31 Days to A Better Dressed Nest :: Day 1~ Give Something Away

Today, we are starting a new little series. Ok, so it's not so little. It's the biggest series I've ever attempted to do. And I'm more than a little afraid that I'll get bored after 5 days of writing about this and want to move on.

31 Days to a Better Dressed Nest is a direct result of me reading and copying Darren from ProBlogger and his genius series, 31 Days to Build a Better Blog. If you have a blog, it's a vital read.

For the next 31 days {crosses fingers} we'll discuss quick, easy ways that you can make your nest just a little better. There will be some days where we have two posts: one being a 31 days post and the other something else {like today, the giveaway winners were announced}. You can put up with me on Saturdays and Sundays for awhile, right? I hope as we gear up for the busy holiday season that by implementing these baby steps, we can come a little closer to having a home that serves its purpose, reflects what's important to our family, and is a place of rest not chaos.

Let's Nest!

***

Day 1: Give Something Away

Give something away. What? The path to a better dressed nest is to get rid of stuff? For free?

Yep. You just thought of that thing didn't you. That thing someone gave you as a gift that's not quite your style, you love it, but for some reason cannot use it in your home. Or maybe you purchased it yourself but you are not loving it. Tie a ribbon on it, put it in a special place or in your car, and the next time you see your friend that it will be perfect for, give it to her. You don't have to pretend like you bought it for her. Tell her you can't use it and if she can, great, if not, pass it on.

My sweet crystal chandelier is a direct result of someone not wanting something anymore, knowing I would love it, and caring enough to gift it to me. It's one of my favorite things.

We have a tendency to want to hold onto great stuff even if we'll never use it. Why not let someone actually enjoy it? You'll feel good making someone's day, and, clear some space in your own home for stuff you will actually use.

What are you giving away?

76 comments:

Lindsay @ Makely said...

LOVE THIS SERIES!

Okay, I have two wooden barn stars that I bought and love, but I don't really have a place where they "fit." I know exactly who's going to get them, too!

Anonymous said...

Darn! I was hoping the chandelier was the thing YOU were getting rid of. I was going to volunteer to take it! :-) This sounds like a great series. I'm looking forward to it. Off to see what I can give away.
pk @ room remix

southerninspiration said...

I am excited about this series....you always make things like this fun, so have no worries, m'dear.
I'll be thinking about this and giving something away!

Suzanne

tooznie said...

How ironic I'm purging the boys rooms today, the younger aged toys are going to a church playgroup that's looking to boost their toy supply and I'm clearing out some of the clothes and a couple of strollers that I had planned to ebay, but you know what, it hasn't happened in 2.5 years, it's not going to happen now either!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Yea - so proud of you. This is going to be an amazing series. I announced back in August I was going to do a "31 days of Intentional Living." 10 minutes, 31 days...I got everyone excited and whoops...it's October and I'm not ready to start. Guess I needed to be a bit more intentional before I got everyone else excited. :)

rachel blazer said...

ummm... can i give away my dog? his hair is definitely not working with my decor. : )
i do have some extra things i've been keeping because "they're so cute!" but if i'm not using them, i should find a friend who would. thanks for the tip! i think this series will be great. if you get bored, just give some kind of wacky advice & see how many of us catch that you were kidding! : )
thanks!
rachel

Unknown said...

My nieghborhood is having its annual yard sale this weekend and I can't wait! Then, the local mission is coming by to all of our houses to pick up the leftovers to take to those in need! So, i'm going to sale, then give away - best of both worlds, I think! I also just gave away my little guy's baby seat - to a mom that has five children of her own and couldn't really afford a nice one. I cried when I took it out of my car...but I know it's going to help someone that needs it!

jaquelyn {mama thoughts} said...

Yay for a new series! Thanks Nester!

Oh, I'm bad at giving stuff away...if I have something, I hang onto it. Nester, you've convicted me. The sister and I are redoing our room, so I guess I'll have to clean out and give some things away. =)

onthistimearound.blogspot.com

Tamera said...

I'm giving things away this Saturday and hosting my first SWAP! Does it count if in giving things away, I will also be gaining?:)
Great idea. Can't wait for all of the ideas!

Unknown said...

No idea what I will give away, but I will find it today as soon as I get home.

I'm with ya every step of the way on this one... and I know our ADD minds are alike, so I'm crossing my fingers with ya!

Patricia said...

Great idea!
I do happent o give things away pretty frequently ~ maybe not enough stuff but then again I have been pretty good about not buying things I can't use since we are moving soon.
I love your idea of a swap too but I ended up not having time this past year so I had a quick yardsale
What did not sell, I placed an ad for on FREECYCLE and an ad on CRAIGSLIST... I sat down and started lunch and people were already there picking the stuff up.
It felt so good to just give it away!

Looking forward to the 31 days

"Blossom" said...

Great Idea. Lord knows I need to give away.

Bethany said...

I'm giving away 2 very nice (but not my style) leaded crystal bowls. It feels good to lighten the load! :)

queenbee said...

I am looking forward to this series. I'll have to think about something that I have to giveaway that someone actually needs or may want. Does goodwill count:)

A. M. Newsom said...

I have SOOO MUCH stuff that I need to give away:)

I like your idea, but my "junk" overwhelms me!

Has anyone ever had a FREE yardsale? (maybe with a donations accepted sign) I might try it - I want this mess gone...

I am looking forward to your 31 day challenge!

Three Birds Inspired said...

I love my great-great-grandmother's antique sewing machine but I really don't have anywhere to display it so I am giving it to my sister. (I can't believe I am doing this!!)

Unknown said...

I just did this yersterday! :) Cleaning out my closets and finding little treasures that I love, but have no use for! :) How timely!

maryjt said...

Just yesterday I brought out my 2 boxes of fall decor and after putting out what I wanted I still had oodles of stuff left. Your post has inspired me to give some of it away. I am taking the box of extras to my Bible study next week to let the gals have at it. Whatever is left is going to the SA donation site. Looking forward to more inspiration the next 30 days.

Suzy I said...

I gave away a pair of Tiffanys crystal candlesticks. We got them as a wedding present 7 years ago and I've never been able to make them fit. I gave them to a friend to was IN LOVE with them from the moment she saw them. So glad they have a new home where they will be used and not just hanging out in a pretty blue box in the attic!

Alex said...

Hmmm...I'll have to search my nest to see what it is I have and can get rid of.

Do clothes count? :-)

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

This will be a fun month reading your posts! Also, thanks for hosting the giveaway, what a huge success!
Janell

Brittany said...

Something I have been meaning to do for forever and just keep putting off.

I have a TON of great bags that I never use because I have two go-to one's that my hubby bought me from my favorite designer on massive sale. Tonight I am going to clean out my closet and give them to a lady at my church that always compliments my bags, loves bags herself but doesn't have the money to spend on them... I know that she will really appreciate them (and share with her daughter) and I will enjoy seeing the top shelf of my closet instead of the mound of bags that are collecting dust there.

Decor To Adore said...

Finally I am keeping up with your blog perfectly! :) A friend of mine is going through tough times and she is hosting a garage sale this weekend. I went through my entire house and have a car full of stuff to donate to her cause.
My house is clean and my heart is happy. Keep spreading the joy Nester!

Gloria said...

Oooo...great series idea. Hmmm what to give away???

Anonymous said...

A ton of clothing! =) In addition, I'd like to find a home for some of the "gifts" the previous owner of our home blessed us with. Some of it is dated and probably trash, but there are pieces there that my mother, grandmother or aunts might want.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

What? Give stuff AWAY? Actually, I have a blue throw that I got as a gift last year and never used {I only have blue in a spare bedroom that is, like, never used}. I'm sure there are a few other things, but this comes to mind because I keep moving the bag out of my way in my closet.

Gwynie Pie said...

Great 31 Day series !!

I'm with you on giving things away. I've actually been practicing this concept for a while now, asking every day "what can I give away today?". Sometimes it's $$ to someone in need or time to help someone out in some way or it's actually giving away my "things". I am loving giving away. It purges my living spaces and blesses someone else at the same time. And of course I get blessed too.

I was given a beautiful wooden tray with a cottage-y mosaic bottom. I love it, but I'm not so cottage-y anymore. I do have a friend who loves the cottage look and I'm putting the tray in my car and taking it to her tomorrow.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Gwyn Rosser
@ The Pink Tractor
http://www.gwynrosser.blogspot.com

Cheryl said...

I will have to search for something to give away because I have already given away most everything I own when we had to sell our home. We called Habitat for Humanity and loaded a tractor trailer for them. The only thing I could not part with was my Moravian star that we always hung out at Christmas time. We live in our camper so just the necessities are here. Thanks for this 31 days. I am looking forward to making my nest nicer.
Cheryl

Unknown said...

Yeah! so much fun!! I am so glad I stumbled across your blog!!!! 1 week follower and I'm already hooked, but could you please check the giveaway winners??!! I didn't see my name!! Just kidding. Great stuff, just bummed I didn't win, but will definately keep in mind for Christmas shopping!!!!
So I am inspired and am going to do my VERY FIRST giveaway ever thanks to you. Yikes. Hop on over and I will be working on a post today for details!

Scooper said...

Oh happy day! 31 days of The Nester must be a consolation prize for those of us who did not win a giveaway. I'll take it!

larkswing said...

Great series! Thanks for the idea/reminder to pass along those duck decoys in the attic - my mom would love them.

:)

Anonymous said...

Great idea for a series! I can't wait to get started. I have a lot of "country primitive" decor that I don't want any more...I guess that is what I'll give away. I'm also finding that my PH fantasia canisters really don't go with my kitchen, but the thought of giving them away makes me want to cry... I'll see what I can do.

Anonymous said...

YES! =-D This is what I've been doing for the past several months! It helps other people and it helps you feel better about yourself AND your home! Awesome possum! =-D

Elizabeth said...

Totally awesome idea! I'm giving away a T.V. that will never be used and some baby food. I already contact my small group bible study members to see if they know anyone who could use either!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Unknown said...

this gives me a grin because last night I put aside a picture frame to give away. I bought it when we were building our home, but when things fell through with the (in retrospect, iffy) contractor b/c CMHC wouldn't touch it (no homebuilder's insurance), we wound up buying a different home instead. The frame just did not work in our current home and it's been one of the things stored in my craftroom/office. Yesterday I did a huge purge and its time for the frame to find a new home!

Karrie said...

I LOVE this new series and could truly use your help.
I have never lived in one house/apartment for more than 2 years and we have been in our current house for 7 years!!! I am use to purging when I move and apparently, when I don't move... I don't purge. Add to that 3 babies in those 7 years and the STUFF is starting to TAKE OVER!!!!
I am going to give away BABY CLOTHES!! I was going to take them to consignment, garage sale them, or even try to sell some on ebay. But knowing how expensive all things baby can be, I have decided to instead gift them to a young couple with a newborn. I am planning to take them over and then call in a few weeks to see if I can pick up anything they didn't want and take it to Goodwill. I don't want them to have to deal with unwanted clutter laying around, while learning to be new parents.
Thanks!
This was just the kick in the britches I needed!!!

Barbie said...

I seriously have a stack of stuff in my dining room that I have been holding on to for no reason at all. It is hard to part with it when you know it is still pretty. Now I have a perfect reason. Thank you!

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

Great idea - both the series and the idea of giving things away.

Kirsten said...

What a great idea for a series. I'm new to your blog but really love it. You have such great ideas - you're a real inspiration!

Heidi said...

I'm looking forward to what you've got to share!

I'm starting a series/challenge for the month of October - check it out!

http://1wonderwomanwannabe.blogspot.com/2009/10/rohcday-1.html

Love Being A Nonny said...

Love this. As soon as I get home, I will find something to give away! I love making others happy!

Ali Mae said...

Oh Boy--I'm definitely lingering on here for the next 30 days :D. My sister gave me two iron work wall hangings, and my husband put them above our bath tub. I HATE them there. I've racked my brain trying to think of how to repurpose or improve them, but the best solution IS probably to just gift them. Maybe I can convince the hubs that someone else could enjoy them more.

Nancy @ Live love laugh said...

That has actually been my mission this week! I have been in the attic sorting through my mom's stuff. It has been 3 years but it is still so hard! I did gather up some pots and dishes and took them to our Neighborhood House. It always feels good...just tough looking through everything!

Richella Parham said...

Oh, goody! A series from you! Thank you very much for helping us take the baby steps that we need to take. This will be fun for us, and I hope it will be for you, too!

Got some Fall decor that I need to give away. . . to one of my dear friends who was just telling me that she doesn't really have any special Fall decor. Thanks for the inspiration!

Terri said...

Great idea! And I LOVE The Scooper's comment... having a dose of you every day for the next 31 IS a wonderful prize!!! Blessings!

BlueCastle said...

This is going to be fun! I'm looking forward to this series. Now, for today, does it count that I did this very thing you recommended, last week? :) I had some dishes I loved but just couldn't use and gave them to a friend who adores them. It's fun to share and every once in awhile the sharing comes back around and makes my day.

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

Soooooooo excited about this series! I can think of about 347 things I could happily give away today!

~Amanda

Rebekah said...

I bought this tiny, pretty, crystal hanging lamp thingy at IKEA about 2 years ago and it's just sat in the closet. It doesn't match my little girl's room at all and there is really nowhere else in the house that it will work. I bought it just because it was so cute and so cheap. I know about a dozen friends that could use it. Maybe I'll make it a giveaway on my blog. hmmmmm...

Cheryl @ a pretty cool life. said...

I have lots of holiday decor I should get rid of. When I was first married I was into decorating every nook and cranny...now not so much.

The stuff is all gorgeous, I just am more minimal now that I have babies who are more important than getting every last flat surface covered with tinsel. lol

I think my newlywed sister would be the perfect recipient...she's me 5 years ago!

Erin Cookmeyer said...

I am going straight home after work and finding something to give away. I am so excited about this series!

Unknown said...

I am giving away 2 ceiling fans that are beautiful, just not our style. And I'm working through the house to find other candidates.

Looking forward to your series!

Hillary @ The Other Mama said...

Nester,
I'm all over this series and I love the first tip. I have to tell you that I wanted to gift these adorable chef paintings to my sister who just got a new apartment, but was afraid she would mess them up. (She is much younger and a smidge on the crazy side. Smidge is being polite.) Anywho, I've been holding on to them... in my garage... for TWO YEARS... without doing a thing with them. But now, I am taking them down to her this weekend.
Thank you. You have been my bit of therapy today.
How much do I owe you?

Little Oak Table said...

hey nester-i checked out that blogging series-it looks like it's $20.00 to download-am i looking at the right thing?!

ps very excited about this series!!

Christi said...

Yay! I'm so glad it's finally October - I've been waiting for this since your State of the Nest post.

I've been giving things away A LOT as we prepare to move; lots of things that are in this home won't work at the new one for various reasons. So as I take stuff down, it goes to its new home.

Great idea!

The Nester said...

Pro blogger did the series on his blog so, you should be able to find it in his archives. But some people wanted it in a print out/ebook form so that's also available. I just read it on his blog as he wrote it this past summer.

You should be able to search for it and find it--I linked to the main page for it which happens to be the ebook.

Abbie said...

I was totally intimidated when you announced this series because I was sure they'd all be things I couldn't do! BUT this is great! I can do this!

I'm going to give away a star thingy that is cool, but not me. I think I'll take it to Mom's Group tonight and see if anyone wants it! :) Thanks, Nester!

Bonita said...

I'm so proud of you for tackling a writing series for the whole month! Can't wait to hear your ideas.

Welcome to M and M World! said...

What a great series...I need it so bad. Our church announced this past Sunday they are having a "free" flee market for those in need so I am turning it all over but I do have some wonderful pieces that just don't quite fit, a beautiful salad bowl or centerpiece is getting a bow today and in the car for it's next home. Thanks!

Lori said...

Uuuuum, at what point are we allowed to give away Grandma's things?

DarbyM said...

I'm so all over this series! Although I don't have a chandelier I'm sure I can come up with a few goodies to share with friends!

Sarah C said...

Oh good, I sort of already did this today. I dropped 5 bags of household stuff off at the local charity bin.....that was sort of the assignment....only I don't know the people who will end up with it.....so can I still get credit anyway? ;o)

Barbie said...

Yippee! So looking forward to taking part in this. I know I have a lot of things I can give away! Now, off to figure out what and to home and will hopefully post follow up soon!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Was gone all day for MOPS and stuff and am just sitting down to read this. I am so excited, and am so hoping you don't get distracted by something shiny and forget about us. ;) Great, great idea! I am SURE I can rummage through my stuff and find things to give away. :)

Blessed Mama said...

Great Idea! I am going to blog on it......naturally! :) I gave a big Paris print. Sounds crazy I know, but the more I looked at it the more it felt like it just didn't "fit".

Sarah said...

I'm looking forward to the changes the next 31 days brings. Thanks for motivating us to start with giving to others! God's blessings, Sarah :D

Leen said...

I love the idea of this series and will be checking in every day :)

You are right, I am going to head into my backroom and part with some of those things that I love but don't use. I know a few people that will love and use them :)

Merdena said...

I especially like the idea of tying a ribbon on it so that the person receiving knows that it is a gift and that you don't want them to pay you for it. It is sometimes awkward when you ask someone "could you use this" and you feel like they aren't sure how to answer because it might be something they don't have the money for right now.

metromom said...

OK, I did it! A coffee table that was not the right size for my room but that I was hanging onto because of a post you wrote about your boys playing games on a coffee table - it just sounded so perfect - hopefully it will be perfect for someone else.

Lysa TerKeurst said...

Hey... who cares about being on Oprah when you get the nod from Emily and Nester! Seriously... you gals are so sweet.

Thanks for mention!

I am praying God uses the show to draw hearts to Him!!!

shabby girl said...

I DID IT!!! There is a woman on the other side of the continent that inspires me every day.
In fact, I was so inspired that I painted her a picture, on a canvas, a 12x12 canvas. I was really happy about it, and then started thinking, who do I think I am to send someone I don't really know this big painting that she may, (1) have no room for, and (2) not want??? I procrastinated for weeks.
Then I read your post, got off my fanny, and mailed it. I sent it with all good wishes, and, who knows, she may "gift it" to someone else!

Cristie Campbell said...

OK. I gotta say, I'm pretty happy about this new series. And I , Cristie, commit to trying everything you suggest. Having said that, I must also tell you that I am pregnant (with my 4th BOY - boys are BEAUTIFUL), and so go easy on me, would ya??? :) Just kidding...if you throw out something too difficult, I will employ one of the other members of my family...there are plenty of them.

Maureen Linse-Adras said...

I give stuff away on a weekly basis to my church's non-profit store...toys, furniture, great clothes, but now I'm inspired, after 21 years of most-of-the-time wedded bliss, to go give away the Waterford crystal wedding gifts that are beautiful, but not my style. It's time to let go! It already feels liberating!

Maureen Linse-Adras said...

I give stuff away on a weekly basis to my church's non-profit store...toys, furniture, great clothes, but now I'm inspired, after 21 years of most-of-the-time wedded bliss, to go give away the Waterford crystal wedding gifts that are beautiful, but not my style. It's time to let go! It already feels liberating!

LenaLoo said...

Hmmm... does it count if you accidentally give something away? I let my church borrow a huge hurricane vase that I use to hold some tall, bright colored pods and branches, and it didn't make it back home because it got smashed (good thing it was only $2.50)...

Nutmeg said...

I ran across your series at The Ice House blog (where she landed that awesome, and somewhat outlandish, neon sign). I've had a house full of sickies ever since vacation ended and I'm...well...sick of it and in desperate need of a breath of fresh air. This is just what I needed! Funny enough, I'd already started this little challenge w/o being aware of this little challenge!

Because I was feeling a bit stressed, I had gone downstairs a few hours ago to declutter something (cheap therapy) and decided to let go of a plate holder I absolutely adore that was given to me by my mother in law, but has never been used and will more than likely continue to reside forever in the basement (it was supposed to be a towel holder in my bathroom that ended up not working out).

So, yay! Even though I am DAYS behind the game, I've got one day down! (and type A that I am, I'll HAVE to do ALL the days to get it right! lol)

Amy @ Raising Arrows

Beez Kneez Designs said...

Great tip!

I just gave away a large polka dot coffee cup/saucer planter yesterday! My mom had been admiring it and I wanted to find a cutzy thing to do with it inside and couldn't. She will use it beautifully I'm sure!!

Thanks!