Plates, architectural pieces, mirrors that reflect something pretty, and layering are all tricks that I use to help warm up bare walls. This is extra important when you are renting and have plain white walls.
You can mix shutters, shelves, plates, iron work, photos, favorite finds and framed art all together for a more eclectic look. Remember, there really aren't any rules and the decorating police are not gonna come arrest you for mixing stuff up a bit. I bet you've got stuff laying around your house right now that you could hang on a bare wall.
Large pieces of furniture grouped together can also break up those long monotonous walls of white. If you have shelving, add in some color and texture to keep it fun.
Once I even made a wall entirely of my favorite things. Mirrors, framed photos, plates, birdcages... If only I had had some bird art to complete the look. This is the part where I transition into telling you who DOES have bird art in case you are in the market for BIRDS...


Laryssa from L. Herbert Designs just introduced her newest watercolor creations. And I cannot stop thinking of great places to use these pretties--grouped together over a white dresser all framed in black? Or maybe mixed in with birdcages on the wall? In a little girls room? The best part is that you get to chose what background color you want for your prints so they can go with your decor.


I really like this taupe brown color shown on the the Bluebird Silhouette. You can even pick what size you want 5x7 {$7} or 8x10 {$18}. Laryssa explains all the important facts about her beautiful artwork at her shop. And she's got a whole slew of great stuff to choose from:

FREE ART!
{this contest now closed}
And now, your favorite part--if you need help dressing your naked walls, you can win a set of these Bird Silhouette Prints! You can mix them in with a stuff you already have or fill a blank wall with their enchanting presence. Just leave a comment and make sure there's a way for us to contact you. If you place an order using the discount code: MAY you will get 10% off until June 1st!{this contest now closed}
Bare Walls? Do them a favor and make them a showpiece--it's fun, there are no rules and it's affordable, even if you want to use real art!
136 comments:
Wow!! I would have never thought to do what you did in your last picture. That is GENIUS!!! lOVE IT!
bird prints - awesome - thanks for the chance to win!
how do you hang a door on the wall?
Shut UP! Those prints are beautiful! They would looks so great with a grouping of one in each color. Love them!
Kimba
p.s. I LOVE that one of the items hanging on the wall in that last picture is a knob.
I enlarged the picture in the hopes of seeing a big mess in the mirror reflection like you would see if I did a picture like that.
Lovely post!
Love to win those bird prints. Thanks for the chance to win.
O I could think of a million places for those bird prints! I am still moving the L.Herbert eggs prints around the house. They really just go everywhere! You know... you could give me one less place to put them, when I win this set;)
Thanks for doing another fab giveaway!
<3Laurie
I got so caught up in my comment I forgot to leave my contact info: its laurieclacey at live dot com, Thanks again Nester!
These are lovely prints!!
~Shelly
sell_anna@msn.com
I have a fireplace just BEGGING for a set of those prints to hang over it. (It'd coordinate so nicely with the egg-and-feathers that hang over my bed!)
cristinbock@hotmail.com
I LOVE those bird prints! I would LOVE to win one! And I LOVE they way you hang all kinds of stuff on your walls! : )
love those watercolors - gorgeous! thanks so much!
SO I have a BIG question. I have 2half bathrooms that have that one wall opposite the toilet that the door opens up on. I have nothing on that wall in either bathroom. It just seems awkward. Any tips on what to put there? On one I was thinking of putting up a bunch of small mirrors in different sizes with cute frames. Can't seem to find the mirrors with cute frames that are small and affordable.
Thanks for the giveaway, Nester! Love the new watercolor prints and also love the door on your wall. Great stuff!
Love your walls. Love the bird art.
I still love that blue door! With the chalkboard! Genius!
The bird prints are gorgeous! Love the cardinal. Great idea to hang them with birdcages! :)
Love the bird prints! Just in time to decorate my guest room. Please enter me in your giveaway.
sthomas915@ameritech.net
Oh, I need those for my mom! She loves birds and collects all things hummingbird (they remind her of my grandmother who loved hummingbirds and had hundreds of them in her yard every year-she was even on the news for it). She would plotz over that hummingbird print. Plus, how awesome would I be?
Love the bird prints!
So pretty! I almost painted a bird plate at a pottery party last week. But wouldn't it be great to win the prints anyways? Thanks for the giveaway and have a super holiday!
Great post! And pretty giveaway too! :)
I love that door on the wall. What a great idea. Thanks for the inspiration!
Have a super weekend!
XOOX
Jen
Ooooooooohhhhh, love the wall of your favorite things! What a great collection of loveables!!! :)
Suzanne
I always enjoy looking at the wall groupings that you do. I'm terrible about hanging one big picture in the middle and calling it done. It gets so boring! Now if I won those prints...that would not be boring. :)
Love these! And I love all your great bare wall ideas.
I can think of a few bare spots around here that would benefit from these great prints.
I absolutely love those bird prints! They would look so great in our new home!
What a great idea to group things you love. I'll have to try that. Love the bird prints.
The birds are so great! They could go so many places.Can't wait for more great ideas.
Oooooooh.... I like. I like it a LOT!
...here's hoping!
Wow!!! She is soooooo talented. They are beautiful! I LOVEEE giveaways! Thanks! The door was such a cool idea.
angelastatzer@adelphia.net
I love those prints...so cute!
OH, I really need these for the girls' room re-do!!!!! They will be perfect when I win them.
That's me sending postive vibes. :)
I love the bird prints. I have always had an appreciation for birds, but I never knew what to do with them, decor-wise. These would be a great launching pad for me, a somewhat fearful, very decoratively challenged "I'm afraid of making too much of a statement" kind of girl. For now... :)
I am absolutely in love with all things bird! I love all of the plates and platters you hang all over, and the color of that door is delicious!
I am staging my home for sale...we REALLY need it to sell! These prints sure would dress a bare wall I have. Pick me!!!!
Those are so neat! I like the contrast.
beautiful! please enter me in!
Those are beautiful! I love her work.
They are lovely! Thank you for the offer.
Ooooh, I WUB the bird art! How fun!
candcpixley@verizon.net
Oh my goodness, do you know how absolutely perfect those prints would be for my son's room?! Just the right theme, just the right colors. Love them.
My walls are BEGGING you to just give me those birdies! They are fantastic!
I have builder brilliant white walls and my husband has refused to let me paint anything. So I'm going to go for window mistreatments and stuff on the walls to make up for my creativity being stifled.
I love the bird art. I have been looking for different pieces because the next room I am making over is the living room. I was to do it all natural feeling. Birds and nests and pine cones. That type of thing. I love your blog thanks for the insiration.
How sweet of you to host this give a way! The blue hummingbird print would look great in my daughter's bedroom or office. She loves blue and hummingbirds too! Hope I win, hope I win! Daughter hopes so too!
Oh my gosh, I love those prints!! I also love that door hung on the wall, it is so cute!
sarah@fincanon.com is the best way to tell me I won. :) Wishful thinking!!!
The bird prints are amazing! I'd love a set. :)
katiegirl724@hotmail.com
I would love to win - thanks!
charles and sara at hotmail dot com
ooh ooh - those are awesome!
Love this!
you have my email add....re: Tobacco Road :)
What awesome prints! Great giveaway, too - thanks!
This is just what I was looking for today. I have some birdy plates that need to go up on the wall and this gives me some ideas how to arrange them. Thanks for the tips!
Love your site!! Love those bird pics too.
Love the bird prints! And oh oh...can hardly contain myself - I was blessed this week with several old windows from my friend's 1920's house. I just happened to stop by and she said she was going to put them out in the alley! What? No way...so I calmly and politely asked if I could have them. Do you have any suggestions I could do with them on my walls? There's even a big one the size of a door.
Blessings,
Marie
blog: http://emmacallsmemama.com
email: marie@waltercom.com
I found a door!! On the side of someone's curb, a white bi-fold in almost mint condition! I almost jumped out of the moving vehicle to grab it, but I was driving... We move in August, and I can hardly wait to hang it in our new place! And last week was my first time EVER in Hobby Lobby. Oh. My. Goodness!! Best week ever!
Oops, contact info:
ferreiras3@yahoo.com
My poor walls are bare. I also need to decide what color to paint my walls.
great tips. i am always looking for ideas for bare walls. thanks nester for being my favorite site.
I love all of your amazing wall displays! Those watercolor bird prints are so charming! Please include me in the giveaway. . .
Holly
Yes, please. These are lovely!
FABULOUS! I just asked Kimba for some advice on how to brighten up my paneled walls that my landlord won't let me paint. (he's a goober and has no decorating style, evidently!;)) She gave me some fab ideas and this does too. Plus, how purty would those birdies be on my wall?! :)
The prints are beautiful (covetfull even)
I love the green! Simple yet elegant. Another hit from Larissa.
I was just thinking today that I need to do something with some of my bland walls and then low and behold you have a post about that very thing today! Thanks for the inspiration!
i love my eggs and feathers and i'm sure i'd love these too!!!
thanks for always showing us such great stuff you "stuff girl"!
I love plates on a a wall. Your pictures are so beautiful, and give me confidence that if you like it, it has to look good. :) Last year I posted some pictures of my living room and dining room - where I had groupings of plates on my wall - on Rate My Space. Boy did I get some interesting comments. There are a lot of people who think plates are only for eating off of. :) I'm not one of them, and now I see I'm in good company.
I love Laryssa's art! I have ordered quite a bit from her, and it is even better in person. Thanks, Nester, for introducing us to such a wonderful talent! Oh, and I'd love to win! Thanks for the oppportunity.
Blessings,
Tonya,
The Fruitful Vine Lady
I like free stuff - an I LOVE your blog! Please enter me.
Ah, inspiration, just what I needed before a long weekend re-decorating my bedroom!
awww! My family room needs these!!
Hooray for a birdie giveaway! These prints are darling!
Thank you so much for the chance to win. I love the bird prints. The hardest part would be deciding which of my bare walls would get the dressing up. : )
We just painted the family room (tried for Tobacco Road -your blog suggestion-and ended up with SW Restrained Gold-and I do like it) and now I am hesitating about hanging art and family pics. That first nail in the freshly painted wall-oooh!Perhaps NEW art would inspire me! I love all things bird!
---If you have time, please go to my blog and see my other dilemma! Thanks!
~Nancy
Your blog is such an inspiration!
Love the bird prints! Thanks for the giveaway!
I think those bird prints would look wonderful with a tan background in a black frame.... and perfect in my home! Cute idea for artwork, she is so creative.... and of course so are you with all of your genius wall art ideas!
~M
Enter me - my sister loves birds. And her birthday is coming up...
I'd love to win and give them to her as a gift..
Love the new prints! I JUST got the other set hung on the wall!
I <3 birds & these watercolor prints are so fun & refreshing! I always find the best creative inspirations at your nest...thanks for all of the great wall grouping ideas!
i've been reading you for a few weeks now. I feel "inspired" to spruce things up (lost all hope, long story) thanks for the chance to win something. I do love birds!
I visit your site all the time, but I rarely ever comment. {I don't know why?} But those bird prints. Those bird prints. They compel me to comment. And I never ever win giveaways, but again those bird prints compel me to comment and to enter.
I love these! My favs are the hummingbird and the bluebird.
Thanks for all the great ideas you give us.
Love the bird prints. On my wish list for sure.
I love the cardinal!
I love the bird prints. Thanks for the chance to win.
Marjorie
mbudrow@yahoo.com
Loving it!
You are a new find for me, and I am loving it! Thanks!
I love your blog. I always feel inspired when I flutter by.
I would love to try these in my MBR.
jennifer AT cooperado DOT com
Every one of your pictures is breathtaking! I would so love to hang a door above my couch, but my husband is convinced we will decapitate one of the kids. (The door I have is a regular, pretty heavy door - I went back to show him your post and realized yours is a bifold... so now I'm on the hunt!)
And the bird prints? Love!
Lots of fun ideas!!! ...and the bird prints are fab :)
Thanks for all the great ideas and the giveaway! The bird prints are fabulous!
sylviarj at yahoo dot com
Those bird prints are cute!
Oh I heart those!
I love the Nesting Place! Great blog-so much fun to visit it every day! I love the bird prints!! Also, thanks to your inspiration...I just got my first decorator table. It was THE perfect space filler! It looks great with some favorite fabric as a topper!
I love your "Favorite Things" Wall. That's so cool.
I have got to have these! Too cute!
Thanks for the chance to win. :)
My Mom got some birs prints from Laryssa and I am soo jealous! These would make the perfect addition to my new home!ammagallanes@att.net
I am always at a loss when confronted with a bare wall...but I think I could just manage with those beautiful bird prints! LOL!
Would love to win...
Lampjeenie(at)yahoo(dot)com
Ms.Daisy
I love original art! Beautiful stuff!
Ooooh, very pretty! Those birds would look beautiful nesting at my home!
teresacline2001 at yahoo dot com
I'd love a birdie!
I love free art! Awesome!
I really like those bird prints!
Thank you for answering my Q on Kimba's post about the ugly air conditioner wall. I love your idea!! We could find shutters and attach them to the frame we built for the box cover. Genius! Thanks!
~Nancy
Oh my golly - amazing! Beautiful! I love them!!!!!!
I love using architectural pieces! My favorite is using old ceiling tin (which has a great patina to it....a "chippy" white color is what I look for at our flea market) and put a simple wood frame on the back (so it is not visible from the front) and use it as a panel on the wall. So simple, yet such a nice touch to the wall!
I love the two sweet eggs together print.
Love the prints! Holly
bhc-law(at)juno(dot)com
Great inspirations!Jen
maybe i'm too late. but if not, enter me in the drawing. thanks.
apriljnelson[at]hotmail[dot]com
just wondering how to hang a door on the wall thanks
craftejen@yahoo.com
I am in love with this new line. We just moved into our house and I keep changing things around and trying to figure out what to put on some of the walls. These would be perfect for one of the walls. Oh please Nester, please pick me!
Wow - another great post from The Nester. I love this! Especially bird prints since I adore cardinals being an NC girl! Would love to win, hint.. hint...
liseatthelake@yahoo.com
Love the prints! I also love your door on the wall!
joshandjenr@yahoo.com
Can't find my comment, so I'll comment again.
Love those prints and the post today. Always talented and helpful!
I hope I win. I love them!
Terri
fallingleaves58@att.net
Love your wall ideas. And I love the bird prints, too.
Love anything that has birds in it!
I just painted my living room and was trying to decide what to hang over my sofa,, these would be great!
cebbird@yahoo.com
Would love to have one of these!
I love the birds!
I never tire of seeing that word on your wall!
Love those prints!!
Beautiful new designs!
A GIVEAWAY? ART? I have bare, empty walls and I need artwork soon. I have been strongly drawn to bird art lately. Not art done by birds (got that on my head a couple of weeks ago) but art displaying birds.
(yes, I need more coffee)
Thanks for hosting, please include me.
Enter me!
Beautiful!!!!
These would be an AWESOME gift for my mom!
All of these pictures are wonderful inspiration. Thank you so much. I love the bird prints. laurie
I love your decorating tips!
Great post - great prints! I heart your blog, btw :)
yay! just ordered four egg and feather prints from Laryssa and they are beautiful...would love to add another to my collection! thanks
ursula at uswood1@optonline.net
My pickle is wanting clean lines but not bare walls. I don't want things to look cluttered...any suggestions?
oh, these are lovely. I saw them on Laryssa's site and had to come try to win a set.
Blessings,
Kimberly
Ohhhhhhh I adore watercolors and especially these adorable little birdies :-)
some great ideas. i like the chalk board, and the bird pics.
Thanks for the opportunity to win something. My mom turned me on to this blog and as a newly married, about to enter grad school 23 year old, I'm always looking forward to new ways to make my apartment a home for my new husband and I!
rstevens@alumni.flagler.edu
Thanks!
Post a Comment