Pictures, Papers and Terrorists


The other day I got this email:

My name is Sophie and I am from France.
I need some advice on how to place frames above my mantel.
It will be painted non-flashy red and I wanted to spray paint small frames white. But i don't know how to put them, how to leave space between them, and so on.
I would like it to be trendy, and we mostly have color pictures.
Can you help? it would be great of you had a few pictures to show me or websites that show some organisation of frames on a wall or mantel.

thanks so much,

Sophie
You know I am all about myself because a French woman asked ME for advice. Don't you just adore how she spelled organization? If I did that y'all would just roll your eyes.


Well Sophie, the answer is simple, I usually just hang them so they look right.

I have a feeling that's not the answer that you are looking for. If I have lots of frames or other stuff to hang I usually lay them all out on the floor and group them the way that looks best. You could even tape off the exact measurements of your wall and tape that down. Then place your pictures inside and move them around until you like them.

Don't be afraid if you make a few extra holes in the wall. I'm not sure what your French walls are made of but around these parts patching holes is not a big deal at all. At least, that's what I've heard, I don't usually patch them, I just use small nails.

I also love to add something in that's not framey--like iron or wood or flesh, you know, organic.



Here are some great websites with info on how to hang your picture groupings:

rental decorating

a photo gallery website

Home Depot tells you the actual how to in hanging stuff on the wall


Also, if you want to know how I shop for my house, click here, if you want to win something really pretty, click here and if you are tired of my big bad ideas, try one of my Dad's.

edited

Y'all are so funny--someone who won't say their name told me I give them the creeps because I said the words flesh and terrorists! Be sure to click over to my links. I mean, doesn't everyone read every word of every link I link to? Hmm, maybe not. The flesh thing? that was just a play on organic. Ok, maybe not sooo funny but good grief, I write this stuff fast so I can go school my kids.

23 comments:

Sister Honey Bunch/Judi maloney said...

Your dad has a blog too???

Your whole family sit around the dinner table with your laptops and write when you get together? I'm off to check him out. He may have a new stalker on his hands.

Linda said...

Adopt a terrorist! That's just fantastic......... who would have thought of that.... wow :)

greetings from the netherlands *you know, almost next to france*

Anonymous said...

I totally had to go back and find the spelling "mistake" because we Aussies spell it that way and I hadn't noticed anything!

And here I was, you know, feeling like I had done something original 6 months ago by buying a big frame and then hanging other frames in side it. Thanks. You've busted my bubble. *grin*

I covet your house, by the way. But by the grace of God I'd so be in hell.

Anonymous said...

Hey! This is Sophie, the French woman that sent the email!
I was not completely awake when I spelled ORGANIzATION because I did it the French way! lol
Thanks so much for your help, I feel all inspired now. And I feel like a star being featured on the NESTER's BLOG!!
Wow!
Thanks so much!!

Jo said...

"Organisation"...actually, it's only you Americans who spell it with a "Z"
(Well, most Canadians do too, but that's only because we're so Americanised...oh, sorry I mean AmericaniZed) ;-)

I love your ideas, as always.

paperjunk-lc said...

Another great post!!
You are quickly becoming blog royalty. I saw a post on a message board at 2p's about your blog...all good stuff!
As always I love your ideas and your energy!

Unknown said...

The terrorist part is because you're hanging flesh on your wall? huh? But I am going to go to town on 1. painting my walls, 2. developing pictures, and 3. hanging the pictures cutely. You inspire. :)

Unknown said...

and now we know that I should click links before I comment instead of after.

Anonymous said...

Is there a way to subscribe to your blog so I can get email notification of new postings? You are so fun and informative.
Kara

Tangee said...

I like a woman who knows to hang things so they look good. I just don't have the patience to sketch out on paper and do all that masking stuff.

The Nester said...

Hey annony. Hope you don't mind if I call you by your nickname!

I'm not a computer expert but I use bloglines as my blog reader and I subscribe to 50 or so blogs and they show up in bold when there is a new post.

Also, I think that Technorati link over on my left sidebar allows you to favorite me and read me on their reader if you use them--I'm not really sure what in the world that thing is there for!

Thanks for asking!

Should I have some button that I don't know about? If you know what I should be telling people about this please help me!

Mrs. B said...

How cool are you with your emails from France!?! And you know she would pronounce it even more cool (cooler?) than she said it!

Well, now I have to go click on those links you have.

Anonymous said...

Oooh La La~! That's all I can say about that~!! You are special!!
Thanks for visiting my blog yesterday.. you've given me some great ideas.. now I'm on the hunt for some thick draperies.. And yes, up here in the FAR FAR North of Washington, the daylight never seems to go away in the summer!! But come December, it's pitch black by 4:15!! We get the extremes!! During that time of year.. I have allll of my windows uncovered to let in as much light as I can get!!
Thanks again for visiting.. I'll update you when I get something worked out!

Polly said...

A French woman asked for your advice...
it's official...
you've ARRIVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grafted Branch said...

Surfing over from Granny's Place...

Those groupings look so nice! But, I've got to ask...do you hang them kinda crooked on purpose? Is that part of the charm, or are you just easy-going?

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Link love and bloggy bling for you at my place....

Wendster said...

That was so nice of you to dedicate a whole post to responding to Sophie's question.

You rock.

I didn't click on the links and am wondering what I missed about the "adopt a terrorist". Sounds funny but it's late and I choose sleep. ha.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah I feel so honored that she dedicated a post for me and documented it so perfectly!

Mrs B - I don't have the ugly thick French accent, thank God!

Now I cannot wait to arrange my pix!

Anonymous said...

I am a huge fan of yours! But, I really don't get the whole flesh and terrorist thing? To be honest Nester, it kinda gives me the creeps.

The Nester said...

Dear Annon,

Come on now. Really. do you really think I said Terrorist for no reason? Maybe you think I am a secret spy and as soon as I use the word "terrorist" in my title then that's code for something!! You didn't ask why I used the word "paper"?

If you want to question why I used a certain word in my title please click on my links first. If you click on my dad's link you can adopt a terrorist and pray for them. That's all.

Flesh--okay maybe stupid. That's just my humor. All the designers on HGTV say organic all the time and I think of organic as something that is alive and I always get grossed out when they say to use something organic! Anyone with me?

Sorry I gave you the creeps. Now, out with the name.

Anonymous said...

Great post! Found this post, too: http://kariandkijsa.blogspot.com/2008/04/little-pick-me-up.html

Anonymous said...

Sorry Nester, my name is Maggie. I posted anonymous because I don't want the whole world to view my family blog. I know there is a way to make it private, but I just have not done that yet. I am new to the world of blogging. Anyways, I came across your blog by googling svelt sage by SW. I love your ideas! I just finished painting our family room in Svelt Sage and I love it! Also, I was so excited to learn of your mis treatments. I was about to hire someone and pay $$$ to make a few valances, but now I can do it on my own, and I am thrilled! I have three children under the age of three and my only current thrill besides being a mommy is decorating on a budget. I am a true craigslist junkie, and yard sale fanatic. I NEVER buy anything unless it's at least 50-75% off. I feel like I have been able to relate to you. Sorry for rambling on, but I just want you to know that I'm a fan! Thanks for inspiring me! I will check your links from now on.

The Nester said...

Hey Maggie! I am so glad you are here and I hope that you feel free to ask a question again, even if it is about my title!

I don't want to assume that everyone who comes here always reads every word I write and every word I link too-that would take a life time!!

Thanks for the response and I hope I convinced you that I'm not a terrorist! Hope I'm not going around give people the creeps on a daily basis!

Now go enter to win that HGTV Green House! If I don't win I at least want someone I know to win!