An inspiring guest post from my favorite blogger who also happens to be my sister, Emily from Chatting at the Sky. She is a writer and photographer who's always finding the holy in the midst of the mundane.
An island in the kitchen is a luxury. It is a place to gather, a place for the kids to play while mommy cooks the dinner, a place to prop your elbows up with friends over appetizers and cookies.
When we first moved into our home nine months ago, I was thrilled to finally have a kitchen with an island. It had a prep sink, which I was happy about. But that meant it also had less counter space.
Now, our island is perfect for kids and cookies, elbows and blocks. If I decide to get even fancier, I can add those thingies underneath the counter to look like its holding it up but really its just there for looks. But for now, fancy can wait.
Granted, this project took a little more than a hot glue gun and high heeled shoe. But if you want to do a little kitchen sprucing without ripping the whole thing out and starting over, I am here to tell you what a difference it makes. I am so glad we did this during our first year in our home so now we can get full use of it. Thanks, sister, for cheering me on as I decided to have that island redone!
***
From The Nester: Thanks Emily. I love what a HUGE transformation you made just with paint, bead board and granite! Be sure to visit Chatting at the Sky for more inspiration in lots more categories than just house stuff . If you have the time and don't know her yet, a few of my personal favorite posts of hers are: Be More Do Less, Skates are From the Devil, The Now Dancer, Confessions, and The Office: A Makeover. Love you sister!
***
Some of you are asking about the post showing the redo of her previous kitchen enjoy!

75 comments:
Small, small world. I just added your sister's blog to my blog list last week! I had no idea she was your sister. Looks like good blogging runs in your family.
I love it! Nesting runs in your family. What a gorgeous kitchen!
Great guest post choice Nester. :-) Looks amazing Emily!! Those fancy things under the island are called corbels. Don't worry, I didn't know that until we built our house in 07. The kitchen looks great and love the mistreatments in the background. Hugs--M
You did an amazing job with your kitchen!
It's amazing how some of just the smallest things make HUGE changes. Thanks for sharing your home with us!
It looks gorgeous - and I love the black cabinets!
What a dramatic difference those black cabinets make! It looks fabulous!
Great makeover. I'm glad to see that you painted the rest of the cabinets black. They look fantastic! I'm looking forward to a kitchen with an island someday. Growing up, it seemed like something only fancy people had. Not so! Beautiful & very functional transformation!
So did you girls learn nesting from your mamma? She must be amazing......love this post, and it really does make such a difference!
Suzanne
Love Emily's island! I have one in my kitchen and love it too. Kids and people seem to congregate in the kitchen at the island...I don't feel so alienated from everyone when I'm cooking.
Wow...great transformation. My island has the hangover and I have the spindle legs. I like how it looks, but it is harder for people to get in and out of the bar stool. Looks great though!
I LOVE the black cabinets! Southern Hospitality is doing a kitchen tour, today. She pictured some beautiful kitchens, as well.
Great job, Emily!!
I would love to know what you used to paint the cabinets and how you sealed them, etc. We have considered painting ours, but aren't sure of the process, plus I'm a little scared to do it. We may attack the china hutch first and see how that goes.
(http://theshadesofpink.blogspot.com/2008/09/busy.html)
Wow..that looks just amazing! As I was reading this..I turned and looked at my island. I want to paint my cupboards...but I am SO SCARED!!!!!!!
Looks wonderful.
Sandy toe
Wow...what a difference! I love the painted cabinets & bead board! :)
Love the kitchen. What a transformation!! You both have such a style!
What a beautiful kitchen. So much better.
Please tell us the steps you used in painting these. They're beautiful! I'm dreaming of doing the same..... but don't know where to start.
Lovely makeover! This gives me some inspiration for redoing our kitchen someday. Thanks for sharing!
Want to know how to paint cabs?
Next week {I think!} Remodeling Guy is gonna teach us--hold on ONE MORE WEEK!
I love that kitchen re-do! It's beautiful and functional. Great job!
Gee's Emily...I absolutely love it!! Nice job.
What a makeover!
Totally stunning.
Love it!
I absolutely love love those black cabinets!! Gorgeous!! How brave to take on that project. I would be so nervous to ruin my cabinets. I have the same orangey wood ones but after 8 years I too am tired of them and want something new but can't afford new cabinets. Dare I paint? I am going to show my hubby this post and see what he thinks. Thanks for the great idea!!
BTW, I have a 14foot bar and I LOVE it.
I love the bead board that Emily added! And, those mistreatments at the back of the picture got my little brain a goin'!!
Hugs,
Susan
And so you clear up my kitchen photo confusion! (But thanks for sending me the post from the OLD kitchen!)
Love the whole finished look, really beautiful.
I so wish I had room in my kitchen for an island! The makeover looks amazing. My next goal is to talk my husband into letting me paint my cupboards! Wish me luck!
What a fantastic redo!! I love the black. I was wondering if you would change the cabinets as you had in your other house. I think it looks so rich and the black framed art just pops in there also. Love it, love it, love it!!!
Yea for the island girl. We all love her, and so much more than than glueguns...hee hee. That was funny.
WOW, SOOOO BEAUTIFUL!!! I HATE THE ORANGEY COLOR OF MOST CABINETS. THE BLACK IS STUNNING, SOPHISTICATED, AND JUST PLAIN BEAUTIFUL!
HUGS FROM MAINE
http://sophie4me.blogspot.com/
Our center island was covered in a heavily covered spackle~ugh. We put bead board over it too and it looks so much better.
I am absolutely astonished at the difference painting the cabinets black made! So classy and beautiful!
My favorite combo of all: The Nester AND Emily. It's like one-stop-favorite-people-shopping.
Love that kitchen. Love the island.
I heart beadboard.And I heart most anything painted black.
Excellent Makeover! Love the cabinets black.
Karol :0)
Your kitchen redo is fabulous. Great work.
Your kitchen makeover looks great! I added your blog in for my daily reading.
I love the island. I'm using this picture to help convince my husband that yes, black cabinets in the kitchen would look good. :)
It looks great, Emily!
what an amazing transformation! I love the black painted cabinets as well. Great job!
Great post Nester and Emily! Love you girls!
Are there any pictures that show the little breakfast nook in the back with the table? Is that a fantastic mistreatment I see? What yummy color is on those walls? I'm salivating to see more!!!
Wow, the cabinets painted and the island looks amazing. I keep going back n forth on painting my cabinets. , you might have given me the push. mishelle
Love the new kitchen! I like that she took a nice, basic house, moved in, and upgraded it to be her own. What a transformation! Blessings!
Looks great! Do you have a problem w/ your kids hitting their heads on the large overhang? We had one in our old house, and my son was constantly hitting is head on it. We don't have one now, but I kinda miss it (but not the head bumps).
lindsay - YES! Our 5 year olds are okay with it, but our 2 year old is constantly hitting his head. When we first moved in, he could walk right under it, but since he has grown, he doesn't understand and runs right into it. Ouch!
I love the transformation. We did the exact same thing with our island and I did add the corbels. I found some unfinished ones on-line and then painted them to match the island, and it looks so gorgeous, just like yours. Check out my blog and my post that says mini-kitchen redo. Hugs, Marty BTW the corbels were only $22 each, much cheaper than the stores.
Hi Emily - That looks great! I love everything about the whole project!
Great job and I enjoyed the post very much!
Great job, Emily. I have not stopped by in a while, but I should, shouldn't I?
LOVE your simple and classy and practical kitchen changes.
I really LOVE your kitchen...everything about it!! What color paint is on your walls?
I love Chatting at the Sky - visiting from there, actually. The kitchen looks GREAT! We painted our kitchen cabinets this winter - and added an island, though I ended up finding an antique base of a Hoosier cabinet to use rather than having an island built.
http://hangingoutthewash.blogspot.com/2009/01/kitchen-cabinet-facelift-after-photos.html
What a difference! It looks so updated!!
Super! It turned out great and it was so fun to see the transformation from beginning to end! Thanks for sharing Nester and Emily! Love you both! :-)
Looks great! We also put bead board on the ends of our cabinets and had them painted white. It made a huge difference!
Very lovely. Would you mind sharing the new paint color on the walls?
Your new kitchen looks very warm and inviting. Nice work!
Hi Emily! Love the new look in the kitchen. I stare at mine every day trying to decide what I can do to mix it up from the stock new house look! You did a great job!
xo
Great transformation! I think it looks amazing. We have that same block puzzle. My son plays with it constantly.
I love the colors in the kitchen, so relaxing and calm.
~Michelle
Isn't it great how painting out your cabinets made your wood floors sing? Before they were lost in the orange.
I recently had my client's cabinets painted and they look terrific! You're so right... what a difference a little paint can make!!
Victoria from EdinDesigns @ DesignTies
Our apartment kitchen is large enough to have a small island in it but I have alot of counter space.
I do love your addition.
Hi, Nester & Emily! What a great kitchen redo. Love those black cabinets and yes, those little differences in the island made a big transformation. It must be kitchen day, that's what I'm posting about today too. Getting ready for a little makeover myself!
absolutely fabulous remake...
Love your sister's kitchens! Could you tell us what color paint she used on the walls in both kitchens. It looks like a beautiful shade of soft yellow.
I have been waiting to see your sisters kitchen since her sneak peak awhile ago. I am still loving her black cabinets. Would you mind sharing with me the brown paint color that is in your bedroom. It looks almost like a chocolaty color. I saw the Lowes paint can that you showed but I wasnt sure if this was the color since you said you used it in the kitchen. Thanks.
Hi girls! I love it all! The new island is perfect, the black cabinets are so me, but my eyes went straight to the subway tile...grrrrr...that's a project that I want done pronto. The drapes are gorgeous, so is the mirror, everything looks FAB!
~Misti
I'm loving that mirror in the background... great post!
I just had a d'uh moment! This shows me what I need to do to my bar! Thanks Emily and The Nester!
I love your sis's blog BTW!
What a wonderful, awesome transformation! I really want to redo my kitchen island, but am so afraid to do it because it's not that old and I don't want to ruin the wood/finish if it doesn't work out.
I need to go over to her site and see how exactly she did it. Thanks so much for the inspiration!!!!
Have a wonderful weekend! What a super nesting family you have - so lucky!!!
XOXOXOOX
Jen
I don't care what Emily says--she's good at decorating too!
My heart is pounding! I cannot believe the transformation!
I finally got my linky up and running (nothing like being late for your own party!) Thank you for allowing me to share your expertise.
Enjoy the weekend!
This looks great! Isn't paint a wonderful thing! You cracked me up with the glue gun and high heel comment. :-)
The makeover looks wonderful! The "before" island wood really blended in with your wood floors, so the island re-do made it pop! I also like the curtains that appeared in the background! ;)
The cabinets look fabulous!
I have a technical question--I am getting ready to paint (hopefully spray paint!) our old oak kitchen set to get a few more years out of it. Did you sand your cabinets before you painted them? My husband insists it won't work without sanding but I have NO desire or intention of sanding them. Please help me prove him wrong! And, what color/finish/brand black paint did you use on the cabinets? It's beautiful!
FaBULOUS CHANGE.i LOVE THE COLOR NOW....ANN
That is awesome! Looks so great!
Please tell us what paint color you used on the walls! It's gorgeous! And I need to paint my kitchen. Thanks!!
YEAH!!! I just did this exact thing!! How fun to see another one -- but I did add the corbels -- tell her to do it, do it!!
Post a Comment