This was left in the comments yesterday and I cannot get it out of my head:
For the purchases that don't work, and do not get returned, I have found a good solution. I get together with some girl friends once a year and we shop each others impulse purchases. Whatever doesn't go home with someone else we take to Goodwill. It has been lots of fun and unless it's a really nice piece, we don't charge each other, just swap.Well, that sounds like fun! I've gone to a clothing swap before but it was with a pretty small group of women. Help! Have you been to one of these home item swaps before? How does it work? Do people fight over stuff. I can picture a lighthearted hair pull or accidental tripping over a perfectly painted birdcage. Just sayin'. Traci didn't have an email or anything for me to reach her and I've been thinking about this for the last 24 hours.
Traci
I'd LOVE to attend a swap, what could we call it a Get Your Nest on Party? {Insert Catchy Cute Word Here} Exchange? Does someone in Charlotte or Greensboro want to plan this? I would SO come and bring some stuff to swap.
119 comments:
I would come!! I am on the south edge of Charlotte. I don't know that I have a lot to swap (I still need to unpack my garage from our last 2 moves)... I could host... I'd love to host... just for the opportunity to meet you all! What fun. Great idea! Can you tell I am excited?!?! Blessings!
Now that's just flat out brilliant! I could load up my van with a boatload of carp! Wait. Is that possible? A boatload in a van?
Regardleass. Great idea and I'll be there if I can swing it.
Wouldn't it be great if we could do it online? But the logistics of such a thing boggle my feeble mind.
Kimba
Yes, I have done this before, and it's FUN!!! We took all of the items in one room, and waited in another room. We drew numbers, and went in one at a time in order to choose one item per turn. This way there was no squabbling over an item! We just kept taking turns until no one wanted anything else. Whatever was left of what you brought you took home yourself to decide how to sell/donate. Easy-peasy! :)
I'm LOL about the "light-hearted hair pull"! I thought the same thing. Stacey's idea is great - draw numbers and take turns, one item per turn.
I'd love to do it, but I'm all the way down in the Tampa area. Anyone Nesters in Tampa up for some light-hearted hair pulling?
Ok, that should be "any Nesters in Tampa", not anyone nesters....DOH
I would LOVE to go to a swap and I'm in Huntersville! If someone plans it I'll be there!
I haven't attended one yet, but I did here of some cute ways the other day to deicde who gets the item when more than one wants it.
Have a dance off, or some other cute game where everyone picks the best contestant. Or maybe have them list quickly every way they might decorate with a mystery item that you have in a bag for tie breakers such as this. Make it fun!
We've done bookswaps and give out so many tickets per book ie. a big math book might be worth a lot more than a Golden book. Then each item that is to be swapped has a numbers of tickets on it. (It could be as simple as 1 or 2 tickets). So that someone doesn't walk away with all the goodies and someone else is left with the go backs. A bit more work to put together.
Hope this helps. Julie
Nester,
You could do this online. Have everyone email you photos of what they have to swap. Then, post all of the items, assigning each a number. Let people choose what they'd like--then randomly choose the "winners." You could then link people up via email to swap addresses and mail the item to that person. You could make the rule that for each item you put up to swap, you get to choose another item to "bid" on. That way everyone who gives items, also gets items.
What a great idea. I'm in Greenville, SC & I'd love to drive up for one.
Awesome idea! I would love to do that!
Nester is sitting on the couch, all warm and snuggly, telling her little sister readers to plan a swap. See, she's tricky. She wants to come, but doesn't want to plan it. See? She is such a big sister.
And you KNOW I'm gonna be the one to plan it! Yippee!!
This is a fabulous idea. Now you need to wait until the last week in July when I'm going to be in NC on vacation, so I can come too!
I don't know of any in my area (& I'm not in your area) but I'd come to yours!! We're in NC about once/month - I'd make the drive over to your area.
Great idea!
i'll have to move to NC... and we just bought a house here! oh well... : )
Ooooh, my son is in LOVE with Legos! It is his dream to go to Legoland! He even has his own Lego blog: http://thelegogiveaway.blogspot.com
Thanks for sharing the pics, I'm showing him as soon as he gets home from school :)
that really sounds like fun! I would definitely do that - sadly I live super far from all you carolina gals!
I'm in NC, about an hour and a half from Charlotte--I'd definitely be in! I feel certain that my husband and my basement would love for me to get rid of some of those impulse purchases!
I've never been to one but it sounds fun!
I wish I did live close to you...I would swap with you any day..how fun!!!
My husband has had three "greats" pass away..we now have a a basement FULL of stuff...I would love to attend a swap.
sandy toe
oh, how fun that would be!! If it's in NC, it'd be a little far for me, but it still sounds delightful!
Suzanne
We had a clothing swap at my house and it was so much fun we decided to have a home accessories swap. Everyone recieved a ticket for each item they brought. We picked a number to see who went first and the hostess got a first free pick for hostessing. We had the best time and I went home with so much cool stuff. I even picked stuff that still had tags on it. Not that I would ever use this for future gifts! Shhhhhhh
I have been thinking about a swap --love this idea!!
I would soo love to do this! I am on Columbia, SC. I wonder how far you are from me?! I have lots o' stuff to get rid of. Cute stuff too, I promise. :)
It would be cool to if we could do it online as well! I bet it would be super fun as well!
Dang! What a fabulouso idea!
Now...the question is- how do I find others who are interested in such a swap? Anybody in Wisconsin, Iowa or Illinois?
I just suggested this idea to my friends about 2 months ago!
I started a once-a-month craft night where we get together for about 2 hours and do something...well, crafty. Our first night we made your lovely garlands.
Anyway...we all have "stuff" that we love but don't know what to do with them, or we just don't want any more. I am so going to try and get this thing going. I'll let you know what comes of it.
We do that in my neighborhood! We had a huge one in January. It was so big that we decided to have smaller ones every few months for specific things -- like one for only kids clothes, one for books, one for jewelry and accessories. It was great! Good luck!
XOXO
jen
Christy - I'm in the Tampa area - I say we carpool up to NC and go to the Nester's swap - bound to be some great stuff there!!
I would come to this! Not sure if I would want Kimba's boatload of carp. Maybe if it was lobster or flounder, though.
Wish I loved closer but Im thinkin' I could do this here in my area. This is a great idea!
I just read an article about this in the May issue of Real Simple magazine. It included all the how-to's, rules, what's swap worthy, establishing a system to the shopping that's fair for everyone...like if you bring 5 items to swap, then you leave with 5 items. Made me want to do it...especially since I'm moving and I don't want to bring a bunch of unused stuff back into my house. AND I would drive to Charlotte or G-boro!
hey - what about Greenville? You could host an online swap maybe?
Nicole from Mary Jo's
Christy, Looks like three of us are in the Tampa area. You, Lisa and me. Let's make a plan.
Kathleen
Off to read the real simple magazine.
I subscribe to Real Complicated, remember, so I had no idea they've mapped it all out for us!
Emily, I am totally with you. We could so plan and host this thing here in the Boro. There should be a brunch, defintely a brunch. I shall cook and you shall plan and we can let the Nester publicize it.
I love this idea and desire to do one SOON at my house in CA. I hope that it turns out good for you--let us know how you do it! REAL SIMPLE's article is really good--I just read it!
Wish I lived closer! Have you ever read about a "nickel auction"?
I wanna live by you!! I guess Kansas is really too far to travel for such a thing...huh?
I'm going to watch you all, and if it works, and there are no friendships lost, I'll plan one of my own.
I just posted about this yesterday. Can you imagine if it was possible for all of us bloggers to get together? We might have to have the police there...LOL!
LeAnn:)
too funny! I was just running a very similar idea by some friends here in Maryland. I am thinking of doing a swap day this summer, with gals bringing various vintage goodies they picked up but now find they don't need/want (tastes do change, and really, how many silver plate compotes does one need?? _don't answer that!!). Anyway, I will be sure to follow along and see how yours goes :)
Sue
Sounds like a lot of fun! I'm in NC, close enough to come if anyone plans/coordinates.
Have never seen that photo pf Emily and me, but I knew you must've mentioned me because my sitemeter had gone insane.
I will SO swap your meet or meet your swap or swap the decks or whatever. I guess that's SWAB the decks. Whatev. I'm in.
And by the way, I sound like Janis Joplin currently. You are so glad I did not give you this illness Sunday.
Can you move this to Houston? I'll make cookies!!! ;)
To Lisa @ AbidingThere....would LOVE to! Hubby might not be thrilled for me to leave 6 kids with him to go off and pull hair...
Kathleen @ TheBlissJourney....oooh, now we're getting there. Maybe we can have a Tampa swap? I'd be all for an online swap too. Or a road trip to NC!
yep I would be there. I also want nester to look at my living room (just got married, now stepmom and wife and moved into a guy's house) and advise me on how to fix it up for less. it's a mess. contact me ms. nester!!!!
I think that is a fantastic idea. There's nothing better than free stuff.
This would be so exciting! Charlotte might be a bit far for me, but if someone in the Greensboro area wanted to do this, I would certainly come. I'm in Durham, and I'd be glad to drive a bit to do this. Or if you gals wanted to come to Durham, I'd host it. Great idea.
I would definately be there all the way from the Research Triangle Park in NC.
Oh how I WISH I lived close enough to come. I've actually been thinking about hosting one of these for a while. It sounds like sooooo much fun. But, like you, I have a lot of questions about how they would wrok exactly. Could we do it online? How much fun would that be??? I can't wait to read all the comments for more info!
~Amanda
p.s. Anyone in south Mississippi interested? I'll host!
WORK...not wrok.
I'm a dork and don't spell check!
I'm in the raleigh area. I'd love to be involved. Anyone in the area want to have one?? We have friends in Charlotte area that we've been thinking about visiting. Maybe we could crash your swap.
This is a great idea!! I have got to do this in my area. I have a whole boat load of stuff from my home decor store too. Plus some old stuff that doesn't match anymore. I live in metro Atlanta so I bet I could get a lot of people to come. Misti over at Studio M Designs is about 15 minutes away from me. I'll bet she'd jump on that one too. I'd even hostess it. Anyone in the N. Ga area around Canton?
Nester, you and your readers are genius!!
Jennifer
Sounds like a lot of fun! I would totally go to one and I would help plan one too. Did I mention that I do in fact live near you?
What a great idea! I'm in west central GA, but we visit family in Lexington, NC regularly--I wanna come!
Lisa!
cracking me up girl!
I have not been to one of these but I think the Good Lord is telling me I need to. I had recorded Nate on Oprah the other day and when I nestled into the sofa to read my latest Real Simple issue AND watch Nate do his thang. In the exact same moment I started reading an article about how to host a swap party WHILE Nate was helping neighbors organize one on the show. Now Nester is talking about it? It must be fate!
I am in Greensboro area and it looks to me like there are enough people interested to have a "Nest Feather Exchange" - or whatever you want to call it. PLEASE do this!!! It doesn't matter how many come - the more the merry but even 10 would make it interesting. All you ladies out there in different states - go for it! It wouldn't hurt to try it once:)
p.s. It looks like there may be a BOAT load interested in the 'boro, you might should have it in a fellowship hall!
Someone arrange one in SoCal, too!!! What an EXCELLENT idea!!!
Ok, you know that I have actually debated doing this, don't you? Yep, I have...I've studied...have ideas, and you just might be able to convince me, but I haven't read the comments yet, and someone else might have already volunteered, which I would be very glad for as well. :)
I live right outside of Charlotte and would love to come if it was around this area.
I keep thinking I need to do this kinda thing for kids stuff too - I have three boys and it would be so nice to swap toys and movies etc... they get tired of them so fast. So maybe coming to something like this would give me ideas on how to get the other going.
Oh yea - I just read that Emily will plan it...YIPEE!! I just get to show up with my crxx..I mean treasures. :)
I'd come! Too bad I live in Chicago...
I would SO much be there if someone in my area had a stuff swap!! In fact, I might see if sometime in the future I could set one up. I'm not in your area however. I'm so jealous of whoever does come to your swap.
I am in the Orlando area but I would love to participate...somehow....
Online would be interesting.....
I live in Concord. I would love to do this. I have a bunch of stuff to unload on my fellow bloggers.
This is a neat idea too:
http://cultivatinghome.blogspot.com/2009/04/this-i-am-excited-about-tonight.html
pass the bin--found via Like Merchant Ships Tumblr!
I would love to attend one! I live in the Charlotte area also. No, I have never attended anything like this before but it sounds great! Like a yard sale only better!
I've thought of doing something like this myself. Wish I was close enough to attend yours!
I'm in Charlotte as well and would totally come!
I'm in Charlotte! lol, never thought I'd be so excited to say I live in Charlotte. Yay, I want to swap. I've got a few boxes of stuff for a garage sale, but really not enough to wake up at the crack of dawn on a Saturday.
Yes, if there is a swap party in Charlotte-Greensboro, I will be there :)
I'll bring cookies. Yum.
Sounds like a great idea! I have heard of people doing this with their kids clothing.
I live in central florida and haven't heard of any in my area.
We've done this at church. It's fabulous! We call it a HAVE/NEED/Want party. Of course I'd come. Heck, I'd swap someone a plane ticket to Greensboro to get there. Anyone in for a little AZ heat? I'm missing the east coast. Ya'll better watch out for Jen... she's bound to stake her spot in line well before morning hours and may just hurdle over 3 women to get to the best deal! She's a sleek yard sale, swapping thrifty gazelle! Sounds like a hoot. I'll hang out in the tree limbs and take pictures... what a fun fest that will be!
That is such a great idea! I don't live anywhere close to you, so I wouldn't be able to attend one in your area. Maybe you should have a uniformed officer there in case someone comes to blows!! If you do one, be sure to take pix, especially if there is a fight, so you can share with us! laurie
Such a neat idea, I always have so many things I donate to Goodwill or the church yard sale that are still in good condition and look nice, they just no longer work with my decor. I wish I knew more people to get a big group together for something like this.
Anyone in San Francisco or the Bay Area? If yes, I will host!
Leave me a comment at
http://stylestruggler.blogspot.com/
to co-ordinate!
Must get this off my chest, Nester. When I saw June with Emily I knew she was in Greensboro and I'm encouraging her to drop you fast and make me her new BFF. Don't you think we could be a good match. We could entice her to SYTYCD.
What a wonderful idea!!
Sounds fun! We do swaps here at my church, clothes/books, whatever we don't want.
I think the rule in the beginning is you can't take more than 10 things till everyone has a chance to pick through and get want they want. Then after that, you can go back for whatever else is left.
(cuz I have seen people try and take everything!!)
I would SOO come!! I would have it at my house, but since most of you are in NC and I'm in SC it doesn't really work for me to have it. Keep us posted!!
I love the idea!! Would not be difficult to arrange!!
Hi, I nominated you for the One Lovely Blog award! :)
I'm in the Charlotte area & I wanna come! I love this idea!
Our church does that with clothes. The women's bible study & then the youth girls do it every year.
I have been to a swap party just a couple of weeks ago. So much fun! Our hostess had lots of yummy food and an area we all set our tables to display all our treasures. It had to be like new or new and we all drew popscicle stickes in the beginning with a number on it. Whoever got 1 went first and was able to pick 2 items. Then the next person went. While the person was finding treasures she wanted, we all visited until our turn. It was so fun. Anything we didn't get rid of, we took to goodwill or saved for our garage sales. I thought it was such a neat idea! I came home with a big, orange(going to paint white) cake stand, 2 silver trays that i could display candles on from "The White Barn"(price tag still on $15 each!) A brand new set of chopping Knives, a cute travel bag (brand new) and a brand new shirt for my daughter. You must try one~you will love it!
Hugs to you,
~Victoria~
Boo! I'm from NY! If you give me 2 days notice..I'll be there! JK-sounds like fun!
~Nancy
Great idea! I'm nesting on the NC coast but would happily fly the coop to attend a swap in Charlotte!
I've done one. Everyone came over and put all their stuff out on the dining table and the surrounding floor. We had desserts and drinks while looking everything over. Then we drew numbers to determine the choosing order. We kept going and going until people bowed out because they didn't want anything that was left. Everything left over went straight to Goodwill.
If it wasn't huge or extra heavy stuff, you could do it on line and ship things.....really!
My mother & I would participate in Greensboro!!!
Hey - just so you all know, the Nester and I sat next to each other on Sunday comparing our yard sale/trash to treasure outfits. Oh yes, we were styling on our $5 budget ;) Our trash would be treasures. hee hee
So did we decide that Emily is doing this? xoxo
I'm just outside Charlotte also, and would love to be involved. We're moving in August, and I've been trying to psych myself up to do a garage sale, without much success. This sounds like much more fun!
@ Jen:
Those cute, perfectly fitting black pants: The Limited $1 at a yard sale.
The darling ruffled shirt: $2.99 @ the rich people goodwill--I sometimes think people must wear the stuff once and give it away!
I'm only at $3.99 girl.
You looked fantastic!
Would love to do this!
Anyone around the Indianapolis area?
I have hosted a party before. Everyone brought TONS of stuff. We picked numbers out of a hat and the first person got to choose one item, followed by the next and we just kept going. Some people then dropped out of the numbered loop after selecting what they wanted and everyone went home happy.
Okay, I'm leaving another comment. Why? Because I've updated the name of my blog since I left a comment yesterday, and I don't want to be left out. I'm in North Carolina, and I'd love to be included. If Emily ends up organizing a swap as she predicted, I'd be so glad to help! I'll host, I'll come, I'll contribute--whatever. This is such a cool idea, and I'm excited about it.
Sounds like lots of fun!
Gosh dang it! I've never wanted to live in NC so badly before!! {or ever, really, lol}
I hear all you Cali girls in here! I'm with you! I'm in Fresno, so I'm pretty central to the SoCal & SF girls. What to do? We DEFINITELY need to have one!!
I'm in...someone do it, or I'll help, but not plan the whole thing! I'm in Greensboro. I like the number picking idea.
One side not to you and Jen's comments on the yard sale clothes...the entire time Jen was on stage Sunday morning I was thinking "I wonder how much she paid for that outfit? Did she go to Goodwill? If so, she is really good!"
Yay! Emily and Jen are planning a swap party! Woo hoo!
K
If this really happens in Charlotte or Greensboro, I will drive! I am in Columbia (SC). I love this idea and have swapped a couple of things here with friends but never something on a bigger scale.
Okay, sign me up. I will even come from Knoxville. Or better yet, how about a Blissdom Stuff Swap? Wouldn't that be fun.
Any Nester cast off is a treasure to me!!!!
Cynthia
Hello, I just found your inspiring blog and I just adore it. I hope you can visit mine as well.
You're always welcome!
This sounds like a fabulous idea to swap items. Green too!
I live in coastal NC and would like to join if you are close by.
Have a blessed day.
~Warmly, Melissa :)
LADIES....someone hand her a Nobel Peace prize....GENIUS!!!
What great fun! And a terrific way to socialize with friends.
Oh, don't forget to stop by my blog and leave a comment.
I'm celebrating my 4 year anniversary with a drawing for a $25 gift certificate from vinylvineyard at Etsy.
I'd love to participate and I'd love to host.
But.
I would have to have the nester make a house call first.
Let me know--- I'm all chick.
Speaking of Chick... I might could even swing some chick-fil-A door prizes or snacks or whatever.
I'm in tight with the boss man at my local chicken joint you know.
Yes, yes!! I would totally host a party like this. I want to. Unfortunately I don't think we live close. K-zoo, Mi for me!!
What fun- let me know if there is one in Greensboro area! Also wanted to let you know that I got my platter and do love it. I put a picture on my blog. Thanks again!
I wanted to share with you that I read a GREAT article in "Real Simple" magazine I believe it was last month about different ideas for swaps, and it was very enlightening! I highly recommend looking it up on line, or finding a back issue, for it had great pictures to follow up the words
I agree, we could start this online! All we would have to do is set up a free website like on yahoo groups! If you need help, I'd be willing to help you out!
Then people can upload their photos...it would be awesome!
I am also in the area...would love to participate! Let me know the date & place.
regarding the name....what about a play on the bird's name, oh shoot!I can't think of what kind of bird it is...you know the bird that takes over an abandoned birds nest and uses it as it's own???
Just found you through one of your followers, Pamelaknits. She thinks I should send you a word I defined today and thinks it would be good for your spotlight category. I think it SO nice of her to think so but maybe you better look for yourself! LOL
The word is "Decosour" and the post is up right now if you want to link back (if you even see this!). You may not be able to read all your comments. You are one POPULAR WOMAN!!! :)
Oh this would be so much fun! Wish I did not live a million miles away from you all! :o) Can't wait to see the pictures!! :o)
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne
Ps. Wish I had a "rich people" Good Will out this way. Had plenty in CA just not so much in MS. :o) I did buy 2 Gap skirts for $3.99 each the other day at a consignment store! :o)
Would love to participate in a Charlotte swap. I also live in south Charlotte (like Terri, first commenter) I'll bring cookies!
OOOh, I would come in a heart beat! I can think of at least five cute things to bring. Please post if you have one in Charlotte. Love the idea. P.S. your window mistreatments rock my world-as a frequent mover who never thought I could have an ounce of style in my rentals...let's just say you've changed my way of thinkin'! :) Thank you!
I would love to come... I'm in Charlotte near the speedway. How fun would that be.
Not Tired of Swap Meet Stuff but AM tired of BLOGHER stuff!! If we don't blog but do read them then are we supposed to be bored with all that conference junk? Maybe I just don't count since I don't also have a blog? I don't get it.
ok where are you? I am in Raleigh.
I am so inspired to host a home decor swap meet. .
Post a Comment