Decorating With Lamps Part 1


After yesterday's post where I told you of my lamp obsession so many of you came out of hiding admitting your ever growing collection of lamps. Right now the lamp count is tied at 41 for the freaks with the most lamps. Love both of you dearly you lucky loaded lamp ladies! And hey, did y'all see Self Confessed Lamp Tramp even stopped by!

Sarah said
I currently have...not enough! I hate overhead light but I struggle to pick out lamps and figure out where to place them. Help!!!!!

April commented:

I have six lamps. I would like to have more in my living room, but my furniture is pulled away from the walls, so if I had a lamp on my end table, the cord would stretch across a walk-way. I wish I could figure out what to do about this.

Tina asked
Can you mix and match lamp styles? Do they all need to be similar metals/finishes or do you just "buy what you like". I am breaking your rule of not decorating because of "the rules" and being afraid.

Well ladies, I'm not a certified lamp expert but I can tell you what I believe:

  • Yes, mix and match styles
  • Yes, mix and match finishes
  • Yes, buy what you love
  • Yes, stop worrying about rules
  • Yes, there are tricks to lamp placement


Nester's Lamp Guidelines {not to be mistaken for rules}

  • I love 3 lamps in a triangle in a room
  • Aim for the same height of lampshades in a room
  • Be selective of shade colors
  • The base is part of the decor
  • Set a budget and stick to it

I had no idea we would have so much to talk about just on the topic of lamps. I'll start next Tuesday and we'll talk lamps once a week for a few weeks and hit on each of these bullet points above and more if I feel the urge. Maybe we'll even have a Mr. Linky Lamp Party!

sister's floor lamp

Lamp Tramps Unite!

71 comments:

Lindsay @ Makely said...

This is SO timely, as I just added going out and buying a new lamp for my bathroom (!) at a thrift store today. Yay, yay, yay! Thanks for the tips, Nester!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are doing a Lamp Love Fest! I can't wait to go to the thrift stores to buy... lamps! The more pictures the better - I love stealing ideas! :)

Christi said...

I didn't comment yesterday, but I am a lamp lover, too. And moving into a new house has me bumfuzzled, 'cause I don't know how the lamp situation will work out. Our furniture placement will be so different.

Currently, we have 14 lamps and I am on the lookout for more. So much nicer than overhead lighting!

Joyce's Journey said...

A Mr. Linky Lamp Party is an excellent idea!!! I would definitely participate as I think I have some pretty ones, but more than that, I would love, love, love to see what other's have as well. That would be such fun!

Jen@Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

No way...she is really a lamp TRAMP? That is hilarious? That's when I know I am just way too much of a lamp prude; I need some trampiness in my life. :)

Anonymous said...

I love lamps but have always been intimidated by how to use them in my home decor. I am loving the tips you're sharing and I can't wait to see your future ideas!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

So glad to have help with lamps. I've had the same ones for years because I just can't figure out what to buy. I look forward to becoming more lamp savvy. Hugs, Marty

Jenny said...

This has inspired me in so many ways! Thank you, all of you ladies. I confess I have many, lamps in every room :o) and I believe in balance, so just one won't do! I'm thinking of all the lamps at my parents house in one of their barns.....they're calling my name, waiting for a makeover....woo-hoo!

Chris said...

Huh. Who knew lamps would be such a hot topic?! Um...I have lamps. I like lamps. I am a lamp tramp? :)

The Soladay Family said...

Love lamps! In fact, my husband teases me about it! To me, they're like adding jewelry to an outfit...They're the finishing touch!

Yes, yes...Lamp Link!!!!

Cottagecheap said...

I bought the cutest 'tiny lamp' at Goodwill the other day for my bathroom and now I actually get UPSET when someone turns on the ugly overhead light in there. I love getting up at night and walking into the lamplight. SIlly me!

Vanessa Greenway said...

That is great Nester! I'm just rearrenging my living room furniture and I will need help placing my lamps! Thank you!

Stacey said...

Oh goody! I have permission to add lamps! Thanks.

J.J. said...

I be a lamp tramp too. We NEVER use over head lighting. I cringe when someone turns the overhead lighting on. -lol It is as if they slung a bucket of backyard dirt all over the room. Cracks me up that I became such a snob of NO MORE OVER HEAD LIGHTING.

Lamp total. 16 lamps. Not too bad.....but still looking to add a few more :) hee hee hee

Biteofpunkinpie said...

Dear Nester,
I'm looking forward to some lamp guidance. Currently I've avoided rearranging my living room furniture (including a plan to pull the sofa off the wall, which is a HUGE step for me!) because I don't know what to do about lamp placement, particularly taking care of stretching cords away from a wall. THANKS!!!

Tiffany said...

Over head lights are a big no-no in my house Somehow when the over head light is on, every piece of dog hair in the house is illuminated!

I agree with your suggestion of having different bases with matching or similar shades. That's the way to keep it all together. Like Stacy from What Not To Wear says...it doesn't have to match, it just has to go.

Runner Mom said...

I heart lamps! Hubby doesn't understand the need to have on several at the time--especially when no one is in the room--it's the den which is open to our kitchen where we basically live!

Hugs,
Susan

SoBella Creations said...

I have one lamp in my house. It is a limited edition lamp by belleek. It has been knocked off the table I don't know how many times. I honestly don't know how it hasn't been broken.

Sarah said...

Thank you so much Nester!! I was hoping my sad plea for help would result in a lamp tutorial. I cannot wait, I think this will really transform the rooms in our house!!

Decor To Adore said...

Ohh I adore lamps. I am more of a lamp vamp! :)

On a side note, I remebered that you home school your children and thought you might want to fly on over to my blog to see the 2nd of two posts I have up today.
We have a resident mother hummingbird and her babies have arrived. She is the ultimate Nester. :) Thought you might like to show the kiddos the picture of her silver dollar sized nest and its adorable occupants.

Rachelle said...

This is perfect for me! Yesterday as I spent an eternity in walmart's lamp isle (Just keepin it real here, my lamp budget is pretty teeny tiny) I had NO IDEA what I wanted! So, naturally I walked away mad at the lamp isle. :) So I'm ready to be inspired! :)

Emily said...

YAY! Lamps! I am excited!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I can't wait - have some lamp questions myself and hope to see some answers!

April said...

Thanks for taking note of my lamp troubles. I can't wait to read your advice. I'm looking forward to this series.

Sharon said...

I too am a lamp "collector"...on the cheap...from garage sales, thrift stores, flea markets, etc. I have over 30!! I keep a copy of a page from an old Time-Life Book :BASIC WIRING on hand that shows how to "re-wire a lamp" so I can fix any treasure I find! It's a skill that really comes in handy! You'd be surprised how many lamps are gotten rid of for a "song" just because the chord is bad!

homebody0404 said...

Dear Nester,

About the finish, does that apply to the chandeliers throughout one's home? I changed out 2 ugly bronze chandeliers for two pretty black ones I found on sale, one in the formal dining room and one in the eat-in kitchen. My problem is that I can't find overhead lighting for over my island. The ugly bronze is still there. I'm thinking of pulling it down and spray painting it. I'd like to add that we're putting our house up for sale soon. Any suggestions,...anyone?

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

I LOVE Emily's chandelier in her bedroom. I love your other lamp photos too.

I have a question. I have my sofa and loveseat in the middle of my living room, with a side table in the little corner between them. I'd love to have a lamp on that table, but there's no outlet built into the floor. What would you do in a situation like that...oh wise Nester :).

Lamp Tramp said...

Woohoo! A lamp party...can't wait. It will be so fun and informative to get great new ideas. I'll be dusting mine off. Thanks, Nester for the motivation to finish up some of the lamp redos I've been working on!

Sara Neufeld said...

I have 2 lamps (gasp). I guess I just haven't known how to do them or where to put them! I guess I didn't realize they were so important! I look forward to any tips you give!! :)

Mom in High Heels said...

Yea for lamps! I look forward to your series.
BTW, I made my 100th post today and I'm giving away goodies. Chocolates and other German goodies. COme over and enter!

Heathahlee said...

I LOVE Emily's floor lamp! I need a pretty floor lamp.

I'm looking forward to these posts!

Heather said...

I LOVE lamps too! I am excited to read more.

Tracy said...

Nester...do you have any suggestions for areas with no outlet? Any good battery operated options out there? I know it's not that hard to have outlets added, but it's just not an option at this point.

Thanks for all of your tips! You help so many of us make our houses a home.

Just Lisa said...

Three lamps in a triangle? I need help with that. I have two lamps in the living room, one on each side of the couch. I feel like anywhere I would put a third one would just be weird and out of place.

The same with the bedroom... I have one lamp on each side of the bed. I have no idea where I would put a third one. Maybe on our dresser? But isn't pointless if we never turn it on? HELP!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Woohoo, lamp tramps! I am going to wait with baited breath for the next lamp post--I need the help! ;)

pcb said...

After just guessing yesterday, I actually counted my lamps today. At 31, I won't take over the lead, but it's more than I thought I had!

Unknown said...

Ok I have 43 lamps and chandys. I think i have a little obsession cause i have a couple more that i don't have room for. lol. Mishelle

Southern Charm said...

I love the idea of a Mr. Linky lamp party! It might motivate me to get moving on a lamp or two... there's nothing like a linky party to get me movin.

I like to partee!!

Miss G said...

I was surprised at the kind of conversation lamps created yesterday and it was really fun. Yea for a series on lamps. Have a great day! Kelly

trish said...

I love lamps! This is going to be a fun topic! Maybe a link up in the future to see how others decorate with lamps?! :o)
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Carry Grace said...

Lamp Tramp! LOL

Cheri said...

Hi Nester! You've got me all crazy changing my paint to TR and Svelte Sage and goin' to every store around me. (I had TR in my old house way back in 2001 and loved it, now I have some Benjamin Moore copy). But my husband thinks I'm nuts for staying up all hours of the night searching for things to re-do my rooms. I know this wasn't a post about TR, but about lamps so I just want to say thank you for your fabuloso blog. My sister lives in Huntersville and if I could come down right now to your area I would and I'd be knockin' on your door! No, I'm not crazy; I'm fun and cool and you'd see ;-) And by the way, I'm going to search for some lamps, too.

Thanks again!
Cheri in MD

Lazy Mom Leslie said...

I stopped counting downstairs, but now I am going to have to go through the whole house to see if I have 44 or not. That seems like a bunch of lamps!

Unknown said...

I agree. I seriously love lamplight. Makes those family evenings at home seem so much cozier.

southerninspiration said...

For anyone deficient in accent lighting, Hobby Lobby has decorative lamps 50% off this week.
Hide it under a bushel, NO.....I'm gonna let it shine,

Suzanne

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

That top chandelier with the shades is fabulous!

Lara said...

YAY! I'm so looking forward to this! We don't have an overhead light in our main family room, but it's HUGE (18x25), so I have lamps everywhere. I still feel like it's not enough lighting though, especially at night. Lamps are my favorite things to buy at auctions :) Can't wait!

Cheryl @ a pretty cool life. said...

Haha, I'm a lamp tramp!

Lauren and Jeff said...

Oh my - I only have 4 lamps in my whole house. I like three of them, but hate the 4th. It's brass. Ew. Can I spray paint brass? Does that work?

BlueCastle said...

My husband thinks I'm nuts. I have a total of 5 lamps in my tiny living room and I insist those be turned on at night - not the overhead light. I have to say that I have a thing for hanging lamps. Especially chandeliers that you can plug in and hang anywhere.

Shell in your Pocket said...

I love "little" lights everywhere!
sandy toe

Kim @ Forever Wherever said...

I'm getting ready to paint a lamp for my living room. The one that's there now has be destroyed by flying pillows. {All accidental, of course!} I can't wait to hear more! Who knew "lamp talk" could be so exciting!

~Kim

Anonymous said...

My question is how do you measure for the proper size shade?? Thanks, Doris

Anonymous said...

Could you find out where Emily got that great light fixture (overhead) in her bedroom? I LOVE it!

Thanks!!

tina

tinam61@yahoo.com

Karol said...

Boo Yah! Or is it Hoo hah?!

Whatever. I am in! A Mr. Linky Par-tay sounds awesome.

Karol :0)

ArlaMo said...

Ooooh! I love your sister's lamp in that last photo. But more importantly, where did that pillow come from?? Love it!

Jeanne Oliver said...

I love lamps, but I currently have a pillow addiction...ADDICTION I said:-)

Gina @ MoneywiseMoms said...

Oh, do I need more lamps. But I've been afraid because of the three toddlers. Floor lamps have been broken, we have no table lamps (and no tables), and I haven't found any hanging lamps that aren't ugly. So we only have the overhead lights and it's not enough. Can you please cover this?

susan said...

Lamps, dishes, fabric....so many thing to choose from...too little time :)

Ali said...

My mom loves her lamps so much that she had outlets installed into her wood floors. They are the special kind intended for floor installation and are covered either with furniture or with rugs so they are never an eyesore, but it is very handy for placing lamps in the middle of a room. No cords to trip over. Nice right?

Katie King said...

I LOVE LAMPS! I think I got my love of lamps from my mom. It is such a huge joke in our family! My dad and my husband always pick on us about how we will turn off the overhead light and turn on 4 lamps in the room! I only have 9 lamps in my home right now. I am always on the look out for more :) Thank you for your blog!

jessiev said...

Hooray! Lamp Love over the next few Wednesdays! I need all the help I can get. I want, love and NEED more lamps. Your guidelines are great! Your sister's little corner set up with the floor lamp looks so cozy. Can't wait for next week! And a Lamp Party would be awesome!
Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Love the lamps...I snapped a picture of a cute lamp in a boutique and I need to put it on my blog.

Meanwhile, you are in my treasury on etsy.. hoots, tweets, chirps and cockadoodledoos...

http://www.etsy.com/treasury_list.php?room_id=51033

Southern Charm said...

Hey Nester, after reading your last two posts about lamps I got to thinkin. Dangerous I know. But I have only 3 lamps out and I was looking around.... I remembered a lamp I have but was put away. It was an evil lamp that my 9 year old fell of the bed and landed on when she was a few months old. The scar is pretty big and it is just above her hairline. We call it her Harry Potter scar. So the lamp was new and I had it on the floor 'til I could put it up. After the evil lamp bit my baby I didn't want it up and I put it away, it was pretty and dainty. So yesterday after your post I got over myself and pulled said evil lamp out and put it by my bedside. She's all plugged in and pretty. Now I have a reading light instead of that handheld book light thingy that always falls. Anyway, I really like the lamp & I suspect it won't be biting anybody on my bed table. I hope. Thanks for the inspiration. I have done so much with my home that I never would have before because I am "such a busy person" due to the beautiful inspiration of your blog. I just wanted to say thanks. My home is a lot prettier thanks to you. I always listen to your suggestions and do what I can. Just wanted to let you know.

Love ya,

Jennifer

Kelli said...

Out to search for new/old lamps!! Thanks for the motivation!!

Anonymous said...

I have 22 lamps...I have a room above the garage where we homeschool and it only has one window but two overhead lights (YUK!) Lowes had a deal on multiple lamps for both floor and table...we turn on all of them (8)when we are in there studying. I have always hated overhead and am currently trying to convince my husband to remove the ones in our bonus room. thanks for your post Laura

The Long Family said...

I don't have enough lamps. ON my to do list is to change the ones I have, I need better ones. Where do you find the white plates? I am looking for dessert plates to put in my plate rack and can't find ones I like anywhere. Don't care if they are identical, just white!

deepsouthrunner said...

Not to sound like Steve Carell in The Anchorman, but I love lamp(s). I really do, their light is less harsh than overhead lights, and they can be a really cute decor addition. I am looking forward to more of your posts!

kris said...

If you love lamps, you MUST check out my friend, Torri's blog. http://shadethatlamp.blogspot.com/
She makes the most wonderful lamps. I think you'll love them. You'd love her,too. She's stay at home mom, using her gifts to run an at home business.

Anonymous said...

What do you do when you have a handicapped child who hates lamps or lights in her room? She insists on lamps being on in other rooms but will not allow hall lights on, and hates ceiling and lamp in her room. Her room is so pretty if only.

kelly said...

Lamp party?? A must have! I love lamps!