Bored?

Why not hang a door on your wall?

I used a bifold door when I sold my tassels at shows. I had to pay $40 for that thing at home depot. It was a last minute solution to display more tassels.


Now that I'm not selling at shows anymore and have this huge house of walls to fill, I decided to make due with what I had. A dirty, bifold door with holes all over it. So, I dragged it into the house, got out my 99 cent acrylic paints and went to town. I think I painted it with a paper towel because the only brush I had was from my blush. Bounty is my towel of choice. Then, I didn't like the color so I went over it with extra paint from another room in our house. I didn't worry about laying it on thick. I just wiped it on and let it be covered in some places and not as much in others. That allows the fake wood grain to really shine through.

After painting, as usual, I was too impatient to let the paint dry before I hung it on the wall. I grabbed some picture hangers off an old mirror I had laying around. Usually, they put 2 sets of them on mirrors, so you can hang it either way. So, I borrowed the spare pair. You can also buy a picture hanging kit from a hardware store. Hanging this door was really fun. By myself. I looked like the keystone cops -- if there was only one cop. And he hung a door. And he lived in 2008. And he was a she. And she had cute heels on. Luckily, the sofa was there to help. I have also used this door over my mantle. Our family room is 2 story and if you stand the door upright if fills up lots of space and really has that "WOW" factor that we all strive for. I get lots of compliments on this crazy door.
One last thing. If you don't have an extra door lying around I can tell you how to get one. Goodwill, yard sales and attics are a great place to start. I have recently figured out another way to get a door for free. First, drive over to a neighborhood where they are building new houses. Find a dumpster that they drop off to fill with trash. Most likely, you will see doors sticking out of one. Lots of times when they are installing these doors they get damaged and then thrown away. And, because these doors are fake wood, one side is usually salvageable. I cannot begin to tell you how many doors I have seen in dumpsters in my hood.

Pull up, get out of the car, {I almost forgot, it will work to your advantage if you dress cute with heels or look somewhat business like} confidently ask the fellas working if you can have that old broken door. Maybe, "Do ya'll mind if I have that broken door that's in the dumpster?". They will probably even help you put it in your car. Drive home happy.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous idea! I love it! And here we are renovating and throwing away old doors! I am sure I have one I can try this with. Oooh and I'm trying your valance idea today!

Anonymous said...

Now I know you really are a decorator after my own heart! I thought I must be the only person who paints with a wadded up paper towel : )

Cathy said...

I hung an old (1920s) storm door (painted antiqued red) on my wall. Bought it at our neighbor's garage sale for $10.

Attached 3 vintage b/w family photos on the 3 end panes and then wrote "Our Heritage" in dry erase marker on one of the long glass panes.

It's always interesting to hear which guests say "a DOOR on the wall?" and which guests jump up and down and squeal "a door on the wall!"

Love your blog :)

Amy said...

I am really loving doors right now, although I would have never thought of hanging them on the wall. We are working on a cool one of our office to make an L shaped desk out of doors. Ideally, this would be a family desk, but I am trying to figure out all of the details for how we could make this work.

I just love your blog- my introduction to it was from Meredith!! :)

Terri said...

I LOVE your home! I feel I could just walk right in and curl up on that devine toile sofa with a good book. And your sister's kitchen curtains??? I just think I may have to try that in my kitchen.

But one thing, you have seriously messed up my game plan here. I was supposed to be showered and dressed and laundry started by 8am today. welllll it's now 8:03 and I'm still sitting here drooling thru your blog.

I've enjoyed it very much but I've got to get showered now, so I'll be back!

Sister Honey Bunch/Judi maloney said...

How do you think it would work for a headboard?

Anonymous said...

i think we are related...
sighhhhh

Tamara said...

Too cute! I just found you through Meredith at Like Merchant Ships. We used to hinge old (full-sized) doors together for room dividers in our shop. I'm loving the door over the sofa. The way you outlined the panel makes me think it'd also be cute with decoupaged vintage postcards or sepia photos inside the "frames", or perhaps watercolors or hand-painted scenes. On the other hand, the simplicity of this is striking. Well done!

The Nester said...

I love all the ways that you have used old doors! Hinging for a screen--love it! Backdrop for frames! Using the glass to write on--that's my favorite! Headboard? Absolutely!



Do you have a photo of a door being used creatively? Email it to me!

Homeschool Journey said...

Wow, you realy are a girl after my own heart. Thanks so much fo stopping by and saying hello on my blog. I've never met another designer/homeschool mom. I love your blog. I wish I could do that sort of thing on my blog too, but I'm trying to keep it a 'homeschol blog'. You can see my kitchen reno at www.kitchen-project.blogspot.com.

Over the years I've done a lot of the little 'tricks' you've shown us here on your blog; like the curtain trick and the designer table trick. (mine were actually made of cardboard underneath!) and I resorted to nails and a staple gun for the drapes - lol!

Jennifer P. said...

oooooh--I gots to go find me a door right now! I use to have a bi-fold one I'd painted sitting folded over on my plant shelf. It was a good space filler. But now I want to hang it on my wall :).....

Aubrey said...

THANK-YOU for sharing your technique!! Now I am so pumped and inspired to put something on the ugly area around my kitchen window. You are a genius--where do you come up with this stuff? Maybe I'm just super nosy, but I also want to see how you have decorated your boys' rooms--I have a hard time coming up with ideas for kids' rooms.

Kelly said...

Love the door, but speaking of cute heels, I meant to tell you the shoe you left on the counter at your sisters while hanging window treatments- I really, really love those shoes! (So does my 10 year old daughter who reads over my shoulder! I'm raising her right, hm?)

Mrs. Fussy Fussypants said...

I'll be moving in tomorrow!

Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

That's insane! I love it!

Aubrey said...

Help! I must be stupid, but I went to a fabric store, Target, and Wal-Mart, and after intensive searching could not find upholstery tacks. By the time I was finished with those, everything was closed. Exactly where in these stores can I find them?
By the way, I love door decorating too, and (here I'm a little slow) I'm dreaming of a red toile sofa now.

Anonymous said...

Could you BE any more creative?! That is one of the most inventive ideas I've ever seen! I'm officially addicted to your blog! I'm trying to come up with a unique way to display my jewelry, any suggestions oh crafty one? ;)

Danielle said...

I just came across your blog and absolutely love it! Your ideas are fabulous!! Keep up the good work!

Heather said...

Love your blog... and by the way I lived in Macon as a child. Off Pinona(sp?)

Liz Harrell said...

I love this post and the window post! I always love it when bloggers tell us how they do things 'on the cheap'... and your projects still look so finished and pulled together! Thanks for sharing.

Gena said...

Love that door! I have a 2-story foyer that could use some decorating. Hmmm... I think I feel another one of your ideas coming on.

The Nester said...

OHHH, Lots of stuff!

Okay poor poor AUBREY (whose name I love). Wal-mart: they are in the hardware isle near the nails and small hooks. Look very closely. Target--in my town one store carried them, one did not. Same place, hardware isle.

Fabric shop: you need to probably go to a chain like Jo-Anne's or Hancock or something similar. The decorator's fabric stores usually only have them connected on a roll--if at all. At Jo-Anne's Fabric, they were on a side wall near spools of fringe and trim. Hope that helps.

Home Depot and Lowes ALWAYS has had them and usually have 4 or 5 different finishes. Again, in the nail isle where the small packages of nails and hangy-majigys are. Good luck!

Nikki, I noticed somewhere on Mrs. Fussypant's blog she showed how she displayed her jewelry. She used empty painted frames backed with pretty paper? and toule (sp? that wedding veil stuff) and hung earrings within the holes in the toule. Check out her blog. Also, I've seen screen doors or smaller screens used to hang jewelry on. Very cute!

Artgrlatl!! We lived off Vineville AVE! I remember Pionono? Weird name! Small world!

Renee said...

You will probably miss this comment since I am backtracting and looking for certain posts. Did I ever ask where you might have purchased this so comfy looking couch? I could just sprawl out and watch the notebook on it while eating popcorn with lots of popcorn (extra butter & season salt)

Love it!
Renee

FineLine Antiques said...

LOVE the door on the wall....brilliant...architectural detail, simplicity and beauty all will be virtuous and recycling! I love it. great idea! I am gonna sneak around more of your site for inspirational ideas!
Thanks

kristin maynes said...

I just love your site....especially this post.

You would be so proud of me and the things I have hanging on my walls. Please take a look and let me know what you think.
http://thesassymomshoppe.blogspot.com/2008/11/my-home-tour.html

I would love to get your advice on my master bedroom....I love your style.

kristin

Shawna said...

How did you mount the door on the wall? I have one ready, just not sure how to securely get it up there, so it doesn't fall on us while we are relaxin! :)

Anonymous said...

Love this idea. I've seen it as a headboard before, but not as a piece of art! Love it.

Debilou ~ Mississippi Mama said...

I love how the door is painted here,, it almost looks like artwork instead of a door. I found one in the trash driving through my mama's hood this morning. I'm gonna try to use it as a headboard. Not sure of all the details yet.. Thanks for sharing your ideas.