Yesterday


I had no idea how many of you were gonna do the easy to remember, rolls off the tongue, IDHTBPTBB post. Can I just tell you that I was hoping, praying that 20 people would take the time to do this? And, I'll admit I've wanted to do it for awhile but it took some time for me to work up the nerve to put myself out there. I mean, what if NO ONE participates?

Perfectionism was holding me back.

It was so encouraging to see all of you real women in real houses with real kids and real lives! I feel so blessed to have a group of people to share life with in this way! And I've never even met you.

Thank you to all who participated, left comments and even you mysterious, wonderful lurkers. A big fat thank you to my sweet friend Darla who left meaningful comments on everyones blog up until dinner time!

It was my first time using the link thing and there were about 3 links that I had to delete because they linked to an ad. I hope it wasn't someone who typed in a wrong address--you know how these things are, one wrong letter and it's a whole different web site.

We'll do it again real soon! Oh, and I had my biggest day ever as far as hits on my statcounter! Did you do well too?

64 comments:

Free Art Printables said...

Great post. I loved checking them out! Well, I'm off to be imperfect! :) Jen R

Amy said...

This was so much fun - please do it again soon! I'm having so much fun slowly making my way through everyone's posts. I love the idea of imperfectly beautiful. Thanks again!

Loreluca said...

WOWSERS! Sorry I didn't see the post... just about every picture on my bloggeroo is a good pic for this!
Anyways, I just had to thank you very much for a post you did a few weeks ago. In it, you mentioned Dave Ramsey, and that prompted me to investigate. We'll be starting his class in a local church on june 26 (my b-day!)
We are very excited about it... and I just had to come and thank you! I'll have to come and let you know how it goes!

Kristi said...

It was a great day and it even made the day of a blog friend having a rough time of it in motherhood who I don't think even reads your site. Hallelujah!

As for your Dyson question...

I am sure I have already saved us loads of money by insisting on the Dyson. Before the Dyson I bought a brand new Hoover Windtunnel or something like that. I remember that purchase clearly. I was pregnant and had to carry that stupid thing to the front to check out (Kohls did not have shopping carts). It lasted less than a year. Before that I had hardwood floors in an apartment and before that I had a Dirt Devil which lasted 2 years tops. So the Dyson is hmm, about 3 years old and going strong. And you just need to clean out a few nooks and crannies in the thing every once in a while and it works as good as the day I bought it. Best investment I've EVER made.

Kristi said...

P.S. I need that drink, please send it to me!

I have a Dunkin Donuts gift card, but I want it in a glass, not a plastic cup. It would taste much better.

Mrs. B said...

I just got my bloggy act together tonight, so I'll have to go visit all the other imperfectly beautiful bloginistas tomorrow. Darla is awesome! She's one of nicest people I've met in blogland.

Melissa Lester said...

Well, I am a little late coming to the party, but I hope it's OK that I added my link anyway. I didn't get to start on my post until after the kiddos went to bed tonight, and now it is already Tuesday! Thanks for this challenge! I have really enjoyed dropping in on other people's lives and celebrating the authentic beauty of each one!

Finding Normal said...

I hit a personal high today of 30 comments on one post. Wow! And everyone was so sweet and encouraging! You have to do this again!
I tried to hit as many IDHTBPTBBs as I could. I think I made it through half of them, but there's always tomorrow!
And I ordered a chocolate brown suede slipcover for the couch tonight that's been in my overstock shopping cart for a month. I know it won't be perfect, but who can get a new couch with 2 kids under 4? IDHTBPTBB!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Nester
I enjoyed this post and the links had time to check (about 15) because it made me feel less guilty about how my house looks. It was encouraging to see how full of life people's houses look.

You should meet my Grandma (Mamie is the French word we use). She has a whole decorated house for herself (that would need a makeover but that's another story). Two beauctiful bathrooms and so on. She takes showers in a camping thing in the basement so that she doesn't put any mess in the bathrooms.
And she has two housecleaners.

Thanks to the IDHTBPTBB mentality I have finally in recent years been brave enough to do some crafts, whereas in my whole life I always thought I was bad or too unperfect to go ahead and do it.
I have had a lot of good feedback so for sure IDHTBPTBB!!

Hugs from France!

Danielle said...

Just found your wonderful blog via Hooked on Houses and just loved the idea of your post, Imperfectly Beautiful. I thought it very fitting for me as I have just put up some photos of my dining & lounge room as they look now - a complete mess! Will definitely keep reading.

Blogger said...

As if I know where to find my statometer thingee? lol...now, I am off to try to find it...thanks to all of you fabulous people who left me such kind comments yesterday...now my husband is thinking of KEEPING the iron work wall there...haha..oh my...now we don't know what to do...it is pretty, but we kind of need that wall to be a wall, too...ugh...back to the drawing board!

Kitty Scraps said...

Holy Macaroni Nester! You had a tremendous party! You'll have to do it again real soon! I'm still trying to get around to all the links but sadly it's off to work I go...
BTW - personal blogging high for me, 11 comments, wowser! LOL All because of you...ain't you just the bestest? Love ya Chick!

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

I had a big day too1 Thanks for the fun time. I enjoyed finding so many beautiful new-to-me blogs.

angela | the painted house said...

You throw a mean party! Now I just need a whole day with that drink in hand, the kids at the sitter, and dinner delivered and I can go through the whole--HOLY COW--100+ links. That is awesome! In the time I was home yesterday, I was able to see about a quarter of those. There are some great links out there--such inspiration to keep being normal and imperfect!

Sarah Mae said...

I had over 500 hits yesterday because of YOU! Thank you! :)

Debbie - StudioBeeCreations said...

YOWZA!....Congrats on your awesome INVENTIVE "hit parade" idea!...I am only sad I slept the day away ( my day off from Lowes, and I was stuck in my cushy love chair all day watching and vegetating!)....I SOOOO want to participate the NEXT time....I can relate to IMPERFECTION! You are such a sweet inspiration! Thanks for sharing.....creative blessings, Debbie

TAMI said...

What a FUN FANTASTIC day!! My tiny little blog that usually gets about 20 visits a day, ended up with 118!! Who knew peeking in on everyone else's imperfections - and airing our own - could be so energizing and affirming??!!

Christi said...

I'm not surprised it was such a hit - everyone loves your blog, and imperfectly beautiful? It's something everyone can get on board with!

Looking forward to the next time, and now I'm off to finish commenting for everyone who commented on my blog.

Thanks, Nester!

Anonymous said...

Thank you a hundred times, for the IDHTBPTBB blog! I peeked at every. single. one. I want to start a blog myself and then the perfection monster attacks...what if no one reads your blog, what clever and endearing name will you label the blog, how the heck do I create a blog....see where this is leading? So day in and day out I read blogs and would just love to jump in a play too. So maybe that will be my contribution...a blog...that will be my embrace of my imperfection! Wish me luck, jumpin' off the deep end here! Tricia Anne (tricia@nosloop.com)

Darla said...

Nester!!!!! Thank you for honoring me that way by mentioning me. Really, I had a great time looking at everyone's blogs.

I, like you, NEED to know that we are imperfectly beautiful. And your reader's didn't let anyone down!

I felt like I went to 90++ bridal showers. LOL!!!

I can't wait to participate again!

P.S. Yesterday was one HUGE slammin party, girlfriend!

Lori said...

Sorry I did not participate, but I have to admit I have been too busy looking in your archives because I am 'doing' curtains for my kitchen and living room. =) But I loved looking at a few people who did participate.

Ok back to curtains. Still trying to figure things out. For my kitchen one I bought some cloth napkins and I am using those. I love the color, etc. But it still looks a bit plain so I am 'thinking on it.' =)

Andrea said...

I had tons of hits yesterday. I have a small readership of family and friends. I get only ONE comment here and there from my father-in-law or a gal I used to work with. That's it. Yesterday, I got 10 comments! Wow! I felt like a celebrity. I made my husband read them all, too.

It has been refreshing to see that there are other harried moms out there whose houses are imperfect too. I always feel like I'm the only one sometimes.

Right now I have to go furiously clean, clean, clean because my brother & sister-in-law are coming to visit. I'm closing the door on my craftroom though. :)

Julie @ Sweet Chaos said...

How do you check your stat thingy? This is all so totally new to me!

Melissa Santanastasio said...

Well good for you I am so real I couldnt find my camera!!! Do I get a prize. You are awesome even with some extra stuff hanging around!

Unknown said...

Yes, fun party indeed! Thanks for hosting.

Looking forward to the next one!

Vanessa Greenway said...

Hello! I guess you're not the only one who used to be ashamed for playing with Barbies, cause I played with them until I was 14!! Have a naice day! Vanessa

Trixi said...

I have to say I was floored at the response. I have wanted to get in on this blogging thing for a while but with trying to read everyone else's blogs I haven't had the time to do one myself. I knew I did not want to miss your IDHTBPTBB post, so I took the plunge. I had a great response of people I did not even know but plan on visiting often now. It was great. Thanks Nester for doing this.
Oh, and by the way, I plan on painting my living room the coveted Tobacco Road. It has taken me forever to track it down. As in our area, Sherwin Williams bought out Duron paints. I've tracked it down and I will tell you when I am finished. I think I will do my bathrooms first since I already have that paint.
Blessings,
Trixi

Nicole said...

Thanks for the fun party! It was such a good idea, and I learned a lot as well. I loved seeing everyone's imperfectly beautiful lives. It was a lot fun to get so many hits also. You'll definitely have to do this again sometime.

Mom in High Heels said...

Nester, thanks so much for doing that! I had such a great time peeking into the lives of other women. It's nice that we can let down our "perfect" wall and let others see the madness that goes on behind it. I also found so many blogs that I loved. I think I bookmarked about 15 new blogs. You'll always be my number one though. :)

Marie said...

Wow. Did we do well? I'm speaking for myself here, but the hits on my blog quadrooooopled yesterday. It kind of stinks because it was for a "look how ugly my house is" post, but hey, them's the breaks. ha ha I found some great new blogs yesterday though... so thanks for that!

A Mothers Heart for China said...

Hi Nester,

I too had the most hits ever, over 600! That is alot for a Mom who really doesn't have anything important to say. What I hope the most is thru you 600 people familiarized themselves with adoption, yea! So smile today and know maybe you helped plant a seed for a child to find their forever family. I will anxiously await the next share post. I am going to try and beat my own record of 5th place, haha! Have a wonderful day and you also inspired me to make me and the kids strawberry shakes today! Love your blog! Kim

Brian and Staci said...

Oh Nester---You ARE cute---only thinking 20 people would participate :) Silly girl! I had a great time seeing everyone's IDHTBPTBB posts! Thanks, thanks, thanks! I was most proud I figured out how to cut and paste my address so I could play! (You think I'm kidding, I'm not, this is how bad I am with the computer!) Can't wait to play again some time !!!!

Jenny said...

Talk about fun! This is what makes blogging addictive!

Thanks for hosting it. You definitely need to do another one in the future.

Like I said in my post, you could be paid as a therapist for the amount of help you give people. THANK YOU!

Anonymous said...

Nester...YOU thought maybe no one might do it??? Ok, if this was blog high school or better yet College you would be the senior president or something big like that....you are known in blogs EVERYWHERE. I go into some crazy random blog somewhere and there is your name on their blogroll!! Im not shocked one tiny bit. What did make me giggle was everyones version of 'untidy'..lol
Some pics had boxes,clothes, etc and some had sparkly clean floors with a pair of flip flops on the floor and a jacket lying there..lol
You have started a super, great thing and I am going to join the band wagon sooooooooooooooooon...just gotta get that camera...any suggestions on a really good camera? Our budget is not over 400.00

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Well, that was just about the most fun anyone could have without getting arrested for it, Nester. I was glued to my computer all day, visiting everyone's blogs. It was fun meeting so many of your readers. Here I thought I'd seen just about every blog out there! It's like having lots of new little worlds to explore. Thanks for hosting it!

I couldn't believe how many visitors stopped by from your site--nearly 800!! Amazing. I was totally blown away. Thanks to everyone who took the time to leave a comment. I loved hearing from so many new readers. -Julia :-)

Tiffany said...

Holy Cow! I had, like, 270 hits yesterday. I thought my stat counter was on the fritz. Most of the hits came from your link. It was a great idea and I loved seeing everyone else's imperfect, beautiful homes and families.

Heathahlee said...

I couldn't believe how many hits I got yesterday...over 600! And 22 comments...I was beside myself! Everyone was so sweet it just made me smile all day.

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

I visited almost every blog yesterday and greatly enjoyed peeking into everyone's homes and gardens! :)

Thanks to peer pressure from Nester fans (as well as some sunny weather yesterday!) I painted the mirror and candleholders that were in yesterday's post. Woohoo!! :)

~ Sarah

Shellie said...

It was my first time participating in something like that. Thanks for letting us play! It was sweet to get all the encouraging comments on my blog too. It brightened my day and was a breath of fresh air for this hugely pregnant woman.

And, the beautiful imperfections continue! As I'm typing this reply, I have my 5, 3 and 1 year old all playing beauty salon with my hair. My, oh my, don't I look "beautiful". *lol*

Amy H said...

I am so sad I was was sick yesterday and I didn't have a chance to add mine or check out all the other blogs! THere goes my whole morning at work! I am going to have to check out lal these blogs! I have found some great blogs from your readers comments!
Thanks to everyone for giving me soemthing to do at work today! LOL

Anonymous said...

Nester, I just want you to know what a blessing yesterday was for me. We live in a rectory/parsonage and there are some areas of my home that could really use some updating but because we don't own it we aren't going to touch them. My kitchen is the worst (you can see the 70s linoleum in my post). I definitely fall prey to not being thankful for it because it isn't perfect in my eyes.

It was so refreshing to be reminded that other people live with imperfections, too. Also, it reminded me that God has done this beautiful thing for us--leading my husband to a job with housing and nice housing at that--so that I could be at home with our kids. Thank you and thanks to everyone who shared!

Nicol said...

Darn! Yesterday was such a busy day that I didn't have a chance to do it. Hopefully you will do this again!

I am having a giveaway.
http://classyandsophisticated.blogspot.com/2008/06/giveaway.html

Anonymous said...

I'm late! What great fun, Nester- almost makes me want to blog so I can be part of it! And wowsers, so much response! I'm happy for you that it went over so well and now I'm antsy to get clicking and reading. Thanks for another great idea to brighten our days!

Amy Jo said...

It was great fun looking at everyone's everyday photos! What a different theme to read about, and just as inspiring as the decorating ideas you share

Sherri said...

Even though I didn't post it was fun to look at the other posts. I have a link thingy starting this Friday and I am hoping that people will participate there too!! Mine is "Frugal Tip Friday"

Kristen said...

I just discovered your blog-like 2.7 minutes ago and I am in love with your nest! I linked up an imperfect post and I'm so glad to meet you. I'm off to subscribe!

sherry said...

I would have joined in but my blog is private and, well, it just wouldn't be much fun that way. Crumb.

sherry said...

I need to make a drink like yours. Soon.

Kimba said...

I had such a ball yesterday! I still haven't made it to everyone's posts so I'm still visiting today.

I had soooo many visitors and comments. What fun!

Wandering No More said...

I've been enjoying your blog -- I wish you were my neighbor!! Before finding you I thought I was the only window mistreater out there! ( I had the nerve to post about it!) Reading that your son turned 7 yesterday prompted me to post - my son (got 3 of them too) turned 8 yesterday! We are also homeschoolers.

I'm looking forward to checking out all the imperfect inspiration on your Mr. Linky. Thanks for keeping it real!
Amy

Anonymous said...

Can you make me one of those?

Sissy said...

It was a really fun way to connect us all together. If we are all blogging about the same topic, then it is more fun for everyone who's interested!

Thanks for the comment on my blog design. I do love it...it worked out exactly like I was hoping!

Theresa said...

You should do it again soon, I'd love to join...I recently stumbled upon your blog and have already made some ragamuffin thingys (eek! Attack of the mommy brain sorry! but I'm sure you know what I mean...maybe)... Anyhow, it's good to see that there are others out there like me, imperfectly beautiful...thanks for the get away from my own reality! Hehe!

Nancy said...

That was awesome, Nester. You must be exhausted cleaning up after your hugely successful blog party. I thought my counter was broken because over 1000 people stopped by!!! It was so much fun and consider this a great big hug and thank you. Nancy

Jennifer said...

Hello Nester! I found your blog while surfing one day and now I check it out daily. You have a great style and seem to enjoy life and decorating the way it should be – IDHTBPTBB! I have looked at so many beautiful blog post's from readers and always think - “WOW, their house looks PERFECT! I wish my house looked like that!” But of course, no one usually will post their “imperfect” rooms. I think all women could really relate to this post.

Thanks for giving so many people out there a little piece of joy every time they click on your blog!

A new Nester Fan,
Jennifer

annie said...

I had great fun participating and coming out of "lurkdom" for such an event! I love celebrating the beauty of imperfections and I love seeing what others find beautiful in their lives. Thank you for the fun and the idea and for visiting. :)

Anonymous said...

I am still trying to get to all the links-lol once again u tempted me to get a blog-just so I could show off my messy childrens room-lol what is that drink it looks so delish!

Anonymous said...

Yes, this was an awesomely fun time and you are wonderful for thinking of it! I, too, had tons of hits and several very nice comments from the other sweeties out there! I promise I'll comment those who commented me, right after I get the kids to bed and start tackling the laundry that I documented!

Anonymous said...

The linking party was a great idea, and I enjoyed seeing all of the imperfectly beautiful posts. Thanks for doing this, Nester. I'm looking forward to the next one!

Unknown said...

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your post and linking party! I've just had my 4th child and have been teetering on the brink of insanity over the past few weeks. Worrying about how out of control my home is (and then thinking that my LIFE is equally out of control) Just yesterday morning, I told my husband, "my friends seem to all have it all together. They know what they are doing. I feel so messed up... am I the only one, or are we all just faking it?"

Then.

I found your post.

I got my answer in a HUGE way. I bet you never thought you'd be a closet therapist, but that's exactly what this did for me. I realized that it is much more important to be HAPPY and loving than to have my living room look like a page out of southern living and drive my entire family NUTS.

So,

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

From the bottom of my heart!

I am Mom said...

What is that drink you made your sweet, giving, brave self?

The Nester said...

Hopefull,

it's an iced coffee made with espresso, lots of milk and hazelnut creamer! and a little whip.

lazy susie said...

Next time I want to have time to look at all of the posts the day that we celebrate. I will plan on it! Don't wait too long, Nester.

Lazy Susie

My Three Girls (The A girls) said...

All I have to say that Nester you could wrap anything and it looks expensive.

Are you sure you are not a Disney princess character?