Easy Memo Board


I saw something similar to this in Pottery Barn Kids a few years ago and loved it. I had tried to make some of those French memo boards but the persnickety diamond pattern does not mix well with an impatient, lazy perfectionist. When I saw a great looking board with horizontal ribbon, I knew I could handle that. And so can you.

You tell me, how did I make it?

It was easy, fast and cheap but, I bet you can make it faster, cuter and for less $$ than I did!

67 comments:

Anonymous said...

i would guess that you hot glued those pieces on the back??

very cute, by the way!

and do you mind telling me where you got your "sticker" the one i saw on the back of the framed nest print?

thanks!

Nancy said...

Tied and Pinned?

Me said...

OOh, that is cute! I'm guessing hot glue was involved. Nester, I'm not sure if this is the place to leave this, but I mistreated a window in my house! Come check it out!!

Sherri said...

That is so cute!! I have wanted to make the French one too...but I know it would just end up being thrown across the room. This one I think I can handle!!! I bet you used hot glue on the back?

Amy said...

Love, love, love this!!! I think I say the same thing every time I comment on your site.

Kristen said...

If a glue gun was not involved then I don't know you at all. Ok, I really don't know you but I'm still guessing glue gun!

I'm going to make one for my bedroom to hang love notes..um, er, I mean post it notes to hang from.

V and Co. said...

i love your blog thank you for the inspiration!

Lacy said...

I am so making one and you are still so my best blog friend. You really dont know....how much I love you!!! Great work! I like cheap and easy and pretty.

The Birds Nest said...

VERY CUTE!! I would say that you used either a board or a inexpensive/recycled canvas and then used a staple gun and hot glue to cover it with fabric and then strips of leftover ribbon to end up with an almost free creation!!

Rachel Berry said...

So cute I need one! Like I need one of everything on your blog. Your the best inspiration ever. Thanks!

:)R.

Anonymous said...

I betcha used the hot glue gun for the ribbons and the tacks for the background cloth!

Thank you so much for the inspiration, I am now THE French hot glue gun addict: l'adepte française au pistolet à colle!!

Hugs

Danielle said...

Oh my goodness gracious! The cuteness of this is too much! Like everyone else, I'm guessing you hot glued it...I will probably use staples! No shame here!!

angela | the painted house said...

Anytime you can replicate Pottery Barn for a fraction of the cost is a good day. Love it. Is it for me? :)

joyfullness said...

This is so adorable!! I love the colors... I always have trouble figuring out what's in..!! color combos!! OOOOHHH..and the yummo ribbons.... it's like a fantastically (sp) decorated sheet cake!! MMMMM!
I just love you Nester!!
I think you used Priscilla's half sister...Stella the staple gun...( did she already have a name??? and i just renamed her in front of the whole world??) ...you'd say..hate me!!! I'll say it too...just cuz!!
I love this project... you are such an inspiration!!
Have a Love-fully!!

Christina said...

I love it! I think I'll make one for my girls room. I just made a board for my dining area. It's not nearly as cute as yours! Did you use staples?

Unknown said...

Love IT!!! and Im' so with you on those stupid diamonds, I had no luck with those either - tried making one after my daughter was born.

I'm imagining staples on the back but I'm so not crafty it's not even funny... I live vicariously through your blog. :)

Anonymous said...

Nester,
Hi, I recently found your blog on the Just Beachy blog. I'm a homeschool mom of five boys and have always enjoyed decorating my home. SO glad to know there are other moms who also feel it is possible to have boys/kids AND a pretty house! I have enjoyed your posts immensly, esp. the pics! I will visit regularly!

Cute memo board...perfect way to use the many yards of ribbon that I have bought not knowing what I would do with it!

By the way, your gorgeous toile couch...

Shut. Up.

Kimba said...

I think you gave a few ribbons to each of your kids and had them do a Maypole dance around that fabric covered board. Then you glued them to the back. The ribbons. Not the kids.

Although I think I see someone's fingers still stuck to the back.

And I'm just cracking up that one of your Google ads says "Find Bird Control in your local area." HA! That will teach to to use the words bird and nest so often! :-)

emily freeman said...

Sister, you are so great. I'm so glad you have this blog because even though you live far from me, I can glean from your domestic wisdom a little every day. I just finished a photo wall and I wasn't even nervous about the holes. I pounded away happily with my wedge heel until those nails were good and in there.

And even while Mom wrung her hands in the background when one of the frames fell and nicked the wall, I laughed in the face of anxiety and told her "Mom, chill. I'll just hang something over it."

It felt good to not be afraid of my own house. I am the master of my domain with many thanks to you!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

That is cute! I did a big one for my office space using a large picture frame with foamcore board wrapped in fabric. Added those crisscross ribbons & it was easy too & inexpensive, since I bought the huge frame at a yardsale.

Love your idea!

Rhoda

Mrs. Jones said...

I'm thinking hot glue was definitely involved here. Did you just cover a plain board? I'm not sure I could improve on cute, fast or economical. Well done, and I love the clothes pins, too!!

~Heather

Marie said...

I'm not positive how you made it, but I'm sure it involved a glue gun. :o) I made one of those persnickety "french" ones once. It came out pretty cute! I have no idea where it is now though...

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

This craft-challenged girl gives up. You're gonna show us how to do it in your next post, right? Please? Pretty please? Pretty please with sugar on top?

Shannon said...

My guess is a canvas or old frame wrapped in burlap and then hot glued ribbon??? Either way it is cute!

Biteofpunkinpie said...

I don't know how you made it, but I've made something similar for my daughters to clip their hair bows on. I had an old cork board that the frame was falling apart, so I pulled that off, wrapped the cork in fabric that matched their bathroom, staple-gunned the fabric on, and then hung ribbons from it (vertically).

I'm super ghetto b/c to hang it from the wall I attached two black binder clips w/the handle part sticking up and hung it from pins on my bathroom wall.

I look forward to finding out how you made yours!

Queen B said...

That is great! Very cute.

Anonymous said...

how cute. What a great mom-daughter project this summer. I needed more ideas. My girls are coming into a great age (10 & 11) for wanting to more involved crafts and this looks like a fun one. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I knew I'd been saving ribbons for years for something!!! Thanks for the great idea. I'm going to make one too! I'm guessing hot glue was involved in the making of the memo board. :) I actually like the look of the horizontal stripes better than the diamond look.

Tara said...

So cute! Way to take a great idea & make it cheaper - I love doing that, too! I've also done the diamond pattern memo boards & had the same prob...can't get it even for the life of me! Love this new way of horizontal ribbons and hot glue! Thanks!

Precision Quality Laser said...

I'm with all the other commenters...Priscilla had to have had her hand in this...lol!
Beautiful idea...I'm going to have to hit the $1 ribbon sales at Michael's. I never liked the diamond pattern..too stuffy..so this is perfect! Thanks for the inspiration!

Blessings!

Mrs. Q

Anonymous said...

Love the board and what a way to use up ribbon that we all seem to collect. I think a glue gun and staples were involved :)

Tiffany said...

I like to use a staple gun for every project, so my ribbons would probably be stapled on. I'd love to see how you made yours. It's super cute!

DairyQueen said...

that is so cute! I was wanting to make something like that for my girls when they begin sharing a room...this is just the ticket! And, I can't really tell, but it looks like you used upholstery clips? That's a really neat idea too!

Heathahlee said...

I have to agree with the hot-glue sentiments. And Kimba's comment made me laugh so loud my son wondered what was wrong with me. He better be careful or I'll hot glue him to something.

Um, you ARE gonna tell us, aren't you? Please, please, pleeeeease? :)

Anonymous said...

Love it! I can do that! Thanks for your comment and by-the-by that awesome lamp was from Pier 1. My sister worked there for like a split second and I exploited her discount ;)

Lynne said...

Super girlie and cute! Love it!
I'm guessing you glued it on the back? or stapled it? I love to "borrow" Pottery Barn Ideas! Their catalog is a great idea book for decorating!

GeonHui's Bakery said...

Love this! Thanks for sharing it!

Bonita said...

I'm not good at figuring out these crafty type things, but knowing you I bet it involved a glue gun somehow. Very pretty, by the way. My daughter will want to try it for sure so do tell.

Lezlie said...

You always have so many cute ideas. I have a question regarding cute ideas/blogging that I hope you can answer.
I found a really cute idea for a project on another blog (it was for sale). I want to copy it for myself and maybe to give to others. If I decided to post my finished product (like your memo board) on my blog, do I have to give a link or something where I found it or can I just say, "I saw this somewhere else"? I don't know the "rules" and don't want to infringe:)

Love all your great decorating ideas!

Steffani said...

I love that! I am going to say that you used cardboard, and hot glue.

Jennifer P. said...

I COULD make one....or you could just give me yours :)!

I do know that fabric-covered cardboard is a great way to make a tackboard of any kind though. I've got a few of those hanging around.

The Nester said...

Lezlie, email me and I'll be glad to give you my opinion! This is a great question!

Amy H said...

Nester-
This project has Priscilla's Name all over it! I am not sure what you covered to make it that is the trick since things are on clips I would guess it doesn't have to be thumb tackable (that is my new word of the day) Of course made of odds and ends of ribbons around the house!
I am still on the edge of my seat waiting for the house tour!

Anonymous said...

did u tack it all back?

Still Learning said...

Okay, styrofoam board & staples. Are you going to hang this or lean it on something? I might make some for the store, I like yours.

Corinne said...

I love it and I love the curtain rings that you used to hold the photos...very cute!!

Stephanie said...

Love it! It looks like it's from PB! I'm guessing you recycled a canvas?

Brian and Staci said...

I'm sure there was hot glue involved...we do know Our Nester :)

Mandie said...

Ok, I'm going to go against the flow and say staple gun instead of hot glue. I think you might need the staples to get the ribbons tight enough.

Gorgeous!

The Nester said...

Am I allowed to tell you how I did it in the comments?

The reason I wanted YOU to tell me was cuz I felt like I did it the hard way.

I used MDF which means this board weighed 379 pounds. But, I had to make it look decent because it was for sale in a local shop.

I also broke down and used the staple gun. Yes! No glue gun!!

I KNOW!!!

If I were making this for myself I would totally use a canvas like y'all said! and probably high melt glue gun--that holds better! Or staples right on the edge of the back of the canvas!

Heart Y'all!

have a great weekend!

I am Mom said...

Im so glad you had this today! One of my goals for this summer was to make a big version of this to go near my kitchen. Staple Gun! yippee. By the way, do you have a bird ringtone?

Unknown said...

I am so grabbing me a big ole handful of ribbon and hotglueing the heck out of it to a burlap-wrapped piece of cardboard tomorrow after I've had a good night's sleep and a tasty breakfast of cinnamon graham crackers and 10 cups of coffee. I just LOVE how you use those dang curtain hangers everywhere!!!

Valerie said...

I can not wait to attempt this! How stinkin cute!

Kitty Scraps said...

Stinkin' Cute! Now Nester, the diamond pattern ain't hard to do at all! I've been making them for months and have figured out a much easier way to the get the diamond effect. MDF? OMGosh, poor poor chickie, that stuff is grossly heavy! But your board is darling and I may just have to rethink the diamond pattern on my next one and try horizontal instead... LOL

Karol said...

L-O-V-E it!

Unknown said...

I love it! This would be perfect for the kitchen in my house

Mary said...

Another great idea!

Anonymous said...

Love it! I also saw it in the PB catalog and wanted one... but not for $85 (or so). So I loaded the kiddos into a cart at Wal-Mart, collected ribbons and fabric and made good use of naptime. :) I started out with the glue gun, but eneded up asking my father in law to secure the ribbons with a staple gun.

Rhea said...

I'm impressed! That looks good. I can't tell you used a staple gun.

I can make crafts...if I have step-by-step instructions telling me explicitly what I need to do. I am not good at just "throwing" things together and freestylin'.

So, I think you're amazing! Great job.

Tamlynn said...

Very cute! I love the color combinations. I've been trying to think of some type of message board for my sewing space to keep track of orders and such and the diamond pattern tack board came to mind but thats not really what I wanted. This is sweet, but my space is horizontal, so not sure if it would work. Plus I really don't think I can spare several yards of my precious ribbon collection. My precious...

Kandice said...

i just adore all your stuff :). i'm a long time reader - and thought i'd finally say hey :)

Kandice said...

i just adore all your stuff :). i'm a long time reader - and thought i'd finally say hey :)

Amy said...

I've been reading for awhile, but I don't think I've ever commented. Just thought I would now to tell you that I made my own ribbon memo board and love, love, love it! I had thought about doing the criss-cross design, but this design was love at first sight. Thanks so much for the inspiration! I *heart* your blog!

.:Heather:. said...

turn it to the right a quarter turn & you have a bow board for little girl's hair clips! : )

Anonymous said...

I just found your site. I have been looking for ideas for making a ribbon memo board. LOVE this idea-can't wait to try it!!

robinandmarty said...

I made two of these yesterday. I used an artists canvas and TONS of staples! They turned out fantastic! Thanks for the idea!

Leigh said...

I'm so excite about this idea! I'm an artist and when I mess up on a canvas I now have something to use it for!!! YEAH! I'm gonna have one in every room, pictures, notes, etc....what can you Not use it for?