Look at that. A beautiful mistreatment. Yes, the rod is off center but it was a 25 cent yard sale find, I think it's some kind of flag pole thing. But look at that toile. I must have a really tall window in my bathroom. Don't you wish that you had tall windows too?
What?!? Look how high I hung my rod! Isn't that illegal? I mean, it's not covering the window, it's covering the actual wall. What the?
Look there again, in the bedroom. Now you can see that I started hanging where the wall met the ceiling and worked my way down. The room looks taller on the left because the window appears higher. Hmmm.
Surely not. Even over the tub I have tricked you yet again. I'm so tricky.
This is the single biggest mistake we make when hanging our mistreatments. It's also the easiest fix. The fabric is there to compliment and dress the window. Not to cover it. This goes for the sides of the windows too. Don't let your drapes be covering half of your natural light. Now, look around your house and see if your mistreatments are hung too low. If they are hung right on top of the trim of the window and you have 6-144 inches to the ceiling, then just raise them up. The difference will be amazing.
One more thing and that's all I'm gonna say. David Cook.
I added some of him to my play list at the very bottom of the blog if you want to scroll down and listen. You can scroll down within the play list to find the Cook and others. That really is all I'm gonna say.
Mistreatment Secret
Scrawled out by
The Nester
on
5/22/2008
Labels: window mistreatments
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
62 comments:
Yippee, I'm the first to comment!
Thank you for putting this out there! Another pet peeve of mine: hanging tab-top panels right at the top of the window so that the tabs hang down on top of the window letting the gaps show through. Ick.
Awwww man ~ now I have to walk around the house and drag out the ladder ~ that's ok though ~ anything to make it look BETTER!! LOVE YOUR IDEAS and LOVE DAVID COOK!! YEAH!!!
Congrats on the new house - so proud of you - we are half way through our Dave Ramsey journey - can't even believe that I see a light -- hope it's not a TRAIN!! HA!!
Great ideas as usual Nester!
I was so happy about David Cook too but can you believe, my DVR stopped taping right before they announced the winner....GRRRR.
Thank Goodness for the Internet!
Yay David Cook!
I've always heard of hangin window treatments about the actual window, but always figured you'd be able to - you know - tell.
You've proven me wrong - they all look awesome!
I AMEN the mistreatment placements! All mine are way above my windows and when I first did it, I could not believe how much taller the ceilings looked! Wonderful and easy idea...very nester-like! That's why we love you! :-)
How's the packing coming? Loved the pix of the new nest - can't wait to see it with all your things in it!
Blessings! imamom
Hi Nester!
I finally posted a picture of my mistreatment and gave you a nod (button and all, so cute on my lonely little blog). I love how the mistreatment turned out, but definitely need to find stronger clips. That's on my "to-do" for this weekend. I wanted to hang them higher, but the "crown molding" (already there when we bought the house) is in the way. The ceilings are 9 1/2 feet tall, so they already hung pretty high. I thought it would look funny if I crossed into the "crwon molding." What do you think?
Thanks so much for your opinion!
Karrie in IN
You are gonna be sooooo proud of me when I email you the picture of my mistreatment over the weekend. It, too, involved a garage sale find, and half price stuff from Hobby Lobby and....yep, I hung it halfway up to the ceiling to make my window look bigger. You learned me.
I came by to put my records on...I swear my voice sounds so good when I sing that song. And that song only.
Great tips!
I LOVE DAVID COOK TOO! I was so happy he won! Whoo Hoo!
Wow. That's really very impressive. I'd have never thought. Of course, I don't have mistreatments on most of my windows. I'm so "decor challenged" here! Will you come decorate my home?
karrie, yes if you have crown molding don't go there! you did it just right.
everyone else, heart you!
Hi, Nester, How did you make the first mistreatment in this post? Please enlighten!
Lol, I love your commentary. Yep, it's definately illegal. Shh! We won't tell.
its AMAZING what a huge difference moving a rod or fabric can make. I even moved my shower curtain up higher...hubby kept lowering it until I told him to STOP,ITS SUPPOSE TO BE THAT WAY!!! LOL
Now why didn't I think of that??? Great idea, Nester. I live in a historic warehouse that my hubby and I are renovating into living space. A long time ago, he boarded up some of the super large windows in the bedrooms and made some smaller...I hate the small windows and couldn't figure out how to make them appear bigger. Duh! Can't wait to try this.
I do have a question about mistreating huge windows with large windowsills. Would you continue to place the material on the wall or would you place it close to the window itself when the sills are 12 inches deep?
Pamela from Pennsylvania
I am also one to hang my mistreatments high. Good tips!
We did this in most of our rooms, too. I like how modern it looks in our living room because it makes a whole wall of windows look really lush and covered with fabric.
I really like the treatment in your bathroom. Pretty!
Another thing- you can also stretch your curtains horizontally so windows look wider, which we do with those in our bedroom.
Great job and thank you for teaching me. You are awesome. I want you to come mistreat my house.Do you just add the fringe to the material with a hot glue gun??? I am sure I could do it but i am nervous. I am going to search your site to find out if you posted a how to add fringe.
Hey Hey Nester, I am a faithful reader, but do not always leave comments, but I must say WOOHOO!! You had e-mailed me about this little trick when you checked out my mistreatments for our kitchen. So I did it about a week later and the results ~~ amazing!! My mom was over a couple days ago and she looked in the kitchen and said she loved that I'd raised them. So thanks for that great tip (earlier and through this post:). It's worth the price of admissions :)
Dawn
I ditto Beloved's comment...how did you make the mistreatment? I have some windows that really need something like a Roman shade but don't want to buy them. Help?!?!
Nester-- Any chance you could give directions for your bathtub mistreatments??? Loving that!
Conversation this morning (before reading your post) with a friend who stopped over.
Her: "oh, I love those curtains and the rods really make a difference."
Me: "yeh, but I should have hung the rods closer to the ceiling..."
and then this...
Her: "ooh what color is that upstairs?"
Me: "why it's Tobacco Road!"
Her: "it's perfect...how did you find it?!"
Me: "uh, uh, [sputter, sputter], I read about it."
Her: "you READ about a paint color? how did you get the formula?"
Tell me, dear Nester, how DO I explain the friendship we all have here at your Nest?!
Love it!! For the readers questioning about the shade in your bathroom...2 words-safety pins!!
Elise
You are so right! Good blogtorial! And love the home school room. (And LOVE David Cook!) I mean, he actually sings the songs he covers better than the original artists!
Nester- Thanks for posting this one, it is my huge pet peeve when people cover their beautiful windows and block out natural light! Let the sun in!
I also wanted to say thanks to everyone who add comments here with their blogs clickable! I am finding so many blogs that have great ideas!
Amy
Nester, Love your mistreatments. I scrolled down for David Cook but just couldn't get past Leonard Nimoy's If I Had a Hammer! What a hoot.
Nancy
PS My wicker wingback chair you covet - $40 on Craigslist and it's still available online for $1300!! I love Craig.
Hi Nester- please add me to the list who wants to know how you did the first mistreatment. I just bought the most fabulous fabric for the kids room and was waiting for a great idea to hit me, and I think it just did.
Also wanted to echo the previous commenter who loves finding new blogs through your comments. Someday when I've learned all your tricks I may join you all in blogland.
Nester, please please please share something with me... I'm sure this is a "trick of the trade" that I just haven't learned yet, but I'm dying to know. WHERE oh where is your alarm clock???? How do you wake up in the middle of the night and know what time it is? We have the ugliest alarm clock and it so detracts from the look of my nightstand. Also, if you've got another sec, how do you place sofa tables behind the sofa in the middle of a room and place a light on the table? What about the stinkin' cord running across the middle of the room? BTW, loving your new nest. Can't wait to see you moved in!
-Julie
rock on. thank you!
Another great trick of the trade, girlfriend! I love it!
I just love your fabrics. Any tips on where to find beautiful fabric at a great price?
We were thrilled with Idol last night. But my favorite of the night was Carly and Michael singing together. MAN!!! They were awesome!!!
Go David Cook!!! I actually had tears streaming down my face. Yes, my husband made fun of me even though he wanted him to win too. I got my fringe today. LOVE IT!!! It is exactly what I was hoping that it would be. I'm sure I'll be showing what I do with it one of these days. In the meantime, you're probably still wondering where that HGTV Green Home post is that I told you to look out for:) I WILL get it done eventually!!
Trying to get my windows done here...I found curtains I liked (couldn't find fabric I liked), now I can't decide on whether to keep these brushed nickel rods or go for black. Why can't I make simple decisions like this? I guess I lack confidence. I"m going to exchange for black, I've decided. LOL See- without knowing it, you just helped me make a decision.
Beautiful! I do the same thing. I don't want to block one speck of natural light!
I'm glad David Cook won, I do love him. If my husband ever gets tired of me, I'll gladly go for a younger man. But, I was rooting for my fellow statesman, Archuleta, because I think that Cook can do better on his own, like Daughtry did, but whatever, he's still awesome. I don't think my hub-cap realized how much I like rock before this season. The rockers are always my favorites. It's my way of trying to stay young forever.
I have to admit, I used to not be sure how high to hang curtains, but felt a little higher than the window was better and with my short ceilings that do NOT help the 1,036 sq ft feel bigger, I should just hang my things FROM the ceiling. That could work. I have to go to the fabric store.
I love your window "mis-treatments!" You're amazing! I have a question. Ya know the windows that have another fan shaped window above them? How do you dress up a window like that? Do you just worry about the bottom window and not even touch the top window?
I have the same question as the others re: the sofa table in the middle of the room with lamps (I hate cords dragging across a room) and re: the first window treatment - how do you scrunch it up like that?
Hi. I am new to your blog, but I am really enjoying it. Thanks for all the great tips! Keep 'em coming! ;)
Blessings!
You ARE tricky, Nester! Ha. Good tips. I hate when too much fabric blocks the natural light.
We taped AI on our DVR last night so we could skip right through all the commercials. We thought we were being pretty clever. Well, it went a little long, didn't it? And my DVR stopped taping just as Ryan said, "The winner is David--" cut to black. We couldn't believe it. I had to turn my computer on to find out which David won! -Julia :-)
I know this is random, but I just discovered feed readers... is there a way to add your site to my reader? I couldn't find the icon anywhere. Thanks!
Yeppers....it looks much better with the drapes/curtains hung higher!!
Speaking of mis-treatments...did you ever figure out what fabric your red/yellow big check is? It would be perfect for my home, but I can't find it anywhere.
Sincere thanks for any help!
jbmusik at yahoo dot com
Dear Nester, I love your mistreatment! Your home looks great. I would not worry about the rod being off center... maybe you could hang a decorative rope with some beautiful large tassels hanging down. Then it would look intentional. I own a home decor store... I have seen this many times & it looks great. Thanks for the visit.
Fianlly...someone else who hangs curtains like I do! When we moved into our new house in December, my FIL wanted to help out so I had him hang all of our curtain rods. He hung them all right on the window frames! I didn't say a word. I have slowly moved them all up 6 - 10 inches. He's never noticed and I'm much happier. :)
Love this post! I can't wait until we get into our new house so that I can start mistreating all the windows!!!! When we were decided what we could and couldn't afford when building the house, 9' ceilings didn't make the cut. Now it doesn't matter. I'll just hang all my window treatments up high and the ceilings will look higher. You're the best!!!!
I'm already planning how I can add more fabric to the bottom of all my 84" curtains to make them work.
Kim
Woohoo David Cook! He is complete and total awesomeness. I think I'm gonna have to add a playlist to my bloggy just so I can have his songs. Oh, and I have this sudden urge to buy Guitar Hero for some strange reason.
Yep, I prefer the treatments hung higher and need to change mine. Unfortunately, it means I'm going to have to make/buy longer ones, because I also like them to kind of crumple up on the floor at the bottoms.
I'm going to have to either learn how to use dear hubby's drill or promise dirty deeds done dirt cheap cause all my window treatments need serious mistreatin' ! It's unbelieveable the difference you see in your bedroom picture.. Wowser! Good thing I'm on vacation starting Saturday! LOL Darling Darling Clever Super Thin Nester, you are my style guru.
I love the swirly molding thing under the window. I would have never thought hang something there. I will have to try that with some fun salvage pieces I got!
You tricky, tricky girl :)!
I did the same on all of my windows! Its definatly better that way! And that music how lovely! Love the decorating ideas! Keep them coming! Julie
Hey there, Please do tell how you did the first treatment!!! Looks beautiful and simple....my kind of project! I would like to add you to my blog list, it thats okay? Nancy
I ***LOVE*** that first treatment you show here!! I know the point is to "hang it high" and I love that tip--will definitely use it. But can you tell me how to make that pretty drape-y thing? I have a bathroom window that I want to just "decorate" but don't need any coverage, because the glass is translucent (also has ugly blinds on it that I can close if necessary, and hopefully eventually replace with nice blinds).
Also, I have walls almost as blue as the "preview" button at the bottom of this comment section, so I don't really know where to go with color coordinating to that. I cannot, will not paint right now. I'm having a baby in a couple weeks! So, any thoughts??
PS--thanks for the David Cook! Woot!!!!
I learned this trick about hanging curtains higher many years ago and it has been a life-saver. I have always lived in small spaces and like the open feel that a big, bright window gives you.
Why don't you hang one of your darling little tassels on the rod that sticks out from the side and make it look like you totally meant to do that!! ;)
Hi,
They look just great! How did you do the ballon thingy with the curtain? Looks really pretty and I do not sew (Just basics) so perhaps you can show us those tricks? I loved your post on how to fold the material and hang. Im the once i see it-I get it type people. I also liked the folded/layered look from the other one too- they look so nice- you are super creative because at the store they would cost a lot of money- they look custom made...thats so great!
Thanks again for all your helpful tips, I need them soooo baaaaadly without spending so much money to make our home pretty and homey. =)
~Blessings,
Joy =)
I'm going to bow in honor to you if these pics are from the new nest. I mean, if you've packed, moved, unpacked and have had time to hang drapes already! Sheesh!!!
I love hanging drapes high! My hubby always questions me as I'm doing it but always says how great it looks once they're up!
FAB-U-LOUS! Wickidly FAB-U-LOUS! Love it!
I am totally inspired by this! My NEXT project! Thanks!
Hi Nester,
Thanks for your posts on how to nest up a home. I like to see photos and you never dissapoint with multiple shots and great descriptions. I was inspired by you to do a "mis-slip" on a rocking chair cushion. I'm happy with the non-permanent results! Photos at this link... http://the-little-moments.blogspot.com/2008/05/mis-slip.html Good luck with your move!
i luv ''misstrmts!!!! In guest room, I took the gorgeous fabric on a bedskirt (I didn't want to use it on bed) and made fab window trtments!! In my bath, I used pillow shams. Let the games begin :)
Best places to play, best strategies to win. User ratings & reviews of top online casinos & pokers with highest payouts & biggest bonuses.
Hi! I've recently decided that my house needs a major makeover and your site has inspired me! I am craft/design challenged and I was wondering how you know how much fabric to buy for your mistreatments?? Is there a place that you learned how to make the things you do work or was it just lots of trail and error?
Post a Comment