Tree Skirt Alternatives

{the only photo I could find that showed part of my tree skirt--a leftover piece of fur--no one ever focuses on the skirt, you shouldn't either}

I'm going to get hate mail for this one I just know it:

Do not ever purchase a tree skirt--use that money to buy more tree lights, we both know you could use them. Or use the extra money to buy gifts, if you have lots of gifts then who needs a skirt? If you have a skirt already, fine use it, but I'm convinced tree skirts were created by the government as a ploy to get us to buy yet one more unnecessary, unitasker thing.

Here are some things you can use to clothe your tree bottom instead:

  • An old curtain
  • table cloth {scrunch it up so you don't see the stains}
  • burlap
  • a piece of fur
  • two pillow shams layered around
  • extra fabric you have packed away
  • tulle
  • place baskets around the ugly tree stand and fill them with gifts
  • one of your own skirts from your closet--a full one
  • a quilt or pretty blanket
  • a sheet
  • lots of gifts {my personal favorite}
  • An old bridesmaid dress {strait from the brilliant comment section!}
If you don't have any of this stuff and live in an empty house, you probably need to buy other things more than a tree skirt. If you still insist on purchasing something, buy yourself a pretty fur throw and then after the holidays put it on your sofa so it has more than one use.

{I try to pick a tree where I can have lots of low branches--there's barely room for gifts, much less a poor little skirt}

Let the hate mail flow.

148 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will not get an argument from me. I completely agree. I have used a sheet or extra fabric many times. Some years(most years) I use nothing because the gifts are there.

Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for my Mom. She frets over the prettiness of her tree skirt that no one sees but her. Maybe it's generational.



Traci

Kimmy said...

You're so smart...seriously good advice here. Why spend so much on a tree skirt... they ARE expensive... AND the beautiful packages will soon cover them up... Love this post... ~ kim

Christi said...

Don't do fancy tree skirts here, either. My favorite is a piece of burlap.

Angela said...

I usually agree with everything you post (well almost everything!) but I hate tree themes and I love my tree skirt! LOL But of course, no hate mail from me. :-)We can agree to disagree.

(and I hope people will only use faux fur for their Nester-inspired tree skirts because fur is gross.)

Jessica S. said...

No hate mail but we do have tree skirt. I found one monogrammed with our last name on ebay for $10 5 few years ago (orig. Pottery Barn) and for that price, I got my money's worth :) In my kids rooms I have used extra fabric from leftover sewing projects for their little trees!

Hopie said...

I found an idea in the Country Living magazine this year. I used an old plaid pleated skirt. A real skirt that I don't wear anymore...in fact I'm not sure I ever wore it. For some strange reason I once thought I would look good in pleated plaid. Believe me when I tell you that the skirt looks better around the bottom of the Christmas tree.
In the magazine they sewed two skirts together...I just used one skirt and sort of put it around all willy-nilly and it still looks very nice.

Jennifer Owens said...

Actually I think your ideas are great, even though I'm pro-tree skirt. I love how you always think outside the box and what would be not only decorative, but economical too.

My tree skirt was homemade by my mom years ago and I consider it to be an heirloom. It always seems to complete my tree and I love having it as a reminder of her.

Hope you don't get hate mail - you have great ideas!

Sara Neufeld said...

I'm with you Nester!!

I usually use a piece of fabric. This year I used a good size piece of burlap...LOVE. IT.

I like the skirt idea too...if I had one I was willing to part with. :)

Also, our tree theme is woodsy...i.e....free sticks & pine cones from the yard. :)

Anonymous said...

No tree skirts here!

I used a piece of muslin for the little tree in my breakfast room. In the living room, we piled all the Christmas stuffed animals around the bottom of the tree. It looked great until the cat decided to crawl through them. :)

Leslie Bowden Nack said...

I use an old bridesmaids dress as my tree skirt! My tree is filled with whiye and silver ornaments and this dress is the perfect pewter color to match. It looks lovely and no one is the wiser (except my friends who were also bridesmaids in that wedding!)

Christine said...

I agree! While the designs on the tree skirts in Hobby Lobby are so very pretty, they are overpriced. I have used a pretty chenille throw in the past, and this year I threw a red and gold table runner over the base of the tree. Works just fine. I do like your fur suggestion, though. My kids would pet it.

Lindsay @ Makely said...

I bought at PB tree skirt on deep discount a few years ago that matches our stockings. I never had one before then, and I didn't realize that you'd really never see it once the presents are on the tree.

But, I like it and I know it's there. LOL I like your ideas.

Autum said...

No disagreements here. The prettiest skirt I ever had under my tree was a white sheet covered in some tulle with white lights between. It looked like glistening snow.

duchess said...

Completely agree. I've got extra fabric bunched up under my tree right now. Great minds.....

Granna Girl said...

I have an old quilt my grandma made that I use as a tree skirt. It is worn and too fragile to use on a bed, so this way I do get to enjoy it if only for a few weeks. The rest of the year it stays in the cedar chest.

Carrie said...

Mine is a plain red cheapie. I put the kids' handprints on it each year.

Jess said...

I love that my tree goes all the way to the floor. No need for a tree skirt, but last year I found a gorgeous one on clearance and I had a discount card that could be applied. I believe the original price was $45, and I paid less than $5 for it! It peeks out just enough...well, until the presents are set out. For $5 that's fine with me. ;)

Lari said...

No hate mail here, but I do have a skirt I love. It was a gift, so no $$ spent by me at least LOL! I love it because it has a nativity on it and since we don't put out presents until Christmas eve (too many littles) I get to enjoy it. Your ideas are great tho...we're in the market for a new house and if we get the one we're hoping will actually have room for 2 trees and this gives me some great inspiration.

Jennifer Juniper said...

I use a raw length of fabric or a blanket. Occasionally, I will even pull out an actual tree skirt. I like my branches low, too. (ducking the hate mail...wait, there isn't any!)

Southern Gal said...

I have a tree with low lying branches (and not enough lights). The only thing I hate about it is that I can barely see my quilted tree skirt made for me with love by my grandmother who passed away 3 1/2 years ago. She gave every woman in the family one in 1985 and I've used it ever since. It's also the reason I stick with my favorite red, gold and some green color theme. No themed trees except for the one with my children's handprints all over it.

So even though I agree with your advice, I LOVE my tree skirt for sentimental reasons. It brings me joy every time I put it out.

Ridenour Family said...

The first few years of our marriage I used my wedding dress train. It was sparkly white and just looked gorgeous. Then I sorta got nervous about having a yucky looking train and a pristine dress if I was going to hand it down someday and I bought a skirt (why do we worry about these things anyway? Like our daughters *really* want to wear our old dresses?) My dress was much prettier, maybe I'll dig it back out.

Ridenour Family said...

"much prettier?!"

KTW said...

No hate mail from me! I have a table runner wrapped around the base of my slimline and it is perfect in proportion for that kind of tree. Another of my trees has a quilt. I do confess that my large tree in the family room does indeed have an actual tree skirt that was purchased before I saw the light. ;)

Kay said...

I'm of the opinion just do what works, lol, usually that means a table cloth.

You made me laugh this morning, hard and fast rules don't apply to decorating but humor goes well with anything :o)

Kim P. said...

ah! I feel so much better! I've changed my theme this year, which (I formally thought) meant I had to get a new tree skirt. Now I don't feel like a nerd using some leftover fabric (or a sheet, tablecloth, etc.)instead! Thank you! I am a changed person now. :)

Wandering No More said...

In 1997 I wore a full length bridesmaid gown of hunter green taffeta. About 3 years later I cut the whole skirt off that dress and wrapped it around my Christmas tree base and used it for several years! I see by your comments some other smart readers have done the same!

This year our tree is not so glamorous -- I plan to set the base in an oversize basket I found at a yard sale!

Kimba said...

Couldn't agree more, sistah. I've used tablecloths, burlap, old quilts and lengths of fabric as tree skirts. I have a smaller tree that I sometimes put in big metal washtubs and fill in with some ornaments or presents. Super cute. Hey! I should post about that.

There have even been times that a tree (or two) went nudie-tudie down below. No one ever notices. Kind like if you forget to wear underwear. Not that I've ever done that.

The only exception would be if your dear mama made you a beautiful tree skirt as a wedding present. When The Hubster and I got married, my mom gave us a huge box of Christmas goodies. Tons of lights (now burned out) and ornaments (way too many are broken) and that gorgeous tree skirt. Every year, I put it on a tree and it makes me think about my mama. I always wish you could see it a little more.

Hey! I should totally wear it as a cape on Christmas Eve!

Michelle said...

No arguments here, I used burlap this year and I will craft with it after the holidays. Growing up my Mom always used a sheet, her thinking was who is going to see it!

Kimba said...

Oh my gosh. That comment was longer than some of my own posts. Ridiculous.

And it sounds like my mama might be dead. She's not.

Anonymous said...

Hilarious!!! I ditched my tree skirt a few years ago too. But please don't think I'm some super cool decor chick like you. I pitched it b/c my stupid cats peed on it.

It was actually nice having a tree skirt b/c it caught all the little needles and such that fell off the tree instead of having to sweep the hardwood floors 47 times a day. But now I've got carpet and will never return to the land of the skirt wearing trees again!

The Nester said...

OH my WORD! You bridesmaid people are geniuses! I am adding that to the list right now!!!!

Thrift Store Chic said...

I agree! I'm using six linen napkins as my tree skirt. They matched the theme of my tree. Works fine.

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aaron said...

Amen! Even ugly tree skirts are about $30 and up. It's ridiculous to drop that money one something that won't be seen once presents are under the tree. I'm currently looking for an old planter or something to put mine in.

Anonymous said...

I love all your skirt ideas. I've been using one of the t-shirt sheets in cream for several years and it always looks drippy drapey good. I might try using tulle this year, love that idea! mary

Donna said...

Love your blog!!!....I agree with you...keep the tree skirt simple...growing up, my mom used a white sheet...she had us all convinced it was snow....

Jess said...

I used this vintage table cloth that i found while i was "junkin" and a thrift store. Cost $1.00 and i had to wrap it around 3 times. I was proud of ME :)

Houston said...

I go back and forth on this one... no matter what I say go with cream or white, it fits with any theme you use on the tree. I am loving the fur throw idea... hmmmm.

Sissy said...

I love my tree skirt, it is red satin with a red velvet trim and it beautiful. I got it at TJMaxx on clearance, so I don't feel bad about it. I just like the way it anchors everything.

Audra Lynn said...

my family always used a plain white sheet growing up. we have a tree skirt that i bought the first year my husband and i were married, and it is hideous. i'm pretty sure it was the cheapest one i could find. but i'm so glad you listed tablecloth! i totally have a vintage christmas tablecloth that i bought at the flea market this summer that is too small for my table. i think it'll make an awesome tree skirt, though!

The Chubby Dove said...

I have a white full size flat bedsheet around my tree. It was cheap, a great size and is plenty big enough to go all the way around and still scrunch up.

(I never could find a tree skirt I liked anyway)

Unknown said...

I would never buy one, but my girls made one this year (I posted that yesterday). The great part is that it can be used for other things after the holiday. I usually just throw some matching fabric around the base ('cause you're right - it just gets hidden with gifts.)

After the holiday, I think it will go into Bre's dress up clothes, because every little girl NEEDS a tutu, and she doesn't have one :)

Anonymous said...

I have always used what I find, but my favorite thing this year, is when I stuck my 6 foot primitive tree in a big ole antique copper tub, it looks fantastic!! I will have to post some pics! Great ideas!

The Hill Hangout said...

I have two girlie-girl daughters, ages two and seven. They each have small christmas trees in their bedrooms. The trees sit in their dressers, and we don't put presents underneath, so we needed a cute tree skirt. I pulled out their ballet tutus, and they worked perfectly! we have used them for several years now, and they are the perfect addition to my ballerinas' trees.

Lindy said...

Many readers seem to have tree skirts they truly love or that have some meaning for them, without breaking the bank. Wonderful!

P.S. I have to agree with Angela... fur is gross!

P.P.S. You feel the same way about tree skirts, that I feel about (toxic) dryer sheets. Who creates these schemes to get us to buy things we don't need?

Charity said...

I am using a finished quilt top for mine!

Isaac's Family said...

i have a beachy themed tree - white lights, starfish, some light blue ribbon with gold stars on it (think classy, not tacky) and hot glued some light blue ribbon ornament things on a bunch of sand dollars and shells, and stick in some picks that look like they are iced over. its so pretty. and was cheap to decorate.

my "skirt" is actually a little white picket fince (think beachy dunes) that i bought for $10 six years ago after christmas from a shop in town.

sara said...

I TOTALLY agree! I use a different quilt every year.

dani said...

the bridesmaid dress - great idea! if you want to talk about a big expense that is rarely used, i think the bridesmaid dress tops the list.

anyhoo, i have to admit that i love my tree skirt. i mean, really love it. when it is past it's decorating prime i may consider one of these options. but if i'm honest i will probably be on the hunt for a new tree skirt. =)

Brandy E. said...

No hate mail here either, but I love my tree skirt! It is light blue with cute little snowmen and it cost me all of $10, so I am going with it. We don't put gifts out early either so you do see the skirt for almost a month at my house. :)

Jill@Barnes Yard said...

I'm using burlap this year!

Anonymous said...

I put one tree in a big old wash tub and it's so stinkin cute, so no tree skirt!
Krista

Karrie said...

We use an old fleece swing coat of mine for our tree skirt. Have for YEARS.
It's the perfect red color and it was headed to Goodwill anyway. I have even grown fond of a button or pocket showing occassionally!! :)

Mary @ Giving Up On Perfect said...

For a lot of years, I used a big white bed sheet. And it was perfect. I can't find it, though, so I'm glad for your suggestion of a tablecloth. That's perfect, because it's not like I ever put it on my table! Thanks!

Jill said...

I have such a crush on your blog.

And I'm taking your advice and doing less this year - I feel so free!! :)

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

For years we've used: pretty blanket, fabric, or even lace curtain panels swirled around as our "tree skirt"! I'll admit I bought a tree skirt this year for our family room tree, but our kids' tree just has a pink & white gingham crib sheet for a "skirt"! Looks great! :) Love your idea of the faux fur...so wintry & cozy!
Blessings,
Stacey

MARY said...

Oh-Thank you! I hate spending money on a tree skirt that I know I won't like next year! I will definitely use something else!

Gina said...

You won't be getting hate mail from me. I've used almost all of those things for a tree skirt-but I like your idea of a fur throw....hmmm, think my hubby would be okay with that? "It's for the Christmas tree honey, really!"

meridithdudley said...

Your posts for the tree could not have come at a better time. I have yet to start decorating my tree. I do have plenty of lights on and I actually love it just like that. As for the tree skirt, my old stinky skirt that I bought in my unwise-to-the-treeskirt-way days is still packed away. I just couldn't do it another year and could not bring myself to throw that kind of cash down on a new one. You're some kind of genius.

Su said...

Fabric, just fabric.
Glad I'm not the only one :)

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Several years ago I got into a bidding war {there would have been hair pulling if it wasn't virtual!} on eBay for a tree skirt that I just fell in love with. I'd always done one but they were always too small ~ this one was big! Always having real trees, they also helped catch falling needles. At any rate, I got it for a good price, and I will use that tree skirt forever. In fact, I am going to make a point to take some pictures of this fabulous piece of tree textile to share in the holiday linky parties! ; )

jaime said...

While I do have a tree skirt (have had it for years and spent less than $10 on it), I'm now thinking that the bridesmaid dress I have to wear the weekend before Christmas would look perfect under the tree! It'll be my $150 tree skirt! :)

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

I totally agree. I have two tree skirts and I really hate them. Isn't that silly? Why did I buy them? This year, I'm goign to try some new things and see if I like it better than a skirt. I think I will.

Schmoomom said...

I had a nice bit of red fleece around my tree for a while, to cover up the base of the fake tree, which is fake because I break out in lovely blotchy red hives with real trees.

However, my husbands fat white cat thinks that fabric on the floor is some sort of creature that kitties are required to pounce on and wrestle into submission, so that certainly didn't last! Thus our tree is nekkid down below-though the cat hangs out there hoping to catch the fabric-creature sneaking back. As big as she is, she kinda turns into a tree skirt on her own.

Anonymous said...

We purchased our first live tree in about 15 years - love it! I saw a wonderful idea at Country Living - put the tree stand in a galvanized tub. We are using a round plastic tree stand that has a well in the center for the tree and water. No big red stand in view, the tub is adorable, and will catch any overflow from watering the tree, so no damage to the wood floor. I also put a small rectangular painter's dropcloth under the tub, just for catching any sap from the tree. The big bonus - I've wanted a big galvanized tub for a long time - so many useful and beautiful purposes for it all year long!

Kendra@My Insanity said...

No hate mail here. You just made me feel better about the table cloth I wrapped around the base of one tree, and the blanket (throw) I used on the other. Thanks!

Erica said...

I have a couple of yards of fabric that I purchased last year that I've been planning on making into a tree skirt. Way cheaper than buying one. Last year I just bunched up the fabric around the base and it looked great. I would go without a tree skirt, but our tree is pretty Charlie Brownish and the limbs are way up high. Also, no kiddos yet of our own yet, so not as many presents under there! I need something down there! But I can definately see not using one in the future

Laura said...

No argument from me! I think tree skirts are one of the most ridiculously overpriced items ever! And most of them are pretty ugly!

Richella said...

No hate mail from me.

When my boys were little, we did not put presents under the tree in the weeks before Christmas. We had a Lionel train that ran around the Christmas tree, and I put my village houses inside the train track. So a skirt would have been visible back then. . . but I didn't use one. I used white tablecloths that I had picked up at garage sales. They looked like snow under the tree.

Now that the boys are bigger, they like to have gifts wrapped under the tree. So the under-the-tree regions are soon covered, even though I now have a tree skirt that I inherited when my mom died. I use it, but no one ever sees it.

Ruth said...

This post is so funny. Love the idea that it's a government ploy. I found my tree skirt on clearance for just a few dollars right after Christmas. I would never have paid the original price. It was 90% off and I had a gift card to use so it didn't really cost me anything.

I love your alternative ideas.

Ruth

Charity said...

I use a vintage apron around the tree in my kitchen. Charity J

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Agreed! I have never owned a tree skirt but have used quilts and they work just fine. Lately though I've been more inspired by containers for trees, if your tree needs a little something: http://theinspiredroom.net/2009/11/29/fresh-holiday-ideaschristmas-trees-in-unique-containers/

I feel that way about most Christmas decorations...too expensive for how little we might use them!

xo

Anonymous said...

My beef isn't really with to tree skirt or not, it's the diameter of store bought ones. I've never felt like they were large enough to still be seen after the presents are under the tree...I'm a skirt girl myself. So last year I made one and I love it. But then there is the issue of having a naked space left if you have a higher sitting tree base. I love your suggestions of using burlap or fur. I may just layer one of those over my skirt this year. Everything needs a little more fluff...right? :)

the undomesticated wife said...

I totally agree. I always use leftover fabric or throw blankets for tree skirts.

We got married near Christmas, so we had sort of a wintry theme. We had lots of garland, white lights, c-mas trees, etc. And we used extra tulle for the tree skirts! That was 13 years ago, and I still love that we did that. :)

Heather @ Life Made Lovely said...

My mom always used a white sheet because she said it looked like snow. Growing up in AZ I always thought that was a magical idea.

Now with a family of my own we don't have a tree skirt either. We have a little vintage train set we found at the thrift store that runs under our tree. It's conducted by my 5 year old and I think it's one of his favorite things about Christmas!

Amber Filkins said...

I love the unitasker comment. You are SO right! I never thought about it fully until now.

A few years ago when I was newly married and wanted to make Christmas extra special, I bought this beautiful pink tree skirt with sequence and everything. It was a splurge for me at $30. Well, I used it for 2 years, and have since switched to Red, White & Silver. What now??

Last year I bought a cheap piece of beautifully taupe-y brown silk fabric from a thrift store. It looked beautiful, and it was a fraction of the cost. And it can serve MANY other purposes.

This year we bought a real tree, so I'm able to use this beautiful wrought iron, RED! Christmas tree stand that I got at a yard sale for $5.

The pink skirt is pretty, but $30 is a lot of $$ to just look at it in a bin every year and oooh and ahhh over it for a second, and then close it up. :)

Thanks for the profound epiphany!

I am reevaluating my purchasing habits lately, and this helps to open my eyes to all of those THINGS that they just want you to buy, but you don't really need.

Jen said...

You get a hearty "AMEN!" from me...we have a sheet as our "skirt" this year:)

Kristen @ Moms Sharpening Moms said...

Oh my word! I was just thinking I needed to buy a new Christmas tree skirt because our current one just isn't cute. So glad I read this! I love how you encourage us to think outside-of-the-box!

Anonymous said...

I love you for this post! I have used a "snowy" blanket in the past but felt like I needed a better skirt. I looked today and tree skirts at TARGET are $40. Ugh. I'm bringing the blanket back out!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Brilliant ideas! I wish I had read this post two years ago because, yes, I went out and splurged on a beautiful tree skirt, which would make an exquisite gown, and which absolutely no one sees unless there are no gifts underneath. Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,
Sandi

Amy said...

I have always used a a peice of white batting. It makes it look like snow under the tree. Plus, it was left over from an old project, so I already had it.

This year I am going to stick my tree in a galvenized bucket- that I also already own. Saw this idea in a magazine. :)

Sarah said...

I like your idea, I have a pretty fur trimmed skirt I bought at Target clearance 3 years ago after Christmas for $4. BUT I do think that your ideas are fabulous and I haven't put thought into it for the future so I appreciate it greatly! I love the white fur idea!!!

Heathahlee said...

The leftover fabric one had me. I am tired of our old tree skirt and want something new this year. I have the perfect thing. It's some fabric I bought to use for slip covers that I never made...it's a pretty red and green sort of plaid-y check-y sort of thing. Sound so ugly on here. I must to a post about it when I get it around the tree! : )

Robin's Nesting Place said...

I have one that is really ugly and doesn't go with my formal living room. Since there are no presents going under the tree this year, I'm going to take your suggestion and remove it. I know I can come up with a piece of fabric or tablecloth or something that looks prettier!

Becky Darlington said...

My mom bought my tree skirt so that's what I use cause it was free. If I didn't have it though I would likely use some type of fabric.

Lynda @ SportsMadGirl said...

I'm with Amy, I just use a piece of left over batting. I had it left over from another project and have used the same piece for a few years now. I figure that is the best way for me to have "snow" at Christmas since we never have it here :(

MaryBeth said...

Love this post...I knew there was a reason I hung onto the burgundy strapless satin floorlength bridesmaid dress, that its a pretty sure bet I will never wear again. With slight adaptation it will look awesome under a tree!!!

gstoney said...

I have used a piece of fabric and an old scarf that was red plaid. I would never spend money on a tree skirt.

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

You're one very smart lady!

I use a tree skirt but it's the same one my mom used on the trees she decorated while we were growing up. There's no way I'd go out and buy a new one!

heidi @ wonder woman wannabe said...

No hate mail here - great ideas - our poor little charlie brown tree needs something - off to shop the house to find something on your list, thanks!

Jenni said...

Love it! I've always used an old sheet... but, last year after I washed my round Christmas table cloth - it shrunk! I was really bummed and my mom suggested just cutting up to the center and making it a skirt... beautiful!

Abbie said...

I could have used some fabric from my stash, but I bought a piece for 50 cents at a thrift store because I was in the mood for burgundy! It looks great, not cheesy at all. And I only knocked the star off the top once trying to tuck the fabric under the stand so little hands couldn't pull it off!

Shellbelle said...

Well,I do agree with you about the whole tree skirt thing (though I do love my tree skirt), but I believe it was really a ploy by big business, not the government that led to their popularity. lol

Summer said...

Now I feel all ashamed of my tree skirt! I'm going to have to hide it if I join the Christmas home tour! LOL!

But seriously, that is really great advise! I'll be more creative next time! ;)

Kelly said...

I was going to get a new tree skirt, but now I'm going to search my linen closet. I think I have a chenille throw that will be lovely. Thanks for the great ideas!
I've also tried to figure out something to do with my wedding gown and have thought of using it as a tree skirt, but I don't have the guts.

Marina Capano said...

Fantastic!

I would love to participate in your tour xmas home.

xoxo

{darlene} said...

love the burlap idea. No hate mail here, but I think I don't agree with you for the first time? I do love a beautiful tree skirt. Problem is most of them are tacky. I have been using one of my Grandma's antique linen tablecloths for years... and I can't wait to show you what I did this year (on tour day of course)!

Little Lovables said...

I had all of these feather boas that I used one year, way cute

Sarah said...

Nester--you are awesome. I have been telling people this for a while now, and I can't believe folks will spend $100 on a Pottery Barn skirt!

sheri said...

you can also use the white fluffy bunting from the fabric store..
it kindof looks like snow

Emily in Charlotte said...

I don't know if it's because I'm so cheap that I won't buy a skirt, or if I have serious buyer's remorse..but I use my Grandma's old metal wash tub. We love the casualness of it and it has the best history! We've seen it used in the house, garden, at birthday parties and now under our tree! LOVE IT! Don't be a hater....

Anonymous said...

We just pile extra lights on the floor. They make the presents glow and look really fun at night.

Carrie said...

No hate mail here! I was worried about finding one this year. My boyfriend bought me a 7.5 Ft tree for my Christmas present - I found an old plaid down blanket I bought at Target a couple years ago and laid it around the base. It looks great - plus my little dog likes to curl up under the tree now. Warmth from the blanket below and from the lights above.

StylishHeather said...

None from me either :)

I just wish I would have read this last Christmas before I went out searching for the perfect tree skirt....

pcb said...

No hate from me; I agree completely. When I was growing up, it was a sheet. Now I've moved on to fabric...currently a couple of yards of dark green fleece. After the tree is down, I just wash and dry it and it's ready for the next year. If a little tree sap remains...no biggie.

Amanda Jo said...

AMEN! We buy as few Christmas decorations as possible - we make and reuse pretty much everything that is on our tree!

Our tree skirt is an old green tablecloth! I always keep extra burlap on hand just incase though!

CarolinaGirl said...

I bought a 70 inch round table cloth and cut it straight down the middle :) I like the look of it bunched up, and not so perfect too!

Anonymous said...

I just use a couple yards of gold lame fabric and it looks smashing if I do say so myself!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I needed a skirt for the little Charlie Brownish tree in our addition. I decorate it in girlie colors and couldn't find anything. So I bought 4 girls' "fairy skirts" from The Dollar Tree and stuck them on the tree. I took "tree skirt" literally, it seems. ;)

Lynne said...

How timely! I put my tree up yesterday and got to the part where I had put the lights on, switched them on to make sure they worked, went to move the tree a little and SNAP! the stand broke. Emergency trip to the store. None in stock. I ended up buying an ugly green plastic umbrella stand. You know, the kind you fill with water or sand?
Well, I was wondering what to do about covering it up and I love your idea of tulle. My tree is green and the decorations are all cream, gold and red, so I think cream or red tulle will look beautiful. Thank you :-)

Lynne in NC said...

Love this post as well as the previous one. Great advice.
The year I had a blue and white theme going on, our tree skirt was a round vinyl tablecloth! I cut a slit down the middle so it would lay around the base better. It looked great, too.
We're working on our decorating this weekend.
Peace.

Lucy said...

What ta' heck! The skirt always gets covered up with presents, so you don't want to ever spend money on it! Good ideas!

Amanda M. said...

Oh my word, you are so funny - "let the hate mail flow." Ha! We have one felt tree skirt that we bought on clearance at the Kmart for like $2. It is literally red felt with some gold accents and I think the reason we bought it was because I figured that many yards of felt in a fabric store would probably cost more. ;) We also use blankets and burlap. Remember Charlie Brown's tree? Linus' blanket was the tree skirt!

Denise said...

and i HAVE unused curtains.
thank you ! i am free at last from the disappointment of having a lousy tree skirt.

Unknown said...

Hate the Nester? Never!

MonikaC said...

I'm completely agree about no tree skirts! I have used everything from extra fabric to a very wide scarf. I usually just skip the tree skirt all together and cut the trunk on the tree very short!

Erin said...

Well, this is far from hate mail..I like you too much! But I have to say that I do like a pretty tree skirt...especially when I have an artificial tree (allergies) that shows those ugly plastic legs at the bottom until I finally get gifts under the tree um, around Christmas Eve! BUT my mother is a huge proponent of using cotton batting because as she says, "It makes it look like snow!" Whatever, Mom, we live in the south where it never snows! Anyway, another alternative for you.
I found a cheapo but very pretty quilted ivory velvet tree skirt at Target for practically nothing after Christmas last year. I love it!
To each her own!

Ashley said...

I need a tree skirt, but only because my tree is up and decorated long before I have any presents to put under it. But I still hate paying for one, because you're right, no one looks at except me. So this year, I made one out of a yard and half of red felt, white felt snowflakes, and white pom-pom ribbon trim. $8 I don't feel badly about spending.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Yes, yes, yes! I get bored so I am always mixing it up. I usually use a duvet or tablecloth. This year I am using some burlap I had laying around. It's fun to do something different. I hope you didn't get any hate mail...

XOXO
jen

Bonita said...

I go both ways on this one. I have several different sets of ornaments for themed trees and different things to go around the bottom. My ice tree has a blue skirt. My Jesus tree has some gold material. I used to have a Victorian tree and it had satin rose material from my bridesmaids' dresses. I still use that material under the regular hodgepodge tree. I like to have something there because we typically don't put all the presents under the tree until Christmas Eve and I hate to look at the ugly red and green tree stand.

Tracey said...

That is so funny Nester, because I always have them cut off extra branches from the bottom to make room for the presents and so I can water the thing without spilling. I still spill.

Amanda said...

I really like tree skirts but I've never been able to bring myself to spend the money on super cute (really expensive) one just yet. I found an old, forest green sheet someone left in my apartment and cute a huge circle out of it to use it as a table cloth for this horrible round card table we were given right after we got married. When we got rid of the table, I cut a line to the middle and it's been our tree skirt for 5 years now. I just fold under the unhemmed edge so no one can tell and then cover it with presents!

Hannah @ Reflections of a Face said...

I don't think we have ever had an actual tree skirt. I'm pretty sure that we have just used sheets and burlap. Works great!

Wonder Woman said...

fuuny story to my tree skirt. Its a sheer red curtain, when i was a little girl, probally 10-11 years old, i was at my grandmothers and I was going to open a pretend dress shop, she had a old dress form dragged old 60-70's clothes of my aunts out of the closet and dressed it up, found this red sheer curtain and hung it on the window as a backdrop for this dress form on a big window upstairs, this went on for days, signs in wondows "advertising" my dress shop, one day my grandmother looked up and said Good Lord, al she saw was the flaming red sheer curtain,lol 10 years ago she found it and gave it to me, it has been my "tree skirt" ever since.

Brian and Staci said...

I could NOT agree with you more!!!! I did see a skirt that was $90 dollars that I liked....I obviously did not buy it but instead....used an old throw I had and wrapped it around the tree :) PRITTTTY!!!!

whimages said...

NO ARGUMENT from me either! I haven't had a SKIRT in years! I always use lots and lots of presents and bags....no one has ever said anything about not having a skirt. BUT...I LOVE the discarded full skirt idea...I may have to go to Goodwill tomorrow and look at the bridesmaids dresses!

Unknown said...

I did a new tree theme this year, brown and green and some fab leopard print ribbon. The old tree skirt was not happening. In a perfect world I could just order the $129 ballard design leopard trimmed tree skirt, oh yes and the matching stockings. But, instead, I used my faux fur leopard print couch blanket I got at Target last year for $12.99!!!

AJ said...

I use an edged piece of shiny gold, lame-like (is that a word) fabric. I just drape it around the base and the lights make it sparkle.

Thanks for the tip about the lights! I promise the extra lights WILL go on the tree!

JustMeCopper said...

I used a sheet for years. Then one day I made myself a tree skirt. My life is no richer or more fullfilling. I completely agree with you.

But can you tell me how tall that white tree is? It is beautiful. I think I want to add a second tree to the house next year, and make it white!

Also, my tree needs a theme! What a fabulous idea to help you have a direction!

Hollie said...

I love you sweet Nester! You make me feel so much better about the red felt I bunched up around the bottom of my baby boy's tree because I never got around to making him a tree skirt! :) No hate mail here!

Anonymous said...

...and here I thought I was the only one who doesn't worry about a tree skirt!Great Grandma Gertrude (Yes, her mother DID name her that) left her gorgeous red damask table cloth with the hole burnt in it (Thanksgiving dinner candles?)to us over 23 years ago. The hole goes against the wall and I get to enjoy Great Grandma's tablecloth
;-D

(BTW~I sure enjoy reading your blog...)
Linda J.

Anonymous said...

I'm with ya Nester! I love how the pretty tree skirts look around a tree, but once all the presents are there you don't see the skirt. For the past several years, I have used white batting, just enough to cover the tree stand. It looks like snow (for the most part) and it's cheap. Merry Christmas!

Cindy

Charity said...

Love it! I'm actually using a Scottish tartan wool shawl, and it looks great. When I first got married (11years ago) I bought a gold lame` - type skirt - wow, I'm SO over that tree skirt :)

Andrea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I read this post yesterday at lunch and found myself quoting you to my mom yesterday when she was talking about buying a Christmas tree skirt she'd seen for like $75 - and I told her your reasoning and she said, "good point". I'd already blown $30 on one for my tree before your post, but at least I saved her from the extra expense!

Laurel H. said...

My grandmother NEVER used anything but a sheet as her Christmas tree, so I can only add an "Amen" on your philosophy here!

Anonymous said...

We have used tablecloths in the past and even the wedding ring quilt my mother-in-aw made us in honor of our marriage.

We now have a tree skirt that was hand made by my mother-in-law. It matches the stockings she made for all of us (She is very talented, I am very lucky. She also makes jewelry!)

Unfortunately, by the time the big tree branches settle and the gifts are underneath, you don't even see it.

Anonymous said...

We have used tablecloths in the past and even the wedding ring quilt my mother-in-aw made us in honor of our marriage.

We now have a tree skirt that was hand made by my mother-in-law. It matches the stockings she made for all of us (She is very talented, I am very lucky. She also makes jewelry!)

Unfortunately, by the time the big tree branches settle and the gifts are underneath, you don't even see it.

Anonymous said...

Wow did this generate a lot of comments! I too use a real tree skirt on my main tree, one that I got for at least 50% off 17 years ago for my first married Christmas. For the small 3 foot tree that my kids put their ornaments on, we use a red fleece scarf. It looks perfect! I also have an even smaller one on my kitchen table in a small, red metal tub that was a gift a few years ago containing fruits and chocolates. Thanks for the great ideas!

Miss G said...

fun stuff in the comments and fun post! Last year after a tree STAND fiasco my hubby plaster of parised (I just made that a verb) our tinsel tree into a little galvanized silver bucket. Easy peasy. :) It did require a *bit* of patience though as I had to wait for it to dry, but now it looks adorable.

Also, all of the bridesmaid dress comments made me want to brag on my sister-in-law. Her wedding dress came with a long "wrap" with beads, sequins, embroidery, etc. She uses it as a table runner each year at Christmas and it's lovely! Isn't that a great idea?

Kelly

heyruthie said...

thank you! i just dug the old stained white fluffy cloth pottery barn shower curtian out of the Goodwill bag and threw it down there! it looks GREAT as a snowy white tree skirt!

alanna rose said...

Amen!

I like a nice, clean backdrop for all of my beautifully wrapped packages - not a busy tree skirt.

Unknown said...

This was the first year for my husband and I to get to put up a tree. I was pretty discouraged about the whole Tree Skirt thing because I knew I wouldn't find anything I liked at the stores. So, I began trying to think of what I had that would go with my grandma's gold vintage ornaments....and I had a wonderful Epiphany.....use my Sari fabric from India. Needless to say it's PERFECT! So, I have to agree with you that there are so many ways to have a great tree skirt and not have to buy a traditional expensive store bought one!

Elaine said...

Nester, your brown/white tree, like everything else you do, is gorgeous!! I love the colors (even though I don't really like the colors), when you do it! What is the woody (driftwood thing on the left side? I am studying this and will be trying my BEST to do something similar next year or if I can pull of a little mini tree, I'll do that!! Love your advice, girlie...you're the rockin best home blogger around!!
♥Elaine

Nadir @ Hodgepodge said...

Using tulle would be genious! I have a ton leftover from decor used at my wedding this past weekend. I'm definately going to give that a try.

Kelly @ turned UP to ELEVEN! said...

I'm guilty of purchasing a tree skirt over 4 years ago. However it was on sale at the end of the season. After reading this I am dying to have some faux fur for under the tree - SO cute!

Growing up we always used a heavy quilt my grandmother made. It was full of colors and different winter fabrics (lots of wool and warmth) - it blended so great with the old fashioned Christmas feel we were always going for.

I love the idea of "make your own tree skirt" maybe next year the old tree skirt will become a table cloth instead ;)

Jamie said...

Good idea..I think it just depends on your taste and priorities! I didn't have one until this year and just made do by arranging presents and a blanket before, but went ahead and spent the $15 bucks and got a beautiful one that I will love for a lifetime. :-) I like that it looks finished this year before I have my Christmas shopping done.

carolyn said...

Like a ton of other people....I totally agree. And so just had to add my thoughts too!

I use a tablecloth...simple, easy, cheap and NOBODY notices, or cares.

Thanks for the nugget of good sense!