31 Days to A Better Dressed Nest :: Day 23~Group it


Welcome to day 23 of A Better Dressed Nest. Let's jump right in with today's tip. For a bigger and better impact group like things together. It's that simple.

Group your succulents.


My boys even know the power of a good grouping.


My apothecary jars are all protected, I mean grouped in my glass terrarium.

I group pillows {bordering on layering}


Group colored dishes {layering too, hate me}


Paper lanterns look much better clumped together.


One dish on the wall is so lonely, pack them in.


If you have a collection of something, gather them all together and show them off.


I even pile all of our pretty soaps and brushes in a big bowl. They like being together.

One pumpkin on this table would be sad.


And art looks good in pairs and such as well.

What have you grouped lately?

Yard sale update will come later today, stay tuned, it seriously looks like it might rain and we'll have to postpone.

45 comments:

Shell in your Pocket said...

I love {grouping}. But, something happens after I started dusting...then those groups go away especially picture frames.

It is a struggle of mine...but I always admire a {good} group!

Sandy toe

Sandy Knutson-Grebner said...

Grouping provides such a wonderful impact and really shows off the collection. Objects need friends too. (smile)
Love the post! Keep up the good work.
Sandy
Look Again Interior Redesigns

Colleen P. said...

I love grouping-things have so much more impact when they're all together with their friends than when they've been split up and put all around the room like naughty children!

Unknown said...

I love groupings, but I never seem to get this one quite right either.

All the big items come easy, it's the little things that trip me up. I dunno why, but I appreciate your advice to help us work on it.

Leen said...

I love every single one of your gorgeous groupings! I am marking this post for future reference. Thanks!

Lynn Kellan said...

Grouping works well with friends, too! :)

Rachel H said...

I love grouping too! I think I am better at that than layering...I've only started to layer pretty things lately...I used to feel like I "shouldn't" cover up any part of something I loved that was on display. Weird huh! In case you wanted to see, I had to post pics of my "shopping the house" and reaaranging furniture,all inspired by you(again), dear Nester! Love ya!

Unknown said...

I love grouping! And I'd seriously drive to your yard sale if Mrs Edie (LifeInGrace) wasn't having hers on the same morning- and since she is only 10 minutes away- she's the winner of my money! HA! Good luck though!

Abbie said...

I put all my fruits and veggies in a wooden box on the "counter" (really a table) next to the stove, does that count? *wink* Not sure about this one either. I'm so new to even decorating anything - like a tablescape - that I'm not sure.

But I am inspired by your photos and ideas to look around my house and see what I have and what I can do!

Grace @ Ruby Moon Designs said...

I love the grouping idea...and the look...but I have a hard time doing that in my own home. I agree with the first poster...after dusting/cleaning what little "groups" I may have seem to disperse. I am going to try this option though, and see how it turns out...and today just happens to be dusting day, so I'll have an opportunity to put this nesting tip into practice as I go about the house sprucing it up! Thanks!

Sharon@Sharon at Home said...

Love group ... pictures or plates on the wall, quilts in a basket, silver frames ona console. Excellent tip.

Karen said...

I am headed out of town today, but will hit this grouping project very soon! I have sooo many old photos I brought back from my parents' home and they would make a lovely grouping. Think I will scan them in first and then frame them so that I can pick the size. Some are quite large.
Cannot wait...
Thanks!!
Karen
Ladybug Creek

paige said...

i love a good grouping....i used to scatter things everyhwere. tell me, what was i thinking?

love that table of gold & black frames , especially with a monogram thrown in.

i have such a crush on you!
:)

paige said...

crush...in a healthy blog stalker kinda way
of course

Katie said...

I love the boys' artwork...that's my favorite! Bless their hearts.

misty w. said...

Thanks girlie! That was my favorite tip yet!

southerninspiration said...

So you are finally admitting to being a grouping groupie, huh? LOL...I do the same and love this post!!!

Suzanne

Brenda said...

Um, yesterday I grouped the laundry. Now the "darks", "lights", and "towels" are not lonely.

Sandy @ The Scoop on Balance said...

I grouped pictures together on a picuture wall going up our stairs. It grew. It took on a life of its own. It threatened our very existence of life on earth as we know it.

I took it down after 5 years. Now I have three really cool frames grouped there.

Much better.

Sandy

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I group photos on the wall...need to try it on a bookshelf or something too.

I love the way your boys use the concept. :)

Richella Parham said...

I do love grouping, as you can tell from my "Home Tour" post today. . . I have my crosses grouped in my living room. I've always heard not to have anything so personal in a public space, but I think maybe that's one of those rules that I'll just choose to ignore.

I know! I could have a group of rules I choose to ignore. Maybe I should write them all down, frame them, and group them together as artwork. Of course, I would never display them in my living room. :)

Good luck with whatever you do with your yard sale. You are my hero.

Love,
Richella

2sisters said...

Thanks for all your great tips! I posted something you inspired me to do on our blog today
teri @ acraftyclan.blogspot.com

Tina said...

I grouped a bunch of faux mini pumpkins ( some orange and some white ) and just found I will be expecting a baby this May. My 4 month old will be one in June. Is that layering or grouping??

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Great examples, I love grouping several frames together. Don't tell me there are only 8 more posts in this series!
Janell

Jen@Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Oh yes, I am a master of grouping. Groups of books on my counter, piles, I mean groups of paper by the phone, lots of groups of shoes in the middle of my floor - but I am guessing that's not what you mean, my friend. :)hee hee
Seriously, though, it's so fun to see all the areas in your house that you've done this...amazing.

Anna K. said...

You know, grouping is a concept that I learned about a while ago, but I had forgotten it! I have lonely decor in my home...for shame!

Lovin' the apothecary jars, by the way.

Anonymous said...

I love grouping but why does it looks like clutter when I do it? LOL.

At Town Square said...

It always looks good when it's altogether!

Teresa said...

Yes...what a simple yet real and fabulous tip! Yes yes! Will keep that one in mind!

janis McCarty said...

I am having a garage sale this weekend also. However, every day when I read your blog I go and pull something out of the garage sale pile for layering, grouping, fixing up, etc. My pile of garage sale items is dwindling.

They Told Me to Write said...

Love your blog and your ideas! I'm in a "white walled" house for a year - you've really inspired me to make the most of it!

Colleen P. said...

Richella it's not a public space, it's your HOME!!! Even if it's in an area that "the public" will see, they still express a part of who you are and have every reason to be in your home on display. I certainly wouldn't be likely to say anything about a grouping of your crosses, any more than you'd be likely to say anything about the lack of them in my home. They're important to you and make you feel happy when you see them, and that's all that matters in your own house.

Unknown said...

I'd also like to point out that this is a validating reason for collecting. You can't group like things if you don't have more than one of something. My Grandma, a true grouper, used to say, "if one of something is good, ten of it is better!" Miss her.

Kristen @ Moms Sharpening Moms said...

Wow...a Nester tip that I almost sorta kinda already just a little bit do! Yours still look prettier than mine, however!!

Little Lovables said...

yes! grouping is so important!! ps, love those succulents, and the stacked, colorful plate shots!!

The Nester said...

Colleen, how sweet and encouraging you are to Richella. Y'all are the best. Teach me please?

Anonymous said...

Dear Nester,
I was wondering if you could tell me where you got those adorable silhouettes of your boys? I would love to order some of my kids. (What a great Christmas gift!)
Thanks for the wonderful blog... I'm a first time commenter but long time reader.
-Sarah

Andréann said...

I grouped my tea pots, and lately I grouped the pumpkin with the squash, and my witch hat collection.

I aslo have several group of candles+candle holder together

Colleen P. said...

Aw-now I'm blushing!

Alaska Girl said...

Loving this series! Thanks for all of the great ideas. I put a chair in our livingroom that was never sat in (it was in a bedroom) and my son said, "What? It's not pointing at the TV!" =] L.

Anonymous said...

I love your examples of grouping! I looked around my home and realized that I seem to create a lot of groupings. They are on walls, tables, dresser tops...I even found one in my linen closet.

Jenna said...

I also was wondering where the silhouettes were from, or if you made them? Thanks. Jenna

Abbie said...

I looked around my house, I have my kids' portraits grouped on the piano.

I have three kinds of succulents in one huge pot - is that a grouping? I'm working on somewhere to have several pots together, but haven't found it yet!

Oh, and I'm using some not-so-pretty shelves in my sewing room and putting vintage spools of thread, bobbins, fabric all together!

I'd like to work on a group in my kitchen, not sure what.

Andrea said...

I love the "power" of grouping.

Happy Decorating,
Andrea

dawgyah said...

I Had these egg and feather prints saved in my favs to order before my computer crashed. Can you please let me know where you got them?