This month is chalk, chopped, whatever that word is, full of birthdays and people days for us. With no budget {try negative budget} for gifts, we had to get really creative. Lucky for me, I have a bad habit of saving toys that my boys loved to play with. These animals were played with for years and will be loved by little cousins. They look like a great gift when piled in an extra galvanized bin.
Even dollar store toys look appealing when packaged in a clear take out box. What are your creative gift ideas?
Gifts on a budget
Scrawled out by
The Nester
on
6/18/2008
Labels: budget living, quickies
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
76 comments:
Wow, those are cute!
I happen to have a couple gallon bucket full of such items from a church at which I once worked, and...I've been known to make strange jewelry and/or prizes for parties (with adults, mind you) out of them. My favorite was an armadillo that I put rhinestones all over. He was blinged OUT!
As for actual creative gift ideas, I love to shop clearance racks and find beautiful/interesting plates and trays, bake up some yummy things, and put them on the tray wrapped in cellophane and a big bow. That's more for adults, but it's creative and cheap.
Hello!
I have to laugh at you not knowing if it's chalk or chopped - I'm constantly asking my husband the correct way to say things...I just learned that it's "play it by ear" and not "play it by YEAR"! How many years have I been saying "lets play it by YEAR!" Yikes! Anyway, my gifts could be so lame but they are always wrapped the prettiest! I love ribbon! :)
Meg (West Linn, OR)
i usually head to my fabric stash and start making something--like those crayon rolls.
I think maps could make a neat gift for kids. They are free from the Auto Club and you could pair them with a magnifying glass, a toy car and a highlighting pen.
Another cool gift might be a can/jar of flubber. Or at least the ingredients ready to mix with a note telling what it is.
recipe here:
http://www.makingfriends.com/r_flubber.htm
I shop craft sales often & buy up supplies like paper, markers, feathers, beads, & whatever looks fun. I grab some scrap fabric & make a quick tote to put the goodies in.
By the way, it is "chock" full of birthdays. LOL! I hate it when I can't figure out what word I want to use.
A pretty package makes even the cheapest/lamest of gifts special! I love the little box idea. I will have to keep that one in mind!
you make it look so cute!
Love the little clear box idea.
For kids I like to make a basket and wrap it in celo wrap. It doesn't really matter what you put in it they love it. I pick a theme or a color and go through my drawer of goodies and find things to go in there.
I try to pick up little things I see throughout the year on clearance, sales or even at thrift stores and garage sales.
This idea works great with adults too.
Hugs,
Joanne
I also prefer to purchase gifts on a budget.
Thanks for the party the other day! I had more hits for two days than ever before! I felt so loved:) Anyway, I have my kids paint art canvases (like 5 for 10 dollars or something like that). Those usually go to relatives though...they love them!
How cute and clever of you! I bet the cousins will love it!
I like to give handmade gifts! My latest favorite is making French Memo boards which are so popular right now. I take old cast off frames from work (free or nearly so) paint them, cut foam core board to fit (free or nearly so), cover with batting (purchased with 40% off coupon + my employee discount) then cover with some fabric from my stash. I purchase ribbon if I don't happen to have enough for the project, sometimes I'll cover buttons or use some from my stash, I sew them on since it's foam core board. Pop that into the frame and add a wire hanger! So far they have been huge hits with everyone. Most of the time my investment is around $2to $3 but no one would ever know that by looking at them, lol
One of my favorite gifts to give friends is a small box (can be anything from an Altoids tin covered in pretty paper to a hand carved wooden box picked up at the thrift store) filled with little phrases and verses.
Love the gift idea. It's the thought that counts right? Your commitment to creative budgeting is encouraging. By the way sure I think it is CHOCKFULL .Sometimes I know the silliest things. By the way yesterday was my first blogpost
IDHTBPTBB a day late. Thanks for the inspiration.
Hi there Nester! You inspired me to do my own Mr. Linky party! By the time I got to yours the list was HUGE!! Yay you! Love the bucket of fun...any child would LOVE that! :)
If you want to be grammatically correct, use a hyphen: chock-full.
I love hitting the dollar store and buying pens, paper, crayons,a basket, scissors etc. and making a whole art kit, or getting inexpensive canvas, a paint pot set and a brush. It's good foor almost any age and any kid. Jen R
The chinese take-out box and ribbon is so adorable! Especially with that little guy perched on top!!
I am always on the hunt for glass bottles with stoppers or shakers to use as spice jars, and I'll fill it with Paula Deen's House seasoning (1 cup salt, 1/4 cup pepper, 1/4 cup garlic powder...I use it on practically everything) and after tying them up with a pretty ribbon, I'll give that as a small gift.
As well as inspire... you make me laugh. Chock-full. :o) I think that's what you were looking for?
I'm not that creative. But wow...those dollar store look GOOD all wrapped up like that! Very cute idea.
I just tend to shop the Target end caps after Christmas for things that are cheap I can sock away for birthday parties throughout the year. Isn't that very original? Not.
large "movie style" candy $1.00
microwave popcorn packet free (out of the box at home)
one movie rental gift certificate $4.00
I usually tie these together with a red and white gingham ribbon and a homeade card. $5.00 and you have a great gift.
Moms like them because it is an excuse to see a chick flick (dad can't complain because it is "her"
gift and kids like it because most of the time they have siblings so this is their chance to rent anything they want without having to compromise with brother and sister. I love your clear box idea, that's why you are the rock star of blogland. Paula
Those are some sweet simple ideas! One of the things that I love about kids is that they don't care how much something costs. They will love the dollar store toys just as much as some fancy-schmancy (translation: expensive) toy.
For a cheap (but not cheap looking) gift, I like to mix up a big batch of homemade play-doh in a couple of colors. It's just pennies to make and it's way better than the store bought stuff. Then I pair it up with some play-doh toys - cookie cutters, kitchen utensils - whatever I can find super cheap.
Ta Da! Super cheap and super fun!
love these ideas! I'll have to remember them. Nancy
I sometimes do a book with a theme gifts. For example... the children’s book “Give a Moose a Muffin" and I wrap it in a basket with a pack of muffin mix, a whisk and a fun mini muffin pan. seems to be a hit at every party!
I sometimes do a book with a theme gifts. For example... the children’s book “Give a Moose a Muffin" and I wrap it in a basket with a pack of muffin mix, a whisk and a fun mini muffin pan. seems to be a hit at every party!
Those are just too cute. I love themed gifts. One of my favorites is a basket (your bucket is so much cuter) with a flashlight, s'mores making stuff and a book or two on stars/animals/etc. Presentation makes such a difference, too. Must get buckets.
I am loving your bucket idea! I think presentation is what it is all about- the more eye-candy it is the fancier it looks. Great job!
I enjoy doing the theme thing too. I pick up books when they are clearanced or cheap, and then put them in a container with some snacks or goodies from the book, like the If You Give a Moose a Muffin idea above. For my niece I gave her Laura Ingalls Wilder's On the Banks of Plum Creek so I threw in some morning glory seeds, a piece of fabric, needle and floss for her first hand stitching project, some penny candy in a brown paper bag and some soda in glass bottles. I am a dork and will check the book out from the library and read it with a stack of sticky notes to make notes about what to include in the package as I read it.
I love this idea. I'm a fan of the take out box used as wrapping. I love your clear one with a bow!
My favorite cheap, but personal bday gift idea is a solid color platter or smooth plate, with a whimsical cupcake drawn on it and wrapped in tulle with an sharpie. Party guests can autograph this birthday keepsake. It's a hit with parents too.
Here are the step by step instructions:
http://www.wearethatfamily.com/2008/05/weekend-diyp-1.html
Such great ideas!!!! I usually do art kits for kids. Who can't find a cheap sketch pad or coloring book and some crayons. I Love Target clearance and I will usually buy something cheap and put it away.
I do have a wedding this weekend and I would like a neat, creative gift to give them. Got any ideas?
Since we have 21 nieces and nephews, and almost all live nearby, I have to go the creative route. I started giving the kids a candy bar for how many years they are (turn 9? You get 9 candy bars)
Easy to get, most stores will have sales where you can get 3 or 4 for $1 and the kids know that there are strict instructions that they DO NOT have to share with brothers or sisters unless they want to. The boys especially have loved this and so has our budget.
I found you through Hooked on Houses. Love your blog!!
I load up on (cheap!) fancy vintage plates and serving pieces (mismatched silverware pieces like large spoons and knives tend to be readily available and very inexpensive) at tag sales and flea markets. Then I bake and "package" on one of the plates and tie a knife (or whatever "matches" what I bake) to the top with a fancy ribbon and gift card attached.
Hi Nester! New reader - You are just so creative! If only I had an ounce of that talent LOL! Love, love the clear take out box.
Over the weekend, the kids and I made playdough from scratch. It was so easy and fun. And would be a great frugal gift idea for kids.
Helium filled balloons tied to the birthday boy or girl's mailbox are always a fun treat. You can get them at the dollar store.
We have about 10,001 Hot Wheels cars. Sometimes for gifts I get a plastic box (Gladware or a tackle box) and some colorful stickers. My boys decorate the box with stickers then I have them choose a handful of their own (in good condition) cars to give away.
A kite (dollar store), a special drink and snack (even better if you make the snack yourself and involve your kids).
Of course, wrap and present everything in a colorful, special way.
I love all the ideas!
You sure did make those dollar store gifts look fantastic!
I'm taking notes...our budget these days is begging for creativity!
Love your blog too by the way!
~ Tammy
I make homemade fudge. The ingredients are dirt cheap, it's done in 5 to 10 minutes & it is sooooo delicious. If I'm really broke I leave it in the disposable aluminum & wrap it with colored cello & place a disposable knife in it. Other wise I put it on a pretty plate & use the color cello. Everyone loves the fudge & looks forward to it. I often get requests for seconds.
All of you commenters are invited to my daughters birthday party!!!! Those are some great gift ideas!
I love how those toys look in the galvanized bin - I'm going to have to remember that.
One of the things I do is hit up the used book stores and library book sales. You can often find books in mint condition for $1.00. I stock up on kids books any time I can find brand new looking ones.
I'm going to have to incorporate the idea mentioned by several of your commenters about giving small things that go along with the books theme. What a neat thing to do!
I tend to do most of my gift shopping during the clearance time in January and July that most stores have. I pick up nice, generic things, or items that I know a particular person would like, and then I store them in my "gift box". I've also been trying to make hand-made gifts and stock up on them too, so I have something nice, but inexpensive. Right now I have almost all of this year's Christmas gifts already bought and stored. It saves me time and money and I'm prepared for any gift-giving situation. :)
One of my old standbys is to get pretty plates, bowls, and platters on clearance or at an antique store (usually for $4 or less, if possible).
When I need to give a gift, I put some homemade chocolate candy in a pretty bag on top of the plate and wrap it all up in tissue paper and ribbon. They can either use it as a candy dish or hang it somewhere to look purty. Who doesn't love new dishes--and chocolate? -Julia :-)
A couple years ago at Christmas my mom and step-dad didn't have a whole lot of money to spend on the grandkids, so they went to Dollar Tree and bought a few things for them each. Then, in one big box for each child, they put all the toys plus some crumpled up dollar bills along with scraps of paper. The kids had so much fun "unwrapping" the dollar bills, and they probably spent less than $20 for the whole thing.
I almost forgot myself!! You can find great and inexpensive gifts at your specialty gift stores. I should know, I own one. People buy 2 or 3 gift items for kids for under $10 all the time. I have tons of great stuff $10 & under. So don't abandon us gift stores completely. I still do the fudge, I've done it for years & I get repeat requests so I give the masses what they want so to speak. When $$ is not avavilable, I say baking is the way to go though.
Man! There are lots of great ideas here! February and March are those "gift" months for us. Ugghhh, right after Christmas! I loved the idea of the map with the magnifying glass, etc...This is all GREAT!
Chock full as in Chock Full of Nuts coffee when in doubt you should Google, are your kids really home-schooled lol ??
I say you can't go wrong with giving candy all little kids like that and you do such a nice job of packaging things.
Great ideas you've received.
This is such a clever way of gift giving! I especially love the take-out box of army men.
Hmm, it looks really pretty, but I would feel really bad giving pre-owned gifts. No matter how I dressed it up, I would feel guilty!
Hmm, it looks really pretty, but I would feel really bad giving pre-owned gifts. No matter how I dressed it up, I would feel guilty!
Hey, I love your ideas for budget gift giving.
I recently send my neice (who is artistic) a budget gift. I stocked up on art coloring books when I worked at a museum bookstore. I photocopied the images I thought she would have fun coloring and put them in a binder. I added some colored pencils and viola, cutesy gift for an artistic 10 year old. She loved it. Oh, I also glued in photos of the two of us on a past museum visit.
HUGS
What great ideas, Nester! During the summer garage sale season, I am always on the lookout for possible items to "repurpose." (I just hate that word!) Baskets and tins of all sizes are a biggie. These makes great packaging for other things that I find or for special treats I bake or for my homemade popcorn balls or caramel corn.. Last year, I found my Mom a beautiful English ironstone pitcher with roses for Christmas, which she loved. (One thin dime for that beauty) I also like to look for children's books in excellent condition. These make wonderful birthday gifts with the additon of a candy bar, bubbles etc.
One of the best things I came up with on a days notice was a holiday surival kit for a girls night out gift excahnge party. I took a small chirstmas tin and put all the little odds and ends that you run out of or need for your last minute holiday gift.
A shaprie marker
a few of the odd Christmas chards I had left for those cards you get but didn't send one too. Thank you notes ( i pick these up on clearance through out the year) a few batteries, a roll of tape, a small travel size of asprin, tic tacs. Mostly a few thing I picked up at the dollar store and odd and end from the house. The women who got reminds me how much she loved it and used it when I see her.
Right now, I have two pregnant daughter, one who loves homemade gifts, the other would die if I gave her child anything handmade. Right now there is stack of homemade flannel burp clothes, coordinating pee-pee teepees ( He's a he!) and baby sling ready to be wrapped for Baby #1. I bought the material on the $1 a yard stack at Wal Mart. I don't think I have $10 in all of the material. Baby #2? Sigh....I don't know.
Love the ideas!
Chock-full is the phrase you're searching for. I love little phrases like that. I personally love to use, "...now that's a whole-nother story..." LOL. Being a writer, I learned all the proper ways of expressing myself. But sometimes proper just isn't appropriate. Love it!
For the kids in my family, the gift this year is a "travel tray". I take a cookie sheet, prime it, paint the inside (that you would put your cookies on) with chalkboard paint, paint the other side in something cute with the child's name on it.
I package chalk, a piece of felt (eraser), some small dollar tree toys (cars, slinky, etc), crayons/book, crayola color wonder set along with it. the tray can be used as a chalkboard, desk, play surface, and to eat a meal or snack. I don't necessarily give all of the listed items!
A friend of mine made one for her daughter and added ribbon to allow it to hang on the seat in front of her!
IKEA sells adorable little teddy bears for $1.99. I buy a herd o' them every couple months to dress up in pinafores or overalls I crochet. Then I use them to decorate baby gift packages. What's usually inside the package? A crocheted baby carseat afghan, matching booties and a cap I make from fingering yarn. We're having a Baby Boom at our church right now, so all the moms know what they'll be getting from me!
nester,
don't think i could love you any more if i tried- ya know why? cause you are REAL!
I like to buy plastic sand buckets and shovels for $1 and then add some 5/$1 seed packets from the dollar store, a 3/$1 jar of bubbles (save the other 2 for future gifts), a 4/$1 squirt gun (same as before, save the extras), a jump rope, and you have one happy kid thats ready for some fun in the sun. You can even throw in a few pieces of candy as a filler. Great kid gift for under $5 and you have the fixin's for a few more.
Write up a few of your favorite recipes for a new bride, put them inside a cute recipe box, topped with a cute heart cookie cutter tied up in a big ribbon. She is ready to start cooking in her new kitchen.
Baby gifts are always delivered in a inexpensive laundry basket, because you always need one of those with the tons of baby laundry that comes with baby.
For a grandparent that has everything, I make up a keepsake DVD movie of "A Year in Photos". I make these on the computer and a blank DVD costs pennies. My mother-in-law gets all excited to get her movie each year. Quite often, she has old ones playing on the TV while we set the table. The kids can watch these over and over in silence, thats a good thing!
Be creative, give from the heart, and you can never go wrong!
Great idea!! It's amazing how "Nesting" something up can make it look like so much more. Very creative!!
I hear ya.and it's worse for us when school in. i Love the dollar store gift idea-i will try it for my meetings at schhol, we raffle off small gifts and this would be great to include the little kids that come along with their parents.
Thanks u are so smart!
was I drunk when I typed that up there???-lol schhol????lol
Love the gift! I love themed presents that are based on the party theme. Sometimes I use the invite in such a way to make a gift tag. I also like to use raffia or craft paper in wrapping.
I am a big picture fan so I love to give the gift of pictures... For Father's day this year my kids and i went to Walmart and made their grandfather a deck of playing cards with their picture on the back....he is a big card player...poker....it was cheap around $10. For their dad, we made him a golf towel with their picture on it....he is a golfer!!!! Also cheap...I think it was around $10 also......
Do you ever run out of cute ideas????
gREAT IDEA!
I have to say I'm a bit challenged when it comes to creative gifts. I'm starting on Christmas gifts now though so I have 6 months to get creative. =) Just thought I'd add that here in Australia you could say "chock-a-block" instead of "chock-full". =)
Nester,
Do you have any advice on getting an easy to use digital camera for blogging/internet posting pictures? Your pics always look so great. Any words of wisdom? I'm looking to spend under $250. Thanks so much!
Laura82582@aol.com
:) So creative!!! Love the ideas! I have none...I'm so lame.
These are great ideas - I really need to do something like this because I can't afford not too!
What a great gift! Oh, the cousins are going to just LOVE that! I bet that will be their favorite gift.
I have found with boys or girls scrapbooking is a neat gift they can take pics of their favorite things and make really neat pages they can actually frame too.....
I try to visit the clearance sections of stores when I get a chance and stock up...Walmart toys after Christmas, Target endcaps, Big Lots baby items, even Bath & Body Works is having a 75% off sale now! I have a few shelves in a closet that we call Mom's store, and when I need a gift, I hit my cheap bargains in MY store...and like you, wrap it real pretty! LOL!
I wish I had seen the "less than perfect share" on Monday... Oh, I have lots of those areas that are less than perfect, but beautiful none the less...or at least in the eye of the beholder! LOL! Do you think you will do it again?
Hugs, Rhonda ;)
You can buy a cheap $5 movie, or one from a garage sale...adult or kids...put it in a $1 beach bucket or a basket, with a package of micro popcorn, a couple of different Candies....I ususally do that for my daughters friends b-days...it is the CUTEST gift, and I never spend over $12. Fill the bicket ect with cool tissue paper! AND WALA!!!
I like art kits,too. Try the school supply sales for 20 cent boxes of crayons, cheap glue,etc. A nice idea is a canvas (small , on sale, with a set of watercolors tied on) Or a big ziploc filled with crafty odds and ends like fabric scraps, pipe cleaners, beads, stickers, etc., add a bottle of glue, a small canvas and they have a project!
For those who sew, kids love to get "busy bags". You take whatever appropriate fabric you have and make a small handled bag that will fit a coloring book and crayons (or whatever) You can get lots of $1 a yard fabric (or some fancy remnants for older kids) For an older child put in a sketchbook and pencils or feather pen and diary. (all from the $1 store)
or you can make a jewelry pouch (or treasure pouch or whatever fits the theme) (You know the ones that are a circle of fabric and then you lace the ribbon through and tie)Again the fancy fabric scraps are great here. Fun to fill with fake jewels, sea glass,mini seashells, bracelet, necklace ,etc. from the dollar store. Or fill with pennies from your change stash.
There is always the option of "going in" with someone! Put your money together and make it work harder!
These are way cute gifts--I'd love to receive those--they're cheerful! For a friend's birthday a few days ago I stopped by the bakery and bought 6 cupcakes, which they put in a cute little clear plastic box with individual holes for each cupcake so they didn't get messed up. I took it home, added a package of colorful napkins and tied it with ribbon and made a little card out of (a scrap of) scrapbook paper. I tucked a wallet size picture of our family under the ribbon (I rarely print pictures now with digital, but I'd recently had a few wallets made of our family at the beach, so it was convenient) and dropped it off at my friend's doorstep. Nothing fancy, but with sprinkles on the cupcakes it looked cute and yummy.
I am the re-gifting queen. I get many great gifts that are just not my style. They are nice, well-made, and often expensive. I have no problem re-gifting to someone I think will like it better. I hope they do and the item gets used, or re-gifted along the trail.
For children's gifts, my sister buys sale things ahead of time to have a stash. She also doesn't have her kids open their b-day gifts at the party. When they open them at home they discuss the item to see is it something they really will use and play with, or should it go in the stash or to a charity. Most of the parties in our area don't open gifts, so it's not noticed by anyone.
I am the re-gifting queen. I get many great gifts that are just not my style. They are nice, well-made, and often expensive. I have no problem re-gifting to someone I think will like it better. I hope they do and the item gets used, or re-gifted along the trail.
For children's gifts, my sister buys sale things ahead of time to have a stash. She also doesn't have her kids open their b-day gifts at the party. When they open them at home they discuss the item to see is it something they really will use and play with, or should it go in the stash or to a charity. Most of the parties in our area don't open gifts, so it's not noticed by anyone.
Lovin your blog -- very inspirational! Great comments on budget friendly gift giving. I like to give passes -- to the movie, zoo, science center, etc. And I might just start putting them in a bucket! My latest fun gift was juggling squares made from scrap fabric :)K
Ooooooooooooo! Great idea, and I am going to read all of these hopefully. :) I like to make things if I can actually do it and actually think of something a person will want. For children, that is more realistic. Make bean bags out of real beans and 4 inch squares of fabric! You can add some herbal teas to the beans. Get a pack of white t-shirts (that end up costing about a $ each). Embroider a quick image, initial or iron on something cute. Make play dough and package in those neat clear containers that I want to know where you got! :) Gather a stack of yard sale books that are still new or look new.
Such great ideas you and your readers have Nester! I have been taking notes! At Christmas (for coworker and acquaintance gifts) I like to make homemade peppermint hot cocoa mix. I pack it up in nice jars and attach mixing directions to it with a spoon and a candy cane! :)
Post a Comment