
Welcome to your weekly fill of staging hints, tricks and good ideas. Remodeling Guy and I are walking you through how to stage your home for sale or for your own benefit.

Photos: Do it Yourselfer
Remodeling Guy here: I sure have been motivated myself by the great ideas for staging! In fact, I find the ideas so useful for everyday life that I forget that we're talking about selling! I guess that's the point. Make people feel like this is a place where they want to live! So what should we focus on as we step from the pretty porch and into the hacienda?Well, Remodeling Guy, as potential buyers walk through the threshold and enter into your house what is it that you want them to feel and think? I'll tell you. You want them to think, "This house is spacious, this house is attractive to me, this house is cared for and ready for me to move in, and I'll take it." Right?
Most likely they already know how many bedrooms and baths there are, what school district you are in and if there is a garage. You have managed to get them in the door and that means they were happy with what they saw on the outside--good for you! Now you have to sell them on the inside.

1. Making a home seem spacious:
All of the photos in this post are courtesy of my friend in real life and fellow blogger, The Do it Yourselfer from Pink and Polka Dot. Her house is for sale and she has done a fine job in maximizing her home's space. Let's deconstruct how she did it.
- sparse decorating
- white slipcovers
- solid rug on the floor
- defined focal point
The white slipcovers are not a must have but sure do go a long way to add to the overall feeling of relaxation that you get when you look at the room. Am I the only one ready to slipcover my sofa in white? The Do it Yourselfer also has an easy slip cover tutorial--the best one I've found yet. Patterns do seem to fill a room so if your sofa is a pattern {like mine} you may want to go easy on the pillows and excess window coverings.

If you have wooden floors you might want to consider removing the rugs. This will put the focus on the pretty floors and make the room seem bigger. In this room, the use of a solid rug is ideal because it covers carpet and makes the room feel larger.
The focal point in this living room is clearly the fireplace. Yet because of the sensible pale color on the walls, the eye {or eyes if you have two} is drawn up to the vaulted ceiling. The columns are painted white and add lots of character in the room. Also, notice the windows--they are simply dressed and the blinds are pulled to the top to allow maximum lightage. This room gets an A++!

Neutral decorating is the goal when selling your house. This does not necessarily mean only using neutral colors but it means decorating in a way that is attractive to the masses. The pictured house still holds true to the style of romantic cottage but it's not overdone with rose wall paper and pink paint. It is fresh, it is current and it allows any prospective buyer to imagine the home with their furniture.
Dated furniture has a tendency to date a house. As much as you may love your dad's 1970's recliner, don't give the potential buyers too much credit and assume they can see right through it. While your house is on the market it will be best to pack away and HIDE anything that might cause your house to seem old and dated. Believe it or not buyers can't don't always give the house the benefit of the doubt. A sparsely decorated room is better than a room full of mismatched bachelor pad items.

3. The house is cared for:
Remodeling Guy, why don't you coach us a little on this point since I have hogged this entire post? I'll make your words be golden. You know, since they are worth their weight in gold and all.
I think you're completely right when you say that the house should seem well cared for. It makes great sense to take care of any little issues, not only right at the entry but throughout the house. I would suggest a coat of fresh paint, if not on everything, at least on the trim and doors.

Just going over the woodwork with a quick coat of fresh paint makes a huge difference to my eye. While working on that door, maybe switch out the hardware to new inexpensive hardware that has that fresh clean look. People will notice that it's new when they open the doors to peek around.

The more cared for the house looks, the less concerned buyers will be about bigger issues such as the roof and Heating and Air-Conditioning systems. Again the first impression is important! If a buyer sees a broken door knob at the coat closet, the little mental alarms will start and it might cost a whole lot more than the $25.00 for new hardware!
The home featured in this post is located in the Raleigh, NC area. Want to find out more? Please contact me and I'll forward your email to the owner!
Related Posts:
Staging: The Exterior
39 comments:
Hey Nester... I finally get to see the pictures! What a great job she did! We might have some use for those slip covers in our house!
Thanks for having me over again...if you lose half your readers I'll understand why you don't invite me back!
If you gain readers on the other hand... Hey...readers...tell her you're new and you'll be back!
Thanks!
Tim
Oh man, I never thought of doing all that stuff, good thing I'm not trying to sell anytime soon.
And we're supposed to paint everything TR too, right? Working on that. It really is a nice, sophisticated color, that makes me feel so grown up--when I look at the two walls I've finished so far. In three months. So lame.
So I need to get rid of the beastly blue, it-was-free-or-would-not-have-passed-the-threshold recliner? No slipcover would help it. Maybe I'll put it on the curb with a free sign, along with all the junk we'd have to hide, but can't seem to get. RID. of.
Ha! You two crack me up.
I love the photos. I'll bet that house will sell in no time. I think your suggestions are right on the money (not pun intended). Great post!
We recently sold our home due to an interstate move. As usual, we painted, cleaned, repaired, decluttered and had the garden looking great.
We also had a lady come through who was a professional stager. One of her suggestions was to arrange the furniture so that *we* controlled the traffic flow through our home and chose what people *saw*. This is a great way to minimise bad features and maximise good ones.
During opens-for-inspection we were advised to have ONE pathway through the house, again to maximise good features. For example, the laundry room door leading to the clothesline and service yard was locked, but the french doors leading through the family room to the courtyard and down to the garden were kept open.The garage doors and side gate were locked so people had could only enter and leave through the front door (where the agent was standing to collect their details.)
We sold our house for more than we asked in a falling market, due to five competing bidders at our auction. I do believe all the effort paid off.
Kate
We so needed you two for our house in Idaho. But who is crying? I'd rather be here where I can see you! Beautiful post, BTW.
Great post! We're in the {dreadful} process of cleaning, repairing, and updating our rental home and it is A PAIN. But I think we're going to jump on all of the ideas in this post concerning the maintenance, and then again on all the staging advice when the market finally turns around & we can get it off our hands.
Thanks again for a wonderful post!
I'd be interested in a more in depth post about home maintenance {I keep spelling that wrong} & all those things that help a house seem very cared for.
Thanks for the great tips!
Great post! What a wonderful home!!! I love the white and splashes of blue!
Our old house..we had completely done with paint and wallpaper. However, when we sold our realtor said it needs to be completely repainted and wallpaper down. She told us people can't imagine things or their stuff with your style.
She was right..after months of not agreeing...I did and sold it in 3 weeks after~
Why can't people like a French Rooster sometimes???
sandy toe
Beautiful home. Another reason why I kind of wish I lived in NC! At least I will for 1 week this summer. :)
Great advice, thanks guys!
Her home is lovely! She did a great job staging it. It won't be on the market long!
Great tips. We are going to start working on our porch and and some landscaping. We can't do all that we want, but for now we can make some changes that will make the front look much nicer. I am slowly working on the inside with painting and decorating.
Her house is gorgeous - I love the muted colors she uses.
Great Post, even if you aren't selling this is a good way to look at your home. Makes it really inviting for you and all your friends. Hugs, Marty
Great sound advise for us all! I still try to think of our home in "staging mode" and keep things clutter free, few family photos (although we have to have a few!!!) and a nice warm palette. You both are so talented, and could take this show on the road, literally! Thanks for another great post! :-)
Stop by our blog for a giveaway if you have time...because don't we all love a freebie?!? :-)
Love you Nester,
Denise in Colorado
P.S. My bunny tassel arrived on Sat. and it is adorable! Perfect for Easter! :-)
Hi Nester (and RG!)
You guys did a great job, summing it up. I staged homes for a couple of years, (but it took too much time away from the family.)
It's important for homeowners who are putting their house on the market to stop thinking of their house as a "home", and to start thinking of it as a "product" that needs to be MARKETED. Then it becomes (a little bit) easier to declutter Little Susie's doll collection and Big Daddy's prized taxidermy (spelling?) collection! ; )
Thanks for the great post!
SO MUCH HELPFUL INFO.
WE ARE RENTING, AND OUR LANDLORD IS PUTTING OUR HOUSE ON THE MARKET. HUMMM... IF I DO JUST THE OPPOSITE OF ALL THAT YOU SUGGESTED...
JUST KIDDING. IT'S IN GODS HANDS. THANKS SO MUCH.
HUGS FROM MAINE
What a great post. Thanks for sharing such wonderful pictures of Pink and Polka Dots home, its beautiful. I live in the triangle area, but not in the market for buying at this time, but I just may try to visit if they have an open house. I would love to see it in person. By the way I am working on my porch, if it ever stops raining here then I might get it finished. We do need the rain so let me be thankful.
I think I want to move to Raleigh now. Great post guys!
love, your two eyed sister
Beautiful home. The staging worked! They shouldn't have any problem selling.
Thank you for the shout out. Been lovin' these staging posts you guy's are doin'. They have become pretty handy...if I do say so myself! xoxo
Good ideas. I like to make my home ready for showing whether its to sell it or host a party! Thanks for all of your tips!
Oh, I see a bidding war coming her way! She did a great job of staging and you two did a great job of spelling out the details. Good infor here!
~Misti
Hey Nester! I love reading your blog. I too did A LOT of research before putting our house on the market. you can go to my blog to see the pics. We even took out a sofa to make the room seem more open. I wish I had before and after pics, it is totally different.
Thanks for the tips!
I completely agree with everything in this post. We sold our house a few years ago (in 12 days...much better market then) and we did everything that you suggested. I would like to remind everyone to not over look the small details...we even made sure the screensaver on our desktop computer matched the decor lol. A small detail that can become a BIG detail is how your home smells. While looking to houses we noticed that a lot of people overlook this.
Great post!
Thanks Nester! It doesn't matter to me if they live in my state or not, if they want to buy, we want to sell! :)
Great post Remodeling Guy and Nester! I love mentally "stepping" out of my home and taking a birds eye view of it. (heehee. no pun intended. seriously!)
You know how, when you have been on vacation for a while, and then you come home... you see stuff in your house in a whole new way (or is that just me? weirdo.)? These posts are doing the same effect for me. Thanks guys!
No plans to move, but I am still LOVING these posts.
Staging a home totally helps sell a home. In my past life, I was a Realtor in Charlotte, NC, working mostly with high end clients. The empty houses didn't show as well as the homes that were staged and decorated lovingly. Great post!
I love nearly every blog post you write! Thanks for showing how to make home enjoyable. I gave you an award at my site. You can visit http://heathershodgepodge.blogspot.com/2009/03/uber-amazing-blog.html to pick up your award.
Great post. I must say that the green shutters over the fireplace seem a little off to me. The shape is about the same size as the opening. Perhaps a white wreath in the center of the shutters could help to balance and bring in the neutrality that the rest of the home has. Beautiful place and I love all the white slipcovers!
@Life--I know what you mean at first about the shutters but I actually like how they balance off the big black hole that is a fireplace.
And, she opens them to watch TV so I'm sure her husband would throw the wreath out the window on the very first day she tried to pull that!
Sometimes it's nice to have a punch of a bold color and I think she did great choosing those!
Oh I am a big fan of that do-it-yourselfer! The house looks fantastic and I always love your hilarious posting style!
The house looks great because of the glass bifold doors and windows.
Great ideas- rules to live by =}
Love the color on the walls- by any chance do you know what color they are?
Thanks
@Life on an artistic shoestring,
I tried to paint them white and they looked like someone vomited on them...seriously. Then I spray painted them black. The green was kinda getting to me to...they actually match much better than the green. I just hated looking at that big TV hole...and my husband WOULD absolutely toss a wreath out the window. I, DO, have to tell every man that looks at the house...that there IS IN FACT A TV HOLE and pull the shutters down to prove it;0)
Teresa, The color is called "white sage" from Lowe's. It is discontinued, but you can still ask them and they'll mix it up for ya!
Help me! I NEED, nay, MUST HAVE that color green on those walls! Please-oh-please share with me!!!
Many thanks!!!
So much work to "stage"! First packing up the whole household goods while still living in the house? I will check back when I will need to do this soon.... anyone want to buy a house on the river? Great ideas, know it needs to be done!
Alyzabeth's Mommy
Gorgeous home!
Is there a way to find out the paint color they used? I love it.
Really nice nesting place, cool and great look because of the awesome interior furniture.
Post a Comment