Kate



Sometimes people ask how to deal with having to leave the house they love {because of a job loss or interest rate hike} and move to a smaller condo, a place they'd rather not be. They want to know how to think about it, how to deal with it and how to accept it. There are lots of things you can do to make any place a home. But the biggest thing I've found to help me be content is to be grateful. Be thankful for what it is that you do have--it's probably a lot more than you think.

I've been keeping up with the McRae family and little Kate every since Angie wrote about them. I know there are so many families going through junk like this. And if you are the praying type, remember Kate. You can start at the beginning here. And her Caring Bridge Journal and Photos are here. Be careful. It only takes about 3 minutes to completely fall in love with this family.

38 comments:

Richella Parham said...

Oh, Nester. You're so right. There's so much for us to be grateful for--and it's so easy for us to get caught up in making things better that we fail to realize how good things really are. Kate has a rare, difficult illness--but for many of the rest of us, simple gratitude is the cure for much of what ails us. Thank you for the reminder.

thank you said...

WOW! This was exactly what I needed to read this morning. I've been crying a lot because we're dealing with a child with anxiety; and we're seeking treatment. But he's able to walk and run, is a good kid and a straight A student...so I need to stop bellyaching and be greateful! Thank you.

Mary Ellen said...

Wow! That certainly puts things in perspective. I've been fretting over the fact that our 4year old has been slow with potty learning. But there are families out there that are dealing with things that are so much bigger.

May I ask that everyone also remember a little girl by the name of Gabriella in their prayers. Gabriella needs a new heart. You can visit her Mom's blog here

http://listeningthruthenoise.blogspot.com/

Scooper said...

Thank you Nester. It has been a week of self-pity in my house...over things that pale in comparison to what the McRae's face. Thank you for the reminder to be ever-so-grateful.

jen said...

Thanks for posting about Kate. Aaron (Kate's daddy) and I are friends from high school. This little girl's life has captured the hearts of so many people and God is doing some amazing things because of her. And she doesn't even know it. Thanks for praying. Thanks for sharing.

Bethany P said...

I've wanted to tell you that you have actually helped me have perspective on the whole "renting" thing. We may need to sell our house and rent for awhile, due to job loss, and I never thought I'd find myself here. But by watching how you've made your home(s) so beautiful and so "you", and by rearranging my priorities a little bit, I know it will be ok. Seriously, you are right. There are worse things in life. Time to be grateful.

Marie said...

I have also been following Kate. This is such a heart breaking story. I check the page a couple of times a day because the parents are so good to keep us informed. Why do bad things have to happen to good people? There are things we will never understand.

Jenny said...

three minutes to fall in love? try three seconds. certainly praying for that sweet blondeness!

Candace said...

Dear Nester,

Thank you so much for sharing this sweet story of love and hope. My husband comes home every day with stories of children who are not well. He works as a surgical tech with one of the best children's neurosurgeons in this country.

EVERYDAY, there are children who have brain tumors, or need a shunt, or need part of their brain taken out due to seizures. Some of these families are blessed to live closeby the facilities here (St. Jude and LeBonheur) but others are here from other states, even other countries. Home is now where their child or their family is.

After losing both parents to cancer before I turned 28, I can't wait to get to a Home where everything is perfect and beautiful and to see face-to-face the Most Creative of all.

Revelation 21:4

pcb said...

I've been following this family, too. There's no such thing as too many prayers...

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

A wonderful reminder, being grateful each day is what it is really all about...Janell

Sarah said...

thannk you for posting!
such grace and love that family has.
Praise be to God.
Praise be to God.
May he bless them today and forever.

Do you know if they have a blog?

Kathryn said...

Thank you so much for posting this...I had no idea. How precious this family is...and how rich their faith.

I cry with them because of their precious Kate...and also because I cannot imagine being in their shoes!

I, too, pray for God's glory in Kate's healing.

The Nester said...

This is the dad's blog:

http://aaronmcrae.wordpress.com/

but it seems like they update the caring bridge site a few times a day--I went back and started from the first entry and worked my way up. Just remember to start at the bottom of each page to read it in order.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more with you. When you see the stuggles of others, it reminds you to be grateful for the things that are really important, like your family's health, shelter, and food on the table. I love decorating my home like the next, but I realize it is just a hobby and if I lost my home and still had my family together and healthy thats all that matters. I don't think I would shed one tear over material things, they are not lasting anyhow. People are always the most important thing, thanks for the touching post, their family will be in my thoughts as I go through the day.

Cathy said...

Yup, being grateful totally helps put things in perspective. You have to let go of what others might think and just BE with what God has given you at the moment...cuz it is enough. :) Nice post. Thanks.

Little Lovables said...

Thanks for this post, I hope everything goes well for them, such a sweet family!

I lost my father to leukemia when I was 23.

He had it since I was 6 months old, so I was practically raised in hospital rooms and neighbors houses while they traveled for his treatments. Up late at nights taking care of him in his weakest moments. It is so very sad that there is so much suffering in the world, yet there is always hope and faith and the Lord strengthens us through these experiences.

Anne Marie said...

goodness..........we all can learn alot here.

Together We Save said...

Thanks for the reminder. I must try and be more thankful for all God has done in my life.

Anonymous said...

I agree. I always tell myself to *count my blessings* when I am down or something's going wrong. It usually could be much worse. That beautiful child, no child should have to go through what she is. And her parents, my hearts go out to them. It is heartbreaking to read, but I'm glad you shared their story. I will be keeping them in my prayers.

tina

tinam61@yahoo.com

erin@vittles said...

Thanks so much for sharing!! Sweet Kate and her family are certainly now in my prayers.

Jill said...

Oh how true!!!
and I have been praying my heart out for that precious family!!
Thanks for your post to share their story!!!
Many Blessings!
Jill

Anonymous said...

Coming from a family with a brother who is severly autistic I can somewhat sympathize with Kate's family. However, sometimes the "Oh you have it so bad, it makes me appreciate what I have" line gets old. We must remember that Kate is just as much a blessing as any other "typical" child. I know most commenters don't intend to send this message but coming from "the other side" you get tired of the pity. God has blessed many families across the world WITH disabilities. My family's life has been enriched by my brother's autism, not hindered. Please check out the Joni and Friends ministry if you're seriously interested in supporting disability ministry. http://www.joniandfriends.org/

I Corinthians 1:

27 But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; 28 God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, 29 so that no human being [3] might boast in the presence of God. 30 And because of him [4] you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, 31 so that, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.”

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this story with us! It is so important to think and pray for others. I've been thinking of Kate and her family ALL day today. Your awsome!

Colleen P. said...

I'm in the minority here in that I am not a believer in any deity. However, gratefulness for the good things in ones life does not necessarily come from being told one must be grateful-it comes sometimes from having to do without those things for a time, but most often simply from enjoying your life and all that is in it.

None of us have any idea when our last breath will be taken-so we must enjoy every breath we take. None of us have any guarantee that our children will be whole and healthy-so we appreciate our children for who they are and love them as long as we have them to love. There is no promise from anywhere that a job will not be lost or that you will be able to stay in your dream home the rest of your life.

So, enjoy the life you have, embrace the people you love, do good things for others simply because it's the right thing to do and makes the world a nicer place for everyone. If you know parents that are facing a childs severe illness, make them dinner, offer a movie and pizza night for their other kids, offer to take the kids shopping for supplies and clothes for back to school. There is so much that you can actively DO to help out.

Jenn said...

My heart aches for them. Makes me SO thankful for my healthy babies. <3

Donna said...

Nester,
What a sweet, loving family. Their faith is amazing. I will be praying, too.
D

Anonymous said...

I agree with Colleen P., we should all seek out people in need and try to help them, I believe gratitude is two sided, and prayer only goes so far. I know in my hardest hours when people have been there in the hard ways that has meant the most. I'll pray for you is sort of easy like words, actions always show love. I'll never forget working with sick children at the hospital as a volunteer and loving it, but feeling heartbroken as I left and would see teary eyed parents in the waiting area, holding it together for their children inside, and letting it out in the lobby. It never leaves you and thinking of it now makes me teary eyed and anxious to get back to that volunteering life. I also consider myself a hopeful agnostic, so with that I think every day is a gift, after all we all don't know for sure whats after so we should make the most out of our lives while we are here, and most of all try to make the world a little better before we leave. Anyhow thanks again for this touching post.

Lisa said...

I heard about Kate through Marla Taviano's site. Thank you for posting this video. It is a reminder for me to pray for Kate and her family.

Thank you for taking the time to stop by my blog. I was humbled that such a well-known blogger would take the time to leave a message on my little blog with two followers! :-)

I assumed you would know a ton of people going to She Speaks, but maybe not. If you want to try to meet up before the general session, I'd love to meet you. You can't miss me...I'm six feet tall, and I'll be even taller with my heals on!

Have a wonderful, blessed time at She Speaks!

Lisa said...

oops--HEELS!

Anonymous said...

I have never been so touched by a story. I have a 3 year old daughter and cannot imagine the pain that they are induring. My family will pray for Kate and her family also.

Through God ANYTHING is possible!

Laura said...

Thank you for posting this...I have been thinking the exact same thing...thank you for putting it all into words so beautifully.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the good cry and the reminder to be thankful to God for what he has blessed me with.

Jennifer said...

Oh, Thanks a lot Nester. I have tears running down my face. Thanks for a reality check. What a beautiful family. Thanks for bringing Kate to our attention. I think I'll go hug my six kids.

Audra Laney said...

I'm so glad to see other people praying for this beautiful family! They've been in my prayers for three weeks now. I think of them all the time when I'm out and about...how they're stuck in that hospital staring at the same walls. God is good, though. He is the Great Physician!

simply fabulous said...

Thank you for posting this! I have posted it on my blog as well.

Rebecca Corvese said...

Thank you for bringing attention to this family. I try to be grateful everyday because I know how blessed I am, even though I don't have a big house or fancy car, my family is healthy, my husband has a job and we are happy. I really feel so bad for so many people (many are our friends) that are out of work and home right now.

Unknown said...

Our daughter had cancer last year. Her tumor weighed over a pound when it was removed and it ulcerated and bled on a daily basis. It's only been a year since it was removed and she is a happy, healthy, cancer-free 3 year old! No one would ever guess she had cancer. I will certainly pray for that family as I know from experience how scary it is to have a child be seriously ill. Thanks for posting this!