To Flash or Not to Flash

Darcy made a new button for your nesting pleasure. Click here for the code. I really like it and I've heard tell that some people aren't crazy about blinking/flashing/rotating buttons like this one.





I'm taking kind of an informal survey in the comment section--tell me your thoughts. How do you feel about flashing buttons on a blog?

125 comments:

Darlene said...

They don't bother me at all...I like the flashing ones.

V and Co. said...

i like them a lot and i wish i new how to make one of my own...maybe i'll bother this girl that made this cute one for you.

Carrie @carrieloves said...

Slow flashing is fine, but the fast ones are kind of distracting/annoying. I love your blog... see you at BlissDom.

kath@retromantic antiques said...

I hate the flashing buttons. They make me want to leave the blog. I guess I go to blogs to leave the crazy activities of life and TV. kath

Lindy said...

Wow, the title of your post caught me. I was like, "well, Mardi Gras is coming up, but that doesn't make sense for Nester!" I like slow flashing buttons. I like both your buttons. I could go either way with it. They are both beautiful!

emily freeman said...

Hate to be the killjoy, but the flashing buttons drive me batty. Its like I'm trying to read my book and my 2 year old is playing with a flashlight in the corner. Stop that blinking, kid! Or its like that kid in class who always raises his hand high and waves his fingers even after he was just called on. And he says under his breath "pickme!pickme!pickme!" That's what that button is. It chants "pick me!" over and over and even if you do, it keeps saying it every time you go to the blog. And my rebel says "I will absolutely not pick you. I will ignore you with every fiber that is in me, that's what I will do."

So yeah. I don't like the blinks.

Halfpint said...

Not a fan of the flashing button at all. Emily summed up my thoughts perfectly, so I won't repeat.

martha said...

I prefer non-flashing.

Tiffany said...

I like flashing. It also makes me giggle to say a phrase like "I like flashing". tee hee :)

Kathleen W. said...

Although your button is darling, to be honest, I don't like flashing buttons at all. They are distracting.

Sara said...

Not to Flash! Thanks for the option!

Sonnie said...

I vote for no flashing. I find them distracting and a little irritating.
Love, love, love your blog!

Anne said...

Flashing is fun! I mean...flashing buttons are fun. :)

Vanessa Greenway said...

The flashing one is always cute but the other one you can get a better message. Have a great day!

Erika said...

Some of them I don't like because they can be so obnoxious, but yours isn't (to me at least), so I like yours. Heck I had to even go check my blog to see if the button I have actually flashed because it has such a low key "blinkie" thing that I forgot... (Isn't the point of blogging so that people can understand your thinking?? I think I'm failing miserably in that regard!)

Maybe you could keep both options available, because the new one is really cute, too!

Becky in East Texas said...

Not so much...but love, love, love your blog.

Lisa said...

FLASH SISTER, FLASH!!! HUGS FROM MAINE. http://sophie4me.blogspot.com/

Jodi Nelson said...

No like the flashy flashy. ;o)

Lesley said...

I think it's alright....It doesn't really bother me ...I would prefer the flashing though over the non flashing....

Sweet Child Kisses said...

Love the flashing one!

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Hey, Nester! Well, Darcy made the most incredible slow flashing blinkie button for me, so I say I like flashing! But if I were you, I'd put them both up and just let people choose what button they like! They both have great sayings :), and I may just have to change my Nester button to a new one now!!
Stacey

Anonymous said...

I love, love, LOVE the flash!!! I will never ever part with my flashy Nester button. Not only do I love your tag line, but it is sooo fashion flashy. I wish I had one to wear on my shirt, really! Can she come up with one of those?

Jenny@ L.O.T.s of Love said...

Flashing is fine with me. I have your button and it is not obnoxious! You should try to call attention to yourself!

Trixi said...

I kind of like the flashing.

Luke Holzmann said...

I read from my RSS reader, so most of the time I don't encounter flashing buttons.

Changing icons are fine (slow, methodical, interesting, artistic...). They have their place, but I tend to avoid them.

Flashy (spastic, "attention grabbing") are not. They are distracting and annoying, and tend to cheapen the look of a blog.

~Luke

Kathy said...

I like both. I have some flashers (haha!) and some non-flashers on my blog and both are great. I've been TRYING so hard to make my own button for my blog - but so far to no avail. Guess I'm just not that computer saavy (sp?).

Kathy

Lauren said...

I just found your blog last week and am officially hooked! (It goes great with my morning coffee, btw!)
As for the buttons, either/or. The blinking ones don't bother me as long as they are 'tastefully' done and not too fast to read.

Unknown said...

Some flashing buttons are obnoxious, but not yours, it's not distracting at all, just cute. That said, I like the new one too.

Jessica said...

Don't like them

Anonymous said...

Distracting. Commercial-like.

Sherri said...

I'm a flasher...

Just Lisa said...

I'm fine with flashing buttons... I could do without music on blogs though. I always have my sound off, anyway!

Just Lisa said...

I'm fine with flashing buttons... I could do without music on blogs though. I always have my sound off, anyway!

Lisette said...

I like flashing..it catches the eyes ;)

Elizabeth said...

I love the new button, but I'm not a fan of the flash.

Christi @ Writing the Waves said...

Not so much into the flashing, but if it has to flash, the slow flash is much better than the fast flash.
Yours are very cute...even the flashing one!

Unknown said...

i prefer the flash...gives the blog a little panache, no?

Mrs. Limestone said...

Not crazy about them. If there is just one on the entire page, and it makes sense (rather than just flashing for flashing sake) then sure. Anything more than one flashing gives me a headache.

Jill said...

The flashing doesn't bother me. I actually think it pulls someone's attention to the button when it's flashing. I like the new one though...I wanna get my nest on. :)

Anonymous said...

I tried linking to the flash, but Wordpress won't allow it. I'd love the code to a static one so I can have you in my sidebar.

Funky Junk Interiors said...

No to flash. Now I have to rethink my slideshow flash on my blogs. LOL

Anonymous said...

Flashing buttons are cute, but being as OCD as I am, I catch myself stopping to read everything, and waiting to see what else might be coming...I like the new one, straight to the point!
~Misti

Elizabeth said...

As a person prone to migraines caused by flashing, I prefer non-flashing:)

Sandy said...

i don't really care, i'm easy to please :)

Heather said...

A NOY ING!

duchess said...

I kinda like the still one - sometimes my eyes just need a rest.

Heather said...

When it's flashing, I automatically get my attention drawn to it. However, I've read a lot of articles lately about seizure disorders and online graphics. So, after that- I think it may be a no no.

jaquelyn {mama thoughts} said...

Hmmm...I can't say I've really thought about it. As long as it flashes tastefully, not in a gaudy manner (like yours), I thinks it's fine. As long as it's pretty! =)

~ Lisa @ AbidingThere~ said...

I would prefer the non-flashing sort, but I like your flashing button because I live by the words: it doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful.

Robin said...

I don't mind the flashing, but since I have ADD, it is distracting sometimes....lol!

I did grab the "non-flashing" button for my blog, in case any of my 5 readers have ADD like me! :)

Robin
http://alabamaslackermama.blogspot.com/

Aubrey said...

Yours don't bug me because they're subtle and tasteful, like you. Of course.

Lulu and Co. said...

I like both, I think they both fun and catchy.
LuLu

Anonymous said...

Not a fan of the flashing button!

J.J. said...

I don't care for the flashers either. But hen again I don't like music on blogs either. Come to think of it I don't like sounds on any pages...hence I have my computer on mute all the time. Some of that extra stuff is not enticing, but destracting. I am not a kill joy, I just need to be focused and not distracted or scatterbrained.

I like the "get your nest on" verbage!!!!! Cute buttons either way!

pcb said...

Don't like flashing, but the very slow, inconspicuous ones don't bother me too much.

Like J, I DESPISE music on blogs. I always keep my computer muted because it just makes me crazy. The worst is when you see a video on a blog that you'd like to watch but yet their music is also happening. Too much trouble to scroll down and turn their player off...I just leave.

Sorry to vent so vehemently! :)

Cowgirl in the City said...

I perfer the non flashing ones, that way I can read everything on the button faster, and don't have to wait for the flash animation to finish the cycle.

Betsy said...

I tend to lean towards the non-flashy cleaner lines...think it fits your blog better.

Candy Graber said...

The flashing ones are fun, they don't bother me a bit. I like both!

Jennifer said...

no flash is my preference. :)

Anonymous said...

I find flashing very very very very distracting. If I am trapped on a page with flashing, I usually launch a Notepad document, make it small, and drag it over the offensive flashing spot!

Pretty Organizer said...

Not a fan. Remind me too much of the ones that flash on my emails or other sites... I guess they'd be great if you open a mortgage company and I need to refinance. But, hey, your button is so dang cute, and you know I'd follow you wherever you go flashy or not, rhinestone blingy hat or plain ole sweats... itsa no matta to me. Love you girl.

Kasey said...

Flashing is just fine.

Mary-Catherine said...

They don't bother me! :)

Magic Brush said...

I'm a flasher... I had no idea it would be offensive to others. Bummer dude. Now what???? Do I remove my flashing? Let me know if you get an actual tally going on the opinions!

Ashley said...

I'm not vehemently opposed to flashing buttons but I prefer the non-flashing versions.

Headmeister said...

Kinda ditto Emily, but your flashing one isn't THAT bad! Good to have an alternative though :) (and I'll be putting one up on my soon to be new blog... if I ever finish it...ugh!). PS - thanks for the comment; I'm going to see if I can find pics of that room and send them your way. That room was too bizarre and fun not to share...lol.

SoBella Creations said...

I like either. The flashing doesn't bother me. I'm one of those people that read with the tv on.

Amber B. said...

I don't really have a strong opinion about the flashing buttons, but "get your nest on" is absolutely hilarious. Love it!!

Sibi said...

Hi Nester!

I prefer the non-blinking button. I think she has better manners than the blinkie...:)

I LOVE your blog and your hilarious personality. I am praying that I can attend Blissdom and hear all of you wonderful ladies talk about the blogging world!!

You are a hoot.

Melissa said...

I usually hate blinking buttons, especially ones that blink too fast. I dislike them _almost_ as much as automatic music on blogs or websites. If I have to look at a blinking button, though, I'd want it to be yours. Yours doesn't irritate me too much. I like the new button, but I miss seeing your slogan, so I'm not sure how you reconcile that.

Kristi~The Slipcover Girl said...

i like both..."get your nest on" sounds like something Andy from The Office would say...just sayin'

Mommy said...

Not a fan of blinking buttons. Honestly, they drive me crazy. Kind of like music that begins unexpectedly when you enter a blog. But you didn't ask for all that now did you? Can't wait to see you on the 8th! Do you want blackberries in your teeth or an extra side of bacon this time? Ha!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Man...only your sister could get away with that....I actually had to go back and check what she was talking about because this "flashing one" is so extremely slow, it's barely even noticeable...honestly..had to sit and stare at it before I noticed it was flashing.

Anonymous said...

LOVE THEM!!!!!

edie said...

Not a big fan of the flashing. It reminds me a bad carnival....or something. But I would love and visit you blog if the whole thing flashed. So maybe buttons aren't all that crucial.

Karol said...

I like them both.

Karol :0)

Unknown said...

no flashy!

Melanie said...

Either one.
Melanie@Bella~Mella

Anonymous said...

I think the flashing ones are fine if they aren't flashing too fast. Sometimes they are really cute.

Anonymous said...

the more flash and bling the better! :)

Terri said...

Flashing ones are fine to a point. Like yours is fine, but there are several out there that make you feel like your in Vegas.

Anonymous said...

They drive.me.crazy. They are too distracting! I tend to stay away from things that are flashing.

Nancy said...

Nope - I don't like them. I think it's too busy for me to concentrate. I like music and I know a lot of people hate that too. If it's an interesting blog I stay anyway.

Unknown said...

I loaded the non-flashing version on my blog today! I do not have a strong opinion either way.

3LittleByrds said...

I like both.

Rebecca said...

I don't mind the flashing button at all! I think I'll keep the old one.

Judi said...

Most of them I find very annoying,especially if you have a million blinkies!!

Della said...

I'm not a big fan of the flashing button...they drive me batty!

Amy Jo said...

I"m surprised at how many people don't mind blinkies! They bother me A. LOT.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

I think flashing is fun! (on blogs of course, not in real life...)

XOXOXOXO
Jen

BlueCastle said...

I don't mind them - as long as they're not obnoxious, which yours is far from being.

JustMeCopper said...

Please no flashing .. or music. There are two blogs I like to read but I also hate to read because they have music. You have to scroll down to turn the music off. Flashing and music is a no to me.

At Home with the Hill's said...

I agree with your sister, Emily! Drives me crazy like "that kid".
No flashing button.

Heathahlee said...

I'm really okay with either one, but I may change mine to the static one, just for a different look. I like the saying on it, too! :)

Anonymous said...

I like flashy but that's just me. Im ready to change mine up a bit but not really sure what I want. It's almost as bad as picking out a paint color,ugh~ Blissdom countdown...I'm ready!

Becky Darlington said...

I like flashing. haha that kind of sounds naughty! :o)

Kim said...

I like the blinky flashy one!

Kristine said...

I find blinkies distracting when I try and read a blog. If I had a vote, I'd say keep the animation away.

Mimi Sue said...

The flashier the better. Mimi

Elaine said...

No likey flashes....keep it simple and I'll check it out! :) Flashy and I'll turn the page.

Lilly said...

Doesnt bother me at all either. This is subtly done.

Ridenour Family said...

not a big fan

the gypsy magpie said...

NON-flash pleeeeeeaaaase...

Rachel said...

Flashees aren't fun:-) Love the overall look though!

Katie said...

I have to say I prefer the non-flashy ones!

Unknown said...

I say "to flash" just because you can. :-) isn't america great?

{darlene} said...

They don't bother me. They actually catch my attention.

Dar

marieDee said...

I vote no to flash.

kristin maynes said...

I love your flashing button. It's not to 'flashy' and it's slow. Easy on the eyes:)

Don't ya just love Darcy!!

Anonymous said...

The flashing buttons or anything flashing on a sit is a Real distraction to me. When I am reading a post and there is flashing I have to put my hand over it in order to keep my mind on the writing. I wish it didn't both me, but it does. Sorry. Jody

Wendy said...

I do not like flashing buttons.

Anonymous said...

Trying hard not to be a perfectionist...I like your positive message on my site and the blinky!

Tracey said...

Flashing buttons make me twitch.

Tina said...

I feel silly for saying that the blinking ones bug me. I guess I never realized that they annoy me until I stopped and thought about it...

Now when the great music -vs- no music debate was in full swing over here, I was all for keeping the music.

What's up with that??

Jeri is said...

I kind of don't like flashing buttons, it's like they are screaming at me to look at them, and I try my hardest not to. I like to mosey to the side bars when I want, in a leisurely manner, like, "Oh my goodness, there is a button over there! Perhaps I will divert my big green eyes over there and take a look - right after I finish reading this very entertaining post." If this were a democracy among blogs, my vote would be no flashing. Flashing is bad.

Lovely Little Nest said...

I like the flashing button but they are both adorable! Question: my husband and I have sliding glass doors and not-so-attractive vertical blinds in our rental living room. What would be an inexpensive way for us to "dress" them without blocking too much light?

Abbie said...

I like the flashing one better - but mostly because I like the slogan on it better! And my blog is on wordpress so it won't accept buttons. :( Kind of silly.

Sarah said...

I like that there is only a small portion of the text that blinks and not the whole thing... that would be a little distracting.

-Sarah from Create Studio
www.createstudio.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I think flashing buttons and music players on a blog can be really enoying. This button is one of the expeptions, it is really cute and does not distract my reading. :))

Sandy @ The Scoop on Balance said...

Don't like glitter flash or obnoxious flash. Yours is neither, therefore, me likie!

~Sandy

Janet said...

No Flash. Flash = Trash. Usually flash and noise on a blog means there is nothing else going on. You have an awesome blog, it needs no flash. ;)

Jennifer said...

I'm not crazy about flashing, of any kind! ;) I do like what the first one says.

Carolina Mama said...

They are both really cute. I like the slow flash you've got going too.

Ali said...

Not to flash. Simple and clean is good. The flashy ones are like a telemarketer to me and I just completely zone them out. Wish I could do that when my kids fight! LOL

BECKY said...

glitter blinkies are def not my fave, but plain slow, not obnoxious blinkies are fine!!
Blessings,
Becky