Chandelier Lamp Shades

I am passionate about chandeliers. Love them. Want one in every room, even my closet.


And when I have a chandelier, I like to be able to switch it up a bit with clip on shades. Found that set of 5 hand painted shades while thrifting. I paid less than $5 for the 5 of them.


You can also use clip on shades to liven up a thin buffet lamp. I switched out a plain white shade for this 80 cent thrift find. And I've got two more to spare. I'm now on the lookout for a three arm small chandelier to go with my shades. It that backwards thinking?


Clip on shades. Keep your eyes open for them while you are out. When added to a chandelier they bring instant warmth and character to a room. You might be surprised how simple shades can soften up a dining room. My advice, grab your fabric file and jot down how many lights your chandelier has. Nothing is worse than getting a great deal on 5 shades only to come home and realize your chandy has 6 arms.

32 comments:

Unknown said...

Love your chandys! Is that how you spell that? My only one, in the dining room has glass "shades" that attach at the "bottom" and are open at the top. I wonder if I could take those off and use clip on shades?

Kathi said...

Great find on the lampshades. They look great! I paid $7 for mine on Craiglist - you got an even better deal!

Trish @TheOldPostRoad said...

Love the large gingham.

Kristi~The Slipcover Girl said...

i'm the one that found 5 shades at a yard sale...only to come home and find my chandelier with 6 arms! ugh!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

No backwards thinking in my book. Doesn't everyone start with the shades and then finds the lamp to match? (Well, except for me...I need to get going on finding some chandys. :)

Vanessa Greenway said...

Absolutely beautiful!! You're one lucky gal when thrifiting! Love your decor style!

Beloved said...

Hey, Nester, will you teach us people how to do coffee tablescapes? If you already did, just tell me. If not, please enlighten!
Thank you...

Shell in your Pocket said...

Oh...I love that red gingham...I chuckled with the counting of shades needed~that is something I would do!!!
sandy toe

Still Learning said...

Aha, I have to show my husband this post. I am always switching out not only our shades but chandeliers as well. I have several in our basement that I take turns switching out in different rooms. He always makes fun of me and tells me that I must be the only person who does this. I knew I wasn't alone!!

Jennifer

Kelli said...

Great ideas! Especially jotting down number of shades!!

miss corliss said...

These are adorable! I bought cute shades with the wrong kind of lamp attachment; does anyone know where to buy the clip on part?

Shaam said...

Oh chandeliers are so lovely! I love the shades :)

All the best,
Allison

Texas Preacher Woman said...

Yup! I love your chandys, too! I recently bought a great 10-arm chandy off Craigslist. It was advertised with 10 (smooth) black silk shades, which was just what I wanted. When I arrived to pick it up, it had 10 red silk pleated shades . . . pleated . . . dust? Ugh. Still, the chandy was a bargain so I took it and tried painting the shades black. Hmmm, still don't think I like them, but I am now working on a dress-them-up solution involving -- are you ready? -- toilet paper rolls! If it turns out as cute as I think it will, I'll feature it on my blog later this week!

And all because Nester says, "It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful!" You free me up and inspire me to take those chances!

Meredith said...

Isn't that the truth?!?

Debra Lea said...

Lurker here..love your site! I love chandeliers too and looove changing the shades always brightens it up. I love to switch and change and finding cheap shades are a great way to do it. I really love the ones you found.. Gotta keep your eyes open at lowes bc sometimes they have crazy sales and sell them for under a dollar ea!Love that!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Good tip! I have a chandelier in my dining room, but I don't know if it would look good with shades or not....

Anonymous said...

Love it - I also love switching bulbs - I have a very tight-bodied glass number that has just never looked right with shades - too crowded, but it needed a lift....so I switched the cruddy candle covers for fresh white ones, and used small-sphere round bulbs - cute, cute. It looks like a whole new piece.

I am so glad I found you - I've built my whole career on your philosophy. I consider my job done when my clients don't need me anymore (although I wish they would quit buying all the cute garage sale stuff before I get there).

Cheryl @ a pretty cool life. said...

I love shades on the chandeleir in my dining room. I wish I had the gingham ones in your pic. Where did you ever find those???

Richella Parham said...

Amazing how little details can make such a big difference. Thanks for reminding us!

PollyS marypauline @ stankus dot com said...

Years ago my husband and I looked at a house built by a retired couple. It was to be his wife's dream home. Oh dear each room was huge! Even the bathrooms and closets. The two (humongous) walk in closets had chandeliers. I was charmed, I tell you. My husband thought it was the biggest waste he'd ever seen. So short sighted, that man of mine.
We didn't get the house. Someone outbid us. But those chandeliers in every room still haunt me. Maybe in my next house.

******On another subject. Do you or any of your readers know of a good source for reasonably priced fabric. I need to make coverings for 2 108' long windows. I've tried Craigslist and eBay to no avail.
Thanks!
Polly

The Nester said...

Polly have you tired fabric.com? There's a link in the nester recommends on the front page of the blog.

good luck!

Pauline Wiles said...

I notice that Ballard Designs do a couple of options with 3 arms, although they're certainly not cheap.
And Cheryl, there are some similar checked shades at Ballard Designs also.

Shauna said...

I love chandeliers, and just made the stinkin cutest shades to match my girls room, true "nester style"
theutzfamily.blogspot.com/2009/04/good-bones.html, I made each shade for less than $5.00! It totally made the chandelier to die for. Great post.

Anonymous said...

Your wonderful post prompted me to join in the fun and post about my recent obsession, chandelier shades. Thanks for sharing.

Ashley said...

I need some shades for my dining room chandelier but am holding out til I find a stellar deal.

Pam said...

I love shades, too. I bought a set of 5 from Goodwill for less than a buck a piece. The difference they made was HUGE. When I was there this past weekend I saw that they had more, but I didn't grab them because I already had some. I never thought about an extra set to switch out. I'll definitely grab them if they're still there (fingers crossed) next time.

My platter came from your DaySpring give away yesterday. It's marvelous! Thank you.

Country Reflections said...

A great find on the lampshades! I am another chandelier lover! I just bought a mini one for a corner that needed some extra tlc. Also have a mini one over the sink in the kitchen and have one in the dining room. The shades are a perfect way for a new look!

Unknown said...

I've been crazy over my newly painted pink chandy lately. I put globes on it, but now I'm thinking you are onto something. You're right...you're always right.

Magic Brush said...

I would totally be the girl who buys 5 shades for her 6 chandy arms! Bummer dude.

I have an addiction to chandeliers. My baby girls room and bath have 3 from the ceiling and 2 chandelier lamps. A little on the side of overkill... but I love it!

Great ideas!

Dana and Daisy said...

just in case you put one in your closet, in our little burg, there is a building code prohibiting light fixtures that hang down in closets. Apparently the fear is people will get their wire hangers tangled up in them and become crispy critters.

A Flair for Vintage Decor said...

This is a perfect idea! I always spend way too much on shades and I never usually look for them when I go thrifting! I will now! Take care, Caroline

Leigh said...

I, too, adore chandeliers. I'm trying to get one in my downstairs powder room instead of just the traditional over-the-mirror light.
As far as shades, I even had my contractor saw off the bars around my master bath's light bulbs so I could clip on little shades - looks like a posh hotel!