Use What You Have {or can get at a thrift store}

Did you see this post at the Inspired Room? I thought it was brilliant and I had red bags on the brain until I found a red and white striped one for $1.99 at a thrift store.


I just stuffed it with leftover garland and popped in some pine cones, leaves and feathers.


A great filler for that room that is lacking in the festive feel or, like the original idea, it looks great on the porch. Don't have a Christmasy bag? Why not wrap up a cardboard box with some pretty toile Christmas paper, tie a bow around it and stuff it with garland? Or, you could dig out your old picnic basket and fill it with garlandy things.


Need a break from shopping for other people? Why not buy yourself a pretty tassel?

23 comments:

Holly said...

Oh, no! I read this stuff and then I feel like I must jump up and run to the thrift store. Again. I was just there this morning. But I didn't know I was looking for a red bag.

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

That's a great find from a thrift store! I'm ready to settle down now and enjoy the next week without the hustle & bustle! I'm hosting a Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange on my blog, please come participate & spread the word. Thanks!

Swestie said...

LOVE this idea! Will copy it soon!! - www.thingsthatinspire.com

Anonymous said...

LOVELY.VERY INSPIRING...ANN

Kristen said...

I love this idea. Especially since MOST of my house came from a thrift/garage sale. I thought about doing something similar in an old basket.

Lulu and Co. said...

I saw this same post on inspired room and loved it. Yours is great! Now I'm thinking "do I have a red bag"?
Love visiting your post for your creative genius!

Stephanie said...

I think you're starting a red bag trend. It could get really really big. Love it!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Really cute and clever!

Anonymous said...

It looks great and it's easy!! Wonderful!

Heathahlee said...

You are not helping my Thrift Store addiction. Except I have to find a new favorite one. Mine closed a couple of months ago when their lease was up. Sadness.

michele said...

What a fun red bag idea... love your photos too. Michele Jansen

Anonymous said...

You completely amaze me. That bag is going to look great no matter what you put in it. You know what is going to happen now. Each time I walk into a store I am going to be looking for a red bag...

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Since I can't locate my wreathe anywhere, off to stuff a red bag and fill my empty spot in my laundry room - gasp. Yes, it stinks to have people enter our home through our laundry room, but it will now be ready and waiting to greet guests.

Jessica said...

I love your tassels!!!!!Gorg!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea. How about a cute, shiny pink bag filled with tulips and hyacinths for spring? By the way, I am 99% sure that red and white striped bag was a freebie MaryKay gave to customers years ago. I used mine until it fell apart.

Aubrey said...

I saw that and wanted to do it, too, but with a sack I made out of burlap sewn with chunky red hand stitches on the sides--in my imagination of course, because I couldn't stop blogging to go and do it and I have had my fill of stinking Wal-Mart this month.

I shouldn't even admit that I've gone there SEVERAL times. And now I don't know what Wal-mart has to do with getting sewing supplies, since I have better luck going to real fabric stores and getting help from people who actually know how to SEW (unlike W-mart)

The Chubby Dove said...

Thanks for the cute idea, Nester. I must try! hee hee

This project will help me stay in a "Christmas-y" mood since
it is 76 here today in Jacksonville, FL.

This is a shout out to anyone who can send some snowflakes my way....

Jessica

kari and kijsa said...

Great idea...love the red and white!

Just wanted to stop by and wish you a very, very, Merry Christmas!

blessings, kari & kijsa

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I love that striped bag! Major cuteness! And the tassel just got here safe and sound. Haven't had a chance to open it, but I know I'm going to oooooooh and ahhhhh and want to keep it for myself. LOL!

XO,

Sheila

Susie Q said...

I have a straw bag that I've used for a purse but come spring, that is a new wreath alternative!

Wendy said...

oh, oh!! I actually have a red bag!! Woo-hoo! Finally an idea I can do immediately!! Ta Ta!

honeysuckle said...

I love the red bag idea. Now, where did I put that bag I have? It would be great for our guestroom next week. Thanks for sharing.

Blogger said...

Hi Nester,

I love that idea...and I love Melissa's site, too.

You don't know this...but you really were a great inspiration in my life this year. I was in such a bad funk...and I started reading your blog and seeing your beautiful (and FUN!) home...and well, it was the catalyst for me to emerge from where I was at...and I can never thank you enough for that.

Please never stop sharing your creativity and humor with your readers, you are making a difference in people's lives and homes.

Merry Christmas, dear Nester!!!

xoxo
Bella