Is Your Rental in Foreclosure?


It's rare for a rental home to go into foreclosure while a tenant is living in the house but, it does happen. Last Friday, a Sheriff pulled up in front of our rental house and handed me foreclosure papers. We rent. We pay on time every month. Lucky for us, we've been onto the whole shebang for a few months and were prepared for this. If you are renting, and suspect the mortgage isn't being paid even though you pay your rent on time every month--here are some tips that I've learned.

{The following thoughts are NOT based on research, professionals or hard facts. They are entirely my ideas based on what's happened in our particular situation.}

1. Gather information

Just because the owner misses one payment doesn't mean the house is going to end up in foreclosure. But, I think most home owners are concerned about what's going on with their personal situation and might not know the best time or way to tell the tenants something is wrong. No one wants a foreclosure and most people hold out hope to the very end that somehow, they'll be able to catch up on their payments. Here are some signs that first alerted us that something wasn't quite right.


  • Phone calls about basic maintenance issues are not returned
  • Notes taped to the door asking the owner to call the mortgage company
  • Very official looking envelopes coming to your mailbox addressed to the owners with a return address from an attorney
My advice would be to make every effort to communicate with the owner. Ask straight out if the house is headed to foreclosure and if there is anything you can do to help. Maybe the owners could try to sell the house and you could stage it for them in exchange for rent until you have to move. Maybe they'll let you live rent free for a month or more while you look for a new place.

In our case, we leased our home through a leasing company so we could not contact the owner ourselves. All of our simple, strait forward questions were answered as vaguely as possible and, as of 30 days ago, we were even encouraged to sign another year long lease.



If you suspect the house you are renting is headed for foreclosure contact a local real estate agent and attorney to find out what rights you have as a renter.


2. Tell people

Don't be afraid to ask for advice. Get the opinion from people you trust as to how to handle the situation. If you suspect you'll need to move, tell everyone you know about what's going on and let them know you are in the market for a new place to live preferably with rich owners who will never miss a monthly payment.

Be careful to not be too harsh on the owners. As upset that I am that the owners seem to be pocketing the money every month and not telling us, I choose to not spend my energy being mad at them. For all I know they have a mountain of medical bills, are facing a divorce or job loss. My guess is they are not taking vacations with our rent money. Focus on what you can control.


3. Take advantage of the opportunity and see it as an adventure

Maybe you weren't planning on moving. Consider this a great chance to lower your rent. Right now, with the market the way it is you might be able to find an even better deal than what you currently have. Look for someone who's house is on the market and has been for awhile. Chances are they might be willing to lease the house to you for the current mortgage payment. If they have lots of equity in the house, you could stand to get a great deal. Of course, there's no guarantee a foreclosure won't happen in the next house but, get to know the owner and their situation if possible.

Thirty days ago we gave our 60 day notice. It was a horribly hard decision. Like with tears and stuff. Our goal was to stay in this house for the next few years until we were debt free. We are settled, we don't want to move. We move too much. But the thought of getting kicked out on some random day because of foreclosure was worse than the thought of moving. And we knew that if we choose to not sign another lease here at least we could control when we moved again.


After a day or so I even got excited about moving again. Turns out we found a fantastic home that I cannot wait to live in. I'll tell you more about it as we get closer. The neighborhood is glorious and looking back, I admit, I'm secretly glad this happened to us.

206 comments:

1 – 200 of 206   Newer›   Newest»
Christi said...

Bless your heart, girl!

It's one adventure after another these days, isn't it? I know it is for us.

Can't wait to "see" your new place - I'm sure it will be amazing!

emily freeman said...

Well, that secret's out, I guess. And we will all benefit from the new digs. How many windows does that new house have? Enough for a bunch of mistreatments, I presume?

Christine said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! I would never wish moving on anyone, especially anyone who's done it as much as you. I know you've probably been wrestling with this for awhile, but your optimistic advice is really encouraging. I hope the moving goes well. (Kudos to you for working toward debt-free! We just paid off our medical bills, and we feel like kings. Dave Ramsey rocks, eh?)

The Stain Family said...

Glad the disappointment is behind you. I'm excited to see what I learn from you in your new house. I've been telling my husband, "you're going to walk in one day and not even realize what house you're in"...his response was, "what? you're gonna wash the dishes and clean off the counters"...followed by hysterical laughter. That man.

Emily@remodelingthislife said...

oh that SUCKS! but i love your attitude! i can't wait to see the new digs and what you do to make it home. hugs!!!

Cottage Lifestyle said...

I am glad you are taking such a positive attitude. I have moved 29 times and love moving...love the thought of a new decorating challenge.

Renee

Audra Lynn said...

Oh, my goodness. That's horrible! Good for you for finding the silver lining, though. I think it'd take me a lot longer to get there.

Angela said...

We purchased our first home in July '08 and we were lucky we got out of our rental while we did. Soon after we moved out it was foreclosed on. I do think it's pretty awful that the owners didn't give us any idea that this was about to happen but I'm so thankful we own our home now!

Summer said...

Just yesterday I heard a wonderful lesson on being thankful even for the bad things that happen, because you don't know yet what good things will come of them. Thank you for your marvelouis attitude, and for being an inspiration to me!

Marianne said...

So sorry to hear that you are 'forced' to move again. But you wouldn't be you if you didn't see an opportunity in it too. Good on you! Maybe it will be a chance to get out of debt even faster. And I am looking forward to 'tour de rental' The Sequel.
Love M

southerninspiration said...

Way to make lemonade from the lemons that landed on your front porch.....and how encouraging to all your readers that you are positive and even excited.....lots of decorating posts ahead, I imagine! Wahoo for us!

Suzanne

Mommy said...

WOW! That REALLY stinks! I hope the new house is FANTABULOUS! Hopefully that willl make this situation a little more bareable.

Gussy Sews said...

Hey Nester!

I'm so glad to read at the end you are taking this positively! Woo hoo on decorating A NEW HOME!!! Get out your paint brushes, horizontal doors that serve as wall art, and of course SHUTTERS to cover up ugly holes! :)

GUSSY

Candy Graber said...

Wow, you have a great attitude about it, I would have been a blubbering mess! I am praying that you all get settled and make your new home cozy, cozy, cozy, very soon!

Judy said...

Ugh...so sorry you have to go through this mess, but it sounds like you've got a great attitude about it all! I'm glad we'll all be along for the ride as you decorate your new home! I'm looking forward to that!

Robin said...

I am so sad this happened to you...but I am glad that greener pastures are ahead for all of you!

You are a much better woman than me.....it would be really hard for me not to be furious.

I am really exicted to see your new diggs and even more excited to see how wonderfully you decorate it!!

{{{HUGS}}}

Robin :o)

Kristen said...

Oh, bless your heart!!

Can't wait to see what you do with the new place. NC homes have more character in their pinky finger than in the whole foundation of a Texas home.

Lindsay @ Makely said...

Oh no! I'm sorry you are having to go through all of this. What a huge PITA. I'm glad you like your new place even more, though...and I'm selfishly excited that we'll get to see how you put it together!

Stacey said...

Oh, I feel sad that the owners are in that situation. You are so nice to not judge them. There are just so many people in dire straits right now. For all you know, your rent house might have been their dream home.

Now for you, it's a new decorating adventure!! :)

Deidra said...

Makin' lemonade outta those lemons! Enjoy your move and your new home!

Karen J said...

I love to move. We have been in our current home for almost 4 years ... a record for us. Even the kids were commenting on it and my family always has a joke when they come around about "when are you moving?" I'd move again in a heartbeat and I'd even like to think I could beat the odds and sell our house without too much trouble in this horrible market based on the fact that it is perfectly decorated in good taste. I could be wrong. I envy you being able to come together, focus and pay off your debt. All those years we rented and now what I would do to do that again to have more money to stock away. Do you home school your boys? With the kids in school it seems hard to move.

Cindy said...

What a marvelous positive attitude you have on this. Thank you for educating and lifting me up today. I thought I was going to feel terrible for you but, by the end of your blog was inspired! Thank you.

Christy said...

I'll admit I'm selfishly excited to see your new house and I'm already anticipating all the great posts that will come from your move! I'm sorry you're being uprooted so suddenly though. I know it's so hard with a family to pack everything up and get reorganized!

duchess said...

So sorry, but God's plans don't always go along with ours, do they?
Can't wait to see what's in store.

Chris said...

While I'm happy that you are able to see this so positively, I'm so sorry that it is simply stress that you don't need. I hope you, your husband, and your kids enjoy this new house. Good luck with everything!

Angie said...

Praise God for your great attitude! I can't wait to see what you do with another place. I have enjoyed your blog and all the ideas you have. God Bless!

Mom in High Heels said...

Wait, didn't you guys just move in? Holy moly. I can't wait to see your next place though. I'm excited just thinking of all the stuff you'll come up with to make it beautiful.
I posted my LR on my blog today (for meta Monday) and referenced you several times. I didn't want to post it, because I felt it wasn't perfect but then IDHTBPTBB came to me and I decided it was good enough. Come over and have a peek!

Still Learning said...

Oh my goodness. That has to be so stressful. I remember when you moved into this house and it seemed that within 3 days you had completely unpacked & decorated it like you had been there for YEARS!
I hate that you have to do that again. But it sounds like you are excited about the new house. Maybe you'll have some great neighbors too? Oh my.
Atleast you'll have plenty to blog about for the next few months right?
Good luck.

Unknown said...

Great attitude! We'll be moving again. Our teen is planning on going into the Air Force in January.
I've decided to stop working...again. So we will be stepping down from our Self Storage Property Manager positions.
I keep telling my husband it's a new adventure but he's upset.

Lynne in NC said...

Wow, Nester what a fabulous attitude. I am happy to read that you are looking at the positive side of this. It shows your heart is in the right place.

I'm excited to see how you'll decorate this lovely home, too.
Renting a home does have some advantages, huh?

Best wishes for a smooth transition.
Peace.

said...

Oh girl. I am SOOOO SOOO sorry this happened to you. I know you'll turn it around and make it for the best. I'm praying that this doesn't happen to us in our house that we're moving to next month. We're hoping to be in it for the next 3 years. Anyway, I can't wait to see how you decorate the new digs! Ya'll are in my thoughts and prayers.

Pinot after Playdates said...

so sorry you are going through all of this but it sounds like everything worked out for the best. everyone wins since we get to see what miracles you work next! Can't Wait!

Twice as Nice said...

I thought you would say this was an opportunity to purchase the home you are in for a fraction of its worth since it was in forclosure. I still don't understand how the owners could let go of a beautiful home that has renters in it.

Good luck to you and your family and I'm sure you will beautify the next home too.

Sissy said...

Oh, Nester, I am so sorry that you find yourself in this situation after working so hard to be debt free. And I hate that you are having to pack it up again so soon. But I know you will enjoy decorating a new place, so think of all that fun.

Any chance your new place is back up this way? That would be awesome.

SoBella Creations said...

So sorry your family is going through this. I can't wait to hear about your new place.

We moved to Florida 3 years ago. We found a small little house in College park to rent. We had hoped to rent for several years until we were too debt free. But, our landlord decided to sell the house. I secretly think he did this so he wouldn't have to renew our lease. I complained when things didn't work properly so he was having to spend quite a bit of money to fix things. So he wanted us out. But, it was the best thing for us. We now have our own house. Our kids are happy to have a place to call theirs.

Good luck with you move!

Amy said...

Way to make lemonade out of lemons! What a pain to move, but it sounds like you found a great new house. And just think of all of new decorating opportunities you can blog about. Looking forward to seeing the new place!

Darla said...

I'm so sorry Nester. Moving is not fun. I'm glad you are making the best of it. I have to admit my heart sunk reading this though.

Denise K. said...

Oh Nester, I am so sorry to hear this. Although it is a new beginning, and a chance to redecorate, :-) I am just so sorry you have had to go through all the hassle, worry, etc...etc...I hope you were able to find a home near your husband's work, in a great school district, etc...And just think, moving is a great new topic for your blog! Hang in there, and I'll remember you and your family in my prayers during this time of transition. Wth love from Colorado,
Denise :-)

Jenny@ L.O.T.s of Love said...

How difficult! Kuddos to you for being open to new things. We rent our first home but that was not our original intention. When we could not sell, someone came to us with a great rental offer and it has worked out fabulously! Everyone is happy!

Anonymous said...

I am sorry :(. This happened to some of our dear friends a month ago. They had a 24 hour notice to move out. Talk about pressure! What an amazing experience though, to see a community of believers gather around and help and to watch God provide them another home in less than 24 hours!

I see too, that you are viewing it in the same light...a blessing in disguise :)

Anne said...

Bless your heart! The women who manages our rental property for us said she has had 3 of the properties she oversees go into foreclosure and its the first time in her 30 years of real estate that that has ever happened! I would have been in shock- and you are a big person for not completely freaking out.

I hope your moves goes well- we'll put yall (and the owners, bless thier hearts too, I guess) in our prayers.

Shannon said...

Bless your heart! Moving is such a challenge - but I am absolutely inspired by your attitude!

Mrs. Darling said...

As a homeowner now for almost 30 years I never given any thought to what would happen to renters if the landlord didnt pay his bill. Yikes. Im glad this is all working out for you though.

Melissa said...

I'm so sorry you have to move again, but it sounds like it's all working out for the better. It will make for some fantastic future posts. Big hugs to you and I adore my tassel~it came last week!!

Anonymous said...

Moving is stressful enough when it's a 'wanted and planned' move. But HAVING to or being forced to move is no one's cup of tea. Glad you found a place you are looking forward to being in.

DI
The Blue Ridge Gal

Magic Brush said...

I'm so poud of you that you are committed to becoming debt free. Are you doing Dave Ramsey? Sounds like you are making lemonade out of a lemon... good for you! I'm so glad you saw it coming and could prepare yourself (vs. a REALLY big shocker one morning). You'll have an opportunity to decorate a new place. Lots to blog on! Good luck to you!

Trish @TheOldPostRoad said...

WOW. Thanks for sharing -which may help others.

It will be fun to watch your new place evolve.

www.TheOldPostRoadBLOG.blogspot.com

Mary Ellen said...

I'm sorry this happened to you. But I'm glad you're able to turn this into a blessing for your family. Can't wait to see the new place!

june@craftyniche said...

Sounds like there is a silver lining there after all. I can't wait to see your new place. :)

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Oh, you sweetie! If I were just a little closer to you, I'd be over there in a heartbeat to help you! Moving under stress is never fun. Like you said, maybe it'll be best in the long run though!

Anyway, I pray that this will end up being a blessing in disguise, and I know that you'll work mistreatment miracles in your new home too!
Blessings, Stacey

Jen@Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

So that's why your sis was visiting. :)I know how much you did not want to move...the hassle - UGH! But we're excited about all the new blogger fodder this will bring. xoxo

And, just in case the other house doesn't work out. We have a 1000 square foot unfinished 3rd story just waiting for you and the man to put your magic on....rent free...as long as you want. We'll even build a separate entrance. hee hee
Now, that would make some great beauty and bedlam fodder. :)

Cheryl said...

Oh my, I am sorry to hear this happened to you,but am glad you have chosen to look at in a positive perspective and even blogged about it to share with others.
Blessings to you and your family as you take on this new adventure.

Lindy said...

Wow, I am sorry to hear that. You have a great attitude though. Just one of the many reasons why I H.E.A.R.T. The Nester! I will be praying for you guys during the upcoming weeks!

Sally Pepper said...

I think we all get a little excited when you move!

Kristi~The Slipcover Girl said...

ooohhh! can't wait to see your new digs! i absolutely LOVE your attitude about the whole situation. thanks for sharing. we are also in the process of moving. we did find a place and got a great deal! glad you did too!

Sara said...

What a good attitude you've accuired. Thanks for sharing, because I think this happens more often than we realize. I've been reading articles about this very situation all over the country.

Can't wait to hear about the great house you are moving too.....and I'm sure your road towards beaing debt free will continue forward, even with this small set back!

the undomesticated wife said...

I'm glad you found a place you like better, but honestly, it's a pretty craptastic situation to be in! I'd have been furious at the owners.

Good luck moving in and getting settled!

Samantha said...

Well, I just love it when you move! We benefit greatly from seeing you put together a new house! LOL But seriously, as a renter, this subject is always in the back of my mind. So many foreclosures are happening these days and renters have to be affected all over the country. I'm glad you chose to blog about your experience. It is good for us renters to have thought about this some in case it should happen to us at some point. My husband is under a temporary contract, so we chose not to buy in this market knowing his job would change at the end of the contract. So we know we will be making some sort of move a year from now. We just pray that it won't happen earlier than that! Our landlords seem to be very stable, thankfully, although you never know what will happen to a person in this economy.

Amy said...

Oh my goodness! I can't believe this happened to you! If I'm being honest, I believe I would've taken the low road and been quite mad for a while, but I really admire that you decided to look on the bright side of things. God ALWAYS has a plan, right?

Also, I can't WAIT to see what you come up with in the new house!! I eagerly anticipate new projects, new ideas, and with a new house, and new perspectives, there's no telling what you're capable of!

Look forward to seeing your new life!

Sara F. said...

Oh no! God bless you for finding the silver lining in an unfortunate situation. And, like everybody else, I can't wait to see what you do with the new place!

Rissa said...

That has to be so frustrating but way to be optimistic by looking at it as an adventure. I am excited to see your new home.

Little Lovables said...

So sorry that happened!! But, I guess it is a blessing in disguise :)

Great advice too! And even thought the owners may not be vacationing with your rent money, some people are out there that DO!

Linda said...

"My guess is they are not taking vacations with our rent money. Focus on what you can control."

That's just one VERY, VERY mature thing to say! I'd almost say.... "I'm proud of you!" but that would sound silly, hehe ;)

Greetings from the netherlands!

Kelly said...

My heart sank when I read the title of this post. This just happened to us a few months ago. We moved into a rental house in August and in January figured out that it was heading to foreclosure.

We learned that we had really no rights as renters once the house was in default. But, we figured out that our landlord was in breach of our rental contract by allowing the home to fall into default, so we were able to move out without consequence from breaking our lease, since he'd already broken it. We found another rental home that we love, and we moved in February (like you, to be more in control of the situation), but we found out yesterday that we may be facing the same situation all over again, which really stresses me out. I mean, what are the odds?

You've got a wonderful positive attitude -- good luck with the move!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

We have friends that their rental also went into foreclosure. It is so sad and hard, like you they were able to find a much nicer place to live and are happy to be in their new place. I hope your move goes smoothly and you will enjoy your new home too. God Bless, Hugs, Marty

Kimberly Wright said...

I actually know several people who are renting that have had the house foreclose on them. Its really sad.

Mrs. Petrie said...

Your post made me gasp! I'm so sorry your family has to be uprooted. But from reading your blog, I know you will make your next house a home. We're rooting for you!

Unknown said...

Praying for you. Moving is hard but moving IN a new place is so much fun!

Crystal said...

You have such a great attitude about this. I love it. One to the next adventure. I would love to move!

Tiffany said...

Wow. I'm glad you have such a great attitude, this could not have been easy! Good luck in your new place!

CindyDDD said...

Well, that stinks! But I can't wait to see what you do with a new place!

Your rental looks like the houses in a neighborhood around here! I almost thought you were *that* close to me!
(But I know better.)

The Dragonfly said...

I appreciate your optimistic and forgiving attitude during such a tough time. I also appreciate your candidness about the situation and the fact that you our beloved Nester, are willing to discuss something so real and common during this economic time that others can learn from . Thank you!

3livingstones said...

I visit your blog often but am not one to leave comments. I enjoy your decorating style and am inspired by your photos. Today, I felt I needed to leave a comment. I SO appreciated your good attitude towards the situation you find yourself in. The compassion you express towards your landlord is commendable and the view that what lies ahead is really an adventure is one that I hope many people will adopt in these difficult times. Life isn't always fair but we always have a choice how we're going to respond to what is handed to us. I look forward to seeing where you end up and what you do with the space that is temporarily yours. Be assured that you are an inspiration.

Rachael Black said...

Yikes. I'm a firm believer that when one door is closed, another is opened for you! Sounds like this new door could lead to greater things for you and your family!

Summer said...

WOW! What a shocker! You have such a great attitude though! Blessings on your new adventure!!!

Sarah said...

I'm so sorry you have to move again! I feel your pain, moving is my least favorite thing in the world!And it's doubly frustrating that it is through no fault of your own.

Glad to hear you have found a new place and are excited about it. Can't wait to see how you feather your new nest!!

Biteofpunkinpie said...

Oh Nester! I'm so sorry this happened to you (and the owners) but looking forward to following you on this next adventure!

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

Bless your heart! I can't believe you've had all of this going on. I admire your amazing attitude...and you're right, why dwell on the negative.

I can't wait ot see the new place!

Our Family said...

Oh my goodness! You have such a positive Christian attitude about the whole thing! Good for you, and good luck to your family! And thank you for my lovely tassel; it arrived two days ago, and I heart it!

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

Sounds like a blessing in disguise to me! Can't wait to see your new place. :)

Trisha said...

What a great outlook you have! I have lesssons to learn from you. I suspect we all could! I can not wait to see what fun things you have in store for us! Good luck with the move, I will keep you family in our prayers!

Anonymous said...

Man! I'm glad you knew ahead of time and that it's all turning out to be a good thing.

Stupid economic downturn.

I, too, look forward to your windows and their being mistrated.

A. said...

We are renters, too. Our landlord raised our rent in the middle of our lease, which gives us the option to get out of our lease and move. This foreclosure situation is one of the reasons we've decided to stay even though we are paying FAR more than we should for this house.

I know the owners and I'm pretty sure they are paying the mortgage. Nothing is guaranteed, though.

Foreclosures are skyrocketing in our area.

We've moved 10 times in 9 years. How do you make it affordable? We figured it costs us about $3000 every time we move in truck rental fees, plus we've not lived in this city very long so have to hire help, new deposits, new utility deposits (everything is run by private or townships etc.), hookups, extra boxes, eating out until thing are settled...

One of the reasons we can never seem to "catch up" is from all the moving. Like you, I'd love to move from this house into something nicer but I really want to be settled for a couple years until we are ready to buy again.

KarenB said...

I'm so sorry you have had to deal with this. It happened to my neighbors within 3 months of them moving in. You have such a sweet attitude about it and are certainly being helpful to others facing the same situation. God will abundantly bless your new home!

A. said...

Also, I'm really sorry. I can imagine how that would feel. Especially when you've been doing your part and paying on time.

Good luck. I can't wait to see the new place!

Mombrud said...

I'm sorry for your challenge! It's a good thing you are a smart lady who does her research. I am so impressed by your positive attitude!

Anonymous said...

How beautiful that God has given you eyes to see this as a blessing/opportunity instead of being angry. And given us the gift of how to detect warning signs. You are one cool lady.

lcbannon said...

Nestor, Sorry you are having to go thru all this.. Your positive outlook rocks however. Also in secret we will all be looking forward to your new decorating you will hopefully share with us.

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

OMG! I am so pleasantly surprised by your upbeat attitude about the whole thing. I know it must be very hard on you and your family. At least you found out about it before someone came to kick you out! I'm truly sorry to hear what you've gone through and I hope you can all settle down in your new rental...and least then we'll get to see more photos of your lovely mistreatments, etc! Something to look forward to. :)

Pretty Organizer said...

Hopefully your new house negotiations included painting the walls Tobacco Road? You told them you're THE Nester right? You told them their house would be photographed and viewed over 300K times in one month right?.... and I'm sure you told them that if they ever went into foreclosure you'd write a post for all to see like the last unlucky land lord! (no judgments made... I think these days this post is a great benefit to many.)

After our last move my husband said he'd move out of this house in a box nailed shut... I think we're here for awhile until the hubby recovers from moving trauma. No wonder why the tassel shop needed to be condensed! Girl, you could have a virtual garage sale and make bank.

I'll be praying for you. I pray you'll get all your precious plates, urns, starfish and P.O.O.P.I.E's packed up saftely. I pray your husband will have the mental strength to erect another mantle substitute and TV hider. I pray that all your mistreatment fabric will have a home to show off how they were mistreated. I pray for your toile couch... please bless it won't get scratched or dented, or grease smudged by a moving van... only by little boys gooey hands. And an extra prayer for the Nester. Bless her with renewed strength to pick up, un pack and put up life again... imperfectly and beautifully.

Love you girl,
Pretty Organizer

Remodeling Guy said...

Looks like you'r in for some new fun! Can't wait to see all your new posts showing your great ideas! I'll miss the whole "I've been in that room." feeling though! I guess we'll have to fix that somehow!

Have a great week!

Tim

Jeanne Oliver said...

You have such a great outlook on all of this. I am so sorry that this has happened to you, but it really sounds like it is for the best and that your new home is fabulous! Can't wait to see it.

CurlyQuinn said...

That stinks! That just happened to my sister and brother-in-law. It was awful.
They moved out before they got kicked out as well. Those were some great tips! Thanks for sharing. I'm sure your new "nest" will be great. Can't wait to see what you do with it! =)

Melissa Stover said...

a new house to decorate!?? what an opportunity! can't wait to see it.

Scooper said...

This is why we love you. You stay positive (at least in front of all your bloggy fans) and funny and flexible. And we can all use a lesson in looking at the bright side.

Anyway, I will be praying for you and your sweet family as you transition to a new place. After all, I feel like I know you (and I'm sure I speak for a lot of us in that regard.)

We look forward to being part of the adventure with you. Thanks for your advice, honesty, and encouragement!

Linsey Farley Jameson said...

We uprooted our family and left AZ (where our entire families live) and moved to UT last summer. We loved our rental, loved the neighborhood, loved the area, it was perfect for us and it helped the move feel easier and comfortable. We lived there 2 months when we found out the owner (who was our neighbor and friend) was losing the house. We were sad, frustrated and not sure what to do. Turned out, it was such a blessing. It was the best thing that could have happened. The moving? Lame. The outcome? Couldn't have been better.

Good Luck with the move!

Stephanie said...

Wow that is a blow, isn't it! We are renting as well and hopefully that doesn't happen to us but in this market it is very likely. I appreciate your upbeat attitude! Can't wait to see the new nest! Wouldn't it be great if all your blog visitors were there to help pack and move your stuff!?

Shanna aka Eli n Lucas's mommy said...

How is that for having a positive attitude! Cheers to the new place. Can't wait to see it and hoping for some step by step decorating tips. (Some of us could really use those!)

MJ @ 517 Creations said...

The SAME thing happened to us last June. Except we had a 6-month old and my youth pastor husband was taking his students on a mission trip to NYC at the time! YIKES! Our leasing company was fantastic - refunding our rent for one month and letting us live rent-free for one month - and we ended up buying a home in the same neighborhood. Doesn't make it any less scary, though! I'm glad your situation seems to have worked out, too!

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Thank-you for your incredibly uplifting story. I LOVE it when something good transpires out of something not so good.

Been going through a few tribulations myself lately, so your post helped put better perspective on my own reality.

Thanks! And I canNOT wait to see the new digs and what you'll do with it!

Donna

Little Oak Table said...

You have such a great outlook! Can't wait to see what you do with the new place. You have such a sweet charm about your decorating!

Jamie said...

I'm happy you're making lemonade,but sorry you had to.

Melinda said...

Hey this is happening to us too! In Florida the market is tanking. We know the process takes at least 6 mo and we found out at the end of March. We are sticking it out until the end of June (I want to harvest my garden and let the kids finish school) and then we'll head off for a new adventure, too. I'm glad your troubles are turning into blessings. I hope ours do too.

Diana@TheDevineHome said...

When God closes one door He opens a window but it can be hard to crawl thru, huh? Exciting that you have found a new and even better place - hopefully you'll save money AND have lots more to blog about!!

Woman Interrupted said...

You clearly love to torture yourself with all that moving...glad it didn't come as a shock! good luck!

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

Wow. You are so sweet to all of us. How amazing that you're able to share what you've learned with us AND we are along for the ride as you decorate your new place!

Good luck and good job finding the silver lining.

Lori said...

Things happen for a reason. I always have to look at life like that. Even if the things are bad pretty soon you'll look back and say, "That was the best decision we ever made."
Good luck in the new place and I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Anonymous said...

Nester, we are moving into a rental (we sold our house and lost all our equity). To protect ourselves from this happening, we have asked (in our lease so it's a contractual obligation of the owner) that the owner provide the monthly mortgage statements to us so that we can verify that they have been paid.

If the monthly mortgage statements indicate that the owner is not paying, we released from our obligation to pay any further rent - but can stay until we get the same notice that you did from the sheriff. Which can take months and months in some cases.

Normally it's the owners who bear the risk in a rental situation - I think in this economy, it's the renters who risk the most.

Good luck - I can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve for the next house!! Hang in there! :)

Unknown said...

I am so sorry this happened to you. I think God wants you to take every possible home and put your "Nester" stamp on it. Girl, if I lived close, I would come help you move myself. You are a blessing and so wonderful to see the positive in every situation.

Cynthia

Kasey said...

Great attitude. I can't wait to see pics of your new house.

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

Loving you from the midwest, Ms. Nester. Love your perspective, as well. I'm sure you didn't come by it easily, yet we all get to benefit from it. Many blessings on your newest adventure.

Always reading, not always talking,
Karin

Donnie and Kristi said...

Well then, CONGRATS! We're in the military, so moving is nothing new to us either. It really if fun though to move into a new home. It's like a blank canvas, and lucky for us readers, we'll all benefit from your move too!

Kelli said...

Praying for an easy transition!!

Just me~Bobbie Jo said...

I am so sorry to hear this is happening to you and your family. You do have a good attitude about it! :) Can't wait to see the new place.

Terri said...

I am SO sorry this happened to you! But, we know that all things work for good! We have also been renting, but had wanted to move to a better area for the schools. (I know you homeschool, so that is less of an issue for you.) All last summer I hunted and hunted to no avail. In August, just before school started, I finally gave it to the Lord and figured that we just needed to stay put for whatever reason.

The same day, I got a notice in the mail from our leasing agency that we had 3 months to move. Later that same day I found our current, wonderful, beautiful, large, in-exactly-the-right-place rental on Craigslist! A few months later, the first house was indeed in foreclosure! I am thankful we were spared any surprises while we lived there. Of course, I hope *this* house doesn't suffer the same fate! We have moved too much.

Can't wait to see your new digs! I know you will inspire us as you get settled. Blessings!

Mrs. K said...

I love your attitude. You show us each how to graciously accept situations that are out of our control.

This is a fear I am living with right now. We rent from my MIL but my husband has been out of work for 9 months so we've been unable to pay rent for about 6 of those months. I worry about how she is paying the mortgage but, like you, can't spend my energy worrying (not to mention scripture tells me not to).

I'm excited for you that you are excited to move!

Unknown said...

Girlfriend, I am so sorry that this has happened to you and your sweet family! In true Nester fashion, you are making the best of it! I gotta admit, I'm kind of excited to see how you settle into your new home. How selfish is that? :)
Bless you.

julie & joe said...

Sorry that another change is coming your way. I am so glad that you are looking forward to teh adventure....attitude is everything :) Good luck!

Nancy @ Live love laugh said...

I am so sorry to hear of this, but you are "something else" to look at the good side...wow-very inspiring...good luck and I will be reading every day for news...

The Writer Chic said...

Wow.

First of all, you go, girl, for finding the silver lining. Just think of all the blog posts you'll be getting to write as we all eagerly wait for pics and details about your new home.

Second, I'm so glad you wrote this post. My inlaws are going through this, but on the OTHER end. They are the landlords, and....well, it's just so hard all around, and I really, really appreciate your graciousness to your landlords in giving them, to a degree, the benefit of the doubt.

I'll be thinking of you, and especially praying for your boys as they relocate again.

Runner Mom said...

Bless your precious heart!! I am so sorry! But, you get a new place to decorate!! I'll be thinking about y'all!

Hugs,
Susan

Brenda said...

Oh I'm so sorry! I never even thought about such a thing happening. You have a great attitude about it (I know...you've already been through the hard stuff). So tell me, do you come from nomadic roots? :)

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Oh, Nester, I am so sorry this is happening to you, BUT I can't imagine how inspiring you must be to people going through the same thing right now. You have such a great attitude!!! :) You're right, on the bright side, you'll have the adventure of decorating a new home. P.S. I don't know what state you're in, but in Virginia, the homeowners are listed on public record--all it takes is a trip to the courthouse to find out. :) Just in case you ever wanted to contact an owner re: purchasing the home or something. :)

Wendy said...

All I can say is wow!! You are amazing. Good luck in your new place, and I can't wait to see how you make it your own.

L said...

YEAH NESTER - a new place to decorate!

Accentuate the positive. God is in control and has a plan and purpose in this.

Hugs,
L

Melissa said...

Wow! I pray that blesses your family and your new home!

Many Blessings,
Melissa

BlueCastle said...

I'm sorry this happened to you, but I am excited to see your new place and what you do with it. :) God bless you and your family.

chiara said...

Great that you were prepared for it - this economy is crazy (and not in a good way). At least it isn't YOUR house in foreclosure - I swear, it is better to rent these days...

Precision Quality Laser said...

Wow...that is just awful! You are WAY more gracious than I would have been in your situation.

I hope your new home is ten times more fabulous than the first!

Blessings!

Kathy said...

oh...that stinks!
We live in Vegas...and this is happening to far too many people.
I'm sending your post to a friend that this just happened to...
I hope you enjoy your new home!
and still secretly wish you could come out and beautify mine!
kathy

Meredith said...

No way! I hate this for you!

This happened to my aunt and uncle (a doctor) who had, for some reason, prepaid their rent by 6 months. All lost.

edie said...

You even face adversity with grace and style. Selfishly, I know that we will all benefit from the 'nesting' you are sure to do in your new place. I wish I lived closer and me and my new kitchen would bake you some homeade bread!

Much love and many thanks for sharing with us today!
Muwahhh!

Anonymous said...

I am clutching to my bosom (cyber-spacially-speaking, that is, but if I were there I WOULD DO IT FOR REAL, GIRL!) I'm so glad this has worked out for the best, but I know the stress leading up to it has been the pits. Much love, lotsa prayers, and grins to you! (And don't forget the clutchin' -- it's one of my spiritual gifts!)

Pam said...

Wow! I was going to say that I'm so sorry for you, but then it sounds like a blessing. So, yay! We had something similar happen when we were renting. Our landlady told us one day that she had sold the house and that we had 30 days to be moved. The first feeling was panick, but God worked it all out. We actually bought a much nicer place than we were living in, in a much nicer town. And our mortgage, insurance and taxes are all cheaper than we were paying for rent.

Wishing you a happy new adventure,
Pam

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

Seriously, you are amazing. I admire your positive attitude and the spin you're putting on the whole thing! What a great example you are to anyone going through hard times.

Can't wait to see the new digs. I hope you are blessedwith lots of windows (actually, that is pure selfishness on my part).

Hugs to you & your sweet family!!!
~Amanda

Leigh Ann said...

Wow, what a great attitude you have. Glad it is working out better than you could have hoped. God is so good. Looking forward to the new place.

Jessica said...

This same exact thing happened to us last year. We had 30 days to find a new home to rent. It was a nightmare! But looking back it really wasn't so bad...but still, I just wish people would pay their bills!

Kerry said...

I secretly glad you're secretly glad because this means you'll be full of more ideas. I hate that this is happening to you and your family and hope you have great friends to help you move. :)

Suzi K said...

What a pain. But exciting too! I pray that happens to us!

~Emily~ said...

omg! I'm sorry! We are renters too and I'm nervous...

Kimberlee said...

I love your positive outlook on this! So glad that you found a place you like even better - can't wait to see new pics. :D

Unknown said...

My prayers for a 'good' move are with you and yours. I am sure you are an inspiration to many in these difficult times. Can't wait to see your new photos (please) with new room arrangements etc.

Emily said...

My church is in the middle of that same problem. The owner got overextended financially and is in the process of bankruptcy.
It's a terrible place to be for all of us.

Anonymous said...

Ooooooh, Nester! I'm so sorry.

But I gotta tell you, I am so anxious to see the new place! Love your style.

mary

Heather said...

You're so positive and I'm impressed with your attitude. Talk about making lemonade out of lemons. Good for you! I hope your next place works out better. You're so right- moving beats the heck out of getting kicked out on a random day. Here's to taking some control of the situation!

Ali said...

I am so sorry to hear this happened to you! Unfortunately, it's happening to quite a few people these days. One of my good friends found out when someone came through the neighborhood putting flyers on doors for an auction that weekend. The home being auctioned was the home they were renting. My SIL, came home from giving birth to baby #7 and found the notice on their door. It was 5 days before Thanksgiving. Nice.

I went online and searched how to found out if your home is in foreclosure and was able to find out the home we were renting was paid for through a trust fund. It's amazing how much you can find out online.

Best wishes to you and your family. What a stressful experience. So glad you found a house you are excited to live in, and it's great that you're keeping your goal of eliminating debt a priority. Looking forward to seeing your new home and being inspired by watching you pull it all together. Remember to breathe sista, and a little bit of chocolate helps too. As I always say, it IS cheaper than Prozac!

Kasey said...

everything is going to happen for a reason, and it's going to all work out in the end.
xo

My First Kitchen said...

As Kaz just said, that's beat up. I'm so sorry that's happening! For real though, your attitude is quite inspiring.

Anonymous said...

Hey Nester~
Great attitude! You never really know what is going on in 'someone else's backyard'. I am preparing to move soon as well, due to some unpleasant life circumstances and am having an AWFUL time finding something that I can even feel excited about...how do you find such great rentals?
Janae

Stephanie said...

I am glad you found a house you are looking forward to living in.

Dawn said...

I am so sorry to hear about this!! Kudos for the positive attitude. God bless!

Jen said...

Nester,

So sorry that you are being forced to move on to greener pastures! Thanks for being so positive about it and we can't wait to see what you've got in store for the new place!

Becky E. said...

Can't wait to see the new place! I'm sure it will be beautiful.

Kim said...

are you serious?? This is just crazy! God love you for finding the good!

haha

Tamara Jansen said...

OK, you're FABULOUS! Wanna work in a greenhouse during the spring rush with us? It's good to have people who can look on the bright side during times of stress :)

Carrie said...

I'm excited to see how you will find new ways to decorate!!!!

Kelleigh Ratzlaff Designs said...

WOW! My heart hurts a little for you, but I am so glad to see that you are secretly happy. Just think about all of the adventures you will get to share with us while you make your new home your nest!

Southern Savvy said...

So sorry to hear that you have to deal with this but your attitude is absolutely inspiring! Unfortunately, this situation is a common occurence in Florida. It's very sad and I hope that this market turns around very soon!

Jenny said...

Can't wait to see the Tour De Rental 2009. Your blog always makes me smile.

Our Journey to Africa said...

What a beautiful rental! Can't wait to see pics of the new nest! Good luck with the move!
~audrey

kristi_runwatch said...

I'm so sorry to hear about that. :( Hope your move goes smoothly and you feel settled into your new nest soon!

ammy said...

The same thing happened to our family. We moved here to Charlotte from CA and not even six months into our lease a man came to the house asking for the owner and something about being behind on the mortgage. Our property manager also vaguely gave me answers. We got out of there fast and now we are renting again praying the mortgage is being paid! God is faithful and took care of us every step of the way. No secret-I love the current home far better and am thankful it happened.

Randa said...

Oh man, I can totally relate! The same thing has just happened to us as well. I've rented this house for 15 years. As you experienced, we received a ton of official looking mail and several phone calls.

We were able to contact the landlord and he said that he was trying to re-negotiate the terms of his loan. We let it go ... until about 2 weeks ago when we found an auction notice for the house for May 7th!!

I contacted him again today and he said that he was able to re-negotiate the loan over the weekend, so the auction has been canceled. WHEW!! However, we're ready to buy and are currently looking. It's nice to know, though, that we don't have to rush.

Hope everything works out well for you!

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

I was so relieved to read the end of this post. I feel terrible for you guys, having to move again is really sucky. I'm glad you ended up finding a good place to live though and are seeing the bright spot in the situation. You go!

~Michelle

Kristen said...

Wow! How crazy is that. But I can't wait to see what you do to jazz up the new place. Hope you all are doing well!

Abby said...

Oh, my! That is just play awful and I am so sorry that this happened to y'all. Prayers and love your way!

Anonymous said...

You've got a great attitude. I thought about it, and you are so right, though. I mean, if y'all hadn't been smart about managing your debt and paying it down, it could've been you facing foreclosure. Better them than you, not to wish them ill, but, you know -- perspective.

ByHISgoodGrace said...

I love your attitude about all of this. And, I'm glad you'll be secretly happy this happened! Looking forward to seeing your new adventures in your new home.

Karol said...

Nester,

I love you. Even though we have never met in person, I love you. Please know that.

Love,
Karol

Shannon @ Silver Trappings said...

Wow, I'm sorry. But God always has a plan. Can't wait to see what new projects this will bring.

Shannon

Beth said...

Oh wow! I am sorry this happened! But I'm happy that you have found happiness in your new adventure.

I pray everyday that I don't have to worry about that. I, too, am a renter. So far, I haven't had any cause to worry. The owners are using a leasing company, so I am thinking we are pretty safe.

I am looking forward to seeing what you find and thanks for the tips! I will bookmark them, just in case.

xoxo

Paddywack Designs said...

I love your attitude... I also think there are new laws in place ensuring that renters can't be immediately evicted because of all the choas that is happening right now in the country... I can't wait to see what you do at your new place.

Anonymous said...

Being a military wife, I dreaded the inevitable move every two or three years. Having to leave a home we were settled in with schools the kids were happy in - well, this story reminded me of that time in my life.

That said, the excitement of a NEW place, with new adventures and meeting new friends always cushioned the blow of the move. We never made a move that we weren't happy about it in a month or two.

I tend to get bored fast and the moving certainly kept life interesting!

Don't fight it - embrace it!

{sue} said...

I'm so sorry this is happening to you! You have SUCH a great attitude. (And great that you are able to be proactive and not have to get out in a hurry.) I feel like I know your house so well that I am moving too. (But I get to sit and not pack any boxes and stuff, so really, I have the much better deal. :-))

But I am looking forward to seeing you decorate a new place and I'm glad you found something that will, in the end, be better.

Thinking of you and passing you some virtual coffee for all those late nights you have coming up.

Richella Parham said...

I am so proud of you. You do a great job of giving us glimpses into your life, but this is more than a glimpse. This is a real look into a big challenge. You could have used your blog to whine about the situation. Instead, you're using it to share honestly and then to inspire us! You have a very generous spirit--and that is one of the big reasons that your home is not your house. Of course you can take your family to a different tree, or a bush, or under the eaves of a building--you take your nest with you!

J.J. said...

Many hugs to you. Sorry I just got around to reading my fav blogs.

You are a great example of how to haldle stressful situations!!!!!

Thanks,

JJ

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Without reading all the comments posted ahead of mine...I know someone has said this...you are now officially the Queen of turning lemons into lemonade! You're my hero! Selfishly, I'm excited just thinking of all the amazing opportunities for new ideas, problem solving techniques, fantastic projects and beauty the Nester will be bringing us in the days of head...a whole new nest to play in! What an inspiration and role model you are for you sons!
Susan

Victoria Hayden said...

Thanks for the great information! I would say I am sorry you are having to move, but it sounds like you have embraced the idea and are ready for another adventure in a new home. We are military and never know when things could change. We lease our home through a company as well, and I guess I didn't put to much thought that this could happen to us too. We bought one of our homes when we lived in Utah, and then had to move to Ohio sooner than thought. We had to sell our home and it sat longer than we would have liked. From that time on, we decided renting would be the best until we know we could settle. At this point I am very glad we are renting~just found out a month ago we will be moving again much sooner than planned...like 2 yrs sooner! We do love the home we are in and have been blessed to have such a great price on it and size. At the same time, I am looking forward to moving again and thinking about the new design and how I will decorate. I think being able to live in so many places has been a great thing as well. I now know when we do plant some roots we could design our home with the implementing alot of the homes we have lived in and take those things we loved. I send you warm wishes and good thoughts that you will have a great move and love your new home as well!

Hugs to you,
~victoria~

Girly Stuff said...

I never thought you really liked the house anyways. It was the windowless sink I'm pretty sure.

Can't wait to see God's plans for you guys in the new house.

Is it closer to your parents?

Terri said...

I just emailed the link to your post to my husband. He has been working in the foreclosure field for the past year and started spouting off all kinds of info when I told him this morning about your situation! So I hope he will give some of his input in your comment section. He mentioned something about the lender sometimes paying tenant moving expenses.... Blessings!

Candy said...

I really stinks this is happening, but you have such a great attitude! And how awesome that you've already found another house?! I cannot wait to see what you do with it!

Heathahlee said...

I can imagine the "Oh, no, not again!" thoughts, but I'm so glad you are getting excited for the move.

Juice said...

Thanks for a fantastic post! Great mix of practical advice and encouragement. I LOVE your attitude! What a testimony!

Karen said...

Oh wow, Nester, wowie. I can't believe this is happening to you. Your spirit is incredible, because I think I would go nuts under the circumstances. Bless you and your journey and I hope the move is great and that it is an easy transition for you and your family.

Can't wait to see the pictures, and I honestly hope this change lowers your stress in the big picture. I am so sorry but it sounds like you are going strong. Way to go!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

What a bummer for you guys! But it sounds like it will be a better fit in the end...and hey, at least you will know that your rent is actually, you know, paying the mortgage. Do you mind me asking how you go about finding a rental? Where do you look (paper, Craig's List, etc.)? What are your criteria? Just thinking that might be interesting and/or helpful for anyone on the other side of the game...renting a house to potential tenants. I imagine you guys would be just about the perfect tenants...making the house look better than it eve had before! :)
Carrie

Amber said...

What an encouragement it is that you were able to keep a positive attitude and perspective in the midst of this stinky situation! I HATE moving, dread it, and don't know if I would have had quite as positive of an outlook. I'm excited for you that you found a new place that you are looking forward to living in and that you think will be an even better fit for your needs! Can't wait to see peaks into how you transform your new digs!

Hopechest Bride said...

Positive prayers and positive thoughts are coming your way. I can't wait to see your new "Nest".
Blessings
Lisa

The Pretty Neat Company said...

Oh I feel like you just moved!! I have friends who can't sell their home and/or the bank won't do a short sale even though they are trying to do the right thing and area stuck. They are being advised by people 'in the biz' to take it off the market and rent it. The average they are saying is 18 months since there are so many foreclosures (I am in Florida). They have been told to take the rent for 18 months and play it out . . . I have tenants in my home that I couldn't sell when we built 2 years ago and can't imagine doing that but if things got tough I guess I can see how the rental would be the first thing I would look to as a fix. I'm so sorry you are in a mess and think it's great you are sharing your experience and passing on what you have learned!

Marcy said...

Thank you for your honesty - and your integrity. You have style in so many ways!

blessedfamily said...

Just went through this same thing...although a sheriff didn't come to our door. We received a postcard in the mail from someone who wanted to rent the house until the foreclosure processed, LOL. Our leasing company didn't have a clue which to me was quite strange as they have access to tax records.

We were already looking to move as our lease was about to expire, however I had inquired on staying at that property for another 6 months. We found another house that we like...has plenty of room to run, play and grow. It also helps that it's 14 minutes to work and less than 5 minutes to our son's school! Yaay! I love blessing in disguise!

God Bless!

Kathie Shandro said...

So sorry for your experience, but thanks for an excellent blog on renting a foreclosed house. This is one of the best overviews I've read.

I'm a Realtor in Colorado, and I've helped renters that are losing their homes in foreclosure. A few of your observations were key:

1. Call a knowledgeable Realtor and see how she might help. In Colorado, I can research foreclosure records and discover the Sale Date, when you'll have to be moved. I also help renters contact their landlords. For some reason, landlords are more responsive to Realtors than renters.

2. Don't place blame. The landlord is losing a significant financial investment; there must be a serious underlying reason.

3. Find the bright side and keep your eyes focused on this "opportunity" to experience change. And try to smile, though it's not easy.

The Birds Nest said...

I can really relate. We moved 3 times in less than three years. One rental said they were selling the house and gave us 30 days to find a new home. Moves are exhausting and expensive. The home horror stories that I could share with you...I need to come to visit and we could share our miseries with each other. I have learned so much along the way. God is never late, rarely early, always right on time. I try to remember that, even though it is hard. I live fairly close, so let me know if you need anything.

AmyLynn said...

Well I for one can't wait to see what you do with all of your new windows. I will say a prayer for you and your families safe landing!
~AmyLynn
Brambleberry Lane

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

Thanks Nester for having the courage to post about this. What a tough time for everyone. I will definatly keep your family in my prayers. I love that you can get through this with amazing class and style and you bet your boots that I can't wait to see your new digs and all that you do in it!

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Wow, that just stinks! What a shock, I'm sure!! Hope you find a place you LOVE.

momof3girls said...

you have the best attitude - and you are so open to share this experience with us all here in blog land!!! Thank you and I hope you and yours are blessed! I can't wait to see the new home and all that you do to it!

Anonymous said...

You have such a wonderful attitude about this! This is probably why you seem to be such a happy person. Can't wait to see your posts of your next beautiful home! I'm so glad you homeschool so your boys will not have that aspect of their lives changed.

Glidewell Family said...

http://glidewells.blogspot.com/2008/01/evicted.html

We feel your pain.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry that your family is going thru this. I have to say that we are one of those homeowners who is going thru the short sale process to avoid foreclosure. We actually had renters in one of our properties. Yes, they paid the rent on time every month. But unfortunately we had one of those adjustable rate loans that kept going up every few months. It got to the point that the rent was not covering the amount of the mortgage payment and the mortgage company would not accept partial payments. Oh its a total nightmare. We let our tenants know what was going on and they moved out. I dont think there are any hard feelings because this is not something we were trying to do to get over on anybody. I will just be glad when this whole mess is over with. Best of luck with your move. I just love your blog and I visit daily!!!

Milehimama @ Mama Says said...

This happened to my friend - she was given 72 hours to move out (and find a new home and pack and everything else!)

I rent, and I got paranoid. However, one thing that gave me peace of mind is that you can view property tax records (they are public domain) and most are online. You can see if your landlords are current on their taxes (Look it up by county, then by name or address.) In our case, our landlords own and rent out two homes, and I was able to see that they were current on taxes. I also know that they were current on HOA dues.

«Oldest ‹Older   1 – 200 of 206   Newer› Newest»