Fair warning.
Want to make a super lush, thick, wonderful Christmas garland for your mantel, above the kitchen cabinets or to place on your buffet? Well, you need to make sure that you have enough greenery.
Over the next two weeks check and see how much garland you have. If all you have is the super scrawny anorexic garland that you can see through and you are hoping to have a full, wonderful garland this year-- you either need to have lots of the skinny stuff or supplement your collection.
Try hanging out at your local thrift shop. This is the time of year when people pull out the decorations and purge. If you are in need of some greenery, second hand is the way to go! Most of what I have is from yard sales. We'll be making that stunning jungle like garland from my mantle in just a few weeks! Get ready!
An Assignment
Scrawled out by
The Nester
on
11/03/2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
60 comments:
Yea! I can't wait!! And the thrift stores are my "home away from home"!
I know I shouldn't , but I do...I covet your fluffy frou-frou garland! I am going to attempt to beef up my anorexic one this year. I sooooo want to be you when I grow up Nester!
I can't wait for the next post! Thanks! Vanessa
Nester you are my hero! LOL
I am going to tell hubby that you said we have to go to the thrift store for our assignment! He'll love you for it! I can't wait!
oh my goodness..I can't wait! Your mantle looks absolutely gorgeous! My outdoor garlands are looking very anorexic..I might have to spruce them up too!
Oooh yay! I've always wanted to know how to make something like that!!!
Off to find some green....
I gave you a little shout out on my blog...it's a mistreatment dedicated to YOU!
Will you please come to georgia and decorate my house? I'll have a newborn during the holidays, and decorating is out of the question!
I can't wait, I will need to go hunting!
So very pretty!!! That firplace and mantle makes me want to sit down and drink hot cocoa with Christmas music!
-sandy toes
I am sooooo excited!! I've been coveting that garland since you shared it last year!!
YEA!!! I was waiting for this!
Want to come to my house and try to do something with my pitiful mantle? Can't wait to see the amazing things you come up with!
I love that mantle...It is gorgeous! Did the boys have a good Halloween? :)
I'm so glad you are going to share how to do this! I love your mantle!
Your new layout is GREAT!!!!
I woke up in the middle of the night last night thinking about the garland for my mantle. Sad but true. Can't wait to learn more.
PS Love the new blog layout! Great look!
Your mantle is stunning. I'm in... off to go do as assigned! Thanks. :)
Love your blog and love today's photo. You are such an inspiration. I am a new blogger and hope it's okay that I added you to my blogroll. I look forward to dropping in everyday to visit with you.
I'm ready! I have the skinny stuff times 3 going on. It will have to do. But I can't wait to jungle it up!
Just say NO to wimpy garland!
I just love thrift stores... I usually end up finding lovely jewelry to cut apart and create new things. LOVE that.
Yippee!
I asked my hubby to start pulling out my Christmas boxes.
He mumbled something about sticking forks into his eyeballs...
Blind hubby or not, I'll be there.
I can't wait to see what you come up with!
Like a Norman Rockwell work of art, your photograph makes me wish I could jump into the picture, and live there happily ever after. So Beautiful! How do you do it?!?!
I too covet you and all your wonderful and perfect projects! I was just looking at some garland at Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware. I think I will be patient and wait for your lesson.....
I have two houses to decorate this year and I cannot wait to fill them with your ideas, projects and tassles (which I have bought two of so far).
Thanks for letting us in on your secrets!
Goodwill, here I come!
I can't wait to bulk up my lame garland and wreaths as well. Those wreaths you make go to a whole new level of wreath-ness.
Yea!!!! It's time for Christmas!!!
I am gathering my garland now.
I am almost beside myself waiting on all you fabulous decorators to start Christmas stuff!
So gorgeous! I accept this assignment!!
I just love your Christmas picture. It looks so cozy, warm and inviting.
Your picture of Christmas past always looks so warm an cozy. I can almost taste the eggnog just looking at all the pretties.
And I am in need of snazzy garland, so I need to stalk the thrift stores, I guess.
Can you please bring back your playlist???? Just set it to not come on automatically. I loved seeing what you were listening to. It's nice when people have music optional on their blogs, yours was one of my favs.
I just have to ask, was it my request that led to this post? If so, yippee!
Melanie
your home??? Oh, I could so live there!!
This is one of my favorite pictures from your site--a dream Christmas look. You inspired me to trade in our "baby tree" which we used for the first 15 years of marriage for an 8-footer this year (I plan to place it on a box so it will almost touch the ceiling when decorated. Since Goodwill and the Salvation Army are my second home, I will be waiting with bated breath for your garland tutorial. Miss Kris
Play list?!
I miss it too!
I tried to log into my old acct and cannot even remember my login info!!!!!
And yes, I was planning on doing this post but, Melanie, you convinced me to do it ASAP! Which will actually be in a few weeks!
So start collecting!
Can't wait!
Im going to have to hit up my local thrift stores this weekend. Thanks for the idea!
If anyone's thrift stores are out of the anorexic greenery, I know that my attic "store" will have plenty for everyone. :) Just come shopping at my house. Sad, but true! For once, I guess I should be really excited about that fact. :)
Love that picture w/your tree lights warming the room! I could lay on the couch with lights out and nothing but tree lights and just daydream for days because it's so pleasant!
I have greenery coming out of my ears, but I am sure I will get more! :) hehe IM READY!!!
Oh please, don't make us wait. I want to know NOWWWWWW! (and I also want to know where you got your topiaries on your mantel)
can't wait to make some garland! oh, and another thing I can't wait until... seeing you on Saturday! hope you are doing well, dear :)
Bring on the Christmas ideas because I'm ready for 'em!!!
I can't wait for the next post!
I love the mantel & also I really love that star above the fire place.
I so want one of those!
okay, so now that you bring up garlands...i guess that was one of those splurging items like your silhouettes...HAD TO HAVE THEM! I was VERY particular about the thickness and "realness" of the greenery, and I'm pleased with my splurge!
(I posted yesterday on my silhouettes after your inspiration!)
thanks,
-kristen
I just trimmed some evergreen bushes outside that were getting out of control. I'm thiniking of saving the trimmings and sticking them in a pot outside. Not sure if they will make it to Christmas but I've seen Martha Stewart and others do this and maybe it will work.
My husband says I cut too soon but I had the urge to get the extra branches out of the way.
So fake indoor evergreens are not bad like fake flowers? (poopies, right?) We do a live tree every year and a fake Advent wreath that DH and I made together (very special to me). That's about it. I would love to know how you display your holiday greeting cards. Thanks!
That garland is seriously beautiful...The whole scene makes me in the mood for Christmas!
I'm way ahead of you. I printed out your mantle picture months ago, and I've been hitting Hobby Lobby and consignment stores ever since! I can only hope it turns out half as nice as yours! I'll show pics when it's ready!
LOVE LOVE LOVE the new look. Wow. Great site and so you. And maybe when you come to my house this weekend, you can class up my house for Christmas since I pretty much have lame-o decorating sense. :)
Beautiful! Will you come decorate my house for Christmas?????
Good night! How tall is that Christmas tree? Whoa! I love it!
oohh, I can't wait! I was lucky enough to get a bunch of FREE garland with nice christmas balls and ribbon from a store that closed over the summer...it was FREE...it looks pretty fat and I was just thinking I need to make me a garland swag after seeing yours a few posts ago! I will be waiting with baded breath :)
Janae
Okay that is a beautiful picture can I move in??
Can't wait! Woohoo! GO NU! (Nester University).
Karol :0)
Bring it on, sister! I've been needing to know this for years, now.
oooo I am so excited about that!
Oh what lovely pictures. I love the christmas one. Christmas is my favorite holiday.
I can't wait to learn how to make the garland! I'll be checking back daily!
Hey Nester - can I use your second picture on my blog??? It's beautiful and I've got some Christmas posts I'm doing. Please let me know if it's NOT okay because I have no idea how to give you credit or note who took the pic. THANK YOU!!!
Post a Comment