Tour De Rental: Christmas Version


Can we ever see enough Christmas Decorations? I think not.



The delightfully personable and ever funny BooMama and the uber creative and perfectly charming Julia from Hooked on Houses are both hosting Christmas home tours and there's not a chance that I would miss them. {edited: Rhoda is hosting one as well--you must see her home!} Cause I get to talk about house stuff. And I love talking about house stuff. Instead of trying to drive through neighborhoods really slow and look in the windows of the houses with their lights on, you can be nosy in the privacy of your own home. Genius.


If you are new here, this is the part where I link to myself over and over again in an effort to get you to fall in love with me and never leave. If you are a faithful reader, thanks for putting up with me and my big self.


I live in a house with three boys and a manly husband who comes home from work dirty every day. I have a little room that is mine all mine and I'd love to show you how I winterized it on the cheap.

I just added some ribbon to my garland to finish it off. Want to see how I made mine?


Then we had a garland party. Want to see how over 150 different women made theirs?

Killing 3 birds with one post: Here's my entry for THAT Family's tree party!

Currently, we are renting a house. The family room is small so this year, we let the garland decorate it, and put the tree upstairs in the playroom. My boys BEG for colored lights every year and usually I pretend like I can't find them until after the tree is decorated. I'm not all mean. I always let them string up the colored lights in their room.


But not this year. I bought extra colored lights and piled on a few inexpensive plastic ornaments and bright colorful ribbon. My boys squealed with delight, jumped up and down and hugged me. I think we'll be using colored lights from now on.


Does the black star look satanic? I like it. If you still haven't had enough of me, I'll be back tomorrow for Kimba's Holiday Open House.

If you still need more....

Last year's Christmas tour with BooMama
My Philosophy of decorating
Best of the Nest: Fun, well read posts
All this talk make you hungry? How about a virtual cookie exchange at Cottage Magpie?

114 comments:

emily freeman said...

Love the party hat christmas tree. what a great mom you are!

Anonymous said...

Lovely. Love the welcome sign!!!!

philben5 said...

I soooo enjoy your sight and your great ideas... Can't wait for tomorrow!!
Blessings
Roxanne

Lisa said...

I love the bright ribbons on the tree! Great way to change up the traditional colors! You are always wonderfully unpredictable!

Lora said...

Your rented spot looks so cozy and welcoming! And hearing your children's response to the colorful tree was precious!

Angela @ Cottage Magpie said...

You're so funny! I love all of your posts and your big (big sense of humor, that is) self. And I did the same thing with the colored lights! I usually "misplace" them, but this year I gave in and the boys (that includes DH, btw) were so happy. Maybe I'll let them do that every year. In the family room. MY tree is in the living room. It's silver, gold and white.

Meanwhile, if you have time and a cookie recipe on hand, I'm doing a virtual exchange. Hope you can check it out! :-)

~Angela :-)

Anonymous said...

Nester, everything you do looks angelic - come on! Only you could pull off a black star - love it! Unless of course you didn't save me any of that delicious food from Friday nite that I keep hearing about.....:]

ko said...

love the black star. In fact we have the same armoire....i might have to copy!

Tammy said...

Everything is SO pretty and I just love your colorful tree....although, mine has only white lights too! ;-)

angela | the painted house said...

Your boys' tree is so happy. You know, I was thinking this month for the first time ever "why am I such a colored light hater?" I decided that I am going to rock the colored lights next year--either inside or out.

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

It all looks beautiful, but I especially love that colorful tree. It's just so happy looking! My kids have a "colorful tree" upstairs in the playroom with all their ornaments on it (think Harry Potter and Hello Kitty), but it's not nearly as charming as this.

Thanks for joining my blog party and showing us more of your pretties! -Julia :-)

Anonymous said...

I love your blog and all of your wonderful ideas for homemaking. Is the top photo a bifold door? Please give a fuller photo. I love its holiday version! Kris in Iowa

jennwa said...

Everything is so pretty. I love the tree too.

Merry Christmas!!!!

The Nester said...

Kris, go to the top of my blog above my header where it says Best of the nest and click on the Painted door post. It's that same door--I just painted it a new color. Yes, a bifold door from homedepot or somewhere!

Hopechest Bride said...

Love it all Nester. And nope, that star looks fine to me. Beautiful.
Lisa

Domestic Goddess..Diva sometimes said...

Everything looks pretty as always! ;) Thank you for the tour!

Anonymous said...

Love the long colorful ribbons on the tree!
Pamela from NE Ohio

Jackie said...

Wow, have you ever inspired me! I'll definitely be back to visit you...anybody that can make a black star look Christmasey has some serious talent. :)

Merry Christmas!

Musings of a Housewife said...

I just love your photography. So creative. Tell me, how do you get your lighting to be so right? I'm assuming you don't use flash.

Anyway, your house is gorgeous, of course. I wanted to participate in the garland party, but I never got around to making my garland. So don't look too close at my mantle if you make it over to my home tour! :-)

Anonymous said...

love it all. all the color looks great!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, I just love it all, my favorite part would be the sea shells :-) Thanks for having us in your home, this is just too much fun!

Mimi Sue said...

Great Tree. Those are the things your kids will remember. Mimi

kari and kijsa said...

Merry Christmas to you as well!! Love the Welcome sign!
blessings,
kari & kijsa

Leslie Ruth Petree said...

Hooray for colored lights! My husband and I have been having a Great Debate over this very topic. I have such sweet memories as a kid of colored lights and still love them to this day...Sounds like your boys will too :)

Kristen said...

You Rock.

In more than {10} ways!

I love the fun streamers on your tree. My kids would love them too!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the tour!! Love your home!

I can see why your boys love that oh so fun tree!!

blessings
mary

Anonymous said...

Everything looks so stylish. Wonderful.

Mom in High Heels said...

Oh Nester! You make me squeal with delight. It makes dh wonder what I'm looking at. ;) I love your tree. I'm sure your boys love it.

Cyndi said...

What a cool tree! I gave up the "clear lights" battle year ago, and this year my children talked me into tinsel icicles on the tree! What next??

Anonymous said...

I love the tree! The colors would look great in my house. I might have to try some of the ribbon next year! As always, you have great ideas! Thanks for sharing them with all of us!
Merry Christmas!
-Kim

Heathahlee said...

Okay, I had to laugh out loud at the satanic star thing. It's ALL beautiful! As usual.

Jennifer P. said...

those ribbons cascading down the tree would SOOO work at my house! I'm going to have to add that next year for sure!

I never thought I'd hear the word "satanic" in a Chirstmas post---ha ;)!

Raquel said...

as usual everything is beautiful! i wish i could see things and put them together the way you do in such a pretty way!

Dena said...

The tree is so colorful and festiv. I love it!

Lady of the Mote said...

wonderful and festive!

Kasey said...

I love all of the ribbons on the tree. So fun.

Shell in your Pocket said...

Very very pretty!! I love how you used all the ribbon!
-sandy toes

Christi said...

LOVE that tree in the playroom!

Karol said...

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome. Love the tree, too.

Karol :0)

Heather said...

What a great idea for a playroom tree!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hey Nester! I've got an impromptu Christmas tour party going on at my blog too, so I hope you'll come by & add your link as well as all your readers too! Merry Christmas!

Anne said...

I think it's great that your tree is inspired by your sons' love of color:). It all looks great!

Shannon said...

Love the colorful tree!

Kristi~The Slipcover Girl said...

I, too, let my kids decorate the tree this year. I had no part in it. It's so cute with handmade paper chains and all! Not one of my ornaments are on it...although we still have white lights. They haven't asked for the color lights yet!

Melinda said...

You outdo yourself, Nester! And I HEART the black star!

Erin said...

All so lovely, you are very gifted in this area. The kid's tree is fabulous too!

Lina said...

Love that cool and elegant black star!

3CHEERS4MOM said...

WOW! Everything looks just beautiful; I love the tin star and all of the ribbons in the garland.
-Cheers, Amy

Becky said...

Love your tree with the garlands! What a fab idea!

carrie said...

I found your blog last week and read the whole thing. You have such great ideas! I do have one question...where do I find those ring clip things you use so often? Thanks!

Melissa Martin said...

I'm all about the colored lights but it seems that all of mine burned out this year so now we have white lights on our tree.

Everything look beautiful!

Southern Charm said...

It's beautiful. I was thinking about having a still not decorated party over at my blog. Ha ha. We've finaly gotten around to hanging ornaments last night. Which my 2 year old promptly removed & hid in his playroom. I need a Christmas decorating intervention!! Hey, you could be like Oprah & Nate & suprise readers & "do a room". Pick ME!!

Have a great day!
Jenn

Lizzy Bee said...

Hi! I am a young mom of two boys and absolutely LOVE your blog. It totally inspires me! Thank you!

Frugal Finds said...

I love the ribbons!!

Lana said...

As my 2 year old would say, "Whoa Baby!" :)

Great ideas!

Pam @ Frippery said...

Love the colors, love your style. 'Nuff said. Thanks for sharing, Pam

Melodie Norman Haas said...

Unique and beautiful! Thanks for sharing :)

Anonymous said...

The ribbons on the tree are beautiful - thanks for having me over! Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

The tree looks so fun and festive! My daughter has always loved colored lights so we compromise - we have white lights outside and colored lights on the tree.

Manuela

Jenni said...

The black star would only look satanic if it was displayed upside-down. So you're safe there.

Love your style...wouldn't last five seconds in my house, but I love it from afar! LOL!

Jenni
http://onething.beautifulheritage.com/

a Knitting Junkie! said...

I don't think the black star looks satanic at all...just very country. Actually, that decoration and the welcome signs are my favorites.
It's all absolutely gorgeous though!
Hugs...
Anita, the Knitting Junkie!

Julieann said...

Your Garland tree is just gorgeous!!

Julieann

becky said...

Gorgeous -- I love all of your ideas!

Happy Holidays!

Anonymous said...

Always a delight!! Love your talents! Blessings, Terri

{darlene} said...

you are too much :)

Anonymous said...

Everything looks so fabu!

Jill said...

I love you and your big self. Keep 'em coming! :)

Kelli said...

LOVE the colored tree!!

Kimba said...

Your home is gorgeous. I especially LOVE your tree! Next year I am going to have to get more crafty with mine.

Mary @ Giving Up On Perfect said...

I'm not sure what I'm more impressed with - your fancy decorations or your fancy photography! I love it all! And I love the colorful tree most of all - what a good mom. :)

Kristen said...

Colored lights--I can remember how my brother and I begged for them (and candy canes) one year. But Mom and Dad put white lights on as usual. When we woke up on Christmas morning, Santa had come and put colored lights and candy canes all over the tree! Little did we know (you know, still believing in Santa and all) that our parents had stayed up all night carefully removing every ornament, unstringing the white lights, restringing the colored ones, re-ornamenting and hanging candy canes.

I think of the colored lights year every time I see a Christmas tree. What a great memory for your boys--their very own year of colored lights.

Unknown said...

I just love your house! that tree with all the colored ribbon is just beautiful! Thanks for having us! (oh and that garland is beautiful too!)

Maria said...

"...where you can be nosy in the privacy of your own house. Genius." I nearly spit soda onto the computer screen! hehehe.
You've clearly transformed the rental into a HOME. I always enjoy the glimpses you share with us. Always beautiful. And the star? Love it. But then again I am partial to stars myself...Merry Christmas!

Carrie said...

beautiful, colored lights and all!!! ;)

Anonymous said...

Love that colored tree!! It is so festive and fun! (And I'm not all that colored light inclined either) LOVE IT! Merry Christmas!

Jill said...

I just love your style. I want to come through your home and do some shopping. :)

Thanks for sharing your home with us!

Merry Christmas!

Carey-Life in the Carpool Lane said...

Beautiful house...it looks so warm and cozy. I love the streamers on the tree.
Thanks for having me...
Happy holidays!

LindaSue said...

Your home(rental or not) is lovely. I'm just amazed by the elaborate garland - you put more work into that than I do in my whole decor (well that isn't a good way to get y'all to visit my blog is it?) everything is lovely - thanks for sharing with us and Merry Christmas

Keetha Broyles said...

So - - - do you live in Florida??? Or did you just randomly get the idea to use real starfish as stars in your Christmas decor???? Very cool idea.

Merry Christmas.

Meg said...

I visit your blog often!
Thanks for letting my snoop around your home
Merry Christmas

KarenB said...

I think the tree is Fabulous!

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Well, colored lights it is!! Love the fanciful streamers and FUN of the tree!

Jen @ RamblingRenovators said...

Oh, I love your garlands, especially the feathers! So unique and pretty!! Thanks for the tour.

sandra/tx said...

I love Christmas decorating that's all about whimsy. Great job!

Anonymous said...

I love the curtains by the tree!

Aspiemom said...

What beautiful ideas and creations you have! I checked out how you made your garland - it is just beautiful! You have much talent.

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Great decorating, thanks so much for the tour.:)

Lidy

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing!

Best wishes to you and your family during this Holiday season.

Judah said...

gorgeous!! love it all

Marci @All Things Wonderful said...

Beautiful! I love the sign on your door.

Marci @All Things Wonderful said...

Beautiful! I love the sign on your door.

Ashley said...

Love the tree.

Unknown said...

I had to come visit you because your name has been mentioned several times during my rounds today. Now I see why. Your decorations are beautiful and so festive (and p.s. my hubs is the ONE begging for the colored lights!)

Merry Christmas!

Amber said...

I, too, have 3 boys and a manly husband who come home dirty every day!! KINDRED SPIRIT!

Love that you have a girly room...I'm drooling!

Your tree is fabulous and very boy friendly...love that!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your home and decorations.

Merry Christmas to you and yours from Northern Ireland.

Shana said...

Oh my goodness - I just love the kids room Christmas tree. The overabundance of ribbon is just too fun and cutesy. We don't have kids yet, but when we do I'll certainly have to borrow this tree idea. Until then, I'm also sticking to the white lites. :)

Colleen - Mommy Always Wins said...

I'm ♥in all of these Christmas decor posts! I need all the help I can get! ;-)

Anonymous said...

The star is fine. I wouldn't even have thought about it being satanic. You decorate beautifully. :)

Jessica said...

I love all your decorations.. they are Fabulous!!!! You have a lovely style!

Merry Christmas!

Suzi K said...

Goregeous truly! And no the star doesn't look satanic at all...lol!

Shelley said...

Thanks for inviting me over, I enjoyed my visit!

I think I'm hooked (I think I clicked all the links) and I did fall in love. I'll be back. I've added you to my Reader!

Melissa Stover said...

the colored ribbons are my favorite!

the pineapple door said...

Looks like you got new drapery fabric. Your house is always so pretty!

Joy said...

Love the ribbon- what a very festive touch!

The Pennington Point said...

Ooohhh....I love the beachy decorations! Everything looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing. Lisa~

Robin @ The Rendered Nest said...

As always, you have such wonderful ideas. Thanks for the inspiration! Bless you.

Mrs. Darling said...

IO have never in my life seen a christmas tree decorated like that. LOL I have to figure out if I like it.

Suzann said...

I so love that black star!!!

Beth at Aunties said...

I really L♥ved the welcome sign. Your tree was so festive!
We had to downsize our Christmas tree and when we went shopping I voted for white prelit lights and my hubby and grandchildren all wanted colored. Now we have the best of both worlds and have white and colored depending on whose hands the remote is in:-)
Your home truly is lovely!

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Can't remember if I responded...but I love that itty bitty tree in the itty bitty apothecary jar! And the ribbons are so FUN!! Maybe someday I'll let my son put colored lights on the big tree...gasp.

The Runyans said...

love your playroom tree!!

it's so much fun!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I just found YOU! With such a wonderful spirit, you just jumped right out of the post toward me.
I LOVE your tree with all the ribbons!!
Be back soon.
Marcy @hellosunshine.typepad

phillips phamily said...

YOU ARE...Amazing! I'm taking notes on the kids' tree. We've got to make ours more child-like! Love it! And have a wonderful Christmas!

Kelly @ The Barefoot Mama said...

LOL about the colored lights! I'm of the same mind. ;o)

Your tree looks lovely! Ribbons were made for a lot of things, but they're definitely kindred friends of trees. I love that look.