Door on the Wall Take 2


Are you sick of seeing this room yet? I love lots of pillows on a sofa. It's completely impractical if you are sitting on it all day but they look so wonderful! And, sadly, this sofa doesn't get sat on all that often so I can pack the pillows in.


I got a few questions about the door on the wall yesterday so I thought I would show you a bigger view of it.


Months ago I told you how you could get one for free--and how I hung my door. Maybe you have an old door in your attic that could be used to fill an empty wall.


I just get out my trusty paints every now and again and repaint it. Nope. I don't even take it off the wall. I just wait until my man has left the house {that's the most important part} and then drape some old towels on the back of the sofa and paint. I usually mix a few colors together until I find something that looks right.


Don't forget to link up for Kimba's open house! This is my slacker excuse for an open house post. Kimba's nice, she'll forgive me.

Winner of L. Herbert Designs paintings: Holly of Homebody!

73 comments:

Shilo said...

I'm jealous of all the pillows on your couch! My husband has a two pillow per couch rule. I don't know why it matters, he usually sits on them and squishes them anyway. The nerve. :)

Amber Filkins said...

Oh my gosh, everything is so beautiful! The door, the feather garland, beaded garland, the china cabinet in the background, all of the lovelies on the side table. Seriously, love it all!!

Aubrey said...

Hey--hate me, butI like that door alot better blue. I really like that shade too. You seriously had enough craft paint to cover the whole thing? Wow. You did a good job. I think I still try too hard for perfection. Or even getting it to look right for ME when everyone else says it looks okay. I just don't believe them.

I've got start surprising my man by doing stuff like that, but I take so long to decide and then to finish--I'd still be working on whatever and screaming and swearing at the kids to leave me the bleep bleep alone when he got home. Then he would ban me from projects. Unless I'd already gotten mad at the project--then there'd be project genocide. And I'd have to become a hermit and quit blogging, so I couldn't see what everyone else is doing that DOESN'T include project genocide.

Lacy said...

Absolutely perfect again with the door Nester! Love it and enjoyed the tour de rental! Your a riot!

Inspired Kara said...

This color plus red beads equals amazing. Love it.

This Little Hen said...

So I have a beautiful hand carved door. and it is being taken out this weekend a new door installed. I really want to hang this door above my fireplace. I have searched high and low... I can't figure out how to do this without possibly causing damage from it falling.... any thoughts?

Kari said...

I am completely amazed at how you once again transformed a room using what you already have. Can you puhleeze fly to California and help me??? I am so totally inspired by your blog. My only question is: how do you hang the door on the wall?

Kari said...

You should also show us the little round table on the right... I'm sure you have a darling new arrangement on it that I need to see. :)

Mom in High Heels said...

I love the door blue. I'm on the hunt for one. A free one. What's that black thing on the side table? It's scoll-y and has a tassel hanging of it (of course). I'm intrigued.

Anonymous said...

I love the door! It looks great. And the feathers are just perfect.

Unknown said...

"Hubby away so i paint away"lol. So with you on that. Love the door idea, looks really good and the color looks awesome with the couch.

Sue said...

Your door on the wall looks great and the color is delicious. I'm a big fan of doors on the wall. We have two old doors over the beds in my parents guest house.
Wish I could help your readers out with how to hang them but I have no clue. The builders hung them for us when they were finishing up the house. It seems to me though that they used two strips of wood, one on the wall and another on the door.
Anyway, love your door.

Shell in your Pocket said...

Wow..That is SO SO GREAT! I love it...I have a window but a door...now that is creative stamped all over it! I love the garland with the berry beads..just simply wonderful!
-sandy toes

Kimba said...

That's it! I was tempted the last time you wrote about your door on the wall. But I resisted.

My hubby will have a cow but I WILL get a door to hang on my wall. I've got lots of big open walls and this is perfect.

(It was the garland that pushed me over the edge.) Most of my decorating is dictated by what I can do with it for Christmas.

K

Kimba said...

And, yes. I forgive you and still heart you. This post is far from lame.

K

The Nester said...

click on my old post and I tell you how to hang it. One way. it doesn't take a brain surgeon people! Obviously, I did it--there's no RIGHT way--just figure out a way to hang it and yippie--you have a door on the wall!

Decor To Adore said...

I too always wait "Until the man leaves" before starting a variety of projects. :)

edie said...

You never disappoint Mrs. Nester. And guess who happens to have a door just standing around in her basement as we blog? Yes me. So if I can possibly wrangle my strong 18 year old son to haul it up for me......I'm will completely plagiarize this project before the end of the week. You speak my love language!

Lady of the Mote said...

it is beautiful,those pillows are yummy!

Kathi Roach said...

Lovely!! It looked so nice before, and now it's got a completely different look and still looks beautiful! You've got talent, girl!!

Lamp Tramp said...

It's such a pretty room, love those colors. Your door is soo dreamy in that shade!

southerninspiration said...

You know they made a movie about a door IN the wall, right? I bet you might could score a deal with a movie about a door ON THE WALL!! ;)
Looks fabulous!
Suzanne

Julie @ Sweet Chaos said...

I love love LOVE that paint color! And, I love that garland, too. Care to share where you found such a cool "natural" looking garland? Also, aren't those the chairs from your living room? Can we see the new living room again? ;)

Chris said...

Not only do I love that door, but I LOVE that color. Beautiful.

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Love the door.

Congrats to Holly, one of the nicest bloggers I know! -Julia :-)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Looks very smart, Nester! I really like the blue you've got it painted and how it picks up the pillow colors. You do good work, girl!

xo,

Sheila

TupeloLove said...

I love that door. I loved the color you painted it before, but now seeing it in the pretty blue color, I love it even more! I need to find an old door, too. Great job!

Holly said...

Wait a minute! What? I won something? I won something! Yippee!
Thanks, Julia, for your sweet congrats!
I have 3 doors in my basement waiting to be transformed...one's going to be a headboard.

lisa@littlesliceoflife said...

Love the door. But do I spy a wooden, scroll-y, Christmas tree from Hobby Lobby sitting by your lamp?! I am so jealous!! I waited until their Christmas stuff went on sale and when I got there the only one left was broken. :-( Sometims it just doesn't pay to be frugal.

Stacey said...

Love the blue!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Where did you get the wall saying hanging on your "wall door?" I love it! Thank you for sharing your passion!

Unknown said...

I love the blue, it almost looks a little Robins Egg. I also love your hutch. I've been looking for one to refinish. No luck yet.

Melissa Martin said...

I just love that color!

I used our old basement door (almost 100 years old!) as a new headboard for our bed. Everyone loves it!

Tracy Watier said...

Love the new color on your door - and the door idea in general. I've hung doors, windows, shutters, you name it, over the years. They're usually cheap, super versatile and always look great. Also love that you waited "until my man has left the house" to paint it! I do that too! Because he'll ask me a million questions (why are you doing that? what's wrong with it the way it is? are you really going to put that THERE? where did THAT come from?), think that I'm totally wasting time (and money, even if it's only $2 worth of paint!) and have further proof that I'm a nut (yeah, mister. a nut for cheap, fun, creative decorating. you are SO LUCKY you married me!) Plus, if I sneak in a change while he's not looking, it will likely be days, even weeks before he notices and then, he'll wonder if it wasn't always blue/in the corner/ on that table to begin with! Don't get me wrong though, I really do get carte blanche around here and he tells me quite often that he loves our home - no matter what version he's looking at! Thanks for your fun posts!

ness said...

Great Idea! I have 2 old doors with original glass knobs just sitting in my basement! I knew there would be something to do with them, I just didn't quite know what!

Holly said...

I LOVE the Noel in your tablescape!!! I need it!!! LOL

and no, your black star doesn't look satanic... ! Have you SEEN all of the black ornaments out and about this year? I'm thinking of doing a black/gold/crystal tree next year with black feather boas...

Still Learning said...

I finally got my tree up!! Hurray. I wanted so badly to post in your garland party. Maybe next year.
Love the door.
I posted my gorgeous tree over at my blog.

Miss G said...

Oh Nester, I just want a couch right now period, to pile pillows on or no. We will find one, we will, we will . . .

The door looks great! I'm with another reader . . . did you paint the whole door with craft paint? I'm impressed! It seems like it would take a lot.

I love your explanation of how to get a door for free. We are looking for a door to make a dining room table out of. I may have to try that one.

Kelly

Cindy said...

I LOVE this room...everything about it!!!!

The Nester said...

Yep, I used craft paint.

I mixed a few colors together, ran out of the first batch I made and had to blend the second batch in on the other half of the door and you can't even tell. Can you?

Montee said...

I always paint whenever my husband leaves for his job. He comes home to a new house all of the time. I love pillows too. The men of the house are always taking them off the sofa in the den, but that's okay. They cannot understand why I want all of these pillows. Love your blog! Have a Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

my husband went to home depot on his lunch break and found a door damaged on one side. he offered some guy in an orange apron five bucks for it and he said, "done deal." my response to husband? "you make all my dreams come true." strange things are happening to me ever since i found the nesting place. and i think i like it. i can hardly wait to fill out the giant wall above my couch with a beautiful door. thank you so much for the idea, nester! LOVE your blog!!!

Girly Stuff said...

I love the blue!

Anonymous said...

Can you give out directions on how your husband anchored it to the wall......If I have a set and can give it to mine then mine may get done, rather than waiting to see what he can think up.....Thanx

The Nester said...

Dear annon,
PLEASE read my post that I linked to within this post telling of how I originally did the door!!!!! It will tell you all my secret discoveries of the patented way that only I can hang doors.

Hmm, wonder if you could do it yourself?

Unknown said...

That blue door honestly made my jaw drop. So pretty, so inspiring!

Lulu and Co. said...

I am all about doors. I Love your door on the wall and great color too. :o) I have a couple of doors that i use in my home and am looking for more! too fun

Unknown said...

The door on the wall is AMAZING! I love it. I love the color of it and the garland you put on it! Your Christmas decorations are amazing!

Katy said...

Great color option w/ out painting a wall! Great great idea girl!! You amaze me with your decorating options that you throw at us.

Desiree said...

Oh my gosh I love this!!

Williams Arena said...

I bought 2 old doors at a flea market a couple of years ago. I wanted my husband to make a headboard out of them. He didn't and the doors were stored in the workshop.

This summer you had a post about using doors as art and I got to thinking about a creative way to use the doors...I painted one of them, added hooks and hung it in the boys' bathroom. Thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Have you ever seen the headboard that Debbie Travis (Facelift) made out of an old door? It is FANTASTIC! I have the book-I'll scan it for you if you'd like!

Anonymous said...

I love the door on the wall! The colors look great. Doors are great for so many things! I went somewhere once that had all the tables and benches made out of doors! It was so cool!
Another thing I like is when old porch doors are used in gardens!

Kayla said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who waits till the husband is gone to change up the decor.

Goldilocks said...

I love your room- I've been looking for a cozy new couch, were did you get yours.

Mimi Sue said...

You know the secret. When the hubby leaves the house then you can do your thing. I learned this relatively late in life. Mimi

Dena said...

Storing your paint upside down, so you can see the colors...genious - did I spell that right, genious? It's obvious why I haven't thought of doing that.
love it!

Nicole Bateman | thepixelboutique.com said...

I'm so happy to learn that I'm not the only sneaky wife who waits to start a "home improvement" project AFTER DH leaves the house. I love that door!

Sara said...

Thank you Thank you. The bigger picture of the door on the wall has given me inspiration. I have some very large open wall...and well the budget isn't going to make room for any expensive art work anytime soon. This door is PERFECT!!! Thank you!

Suzann said...

I love pillows too. Maybe someday...

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Does everything you touch always look like magic? Seriously - I'm not sure I could pull it off. Even with all the pep talk. YOu're just amazing.

Jeanne Oliver said...

That is the coolest idea!!! Love it.

Judy @ In His Grip said...

I totally get the part about the man being out of the house. My guy cannot stand for me to do projects without clearing the room, putting down drop cloths, etc. We had our first project experience just a couple of weeks aftre we got married when I was painting something in the middle of our living room with just a piece of newpaper under it.

Anonymous said...

I'm in love. I have a door in my attic I got on the side of the street years ago and have been wanting to do this very thing (Or make a headboard) but have yet to do it! We're getting ready to move this year so I'll have to do it in my new place!

Brittany said...

I love that you like lots of pillows on couches. I do too and am often criticized for it. But, I still pile 'em on!

Our Complete Family said...

Oh my gosh! AMAZING! I am in love with your door above the couch idea girly!!!
Turned out great~ what a cute fun color!
Merry December, Les

Jill said...

I'm so hanging a door on my wall!! :)

Brilliant.

Kim -today's creative blog said...

love that door!

Glitter & Bliss said...

I love your door idea. Wow!! My wheels are turning. I have an old dutch door in the attic. Hummmmm...... Merry Christmas!!!

AR said...

oh that is so cool! might have to do that in the study when we do our addition! love!

chicago_mom said...

I tried to semi-copy this after seeing your first door-hanging. My friend had two old doors, so I painted one red and the other one has not been played with yet. I wanted to hang the red one over my couch, but it is about 100 years old and weighs about 150 lbs so it would take so many bolts! I just leaned it up against the wall with a wreath. Here's my blog link if you want to see it:

http://tinyurl.com/9pb9ao

If you feel like it, you can tell me what to do with the unpainted one. It's heavy too!

Amber B. said...

Random question--but where did you get your sofa? We're in the market for a new one, and I'm having the hardest time! Can't decide what I like, what's practical with kids, etc. I like your khaki one, though!

marie said...

I love the idea to put the door under the bar. I just picked up three solid wood doors with the iron door knobs. 5 panels. So what do you do with the door knob hole? I guess it would just add more character, right? I actually was thinking of hanging it sideways for a head board in a guest room - for a queen bed.