No Credit Required



Chair: $14.
Disenfectant: $3.


Touch up Pens: $4.

Getting a timeless chair that I was immediately drawn to even though I had no idea where I would put it so I got to play in my house and find the perfect spot and then change the back of my hutch and then show you: Priceless.

83 comments:

Kristen said...

Thank you for showing me the disinfectant. The OCD clean freak in me was starting to have a heart attack!

Great deal on the chair though!

Erin said...

Love it! Aren't bargains great? We want to see the new backing in your cabinet- don't hold out on us!

Anonymous said...

So, was this from a yard sale or thrift store? Do you hit the thrift stores on a certain day to look for great deals?

Les & Sweetie Berry said...

I am so that way...it comes home before I decide what gets improved, sold, horse traded or redefined....it is one of my most favorite ways to play!! Wishing you were with me enjoying the vendors in NW Arkansas! Hugs!
Shan

Amy H said...

Oh Nester I love it! I LOVE the pattern on the chair! It looks awesome!

Denise K. said...

WOW, you are SO good! Love the chair, love the price!!! I still wish you could make house calls to all your readers and help us with our homes! You and your sister are so creative, and such neat women! I am so happy I have found your blogs, and look forward to many more posts! Thanks for inspiring us all!

Unknown said...

You are so great; I'd either not buy it if I didn't know where to put it, or it would come home & sit in the basement for a year! My obsession at thrift shop is little decorative tables and benches!

Heathahlee said...

I didn't know there was such an animal as a "touch-up pen!" Hmmm, add that to my gotta-purchase items!

Jen said...

I LOVE that chair. I gasped as your page opened. And then I cried. Because there is no way I could get a chair like that for a price like that where I live.

Anonymous said...

Love the chair. You are quite the decorator and quite the shopper.

Blogger said...

Very lovely as always, Nester! :)

My Three Girls (The A girls) said...

Proof that you can make anything beautiful.

Keep on Nesting Nester

Preppy Mama said...

That is a bargain!! Lucky girl!

Beth Cotell said...

I love it!

Where do you get most of your finds? Goodwill? Yardsales? Dumpster diving?

Kathi Roach said...

Great find!

I see a little corner of your "new" look in your hutch....can't wait to see the rest. :)

Kitty Scraps said...

Score! Well done you!

TupeloLove said...

You are the Queen of finding "the diamond in the rough". Go you!

Anonymous said...

Love it. Love it. Love it.
BTW, my husband thought I was crazy this past Saturday morning. The neighbors were having a garage sale & I had to make two trips to bring home my "treasures".

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Oh, what a great chair. We're on such the same thrifting frame of mind! That really was a great bargain on that one. And you didn't have to recover.

Rhoda

The Dragonfly said...

That chair is making me drool! I, like everyone else, want to know where you found it.

Marie said...

$14?? That wasn't a great find that was a STEAL! :o)

Anonymous said...

I have an empty spot I have been looking for that "perfect chair" for a "perfect price. yOUR chair would fit perfectly in my spot..lol
I cant believe you paid 14 bucks!!! I didnt go out garage saling this weekend and after seeing your bargain I am wishing I had. Thanks for sharing and LOVE YOUR BLOG. I miss you over the weekends along with all your other peeps

Valarie Lea said...

Cute Cute! I am glad you had that disinfectant on hand. Sometimes other peoples stuff, if I don't know the other person, gives me the hebby jebbies. :)

The Nester said...

I got it at the Goodwill in the rich part of town where rich people take their castoffs. You know, everything is disposable. They sit on a sofa once and then you have to throw it away.

Did anyone ever see that Saturday night live spoof for the one time use/disposable toilets? People had toilets stacked in their trash because you use it once and throw it away? You know, that way you don't have to clean them! Ok, it was much funnier when they did it on TV.

wyndesnow said...

Nester you are a constant source of inspiration and amazement!!!! I have "borrowed" some of your ideas for the improvements we have been making. I can't wait to get to my PC (should be today) to upload all the "after" pictures, not many before, I just wasn't thinking.

Anonymous said...

Girl! Love that Goodwill chair. And I love the fabric on the hutch. I'm painting this week - can't wait to get the fabrics! We've been out of town and I've been dying to get started!

Kimba said...

What a great find! And a great price!

Anonymous said...

I love it! Great find and great fixer-upper ideas! It looks great in your frist pic.

Ashley said...

What a great find! You definitely have me inspired to go bargain hunting at all our local thrift stores. I'm sure the husband will be thrilled! I'll blame it on you. ;)

Wow.... I still can't believe that price!

Deb said...

Love it. Awesome find. I do that all the time. I love they way it looks, don't know where it will go, but I have to have it. That is usually how I end up getting rid of other stuff I have been hanging on to.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Oh my...NO FAIR!! (Do I sound like my daughter?)How can I have been there for all those hours and not have found it... and you didn't even have to recover! I told you that store was unbelievable. I think the Good will lady was just waiting till I walked out the door to bring it on in.:) She knew I needed to develop character in the covet-ness area. The great thing is that you even got the disinfectants there, didn't you? I even got me a "preferred shopper card"..yep, an extra 10% off every purchase...free to sign up. Now that cracks me up. I use that card more than any of my others.:) Love, Love, LOVE IT!!

Tracey said...

Amazing job! Looks great!

Renee said...

What a great find! Looks right at home just where you decided to put it. I think I will have to go for those pens instead of the wax-o type.

What we can find for so little is so great especially when we can show others are great thrifty finds.

Nester I am trying to find the post on your front porch as I am holding a show me your fron entry way with pictures for all to see. Either your want to do like me, lol! Or your already beautified front entry welcome to my house pic.

Renee :)

Renee said...

I seem to have spelling problems today after my daughter's 6th birthday party with 25+ people and over 10 kids. I am still soaking my lazagna pans!

Hoping you forgive my errors.

Renee

Anna said...

wow, that looks great! what a bargain. Where do you find the touch up pens?

Krissy said...

Wow! I LOVE that chair!!!

I thought you'd be interested in a thread over on a scrapbooking site. Thanks to you, I have started a Tobacco Road revolution LOL.....Anyway, here's a link if you'd like to see:

http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/mb.asp?cmd=display&thread_id=2613351

Hyperactive Lu said...

You did a great job! Where did you find the chair?!

Carry Grace said...

That was a steal! Great find!

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Beautiful chair!

My husband would DIE if I brought home a chair out of the blue like that. :-)

And I guess I'm more unrefined than I thought: You can buy a PEN to do that?? That looked GREAT! I would have never thought that you could color on furniture and make it look better!

Anonymous said...

i LOVE that chair. if you never find a place for it, i'll buy it from you :) its gorgeous!

Brenis said...

WOW!!! Awesome SCORE! BRAT. :p

I am passing along the Kreative Blogger Award to you - as you deserve it MUCH more than i do!! LOL
Swing over to my blog and pick it up!!
hugs,
Bren :)

mrs boo radley said...

Fabulous find. And yay for touch-up pens.

Laura said...

So not fair! I love that chair! I saw a glimpse of the back of the hutch, cannot wait to see that! I want to live in your house!

Laura :)

Still Learning said...

Goodwill is one of a girl's best friends..the consignment store and her little sister the yard sale rank quite nicely too.

Sweetie said...

This is my first visit. I love the chair and all of your wonderful ideas. I envy those that live in locations with an abundance of thrift stores and flea markets.

Jo said...

What a beautiful, beautiful chair! It would have caught my eye too! And for only $14! Our Goodwill usually really overprices their furniture (hello $99 for a battered old dresser with sticky drawers?)

Nicol said...

What a great find! I always love to find those kinds of treasures!

Anonymous said...

hmmmmmmm thrifting in the rich part of town. Good idea. My brother in law works in waste management (garbage man..lol) anyhow he works a VERY rich part of town and comes home every single week with incredible finds but because its not NEW anymore or they had it more than 1 month they literally throw things out!! My sister has almost new coach luggage they threw out. The only thing they could find wrong was a scuff mark!

moxie mama said...

what a gorgeous chair! i'm trying to talk my husband into letting me get a similar looking couch from a local thrift store...maybe if i show him a picture of all that disinfectant he will agree!

Katie said...

Love it! May we peek at the new cabinet backing??

Amber said...

I don't know how I happened upon your site but I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I could use your advice (and your sis too). Go to http://haiderfam.blogspot.com/2008/07/please-offer-your-two-cents.html
and offer your two cents about what I should do to my kitchen! PLEASE!

The Beauty Bargainista said...

I am totally dying over this! I need some of those touch up pens for sure!!

Jenny said...

I adore this chair!!!! What a great deal you got! I LOVE... your blog. I have tried several of you great ideas and am so happy with the results! I made a few mistreatments last week and can't wait to make some more!!!!

Nikki @ Saving For A Rainy Day said...

Oh,Nester....
How you inspire me.
*Rushes down to the thrift store.....*

Trixi said...

That is truly a priceless find. I would definitely find a place for it and I too, am relieved to see the disinfectant.LOL
Blessings~~

Anonymous said...

I love it! Wow! Such a pretty chair! Congrats on the find! I'd like to find a blue chair for our bedroom.

Shane H. said...

I officialy dub you the "Queen of Bargain Hunting!" Great find. :)

Biteofpunkinpie said...

this is ot, but wanted to tell you that i made my second rag/ribbon garland this weekend. the first i made for youngest daughter's room, this one i made as a baby gift. it turned out SUPER cute if i do say so myself, PLUS i found a GREAT deal on ribbon at hobby lobby- they sell bags of 'leftover' ribbon- 30 yards for $3, all cut into 2 yard pieces, so you get 15 different pieces of ribbon, and they usually try to keep it all w/in some type of color scheme, so you can sort through the bags and find one that will match your project. AWESOME!

Mary said...

Great bargain! Cute chair!

Anonymous said...

Ooooo...love the chair...charming!!! I missed the sweet birdie with the green! Nuts!

Like everyone else...can't wait to see the back of the hutch. Have a great week and God bless.

emily freeman said...

Wow. I didn't know George Banks from Mary Poppins could be so generous, as he clearly donated his chair to the Goodwill.

It looks just like it.

Now you want to rent the movie. Right?

Lindenhaus said...

What a lovely chair! I could never find something like that at our small city Goodwill. It's NASTY in that store!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you said, "No Credit Rquired" 'cause that goes along with the theme of one of my latest posts: http://salpetitt.wordpress.com/2008/07/26/act-your-wage/

I even quoted you! LOVE what you did with the chair!

Anonymous said...

Lucky you! Ok! when can you come to Florida to help me? Julie

My First Kitchen said...

Cute cute! I'm going thrifting this weekend with the man, and now I'm even more motivated to find something great. And for less than $15...

Anonymous said...

You do find the deals, don't you?! Awesome!!

Robin said...

Fabulous!

My Beautiful Mess! said...

Wow...perfect chair, perfect corner, P-E-R-E-F-E-C-T price!

Christina said...

Love your chair. I'm also amazed at the price. Our goodwill will have a stained ugly chair for $50.00 or more. Great deal and it looks beautiful in your home.

Just say Julie said...

love it! I have been stalking your blog for about 2 weeks now and finally got up the nerve to try a thing or two I learned form you. Thanks for inspiring!

Jennifer P. said...

By the 73rd commenter, I'm sure you're tired of hearing that "it's a great chair" and "good thing you disinfected it"----but I said them again anyway :)!

Love how it looks next to those buffalo check curtains!---which I had no idea you had when I recommended them for that woman's house :)!

Wendy said...

How do you do it, Nester?? You have a gift; an eye for the potential in everything!

Mrs. Jones said...

You scored big on that chair! I just love the fabric, too.

~Heather

Katie said...

We all want to know what places you junk at?? Your unreal, you need to make housecalls. I have been reading the blog for 2 weeks now, I have been copying and pasting your pictures and trying to get my brain going to change some things around my house. You have been a great inspiration. I love your style, and I love that you shop on a budget that is real. I have learned so much already can't wait to read each day. God Bless!
Katie

Anonymous said...

Beautiful chair! I have furnished my home with Goodwill, Salvation Army, and Habitat for Humanity Restore finds. There is wonderful stuff hidden in with the particle board junk--I have found old Ethan Allen, Baker, Henredon, and Pennsylvania House solid wood furniture that only needed a good cleaning, touch-up pen, and coat of Bri-wax polish to look beautiful again. You can find great accessories and rugs, too. I love my "thrift store" finds-they help me make a comfortable, cozy home on a small budget. Miss Kris

katylinvw said...

awesome! i love it! this is a great find!

Katy said...

I love that!!!! :) AWESOME!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I was sure someone would notice but this chair looks just like the one on the new Pottery Barn catalog form a week or so ago! The colors on PB are brighter (I prefer yours), but it's the same style!

Great find, you have a way of fitting all of the right pieces together.

Thanks for sharing,
Jamie

Anonymous said...

Loving your blog! You have given me lots of inspiration as I start to re-do one of my bedrooms! Can't wait to check out the rest of your blog!

Anonymous said...

I have picked up chairs like this. In fact I have one to be recovered, but I need one of those pens. Where do you get them? Do they come in different wood colors? I haven't done any garage saling or thrifting since my kids have gotten older, but maybe I need to start that up again!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and can you tell me what you do with the grab it? Do you just run it over the fabric on the chair? Please share how you use these "tools"

Katharyn said...

What did you use for the touch up pens?

Ms. Tee said...

Love this!

I've been reading your blog for a while, thanks to Julia at Hooked on Houses.

You have such great ideas - I hope you don't mind, I linked to you over at my place.

Can't wait to see what's next! :)