I was inspired by this mom to do this--the boys helped. Now I want to give away everything I own and copy her modern unassuming style. I have also really enjoyed reading about her family and their story.
33 comments:
Anonymous
said...
Ive been the first to post the last couple of times..can you tell Im ADDICTED to your blog??? LOL I really love this idea and am going to have my girls do this! They are both super creative and I think it would work out perfect. One thing though.... I do think it does make a difference in the picture looking so fabulous in the fact that the environment around the childs art is great. I went to the other blog and she had a gorgeous chandelier, 2 modern lamps, very pretty buffett and nice table and chairs to set the stage..lol You have a very, very similar stage to set for your artwork. If you have it above an old, hand me down couch, reject lamp and primer white paint it just "might" not look as good..lol..
Yeah, you totally should get rid of all your stuff. Just pack it all up and send it to me.
Okay seriously, that is a great idea. I've actually thought about doing something similar. And you know she's cool 'cause she uses big words like serendipitous.
i love that idea~ i have a big blank wall over my couch that i don't have the money to buy 'real' art for, so i'm thinking my girls are going to need to do some painting.
on a side note, how much do i love the flute sitting out? i have an old clarinet in my hall closet thats just sitting there! i never thought of putting it out. it will be out this weekend for sure!
That canvas was $40 and I had a 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby.
I have to tell you that my boys got all excited about painting and I gave them rollers and brushes to start on the background--left over tobacco road from another room.
After it dried they were all painted out. I had to do all of the painting parts myself. such a dork. When it's on it's side it kind of looks like a weird motorcycle.
I just mixed up some colors from my craft paint and the spatters were the fun part!
It looks so much better when you think the kids did it all.
Really, the background on that is Tobacco Road? It looks so much different than it did on your walls. Wish I could see this color in person. I don't think it's a brand that any of the stores around here have.
Okay, Nest-ah: Holy Sweet Grandiose Mistreatments! Look at you mistreating a canvas like a reg'lar artista! That looks great! My eyeballs about sprung outta my head when I got home this afternoon and casually checked my blog traffic counter to see over 400 peeps on my blog. WHAT? This surely must be a mistake. Then I saw all the lovelies coming over from your place. Thanks for the link and giving all your readers the confidence to do their own art. AWESOME!
Traci, thank you for the kind remarks on our dining room...can I dispel some of the mystery of the decor? Chandelier: came with the house, I painted white. Lamps: Target White chairs: IKEA Table: IKEA Turquiose chairs: Craigslist Buffet: designed by moi, built by a friend, and painted by moi! So it really isn't as fancy as it looks!
I can't wait to see if others make their own paintings. O, Fun!
I've been doing this for years. I've got my son's first masterpiece hanging in the hallway along with more current ones. It's really neat to see how their drawing evolve over the years. It went from scribbles to actual scenes. People always comment on how great of an idea it was.
I did this when the kids were little. We used a huge paint tarp. I tacked half up the wall and the other half was on the ground. I put them in their bare feet with oversized white smocks gave them brushes and let them go for it. They ended up using their hands most of the time. When they were done I took a darker color and drizzled it all over. I love it. The little footprints and fingers saved forever. Sweetie made simple frames. We cut the canvas into odd sizes and gave one to each family member. I had the kids sign with their handprints. Super fun!
Do you play the piano? I do. Like anyone cares, but it's nice when it brings in a little income. Anyway. Why did I never think of making my own modern art? Probably because I'm still getting my mind around putting cloches in my small-home-with-three-small-over-busy-children. Call me slow. Blame it on my piano.
I also am a addict to your blog! I so copied your mistreatment for my dining room!I got very strange looks from my husband while I was hanging them,but he likes them.He is an Electrical engineer,and I am so not that is why I love your inspiring post!Thank you for giving me a way to make my dining room look pretty without spending large amounts of money I don't have on Window rods!Thank you thank you thank you!
Wow! That looks so fresh! I love the whole ensemble. The flute and sign on the piano are such a great touch...Hey is that my tassel?! ;) To bad you aren't a r@@ms to go shop!! lol
I realloy enjoyed reading Angela's blog. Thanks for steering us over there! She's pretty amazing.
I was staring at her table and chairs and trying to figure out if they were IKEA or not. Thanks for confirming it for me, Angela! Love that dining room.
Okay, I have been looking EVERYWHERE on your blog for the name and brand of paint that you use on your walls (because I want some for my son's bedroom) and I can't seem to find it anywhere. HELP! Anyone out there remember the name of the pretty paint (kind of a tan color) and the store you can get it at? THANK YOU!!! Love this blog, I've started mistreating windows with fabric and upholstery tacks and have my mom thinking about doing it too! :) Summar
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! Can you tell me who makes that color? Is it something I can get at Lowe's or Home Depot or Sherwin William? I don't where to go looking for it but I LOVE IT! :)
Yes, you can click on the link on my sidebar that I just added a few minutes ago! It says my favorite paint color and click on tobacco road and that will tell you.
also, if you ever need to search for anything you can go to the very tippy top of my blog where the blogger thing is and in search this blog just type in what you are looking for!
Thanks, I found it now! I must've been having a brain freeze earlier (and my 3 year old was helping me....that explains a lot!) :) Still love the color, I have to get it! And, I think your giant canvas painting is fabulous. I love the ones on the link you found to the other lady as well. I have a big empty space I've been trying to figure out what to put there and I think I may have the answer. Thanks so much for all your great ideas!
Just had a fun time trawling the internet trying to re-find your blog! My PC went crazy recently so I lost all my favourite links and couldn't remember the name of your blog. I re-found you by searching google for the words "glue gun curtain clips trim"! Hurray! I am helping my friend with some ideas for kitchen curtains so must get back to your helpful posts on curtains!
OK, I have been totally addicted to your blog lately - and also totally inspired!! I pulled my sewing machine out of the closet, bought some new fabric, and have been having lots of fun sprucing up some old rooms that needed some change!
Thank you for the great inspiration!
I wanted to ask you ... what do you do with all those lovely tassels you make? I think they are gorgeous, but wasn't sure where you put them around the house?
Keep up the great decorating - it's giving me great ideas! Thanks, Kathy
Curious...You have pillow, pillows and more pillows in your house. You also have KIDS! I have the HARDEST time with 2 kids and my husband keeping pillows even kinda where they should be. I just bought a fabulous, spring throw that Im in love with. Its totally shabby chic and so I was all careful to place it in my livingroom where I wanted it. I KNEW it wouldnt stay how I wanted it but its not even CLOSE to how I had it. I talk and talk but to no avail. Do you have a more formal livingroom and then a "family room"
The toile sofa is in the family room and the piano and camel colored sofa is in the front/living/music room.
The pillows are NEVER where they "should be" and I always have to place them before I take photos and have anyone over. They are usually in a huge pile around the coffee table acting as walls! But, that is part of the purpose of pillows so it's not really that big of deal!
Ok, I just got all excited. There's a flute on your piano (you probobly realize that). I've been checking out your blog for a couple months now and it's so cute. I always get excited when there's a new post. Anyhow I play the flute so now, maybee, we have something in commen (I'm not sure I spelt that right)
33 comments:
Ive been the first to post the last couple of times..can you tell Im ADDICTED to your blog??? LOL
I really love this idea and am going to have my girls do this! They are both super creative and I think it would work out perfect. One thing though.... I do think it does make a difference in the picture looking so fabulous in the fact that the environment around the childs art is great. I went to the other blog and she had a gorgeous chandelier, 2 modern lamps, very pretty buffett and nice table and chairs to set the stage..lol
You have a very, very similar stage to set for your artwork. If you have it above an old, hand me down couch, reject lamp and primer white paint it just "might" not look as good..lol..
one more thing...how much did you pay for your big ol canvas? Just curious?
Yeah, you totally should get rid of all your stuff. Just pack it all up and send it to me.
Okay seriously, that is a great idea. I've actually thought about doing something similar. And you know she's cool 'cause she uses big words like serendipitous.
i love that idea~ i have a big blank wall over my couch that i don't have the money to buy 'real' art for, so i'm thinking my girls are going to need to do some painting.
on a side note, how much do i love the flute sitting out? i have an old clarinet in my hall closet thats just sitting there! i never thought of putting it out. it will be out this weekend for sure!
This is fabulous! Can you share more, like what kind of paint did you use? What kind of direction did you give your children? Etc.
Thanks so much for all that you share!
Beth, also in NC, over on the coast...
Here's the thing: I wouldn't know when the painting was "done". How do you know to quit?
That canvas was $40 and I had a 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby.
I have to tell you that my boys got all excited about painting and I gave them rollers and brushes to start on the background--left over tobacco road from another room.
After it dried they were all painted out. I had to do all of the painting parts myself. such a dork. When it's on it's side it kind of looks like a weird motorcycle.
I just mixed up some colors from my craft paint and the spatters were the fun part!
It looks so much better when you think the kids did it all.
Really, the background on that is Tobacco Road? It looks so much different than it did on your walls. Wish I could see this color in person. I don't think it's a brand that any of the stores around here have.
Okay, Nest-ah: Holy Sweet Grandiose Mistreatments! Look at you mistreating a canvas like a reg'lar artista! That looks great! My eyeballs about sprung outta my head when I got home this afternoon and casually checked my blog traffic counter to see over 400 peeps on my blog. WHAT? This surely must be a mistake. Then I saw all the lovelies coming over from your place. Thanks for the link and giving all your readers the confidence to do their own art. AWESOME!
Traci, thank you for the kind remarks on our dining room...can I dispel some of the mystery of the decor?
Chandelier: came with the house, I painted white.
Lamps: Target
White chairs: IKEA
Table: IKEA
Turquiose chairs: Craigslist
Buffet: designed by moi, built by a friend, and painted by moi!
So it really isn't as fancy as it looks!
I can't wait to see if others make their own paintings. O, Fun!
Angela at thepaintedhouse.blogspot.com
I've been doing this for years. I've got my son's first masterpiece hanging in the hallway along with more current ones. It's really neat to see how their drawing evolve over the years. It went from scribbles to actual scenes. People always comment on how great of an idea it was.
Another great place to get canvas is at Micheals if you have one in your area. They have sales on it often--just check their flyers.
Love the way it turned out!
Now you know how WE feel.:o) The new look looks very beachy and clean. I like!
I did this when the kids were little. We used a huge paint tarp. I tacked half up the wall and the other half was on the ground. I put them in their bare feet with oversized white smocks gave them brushes and let them go for it. They ended up using their hands most of the time. When they were done I took a darker color and drizzled it all over. I love it. The little footprints and fingers saved forever. Sweetie made simple frames. We cut the canvas into odd sizes and gave one to each family member. I had the kids sign with their handprints. Super fun!
Mrs. B and I are going to have to fight over your stuff!! Seriously, that is cool!
Elise
Awesome idea! I will have to find a spot in our home for my girls to do this.
Do you play the piano? I do. Like anyone cares, but it's nice when it brings in a little income.
Anyway.
Why did I never think of making my own modern art? Probably because I'm still getting my mind around putting cloches in my small-home-with-three-small-over-busy-children.
Call me slow. Blame it on my piano.
I just watched Grey's Anatomy and this is a quote from the show tonight:
"I'm a nester. I'm nesting.
This is me nesting. For you."
I immediately thought of you :) Thanks for all of your inspiration.
I also am a addict to your blog! I so copied your mistreatment for my dining room!I got very strange looks from my husband while I was hanging them,but he likes them.He is an Electrical engineer,and I am so not that is why I love your inspiring post!Thank you for giving me a way to make my dining room look pretty without spending large amounts of money I don't have on Window rods!Thank you thank you thank you!
Wow! That looks so fresh! I love the whole ensemble. The flute and sign on the piano are such a great touch...Hey is that my tassel?! ;) To bad you aren't a r@@ms to go shop!! lol
Michele B
I realloy enjoyed reading Angela's blog. Thanks for steering us over there! She's pretty amazing.
I was staring at her table and chairs and trying to figure out if they were IKEA or not. Thanks for confirming it for me, Angela! Love that dining room.
-Julia :-)
Okay, I have been looking EVERYWHERE on your blog for the name and brand of paint that you use on your walls (because I want some for my son's bedroom) and I can't seem to find it anywhere. HELP! Anyone out there remember the name of the pretty paint (kind of a tan color) and the store you can get it at? THANK YOU!!! Love this blog, I've started mistreating windows with fabric and upholstery tacks and have my mom thinking about doing it too! :)
Summar
summar,
it's tobacco road! sorry you couldn't find it!!!
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! Can you tell me who makes that color? Is it something I can get at Lowe's or Home Depot or Sherwin William? I don't where to go looking for it but I LOVE IT! :)
Yes, you can click on the link on my sidebar that I just added a few minutes ago! It says my favorite paint color and click on tobacco road and that will tell you.
also, if you ever need to search for anything you can go to the very tippy top of my blog where the blogger thing is and in search this blog just type in what you are looking for!
Good luck!
Thanks, I found it now! I must've been having a brain freeze earlier (and my 3 year old was helping me....that explains a lot!) :) Still love the color, I have to get it! And, I think your giant canvas painting is fabulous. I love the ones on the link you found to the other lady as well. I have a big empty space I've been trying to figure out what to put there and I think I may have the answer. Thanks so much for all your great ideas!
Just had a fun time trawling the internet trying to re-find your blog! My PC went crazy recently so I lost all my favourite links and couldn't remember the name of your blog. I re-found you by searching google for the words "glue gun curtain clips trim"! Hurray! I am helping my friend with some ideas for kitchen curtains so must get back to your helpful posts on curtains!
I L-O-V-E your toile sofa. Where did you get it? Actually, I love every photo I've seen in your home! Can you help me? :)
OK, I have been totally addicted to your blog lately - and also totally inspired!! I pulled my sewing machine out of the closet, bought some new fabric, and have been having lots of fun sprucing up some old rooms that needed some change!
Thank you for the great inspiration!
I wanted to ask you ... what do you do with all those lovely tassels you make? I think they are gorgeous, but wasn't sure where you put them around the house?
Keep up the great decorating - it's giving me great ideas!
Thanks, Kathy
Curious...You have pillow, pillows and more pillows in your house. You also have KIDS! I have the HARDEST time with 2 kids and my husband keeping pillows even kinda where they should be. I just bought a fabulous, spring throw that Im in love with. Its totally shabby chic and so I was all careful to place it in my livingroom where I wanted it. I KNEW it wouldnt stay how I wanted it but its not even CLOSE to how I had it. I talk and talk but to no avail. Do you have a more formal livingroom and then a "family room"
The toile sofa is in the family room and the piano and camel colored sofa is in the front/living/music room.
The pillows are NEVER where they "should be" and I always have to place them before I take photos and have anyone over. They are usually in a huge pile around the coffee table acting as walls! But, that is part of the purpose of pillows so it's not really that big of deal!
Ok, I just got all excited. There's a flute on your piano (you probobly realize that). I've been checking out your blog for a couple months now and it's so cute. I always get excited when there's a new post. Anyhow I play the flute so now, maybee, we have something in commen (I'm not sure I spelt that right)
We are SO doing this for art tomorrow.
Okay, I think some people either got it or they don't - Girl, you got it!!!
I don't, I just fake it :)
What a talent you have (and a one of a kind art piece).
Awesome!
Post a Comment