real sweetie! We're lucky, we women with tolerant husbands. They should go bowling togather. :)

Anonymous said...

I am now addicted to toile- it is quickly making its way around the house! BTW: Any suggestions on where I can find a bedspread with it? Love to chat about the bedroom decorating!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I came to visit from Creative Blogs and I'm so happy to have found you! Red toile makes me swoon so I'm coveting your sofa right now. I'll be back to visit again. ~ Lynda

Anonymous said...

I saw your blog on creative blogs and just had to visit. You have an absolutely beautiful house. Love your style and that sofa is devine. I love red and toile so both of them together it is just perfect.

Blanca

Anonymous said...

so glad to have found your blog...you left me a comment the other day and i'm so glad you were featured on tcb! i think we could be from the same womb...decorating that is! your home is beautiful...and i really loved what you said about your "old home"..."it will always be your home". that is so true. our first home will be up for sale shortly and it's very bittersweet...but it's not the house that makes it but the family! i'm in love with your door hanging on the wall and just about everything else in your house! we have the same way of thinking when it comes to decor! i will definitely be back on a regular basis to visit and see what's new!

hqm said...

The first time I customized a piece of furniture the sales/design associate told me it could take a few hours to choose fabric, finishes, etc...10 minutes later I was out the door I had waited 2 years...I knoew EXACTLY what I wanted! And I still love it!

LoveMeKnot Creations said...

toile is great, isn't it?
i like how you incorporated it around the house! love the mini rocking chair too :)

Nicole Solo said...

this sofa is sooo cool! I would love to find a place to make me the perfect one! But for now I'll have to make do with hiding the giant stained holey hand-me-down monster with a handmade quilt :)

Melissa Stover said...

love that toile couch!

Anonymous said...

I had a Goldilocks and the Three Bears book when I was a kid that was decorated in toile, did I already tell you that? Anyway, I have loved it ever since.

Your couch rocks.

Anonymous said...

We are currently furniture shopping and almost ready to buy. I will have the cash in about 2 weeks.

AND I GASPED WHEN I SAW YOUR SOFA!!!

I love RED.
I love TOILE.
And I need a sectional. Layout reasons. (I've always thought of sectionals as... well, not the look I'm going for... but looking at them again recently, I think I can make it can work...)

So, now I will never be satisfied, I'm sure. I have seen perfection, and it is not here.

But I will definitely post a picture of whatever I do choose when I get it all done. I wish you could come here and do it all for me - I'm almost good at it but not quite, which leaves me always slightly deflated. Especially compared to the WHOA, BABY! you get looking at that furniture.

Wish me luck. And send suggestions. They are welcome.
(This means...HELP!!!)

Aubrey said...

Are you going to share your secrets about how you made your sisters' window treatment? Actually, I just want to know your tricks for all your curtains--that's one of my weak spots. I never seem to know what kind to put where and I hate resorting to cheap mini blinds.

Kelly said...

Love the toile sofa; and a man who can spot a toile from a stack of fabrics, is a man with a happy marriage:-)

Reading through your comments I saw Dave Ramsey mentioned...I don't remember reading your story about this (that others mentioned) so I'll have to go back though your archives. We just bought his book and I'm looking for inspiration!

Michelle said...

OK, we must have been sisters in a former life! love your decorating style, but most of all your sense of REAL humor about it all. Blogging is a new obsession of mine, and yours is at the top of my favorites list! Keep up the good work sista! Smiles from Texas! Michelle

Barb said...

I laughed all the way through your post..my kids think I am nuts! I laughed because I can identify with everything you said...honey taking the day off from work to go sofa shopping and all! Too funny!

Karol said...

BEAUTIFUL fabric and sofa. You are a decorating diva!

Darcy @ m3b said...

Hey Ms. Popular!

Will you still remember me when you're famous?

;)

-Darcy from LWM3B

Anonymous said...

Hi! I have put up some pictures on my blog showing how I've combined red and robin's egg blue in my home - thought you might like to see them - http://www.homesteadblogger.com/athomewithkris/83905/! My home is not nearly as put together as yours is though. Love your blog!

Deb said...

Love, love, love your decorating style. Your house is gorgeous, and I have placed a link to your blog on mine so that my friends and family can get inspired too. My sister is actually in the process of buying another house, and loved the ideas you have. We, too, try to find the most inexpensive ways of doing things, and now we have somewhere to get ideas from. Who knew shutters over a fire place could look so good. I am also starting to paint my cabinets black like your sister. Wasn't completely sure about it, but now I am. Can't wait to get it done so I can post those pics. Thanks for stopping by my blog and the kind comment you left. But your blog looks way more awesome than mine. Can't wait to see what other projects and ideas you have coming up.

Debbie

Mrs. Jones said...

I have a red toile couch, too. And I just love, love, love it.

ENAACT Yearbook Class said...

Great couch and story to go along. I don't know how you keep it so clean? With two active little boys I have no choice but to buy furniture that is the color-o-dirt. Sounds nice, right?

Tracy said...

I love it. It looks great in your house.

Anonymous said...

Oh, found a picture with red toile and robin's egg blue in a bathroom and just had to share the link here! It was on one of the other blogs featured on the Creative blog - http://thefeatherednest.typepad.com/the_feathered_nest/2007/04/guest_bath_redo.html

Enjoy some inspiration!

Kris

Denise said...

BEAUTIFUL ROOM! Can i move in?
i followed Jennifer from Gathering Grace over to your sight.
Really red toile with robin's egg blue? i'd like to see it.
My bathroom is robin's egg blue, with black & white toile- crazy, but it is my favorite room in the house :-0

Whatsoever is Pure said...

You have 32 comments! I'm so jealous. Oh and yeah- I like the sofa too. :)

Anonymous said...

Love the couch! I love toile and I love red! So jealous. And don't let anyone tell you otherwise - red goes with everything!

Katharyn said...

That is absolutly beautiful!!! I am going to keep your soffa in mind for after Paul and I have bought our land, built our house and are trying to fill it. (By the way, added the Total Money Makover to my half.com list per your recomendation).