I don't know what to call it. I don't know what use it has. But I like it. Years ago I made these...things and sold them but, never really knew what to call them.You get you a deep frame like this--a great use for one of those frames where the glass is broken, because you don't need glass. I've used all sizes of frames and you can go really large with these and have a huge cork board. Here I used one with a 4 x 6 opening. You can even stand your cork up and down and cut it in half to use the circle side up. Some people cut their corks in half lengthwise to double up on the amount of corks they can use but I like them to be whole.
Then you get you some corks. Don't drink much wine? You can purchase corks on etsy and ebay. Make sure you get real cork, not the fake stuff. I always lay mine in first so I can arrange them. See that little fellow up there in the corner? He's a little stout for that position so just replace him.
Better. They don't have to touch perfectly, you know.
Once you get them all arranged just take one out at a time and hot glue the back to make them stay put.
We are not done yet. Do you have a stash of little odds and ends like this? I call it my box of tricks. I pulled out a few items that we could add onto this unnamed beautiful thing we are making.Look, a broken ring clip clip. a part to a knob and an upholstery tack!
Push the tack in with the clip to hold a pencil and glue on a clothes pin to hold all your cash. I used a tack to hold the note pad. Maybe it's a photo frame. You could attach a photo of a very happy up to date couple. I added a tassel too because I'm that kind of girl.
I'm sure this guy is the life of the party. Now you have a better way to use up your corks. If I only had a cute name. Corky Frame?
Make this Thing
Scrawled out by
The Nester
on
10/09/2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
59 comments:
Hi,
That is such a wonderful idea....and I have just the right frame and I drink enough wine to fill it!!
Corinne
I love the "box of tricks"! All the small words and designs on the cork make it look extra good. This is a project I will have to try.
That is so cute! I just left a bunch of corks sitting at a yardsale! I knew I should have bought them.
I have a vase full of these. Neat idea.
Fun project! I just bought a bag of corks at the Goodwill. Partly because I thought it would be fun to put some in one of my small apothecary jars in the kitchen. I have kind of a Tuscany theme going in there (well...TRYING to have one anyway).....I like this idea too and am going to try this. Thanks for the idea!
--Ali
Neat! I like the wine corks, but did not know what to do with them - never thought about a "cork board"
I am looking forward to trying out this project...It would be a great place to post the menu for a party!
I like the cute frame you used for your cork board. My uncle makes these all the time and gives them as gifts, I have yet to receive one - maybe I'll make a cute one like yours!!
Love the bag of tricks!!
I LOVE that whatchamacallit. Completely unique and unexpected.
That is such a cool idea for a cork board. Do you think it would work with a bigger frame (I'm thinkin' like BIG 2'x3' or something)...I'd have to figure out what to use as a backing to glue on the corks...hmmm. Anyhow, I love it.
I might just have to start drinking more fine wine JUST so I can make this "corky frame". I think that's a good name for it!
jazzy!!
YES< I have one that is about 18 inches by 24 inches!
What a great idea. Thanks.
This is so great! It would be really fun to make with corks from special bottles. I'll be linking to this.
you should call it "wine not" ~ It's a fabby idea!
cork board = art, something that is hard to achieve!
I think without the embellishments, it could be used as trivet on the table.
So cute! How about "pop-a-cork board"?
What a great idea!! You sure are creative- what a good way to use something that you normally would just throw away!
It would be great as a message board by the phone or in the office...excuse me while I search my house for corks! Thanks for a great idea!
Love the way you added a tassel to your thing.
Oh for sure on the cork vest! I can see the runways of Paris pimpin' those =] Heh heh
And I'm lovin' the cork thing!! I have a wine loving girlfriend (well quite a few actually) that would adore this! *mental note to make one*
How bout call it "Put a cork in it!"
Love the board. Love your site!
Wow, I love it. I don't know what you would call it either but it is really cute..and could be functionally.. a mini cork board.. I guess..
I love this idea!!! I'm going to make a few to stash in gift baskets at Christmas!
*Thanks for a new reason for an extra glass of wine in the evening ;)
ummmm, that looks tasty!! so I am new to this wonderful world of blog craftyness, I love your little corner here in blog land, keep up such great work.
I'll drink to that! Whimsical Wine Cork Thingee :)
Bella
Very cute idea - I'd better get drinkin'. ;)
Great idea! Looks great! I'm definitely gonna make one of those! xo Vanessa
I bought a cork pillow once, and dh made me take it back. Lol. It was completely uncomfortable, he said. Of course, but who else has a cork pillow?!
You are so darn clever! I can envision a large one of these in my kitchen now. As always, thanks for sharing. :)
How about a corkboard?
Hi!
What a wonderful idea - I love it!! I can really see this in my kitchen and I think I may have just the frame to try it. Now I just have to get drinkin' and we'll be all set! Just kidding, I think I'll check out ebay or etsy and see what I can find. Love this! Thanks for the fabulous idea.
Erin
I'm totally doin' this, this weekend and will make a few extra for Christmas presents. Corky frame works for me.
Cute.. Cute... Cute!! Now... to find some corks!!!
Lisa
Cents To Save
So fun! I got some corks from Ebay a couple weeks ago and can't decide what I want to do with them. (Took me three auctions to win them because someone was outbiddng me EVERY time! Gah!) This is a great idea!
I'll drink to that!
unfortunatley I am not a wine drinker...And I think poptops and plastic tea lids wouldnt have the same appeal.
Hey! I will ask my whino girlfriends to start collecting for me.
Smile. Life is good.
Cute! Ooh - I'm thinking hooks along the bottom for keys and leashes and stuff would be a nice touch, too!
As for a name, how about Corkinizer? OK - maybe not. Ha!
Thanks for sharing!
This is such a cute idea! I'll have to search for me some corks!
I was waiting for a tassel to show up! :)
What a great idea. I love it! Looks like something I could do for Christmas gift for my co-workers. Hmmm... better get shopping for frames!
Debbie in Florida
That would be a great entryway piece. You could write little reminders to everyone or yourself. I love the idea!
Southern Fried:
CORKINIZER!!!?
I love it!
I've seen very large ones like this that friends have made and also in expensive catalogs. How about putting a photo of a special time that you shared a bottle of wine with a friend on there?
Love this idea! I will have to try this! I have plenty of frames and lots of junk...that I will now call my "box of tricks". thx!
The corked frame looks so chicly awesome. Way better looking than a regular cork board.
Did you know if you say "cork" a lot of times in your brain it's one of those words that starts to mutate? Okay I'm just weird.
How are you always so clever. Even your box of tricks is smart--I'd have thrown stuff like that away. Now I know I'd be cork-brained if I did.
so cute! I might have to do this one!
You must save all corks from celebratory bottles of bubbly...anniversaries, weddings, birthdays, etc...and this is a wonderful way to show those mementos, and a beautiful way to "frame your history".
ADDITION: of course, you have to write the date, occasion, etc. on the cork for remembrance sake.
What a great idea!!! I like corks, but I've always thrown mine away because I had no idea what I could actually do with them. I'll have to start saving and crafting! Thanks for the inspiration.
It is corky! But oh so cute!
I have enjoyed reading all your post. And I do mean ALL. I sat a few months back one night when I couldn't sleep and read every single one of them. I got my fill!
Cute Idea! I'll have to start saving my corks!
Wow....but Corky frame? Hmmm... :)
Had such fun today, wonder what you're doing now - any choc. cake involved with that sissy of yours?
First have to admit to being a lurker for quite some time now~ love your blog! Came over through my sisters blog at Engraved Palms.
What a fabulous idea with the corks ~ I've had a bag of them that someone gave me to put in a bowl and now I will have to use them to create one of these.
Have a wonderfully blessed weekend.
Sandy
How do you sleep at night? Seriously. Do these thoughts swim around your head all night?! I cannot believe the amazingly great things you come up with. Thanks to you I've now purchased $12 worth of vintage corks. My husband will be thrilled, in a not-so-much kind of way. Although, maybe he'll be happy I'm not making another garland for the house...
Oh I see an awesome Christmas idea! Thanks for sharing.
Clever! Now, just need corks.
I tagged you!
Have A Happy Day!
Deborah @ Comfort Joy Designs
comfortjoydesigns.blogspot.com
comfortjoydesigns{at}gmail{dot}com
How fun..what a great idea...love it!
-Sandy toes
I have some corks and I'm going to make a similar project and I'm going to call it a cork board.
Love this! I can totally make one... lots of corks. And people actually buy corks on ebay? To think of all the money that I've thrown into the trash can!
I absolutely love these! I better start drinking more. Just kidding--a glass of red every night or every other is enough for me!
Post a Comment