Bird Watching


The Secret Life of a Happy Homemaker @ Down to Earth

Enter to win an iPod! @ Spring Decorating With What You Have at the Decorating Voice.

3 Steps to Less Clutter in the Kids Room's
@ Small Notebook

Town Hall for Hope
@ Money Saving Mom--It's Dave Ramesy people!

Painting Cabinets
@ Chatting at the Sky

I have to include this quote from the post Emily wrote about her painted cabs:

By far, the most repeated comment I received on that post went something like this: I love your cabinets and would love to paint mine, but I’m too afraid.

Uhhh, what? Seriously, girls. It’s time to take back the house, put on our big girl pants and face that fear. Was I afraid? A little. Why? What if I didn’t like it? What if people laughed at me? And what if it was wrong? Besides, there was plenty of opposition.

My father-in-law said not to paint the cabinets.

My realtor man said not to paint the cabinets.

And yes, even the painter said not to paint the cabinets.

But all of these people had two things in common: they were all men and none of them live in my house.
Bravo! She did it and she'll encourage you to do it too if that's what your heart desires!

*******




I bet you've seen this pretty button around blogland. Have you signed up yet to attend the online conference, A Woman Inspired? Some of my favorite women will be speaking: Melissa, Lysa, Allison, Amy and a whole slew of real women. And I don't think the other Amy is speaking but I heart her and she is working her tail off for this conference too!

It's April 6th - 9th and I'll be attending {if you can call it that--I'll be sitting in my PJ's with an iced coffee at my dumputer} and so will my sister. Hope you will be there too! If you sign up by April 1st it's only $12.95! And, I've got 2 free tickets for two lucky winners. Just leave a comment to be entered. You have until midnight on Monday.

*******

Addicted to fantastic ideas and links and photos?
Visit the Nest Files.

46 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow, what a great post you linked to at Down to Earth -- just what I needed this morning! I was sitting here dreading the upcoming day of running errands. Her post made me slow down and think that maybe I can simply take my time and try to enjoy the experiences of the day.

Thank you Nester -- you are one of my fav bloggers!!

aggiemomof2 said...

That conference sounds awesome. Thanks!
sylviarj at yahoo dot com

Aimee said...

That sounds like so much fun! Pick me! Pick me!

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

Hooray for Emily's comment! Painting my cabinents was teh first thing I did before moving into my house. Take back your house. Excellent words!!

Please sign me up for the inspired tickets. I'm praying that I win.

Erin said...

I am so happy that you wrote about painting the cabinets... I'm struggling with that RIGHT now. I just need to do it.
That conference sounds great!

Bridget said...

Hi, love your blog. I have tried a window mistreatment, shopped my house and am going to be painting with as-close-as-I-can-get-to-tobacco-road in May! I don't want to sound too much like a groupie, but this site has change my whole perspective on decorating! Thanks so much for your candidness.

Oh, please enter me in your drawing too! jbbbandb at gmail.com

Girly Stuff said...

So how was your unplugged day? I was anxious to hear about it. Or are you still unplugged and this was a post set to post? Are you cheating and doing it two days?

If you are, have a great time with your sweet family!

Anonymous said...

Oh that conference sounds so fun!

Precision Quality Laser said...

Thanks for the link to The Secret Life of A Happy Homemaker...just what I needed to hear as I face a hectic weekend!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the great links! I love all of the ideas.

The conference sounds wonderful as well.


Traci

itsme.traci@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

The conference looks great!!

Stephanie said...

I would to "attend" the conference! You are one of my fav. blogs--I visit you almost every day. I heart your can-do spirit!

Debbie Petras said...

I would love to "attend" the conference. But the first day I have a commitment for most of the day. Anyway, I thank you for the links. I checked out the first one about the secret homemaker and loved, loved, loved it. What a change of pace! I want to go there to relax! I'll check the other links too.

southerninspiration said...

I actually won a ticket from Antique Mommy, so I, too will be joining you in my pj's....and coffee, and fun!!!

Suzanne

Wendy said...

Sounds like fun. Please enter me in your drawing. Sitting in my PJs at my computer sounds like so much fun.

Tiffany said...

This sounds like fun! Sign me up!

Mama said...

I've been mulling over the conference all day, since I read about it this morning on another blog. Now, if I were to win those tickets -- why, that would be an answer to prayer for sure! Thanks, Nester!

Unknown said...

Wow I'd love a chance to win! Thanks!

fortyb4forty said...

The conference sounds interesting. I think its a great idea.

THE BROWN BOYS said...

the conference sounds like a really great thing! I'd love to win!

http://thingswithwingsartjournal.blogspot.com

Amber Dee said...

oh, I hope I win!

Lesley said...

I want to be a woman inspired... :)

Jeanne Oliver said...

I love what you posted about the cabinets. Sometimes you just have to jump in...the men will love it after the fact...they always do:-)

Amy said...

LOL - LOVE Emily's post! There are some good words there!

I just want to thank you for your "Tobacco Road Block" post - bought me some mixed by Sherwin Williams... and fell in LOVE - will be painting next week!

Please consider sending a BROKE woman to the "woman inspired" conference before she runs out of creativity, and before she tackles painting a beautiful color on her kitchen!

Eww... I'm speaking in the third person again, aren't I?

Nepperess said...

Love all the great links, and the "conference" sounds intriguing.

Mom in High Heels said...

I read the post on Emily's blog and that quote really got me. We are (as you know) a military family and move a lot. A lot, a lot. When we moved to TN, we actually bought a house (that is now for sale) and I was scared to death to do anything to it. I didn't even paint the walls until a year before we moved (we'd owned it for 2 years at that point). I hated the oak colored kitchen cabinets and light fixtures. Did I do anything about them? No, because I was *afraid* to. Why? Because I knew we'd be selling the house at some point and didn't want to "mess it up" for the next owners. {sigh} I new wish I had done more. We did change the faucets in the kitchen and baths, painted, landscaped and changed some light fixtures, but oh how I wish I had tackled the cabinets and back splash. Now, I wish I could do stuff to the kitchen, but the Army frowns on that in quarters. I wonder what they'd do if I painted the cabinets? :)
At our next house, I will be bold!

jessiev said...

Great post! I loved the links. I adore the black painted cabinets! I just recently got over my fear of painting
furniture...although I have made the choice not to paint something for sentimental reasons, I think painting old stuff(or even new stuff) is the way to get exactly what you want. I also love the conference idea. Looking forward to it. Thanks!

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

EXCELLENT post!

Decor To Adore said...

Such creativity abounds in blogland.I LOVE what Emily said. Now, I am off to paint something...

SarahGirl said...

I wanna go! Yep. That was a whine. Just thought I'd try one on for size....
I would love to go to the conference. And, thanks for the great links.

Little Lovables said...

I love what she had to say about painting her cabinets!

And the conference sounds wonderful, I would love to attend.

Christi said...

I love the quote from Emily - I read it at her site last week, and I've thought about it several times while I'm planning how to decorate my new house without buying anything.

Abbreviated said...

I would enjoy a free ticket !

Wifeof1Momof4 said...

This "online conference" sounds ... interesting. I would love to attend, especially since I just had surgery and won't be going anywhere anytime soon ...

BTW, my inlaws JUST told me DO NOT paint the cabinets if we plan to sell the house. :)

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Please add my name to the drawing...would love to attend the seminar. Thanks

Stay Cozy, Carrie

Flip Girl said...

I read Emily's post the other day! She is inspiring!
-Flip Girl

Anonymous said...

I really want to paint my cabinets. My husband really doesn't want me to paint his cabinets. Maybe I should experiment with the bathroom first? What's the worst that could happen? Thanks for the encouraging words and all those fun links! Off to explore...

Wendi
wbrant@nc.rr.com

PS - please enter me in the give-a-way! The conference sounds like just what I need! But even if I don't win I will still attend. Sounds too good to miss!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I don't think I realized it was online. What an interesting idea! I'll have to check that out.

Great quote from your sister. I'd be one of those people saying they were too afraid to touch their cabinets, too! Hers turned out beautifully, though. :-)

Jodi said...

thanks!

Gayle said...

That conference sounds like a GREAT event! Please enter me in your drawing for free tickets.

Emily J. in WA said...

thank you for being upfront and honest in your craft room post. It was a good reality check for me to read that I need to evaluate my craft habbit and reasons for indulging my every craft whim. after a good long think, I'm off to make my home a bit more beautiful with a fab mistreatment in my country kitchen.

Keep those fantastic posts comin'.... thay have inspired me so very much. thanks a ton!

Emily in WA

ps. I hope I can win!!!! :)

Cathy said...

The conference sounds great. I spent some time looking through the information the other day. I would so love to attend & am definitely trying to make that happen!! I LOVE your blog...always inspiring! :)

Allison said...

I love the inspired words - they make me feel liberated! I'd love to be at the conference too!!
nutmegally(at)gmail(dot)com

Caryn said...

That conference sounds wonderful. I would love to win the tickets.

Loraena Tuttle said...

please enter me too. I would love to come.

Amy said...

I feel EXACTLY the same way about the things that I create/make. I HATE it when someone tells me what THEY want me to paint or make. STRESSES ME OUT! I have adopted the principal that people either like my stuff or they don't and to be creative and an artist I need to just stick with what makes me happy. KEEP ON DOIN' WHATCHA DO!! I love your style!