We've talked about making a list of words that you want to describe your home {and the feelings you get when you enter into it} and also about keeping an idea book. Let's take that list idea in another direction. It may seem simple and obvious to you bonafied list makers like me, but maybe some of you don't have a goal notebook for your home.
Just the other day I found my home notebook from 2006. I had a page where I wrote my goals for the year. Right up there in the light blue, you can click it to enlarge it and see what was on my mind at the time.
We didn't do all those things but we did get a permanent computer home, figure out how to address the empty wall in the family room, get a new/discount/damaged stove that looked great, repair and hang the window boxes, make shutters and hang them, make our bed stuff, and enlarge a photo. Most of the stuff was done quickly because we ended up needing to sell our house fast because of a failing business, but I still got satisfaction from things being done.
This is NOT a list of things that you need to write down and feel bad about and nag your husband about, NO! This is a place where you can put your thoughts to rest. Once I wrote down my goals for the house as far as areas that needed attention or furniture I would like to have, I could stop thinking about them so much. Since they were safe in this notebook, I didn't need to keep going over the ideas in my mind.
This is my favorite page because I remembered to cross things off. The highlight of any list maker's day. As you can see, I had a general page of things in the house that I was thinking about, and then a page for each room and things I was considering. Did we do everything? Nope. I had lots of question marks after ideas.
Go ahead and start a home notebook, include your ideas and your lists, and any doodles you might like. It's nice to have everything in one place and when you see a cute zebra chair at Tuesday Morning for only $49 you will be able to think more clearly about if you actually need it or not depending on if seating was on your list.
Two years ago I bought that chair but when I got it home it didn't look quite right with my stuff. But I had just done the list and knew that I was on the lookout for seating in our master bedroom.
Do you have a goal book for your home?
31 Days to A Better Dressed Nest :: Day 25~Set Goals
Scrawled out by
The Nester
on
10/25/2009
Labels: 31 Days
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
63 comments:
Oh, I do this one! We write our upcoming projects down as we decide them, so we can score deals when we find them (like painting the exterior of the house.) It is the single biggest way that we keep our renovations on such a tight budget.
I will be VERY sad to see this month end -- I'm loving this series and I'm loving you posting every day!
Oh I am DEFINITELY doing this! We have an ongoing list of things that need repair/replacement but not one list that says what we want to do in this house to make it "us". I think this is a huge oversight on our part, it makes our house seem like one big chore! Totally puts our mind set about our home in the wrong place!
Thanks Nester!
Great idea and great penmanship as well.
Funny, I am totally a list person---but I never thought about making one for my home. Perhaps because we're only leasing it, and there aren't a lot of things that we are able to do with it (at least not cosmetically), but still, I am going to take this idea and run with it. When I get something written down on my list it is amazing how much motivation I have to actually work on getting things done. I love to check things off! Haha! Great tip!
I am a list person too. I have to write it down or I will just keep thinking about it, especially at night when I am trying to sleep!
Thanks for all the wonderful tips!
I'm always on to the next project in my mind before the first one is done. We just did a short list for this weekend and accomplished them all! Gotta keep hubby busy!
I've loved your 31 days too, thx!
ps... stop by tomorrow to see my finished bedroom re-do!
I've always been a list maker, but the only lists I'd ever made about my home were task-specific lists, like cleaning before a big party or something.
That is, until a post from way back when - you showed a picture of a little red spiral notebook & said that's where you kept ideas for your home. {Does it totally creep you out that I remember every post you've ever done? Sorry!} Now I have a notebook too that has ongoing lists for my home. What feel I want, outside, inside in general, each room, things I'm on the lookout for at thrift stores, etc.
Thanks for the inspiration!
I am a list and goal setting person. We were just talking about lists and goal yesterday in my Art Marketing class. If it doesn't make the list it won't get done.
I do list all the time! But they are all over the place!
I thought about stappling them together- so I add "get a stapple" to one of the list!
I'm make a notebook and I'll keep them together now.
Hi Nester,
All of your tips have been wonderful, but this one really resonates with me. I have found that I NEED these sorts of lists of late. It's so easy to get overwhelmed, and to feel defeated when you forget how far you've come.
The doodles are so fun too. It doesn't have to be all serious. Love that.
Thanks (as always) for taking so much time to share all of your talents with us.
XO*Tricia
I am a big list maker, but never thought to put them in a notebook where I can refer back to them. Where do you keep your project notebook, or is it a section in your "everything" notebook?
I do this sporadically, but I should do it more. It really does create more peace of mind. Otherwise, I get overwhelmed with what mentally feels like an overabundance of decorating dilemmas and shortcomings around my house. When I write things down, it puts things into perspective and gives me a plan of sorts. Thanks for the reminder!
I do make goal lists from time to time. I think now is a time I need to do it again since I just began my "home interior revamping excursion".
I do this, as well as tear pages out of magazines and catalogs to help me narrow down my "wants/needs" lists. So, if on my list I have "curtains for living room" and I find a great pattern I like with the color scheme I need on page 52 of Southern Living, I tear it out and put it with my list.
I keep it all together in a file folder labeled "home improvement ideas", along with my files for my kids' school stuff in a magazine holder on my desk (which is just my kitchen counter next to the fridge--a built-in kitchen desk is on my list!!)
I JUST made a list of goals for each room last night - no kidding! ;) I'm planning on adding them to my current goal/dream book with inspiration photos sometime soon...
http://1wonderwomanwannabe.blogspot.com/2009/07/live-your-dreams.html
I am constantly making lists like this, but just on one sheet of paper...which usually ends up crumpled with gum wrappers at the bottom of my purse. I love the idea of devoting a notebook to this. Having your ideas and lists in one place must give you so much peace of mind.
This is such a good idea, and something I've been thinking I needed to do anyway. I have a short list of things on a post it note and another list of tasks in Outlook, but I think I would be more organized if I kept them in a notebook. Thanks for the inspiration.
Oh, and I LOVE your handwriting!
I don't have a goal book, but I keep inspiration photos, paint colors, and room ideas in a folder. I think I will start writing my goals out though, because I stress that everything's not done RIGHT NOW and constantly think about everything I want to accomplish.
Thanks, this will help!
Oh my gosh. I do this! My kids think I'm crazy when I sketch. And at times I really have the urge to 'sketch'. I love it!
The notebook is such a Great idea that I am going to start. So many times I get an idea here or there and write it on a sticky note and then after about a week or so throw the sticky note away when I'm in a hurry to get the counter cleaned off because company is coming!!! This notebook would be the perfect thing for me. And I love to doodle, so even better.
Thank you- you are just full of wonderful ideas that are helpful!
Lee Ann
You have really cute handwriting!
I do this too, but I have the list on the side of the fridge where I'll see it. If it's in a notebook, I won't notice it and will not do the things on the list. :)
i have these list ALL over the place, including drawings and sketches! I thought I may be crazy, but you have confirmed I am not! :) Thanks!!!
Thanks for this series, too! It has helped me SOOOO much!!!!
I love this post! Because I thought I was the only one who did this. I also carry a small notebook with me with measurements, etc just in case I run across something on my list. One change I'm going to implement is what I call this list. I've always called it a Wish List. From now on, it's a Goal List. Much more concrete!
No, not currently, but what a helpful tool! I did have a list when deciding to put our previous home on the market...all the items to address before doing so. It certainly helped decrease the stress of selling.
Janell
Oh and since we are renting my list is miniscule minescule? small. Like for realz. I need almost nothing.
a rug idea for the master bedroom
window mistreatments
a lamp or two
chair for my son's desk
purpose for a weird extra room we have
One of the many up sides to leasing a home!
First of all, your handwriting should be a FONT! I love it!
I'm totally a list maker. I have entire three ring binder with sheet protectors and dividers and all; just for home ideas. :) I keep fabric swatches, paint samples, "want" lists, "to fix" lists, etc, etc...
I loved this post. Every single post in this series has lit a fire under my bum and reignited my desire to get creative again. It's amazing how my creativity has been stifled with the busyness of life lately. I'm tackling my mother-in-law's old china hutch next week. It's going from 'blah brown' to shabby chic with fresh white paint and chrystal knobs/pulls. Thank you for your inspiration!!! LOVE IT!!
I love this post! I am a total list-maker. I started using a notebook about 7-8 years ago... EVERYTHING in one notebook. I don't like throwing my lists away... I like to see what I have accomplished. And it is fun when months (years) later I can look back at an old list and discover that I can check something else off! I do need more "setting goals" or visioning lists, I think. I like that idea better than just a a bunch of "hafta-do's". Thanks for sharing!!! Blessings!
Oh my goodness, how I NEED one of those. :) I have a "blog idea" book, but having one to write down all of my home ideas and questions would hopefully help me quiet my mind so I can sleep at night! Does anyone else lie awake redecorating their house???
You are a genius! Of course a list is what I need. THANKS!
Lists abound in my home as do my idea notebook and sketchpads! Complete with doodles, question marks and those slashy doo-dads...my penmanship isn't as cool as yours, howevah. ;o)
I don't have a goal book, but I think that's a great idea!!! Something to look forward to, plan for, and save for. :) Way better than sitting around griping about what's wrong with our house.
Seriously!!!!!!! I can't get past your BEAUTIFUL handwriting to make a stinkin' notebook of my own :) hee hee :) We have a new house....I REEEEALLY need to make a list....it's waaaay overwhelming :( Thanks for reminding me TO DO IT!!!!!!!!
You are so talented in all things decor, and I have never been envious of you until this. moment. Your handwriting is spectacular!! My friends tease me about it, but I've got a thing for great handwriting! You are one lucky lady! :) I'm gonna go back and stare at it right now.
I do have one. When I bought this house in November 2001 I was single. Before the closing date I started a book of what I thought I would like to do in each room, then after moving in, I changed it as I learned by living in it. Then in December 2002 we got married and I again changed things in my book. I also keep a "design book" (binder) of things I come across in magazines, features (built ins, window seats, etc) & decor that I love to use for inspiration. I am the binder queen! I have a binder for landscaping/gardening, one for parenting - ideas & thoughts about what I want to do, work on, craft ideas, trips to take, etc. Then there is the "holidays" binder - for seasonal decorating ideas. Then there is the binder for "our house" - this one not for dreaming & planning, but for what has been done, when, where, paint colors used, fabric swatches from each room, etc. It is different from the other book in that everything in this book is "done" and it is more a record to refer to instead of a list of what needs to be done. I am a big time list maker, and I guess binders are just an extension of that!
Yes, I do actually have a goal book! Not only for my home, but for my future family! I write things i've learned, things I want to remember, things I want to do differently with my children (when I have them), etc etc...
SO into the goal book! Love it!
Love this idea and I do it too! There is nothing more satisfying than crossing something off a list - but I have to remember that even if half of the things never get done, it helps so much to write my thoughts down. Thanks so much for a great reminder! Love your blog!
Such a good idea. It seems like such an obvious thing to do but I never thought about it. I just keep waking up in the middle of the night remembering what I want to do around the house!
Maybe this will let me get some sleep.
Hi I'm Renee......and I am a list maker. hehe
I love what you said about writing things down so that you don't have to keep thinking about them. This is SO true. I have a notebook going all the time with some sort of list or another. Grocery, Target, ideas etc. When we moved in to our last house I had a notebook just for the house. I had it set up by room and had a list of items needed and measurements of windows and walls as well as paint chips and carried it with me all the time so if I came across curtians etc I had the info with me that I needed. This has been a very useful tool for me and saved alot of second trips back to the stores.
I too have really enjoy you posting every day! :)
Oh yeah another helpful thing I also did was take a picture of each room so that I would have a better visual while I am standing there in the store trying to make that decision on if I should buy that chair or not.
I know very little about what this post is about because I was just too distracted by your cute handwriting in all of your photos. [Seriously. So cute.] I kept enlarging and examining it. You must have a favorite pen, too? I'd love to know what it is. I'm a total pen person.
Stacy, my current favorite pen is the Faber-Castell Roller Ball.
I like leaky pens and this is a great one!
Oh my gosh, I start at the bottom comments when I've been gone for awhile, and read up. Y'all are so funny about the hand writing.
I cannot write in cursive worth a darn so I guess I make up for it with my printing. My husband and I are both printing freaks.
I wanted to marry a man with nice handwriting. And I did. Isn't that weird?
Make sure you put your name and phone number in it. Just in case, you say, leave it at Lowe's and somebody finds it. In my case, somebody threw it away so now mine is decked out with ribbons {and my name and phone number}.
Sad to say I am an utter failure as a list maker. Over the years I have purchased numerous notebooks with very good intentions...do you think I could locate any of them now....not if my life depended on it ;-( I am so jelous of those people that can make a list and actually refer to it and use it! I think I will be happy just reading all of your lists.
I've been keeping mental lists of things I wanted for and to change in each room of our house since we moved this summer. And even keeping a photo file on the computer of ideas for colors, etc.
Now, just this morning, I WROTE DOWN all of the things I'd been thinking and it feels GREAT! I am a list person, I don't know why I'd never thought of this!
Thanks!
what a great idea! I especially like the paragraph about NOT nagging your husband, that :"Since they [to-do's, thoughts] were safe in this notebook, I didn't need to keep going over the ideas in my mind."
YES!
... and the satisfaction of crossing something off the list: measurable progress!!!!
(BTW: I FINALLY discovered a Tuesday Morning about 20 miles from my home: that place is like a treasure hunt! Loved it!)
I'm distracted by your fabulous handwriting... flowing little swirls...
I keep a home binder, with notes, pictures from magazines, ideas. BUT I haven't looked at it for weeks (months?) so it's probably not doing me much good right now. I'm a list maker, so this should be easy to implement!
This may be one of my favorite steps to a better nest. I'm just about to buy my first house and I've been redecorating it in my head over and over again. Honestly, its driving me nuts and causing me to lose a lot of sleep. So, the idea of just writing all my goals down and then meeting those goals once those closing papers are actually signed sounds very appealing to me. Thanks for the idea!
I have a challenge for you and your blog readers....come by my blog and see if you can NESTER enough to pull off this one...
http://jumpinginpuddlesoflife.blogspot.com/2009/10/try-decorating-around-this.html
This is all fun and games!!! Hey I will throw in a prize.....if someone can do meet my challenge...
I love making lists. I have a little notebook in my purse that's covered with household to-do lists. This is a much better idea. It's so much fun to cross things off too. :) 25 days! You're the woman!
You have cute handwriting.
I do this too! I actually started it because of all the inspiration I get from your blog! I posted pics & a description of it here (scroll past the first project & you'll see it!).
http://blackflipflops.blogspot.com/2009/06/pockets-notebooks-and-miscellaney.html
I can't believe that's just your regular handwriting!! It looks like a cool font!
Are you kidding me with that gorgeous penmanship of yours?!! Crazy pretty!!
Love this idea! I have done this many times when decorating a room and it does help to organize my crazy thoughts! I am defiantly going to pick up a book though and list all my projects in one place - I hope this can help me get on track! Thanks for the great tip and motivation =)
I just have to say....hands down you have the absolutely coolest handwriting I've ever seen....
It is very interesting to see that writing the things to be done for Home improvement in every part of the home for every year. I am attracted to this approach; this will definitely help in getting things done in a period of time. I want to get the new ceiling fixed in my living room. I will certainly follow your method of home improvement.
I'm with all these other ladies...Nester your handwriting is definitely something that should be a font! I am a font fanatic and I love your handriting! :) If only my home notebook would look as pretty as yours obviously does :)
Great idea... I really need to do this...adding it to my ever growing TO BE DONE list...LOL!
Oh, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does this. I don't feel so dorky now. :)
I love the idea of the goal book! I just started mine today. It's going to be a place for me to cut and paste ideas from magazines, too! :) Thanks!
Is that your handwriting...for real?!?
Just found and I will be back!( Threat or promise, not sure yet!)
My idea book is full of your house pictures....haha!
I am a list of lists and sometimes can't keep track of all of them but I can't help pick up journals here and there anyway! Love your musings and note taking.
Post a Comment