Best Yard Sale Find

Y'all, I'm so excited about this I can hardly stand it! Remember that chandelier that Angela and I {by I, I mean pretty much Angela} found at a yard sale the other day? Remember she paid $20 for it? REMEMBER?


Remember how it was haphazardly thrown in the back of my car?


Apparently, this fixture is from the Thomasville Roxbury collection and sells for $1327.50! And Angela would never had known if it weren't for her eagle eyed neighbor! Yeeeee Haaaaw! Way to go, girl!

Have you ever bought anything at a yard sale and found out later it was worth something?

84 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bought an OLIVETTI typewriter in turqouise blue, featured in this post: http://number17cherrytreelane.wordpress.com/2009/05/11/move-that-bus/

for free. It is worth about 450.00! HUZZAH!

BlueCastle said...

That's incredible! I once found Bauer plates for $1 each, but that's probably the only "treasure" I've found yardsaling. Your friend did great!

Mrs. Darling said...

Nope my luck is that I buy something at a yard sale and get it home and its junk. Waaa!

Shelley said...

It occurs to me that you might not want to know EVERY time I copy something from you. But I really wanted to show you my first window mistreatment, and say THANK YOU!
http://barnaclebutt.blogspot.com/2009/05/room-with-too-much-view.html

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Not anything like this!!! This is FANTABULOUS!!! I would just sit and admire it everyday!!!!'

What a find! I am envious....

Lou Cinda :)

WhisperWood Cottage said...

I bought a silver tea set at an auction. After some web research I found it was worth over $800!

Amy

Anonymous said...

nah......I would not be so impressed by poshy name brand stuff! It does not have to be pricey and all to be beautiful! :)

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Yes. I scooped up two windsor backed chairs with armrests with the most gorgeous lines ever from a place that sold used furniture. They were black and drop dead perfect. I purchased them for $80 each I think.. or $80 for two, I can't remember. A woman saw me walk out with them and asked me if I had ANY idea what I was walking out with? I told her two gorgeous chairs. She proceeded to tell me where they were made, HOW they were hand dowelled, and they were worth $1500 EACH. She told me to RUN. LOL

I later looked online and found what she said to be pretty much on target!

I still have them and LOVE them.

Donna

SoBella Creations said...

DH and I found a box of cards for $1.00. In the box of cards was an 1943 WD Card that is worth well more than a the dollar we paid.

Tiffany said...

Holy cow! That's amazing!!!!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh my word, what a fabulous find. It is gorgeous regardless of the cost, but wow !!!!! Hugs, Marty

Laurel said...

Wow that's great! Is she planning on painting it or changing it in anyway? What a find. It makes your heart happy when you find a treasure like that doesn't it?

Bobbi said...

I got an armani suit for my husband once. Fit perfectly! $10 bucks. Weird!

Sara Neufeld said...

LOVE it!!!

Heathahlee said...

OH. MY. GOSH!!! What were those people who were selling it thinking??? Way to go Angela! Woo hoo!!!

Melissa Stover said...

awesome! i've never found anything worth something to anyone but me. i'm a newbie at yard sales.

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

Daaaaaaaang! That's gorgeous! So will she keep it or try to "flip it" ? :)

Kim said...

Woohoo! Now THAT's somethin to celebrate. I'm still waiting to find my true treasure!

Unknown said...

In regards to Lisa's comment, my mom found an original lithograph of the signing of The Declaration of Independence. We saw one on the Antiques Road Show for $2000.
Cha-Ching!

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

I'm not that lucky! :) Your friend got a great chandie for a great $$!!

Sandra said...

That is fantastic!! I love chandeliers!!

Anonymous said...

Never found any treasures but I SO need to know where y'all find yard sales that have stuff worth buying??? I live in Bladen County, NC (aka the land of no yard sales) and wouldn't mind traveling to find some great deals!

I am jealous of this find! Way to go ladies!

Little Oak Table said...

so, do ya'll have some sort of strategy about where you yard sale-like hitting the ritzy-er neighborhoods first or do ya just drive around?

Kasey said...

That is awesome. My Mom bought an antique toaster for $10 and sold it to a guy in Germany who's Ebay name was Toastie for $1,100.00!! She couldn't even talk to me she was so excited when it sold for that much!!

Rachel said...

I hope we get to see pictures when it's all up and finished.

Kristen said...

Can we go to yard sales together? I could use your eagle eye!

Alyson said...

I found a Learning Tower for my kids at one of my neighbors yard sales for $6.00! They retail for around $190.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.forkandbottle.com/cooking/recipes/images/cheese_herb_scones/learning_tower2.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.forkandbottle.com/Kids/kidscook.htm&usg=__-N-bkGxHPGeh9duPVfOARrCOTlA=&h=618&w=278&sz=121&hl=en&start=49&sig2=QwTIpGP_bjqaPWzbfPBV3g&um=1&tbnid=Mr99osBM3uBQsM:&tbnh=136&tbnw=61&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwooden%2Bkitchen%2Bstand%2Bkids%2Bcooking%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4GGLL_en%26sa%3DN%26start%3D36%26um%3D1&ei=LpAVSp7JHZWDlAe8ldjwCw

Amy said...

I bought a set of china at an auction once. I didn't know much about it, except that it was pretty and traditional, and I didn't own formal china, so I needed it. No one was bidding, so I got it for $20. I wasn't sure how many pieces were there until I got home and started to unwrap everything. Service for 12 plus serving dishes, gravy boat, sugar/creamer, etc. I looked up the value online - over $2,000. I love it, and smile every time I use it. I also found several pairs of designer shoes at Goodwill once. All looked brand new (and were my size!). I recognized the designer names, but I had no idea they were so expensive. When I got home, I looked them up on-line, and most of the shoes originally sold for $175 - $300. I got them for $2.50 each pair. I think I could write several pages about the fun stuff I have gotten super cheap that turned out to be a real treasure. Isn't that half the fun of thrifting? :)

Becky said...

One word: Ebay! : )

Seriously though - congrats! What a huge bargain. I have never been that lucky to find anything worth more than I paid for it.

Lisa-Marie said...

How fantastic! Congrats on the fantastic find!

I once paid £1 for a wind up travel alarm clock(the we fold into a box ones) because it was cute and worked, and have since found out its worth a couple of hundred pounds! yay! x

Unknown said...

Nope, I personally am never that lucky! That's so awesome!

Jen said...

Wow. Amazing score. I wish I could say my thrifting/junking endeavors were as exciting. But I did make a car full of women stuff a shabby dresser in car and in turn put their purchases in its drawers so everything would fit as we drove from Canton First Monday Trade days back to Oklahoma City! I'll never forget it!

Trish @TheOldPostRoad said...

I am having a yard sale on Saturday and certainly hope no one posts about the STEAL they found at MY SALE. oh, dear!

Amy said...

When we were first married I found two black and white prints of buildings in Italy that I fell in love with. We bought them from an elderly couple who asked $2 each for them. I reseached the artist later and found out they were part of a limited edition series worth approx. $1000 each. We were struggling financially at the time so my dh wanted to sell them but I was still so in LOVE with the prints that I couldn't part with them. They are in my living room now and I smile every time I see them.

The Stain Family said...

WOOOHOOOO! Talk about a bargain! Look all that money she saved! ;)

Shaam said...

Yah I have had that happen with a couple things and I love the feeling lol. Recently a teacup of mine, that just broke in an earthquake, was worth something like $25 dollars and I got it for $2. The best deals I get are when I buy things from thriftstores.

All the best,
Allison

Kathi said...

WOW! That is amazing! Good for you! The chandelier is beautiful too!

Unknown said...

HOLY CRAP! That is one heck of a steal! Once a moving neighbor (an older widowed gentleman) gave me a set of dishes that he didn't "feel like moving." I saw the exact same set in an antique store a couple of years later for $500. I looked at the marks, and yep, they were identical. I was floored. He later told me they were a wedding gift when they got married, so they were about 50 years old. Such a nice gift! I looooovveeeaahhh finding great deals like that! I dunno if that one can EVER be topped though!

Kimberly Wright said...

OMY! What a terrific find! I need to start going to garage sales again!

Unknown said...

Great find! I'm afraid I never have any luck finding yard sale treasures.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

That's a great find! I hope she hangs it up and enjoys it.

And yep, with my many years of yardsaling, I've found some great treasures. My best one yet was last year, I found 4 Dickens plaques (highly collectible & expensive) for $15. I knew they were valuable, but had no idea HOW much they would be worth. Put them on Ebay & all 4 brought over $700 (there was major bidding on them). Yeah, that was a good one, will probably never happen again, but fun once in a lifetime.

I have found a few pottery pieces that were very collectible too that I bought & resold.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

WOW! I once bought a pair of beaded vintage handbags for like $4 each. They were a little beat up, but similar ones with the same old designer were selling for a couple of hundred bucks on Ebay. Last week, I got a German gingerbread tin on whim ($3 with some other stuff). They're also selling big on Ebay. :)

Teresa said...

Holy Cow- I've never had that kind of luck- I need to shop where you do =)

Angela said...

20 years of yard sales, I was due a great find!!!! I stopped by a yard sale on the way to the grocery store one Saturday. It was almost lunch time so I figured everything good was gone. I asked the lady if she had anything left and she said she didn't have anything but tons of fabric!!!!!! Being a sewing freak I almost fainted on the spot. Turns out she was an interior designer who was getting rid of some of the most beautiful fabric I had ever seen! She still calls me to this day if she has anything she wants to sell!!! That was a good day!

Nicki said...

This wasn't at a garage sale, but at Goodwill recently I bought an adorable black velvet shrug for my 3 year old. It was $4, on sale for $2(1/2 off children's clothing day). We came home, and as I was looking through the clothes I noticed a tag still on the shrug. The brand was 'Charter Club,' and apparently that little shrug cost $68! I was very happy :)

Becky Darlington said...

WOW! That's crazy! I've bought lots of Pottery Barn things for dirt cheap but never something that pricey. Way to go!

Cheryl @ a pretty cool life. said...

I wish! I used to go with my boyfriend's mom and she had an eye for all the diamonds in the rough. I, on the other hand, have an eye for junk that turns out to be a treasure only to me.

Still Learning said...

Holy Cow!! I don't even go to yard sales. Maybe I should.

Anonymous said...

Since you won't tell your readers I have to share the private yard sale I was able to attend at your home last weekend - I hope you won't be mad at me! But I have to preface it by saying that over the past two months my 5 year old's favorite Star War figures have gone missing. Trying to figure out what happened to them isn't nearly as tragic as how sad he has been that they are gone. This past weekend our fortunate family had dinner with the Nester, and as we sat down to some appetizers she casually mentioned that she was packing for her move and had some extra things if I wanted them. I tried to act all cool and calm but I think I screamed "yes" and "lets go see the loot NOW"! We went upstairs and there in the hallway was my son playing with Star Wars toys, and Nester said "Oh look, he is already playing with them." I was nearly in tears - she didn't know that my sons toys were gone, and that she had just restored them and then some. Nester, he hasn't stopped playing with them since we left your house. You are such an inspiration and your giving spirit knows no bounds. And then to find out that the toys you gave my son are worth big, big bucks? The value of these toys is irrelevant compared to the joy you have brought Happy Boy - it is priceless. I big neon pink flashing heart you.

Unknown said...

OMGOSH!!!!!!

Never anything that cool!

Seriously, that is just Fantabulawesomeacious!

(yes my made up word is just so awesome, can you guess what it is?)

J.J. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
J.J. said...

I deleted that comment...toooo many typoes in my excitement.

That is so wicked-awesome-cool!!!! That excitement would carry me for a while. I am cool to know you....and I knew that fixture before it was "THAT CRAZY EXPENSIVE" fixture! :)

thanks

Kristi_runwatch said...

That is so great!!! I think I would be VERY tempted to resell that puppy on ebay - think of all that yard sale cash you could make! :)

Rachel said...

While skipping through my local Goodwill, I happened upon an antique cabinet card. Now usually those babies are my fav but this one was BORING, even still I took it home so it wasn't lonely. Turns out it was signed by the photographer and worth more than $300 dollars. I sold it to a dealer for half of that and felt prit-tee good :o)

See it here: http://yardsalemama.blogspot.com/2008/10/turning-2-into-150.html

~Rachel

Montee said...

Wow!

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

What an incredible deal! I would be squealing with delight too. That chandy is big and beautiful...and did I mention that it's GINORMOUS? LOVE!

~Amanda

Unknown said...

That chandelier is beautiful--and knowing what a steal you got makes it all the better. About the only thing I've gotten like that is a McCoy cookie jar. My husband brought it home after a visit to his great aunt's. I hated the thing till I discovered it was worth about $350 (and that was 20 years ago)!

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

Wow! I love hearing stories like that. Makes me want to thrift & garage sale more. My husband finds stuff all the time like that. Not quite that fabulous of a find, but he once turned a $5.00 kayak paddle from a thrift store into $150 sale on ebay.

Audra Lynn said...

Holy cow! That's awesome!

Jessica Morris said...

WOW!! That is amazing! :)

I got a piece of art for $10 and got home and googled the artist and his stuff sells on average for $500, so it was a pretty sweet deal!

Sara said...

So I showed my mom your post from your garage saling weekend. She screamed at the site of the bird cage! Of course we were out garage saling, but found nothing so wonderful. So I'm SOO glad for this awesome follow-up, but I can't show my mom....she may have a coronary.

Unknown said...

Nope, none of my stuff is worth anything! :)

Karol said...

I didn't buy this at a yard sale, but my husband's aunt was moving and we were helping her and she had this painting in a back bedroom and it was hanging on the wall still (even though she was packed to go and the house was up for sale). I thought the painting was beautiful and I asked her about it. She said I could have it and that she bought it for the frame at a garage sale to make these velvet christmas tree pictures with costume jewelry and lights that she made every year.

The painting in the frame is an original water color painting by a famous German mural artist from Chicago, Gustave Adolph Brand. The signature is G.A. Brand '41

http://www.schurzhs.org/ourpages/Library_Murals.jsp

Here's a picture of my painting that I uploaded to my art site: http://www.karolsart.com/030108GABrandPainting.jpg

It is much more beautiful in person.

I am not sure of the value. I have not read of him painting water colors so I am thinking it may be quite rare. To me it is priceless.

Karol :0)

Rebekah said...

Who are these people that spend 1300 dollars for a light fixture???!!! I might spend that much on an automobile...

Sewing-Chick said...

I think my all-time best find (one of them at least!) was at a thrift store. I found a calendar framed with a cheapo black frame for a buck. Oh, I forgot to mention the calendar was from the 1800s! I'm sure that antique would be worth more than the dollar I paid for it :)

Martha said...

Oh, yes, we've found some true treasures at yard sales -- which is why one does them -- looking for that gem.

Miss G said...

I linked to you. :) Kelly

Lara said...

I found a retro Schwinn bike on the curb during junk week that someone was throwing away. It was in near perfect condition and it worth somewhere betwee $200 and $300!!

ByHISgoodGrace said...

I once bought a china set for $5 from a yard sale. Dinner plates, salad bowls tons of tea cups, saucers, the whole shabang (a 75+ pieces) and when I looked it up it was worth over $1,000. It's an uncomplete set, so another time I saw some more pieces at a consignment shop for $25 (worth quite a few hundred.) I love it still and I've had it for about 10 years.

ByHISgoodGrace said...

Oh, and we also found a John Boos butcher block table for $120--it retails for over $1,000.

Wendy said...

It's just like Antiques Roadshow! Only it's not antique...and it's not a roadshow!! But I love the high appraisals of inexpensive finds...so cool!!

Sarah said...

I found a cake decor set that I bought for about $2 and it is worth $40. I found the best of the Electric Company on dvd last week for $1-it was 4 discs!
I can't believe the value of that chandelier! What a find! Amazing!!!

A. M. Newsom said...

Even though it would look great in the house - I would be selling that chandy! Imagine how many things you could get at Yard Sales for $1300!...or a good emergency fund, if you are doing the Dave Ramsey thing!

Kim said...

yes, I did! I bought {for 5 bucks} a Kelly B. Rightsell print on canvas - worth 250!!! There was absolutely NOTHING wrong with it! The girl said she got it as a gift and it never matched the room!

I wanted desperately to blog about it . . . . but Kelly B. Rightsell has commented on my blog several times - didn't quite think blogging about my good bargain would be a good idea!

Lorie said...

Lucky! That is beautiful! They must have heard people were selling them at yard sales because they discounted it 80% ;D

Still, it is over $300 and you got a STEAL!

Kim -today's creative blog said...

Yes, I bought a cool pineapple for $2.......I got it home only to see the original price tag on the bottom for $85.
And my Mitchell Gold Sofa and chair I scored for $500!

Jen said...

The closest I've ever come was a pair of brand new (probably worn all of once) 14 eye Dr Marten boots for $10. Fit my hubby perfectly. They retail (on the website) for $200.

http://www.dmusastore.com/p-2350-vintage-1914.aspx

The Nester said...

Lorie: I think that is the SAVINGS amount from the original price of over $1600! I still see a price of over $13000!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I found a $50 Cutco knife at an estate sale for 50 cents. The best one yet for me.

Beth Whitney said...

That is awesome! I found a really cute purse at the thrift store, and splurged on it for my mom. I think I paid $6.98. Come to find out, it was a Brighton purse, and all her friends are jealous!

Kimberly said...

Needed a vase. Went to the local thrift shop. Found a pretty one for twentyfive cents. Got it home to find "Baccarat" engraved on the bottom.

HAH!

morethanthestarsinthesky said...

Wow! That is AWESOME!!!

Amanda

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! That is so exciting about the GREAT price on the chandelier! I have always wanted to make a discovery like that! Nothing yet!

Jessica said...

Yep! Bought an end table for $150 that retails for $1000 at Shine Home:
http://shineeveryday.com/.