I took all day Saturday and organized the downstairs of our house. Even though we've lived here for 3 months, I just now feel truly settled, almost. It takes that long for me to figure out for sure where to put all the pens and pencils, the best place for the dishes and how our family actually uses the house.
My favorite and least favorite part about moving is the settling time. Because for months, I have had to tweak and live in partial chaos trying to figure out how we will live in this new place. And then I get mad at myself for taking so long, because when you move every year like we've been doing lately, 3 months in chaos is 25% of the your life.
So, later this week I'll show you my office--how it looks now and all the different ways I've had it and why it didn't work for me. And I also came up with a solution for that awkward wall in our breakfast area that we talked about in this post I hope you approve. I even have a quick little project to share--see you soon!
Settling In
Scrawled out by
The Nester
on
9/21/2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
57 comments:
Glad you're finally feeling settled. That is the part I dread the most about moving... we haven't done it for 10 years & never since having the boys.
Can't wait to see your office. I'm sure it's just lovely!
I could have written your first two paragraphs word for word. We've been moving an awful lot lately - across the country type moves due to my hubby's job. Our last move took place at the end of August and I'm struggling to get our house feeling like home...It helps to know that I'm not the only one that struggles with this. I too can hardly wait to see your office! :-)
i know that unrest feeling that comes with not being settled. it does take a while to feel at home...even in your home! anyway, praying for your sweet family as you transition. hope to see you soon, girl...we miss you over in these parts!!
I think 3 months is awesome!
Well you do a good job of hiding the chaos because all the pictures of your latest house looked fine to me so far. But I am glad you feel finally at home in your new home. Looking forward to seeing your solutions!
we've been in our house for about the same time. i feel settled, but nothing is done...really. i can't wait to see pics of your office. if i showed pics of my studio right now...you would run screaming! maybe it will inspire me to organize mine?
We went through a period where we moved frequently as well but each move was to a different state.
I'm curious it seems you stay in the same local area with each move so what type of work does your husband do that requires you to move so often?
You know what we have been in our house for almost 5 years and I still dont feel organized and settled. Room by room I am trying to tackle a little at the time. Stop by and take a look at my organized homework/message center
It takes time to settle...I am going on three years and I think I am finally settled!(maybe...)
sandy toe
Can't wait to see it and I feel your pain. We've been in our new home for almost 2 months and I'm still not quite settled yet.
Jenn
Oh I just can't wait to see it!! I love seeing how you arrange {and rearrange} things and you just make it all work somehow. I'm looking forward to seeing both your office and your bfast nook.
I've been here 3 years and STILL don't have my house perfect.
waaaaaaaa !!!
I'm in the same boat :) I can't wait to see what you have done with the office!!
It's hard to remember how unsettling it is to move so often having been in my current home for 15 years now. Although, the longest I'd lived anywhere as an adult before this was two and a half years. You make it look so easy (and pretty!) but obviously it's not. Can't wait to see pics of your new spaces as you decide how best to use them!
I am glad you are felling a bit more settled. I always think it takes me about a year to feel that everything is "just so" even then the decorator in me is constantly tweeking and changing things. Can't wait to see what you have done with your office.
I've never felt settled in our homes for the last 2 years since they were part of our employment.
I can tell you it's a terrible way to live one's live.
Now we're living in a very small apartment. I have lots of stuff in storage. Again, I'm living in limbo.
I can sure relate to this post! I spent the weekend unpacking the last of the boxes and doing some 'cozying' in the house. Ah well, fall is a good time to be nesting.
Three months to settle in! That's amazing. I've lived in my home for three years and have just become to add the little "touches" to my home. It took me three years just to figure out how I like my living room!
It takes our family 6 months to settle in so I think your doing GREAT!
After months of renovations, there are rooms that are nearly complete. I know about the "unsettled" feeling. I'm learning to eliminate, because an organized home is so nice to wake up to.
Can't wait to see your office!
Lookin' good!
I love what you've done so far and I can't wait to see your office! Hurry up and share that project! :)
you're still amazing...3 months or not. i love what you've done with the open faced frame...what do you secure the little items on?
it looks great!
Glad you're feeling comfy - we've been here over a year & I'm still not happy with things.
Oh well, my house is always a work in progress anyway.
Your "sneak peak" photo looks so pretty. Wish I could get my hands on those white suitcases!!
Glad you are all settled, that is definately the hardest part of moving: trying to figure out just how you want things.
I can't wait to see your office!
-Lisa
http://www.whimsicalxpressions.etsy.com
I am so excited to see your office. I saw a bit of it on a video at (in)courage and have wanted to ask when you were going to show it! :)
And what a blessing to start to feel settled again!
Have a great week, Nester!
Shilo
Your arrangement is fabulous...smiles.
i feel the same way. we've been here now for almost 6 wks, and i still don't feel settled. my craft room is a disaster. we still haven't purchased our bedroom furniture, nor anything for the living room. ahahaah. . ..
i said something about you in my recent post! about how you say we are never really finished with our home!!!!
that office looks awesome by the way!
We have been in our home for almost four months now. There are still two spots with "piles" of things that need their place. I need to invite someone over for dinner or something so that I'm forced to put those piles away. It's been much more fun to do things like paint and put new hardward on the kitchen cabinets. One project at a time!
Don't be mad at yourself. It does take that long to settle in and figure things out--whether you move once a year or once a decade. In fact, I think for most of us it takes more than three months. But I for one am proud of you--because even though you haven't felt settled in, you've been LIVING the past three months. I'd say that it's time for you to pat yourself on the back, not beat yourself up. But maybe it's hard for you (like it's hard for me) to pat yourself on the back, so I'll do it for you: Bravo, girl. Way to go.
Can't wait to see your office. I have the opposite ~ I've had things packed up for over 3 months now {in anticipation of selling our house} and am feeling not very comfortable in certain rooms in my house. They are just "blah" to me now because I took our personality out. We are taking it off the market Nov. 1st {if no bites} and putting back on in Spring, so I can at least decorate for the holidays and enjoy all that. I hate not having my stuff around me!
It looks lovely. I've been living in our current house for four years, and I still have things that need to be unpacked! :-)
Your posts are always beautiful! I'm getting anxious already because I will be moving out of my college apartment soon and into somewhere new. I'm like you, I need everything just right! I can't wait to see the projects in the next post.
You are doing great! Settling in takes time. If I remember correctly, 25 women recently visited and were in awe of what you had already accomplished! But I know what you mean about it working for you and your family. That part takes time. Can't wait to be inspired with your office!! Blessings!
Can't wait to see your office. It doesn't take a 'move' for me to feel that unsettled'ness. My son moved out, we rearranged my daughter into his 'old' room. Then I did a makeover on my kitchen. LOTS of 'changes' going on at my humble home since part of the birdies have flown the nest. It's really a new 'season' in my life.
You are such a talented gal...can't wait to see it! I'm sure it will be just as beautiful and inviting as your last house.
~Kim
I just adore your blog. I just moved into a new home and I cannot wait to try a window "mis-treatment". Thanks for sharing!
I know what you mean exactly. We just moved about a month ago into a new house - for the most part the rooms are together, however nothing fits where it did in the last house AND we have more furniture from storage to use in this home. Sadly my "woman cave" isn't together yet :(
"Settled in" What a great feeling! I can't wait to see the office :).
I'm in month one of settling so it's good to know there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Sometimes the list of projects is daunting, sometimes I don't even like my own stuff and feel like selling it all. That's normal, right? :-)
Can't wait to see. Have had some chaos here too...been on the phone and on email with a few other bloggers today. We all had a bunch of content stolen from our sites and had to work that out. I hate chaos. It seems to like me. :)
I know about the chaos in moving. I have moved alot in my life. AND . . . I am 6 months pregnant, have a one year old and a a seven year old and am moving again in a couple of months.
We've been in our home for 13 years, settled is wonderful.
It took me over a year to feel settled in my place. Yours looks great...can't wait to see more!
smiLes
DarLie
I'm happy you're starting to feel at home in your new nest. Can't wait to see your reveals.
I feel settled, but still not nested enough. Things keep changing, moving... the homeschool area takes up more and more space every year. It's like the black hole. Soon the entire house will be covered in maps and parts of speech.
Can't wait to see your pictures. I need inspiration.
I hear you about the moving! What a great little space in the picture above...
Kelly
http://tearinguphouses.blogspot.com
Awesome! Keep up the good work! :)
Know what I love about your style the most? It's warm and looks like "home"...a person feels at home just looking at the things you have chosen. I browse absolutely beautiful pictures of rooms and homes, but honestly, I would be scared to enter some of those rooms or sit on the furniture. I'd have a heart attack if my kids were with me. No matter how lovely, that's not the kind of home I want to present to the world. Somehow you have figured out a way to have beautiful things and an amazing home but keep it welcoming. That's it: a person feels welome, wanted, accepted, comfortable. It just looks like a loving home. You've gone beyond beauty to blessing people with your four walls. May I figure out how to follow in your footsteps.
-Rebekah
annony/rebekah,
thank you for that wonderful, precious complement.
I am printing out your comment to encourage me when I feel like what I'm doing is useless.
Thank you.
I *love* the empty picture frame and old suitcases in this photo. We have been in our house a little over a year and I still have barely started all the projects I need to tackle.
Oh I'm so excited to read your e-book that I recieved from signing up for your blog. I have skimmed through it quickly, but like how you have asked us to make lists of the emotions we want to draw from out house etc...
I have a daughter who is also a young Pastor's wife and she has moved 3 x so far over the past 5 years. I will be telling her about your blog too.
Thank you and blessings to you,
Lee Ann at
encouragement-is-contagious.blogspot.com
Getting settled can be so "settling" ;0). It took us 2 years to finally get to painting the main areas of our home. My blog does show the huge change in it's appearance but the change that it has had on my outlook and feeling in my sweet cozy living room! I also had a wall like your and I am excited to see what you did with yours!! We knocked ours down :0). But that worked for us now all we need to do is FINISH it! HURRY :0)...post the wall :0)!
Yay for settling.
I wish I knew that feeling!
I've officially had it now - with my kitchen = grumpy mom! LOL
love ya!
I completely understand! Our rental is not only that, but also our first shared home and there have been a lot of kinks to work out when it comes to figuring out how things work best. We're currently considering sitching our bedroom and office rooms around because the current situation is causing a lot of mess!
Post a Comment