So, at the risk of running you off, I'll share anyway. Don't hate me because my stuff is beautiful. M'kay?
My friend and fellow yard sale enthusiast, Angela and I found some great junk Saturday. She has an eye for colorful art. You should see her house. Wait, you will, I'm gonna sneak my camera over there really soon.
I fell in love with this 9 light chandelier. Complete with 9 shades still wrapped in plastic. I've got big plans for this $25 find. I don't know if I'll ever pay retail again for a light fixture.
Yard sales are an ideal place to shop for non urgent needs or wants. There are so many wonderful things to be had. We ran across a set of 4 new looking, darling black bar stools. Neither of us needed them but we couldn't help but stand in awe of their price : $20 for the set of 4. There was a glass topped sofa table for $10. And a couponer was selling her excess stockpile of non perishables at less than half the price of the local grocery store. The prices at yard sales are usually much better than that of thrift stores and Craig's list. The only problem is, you never know what you're gonna get.
I'm taking a poll over there in the side bar about buying second hand--where do you fall?
Updated to add this photo to answer Meg's question in the comments:
Want to see even more loot that people found over the weekend? Visit Southern Hospitality for her weekly Monday Treasures linky.
90 comments:
Grea finds.
Wow.. I NEVER seem to find things like that at garage sales... usually just old junk! I did once score a Black Rolling PB desk chair for $20 (in catalogue for 250)
But that is it.
Maybe I need to move.
Or, maybe you need to give us your tips.. are you an earlybird?
I'm with Meg. Apparently I'm not getting up early enough!
Lucky you! We don't hate you just love seeing all great things you can create with all those lovely finds!
Please don't say that people don't care hearing about our yard sale finds...especially since I love hearing yours, and I go on and on about mine today as well. I love the picture of the van. Too fun. And yes...(almost)EVERYONE can find those things - they're out there - early bird gets the worm. :)I have yet to score on a great lighting fixture this year, but I'm looking - the hunt is on.
Holy shamoly - I want that PB cabinet. What a lucky nester you are.
Wow. I'm going to have to train my kids to do yard sales with me this summer. Bribe them with a trip to Krispy Kreme, maybe?
I LOVE hearing about yard sale finds!! I am jealous! I missed out on a big neighborhood yard sale b/c I was having my own. I'm still a little sad about that! :) I need those bar stools!
I LOVE seeing your finds. I need to find some good places around here. I never find anything.
Early is key and you can also find good deals later when sellers are getting tired and hot. I'm really psyched that the weather is finally drying out and the sales are starting up! It's like a fever!
I wish I could find great stuff and better yet-know how to use it in my home!
Looks like you made out!!
Be glad I don't live closer, 'cause I would totally fight you and your friend over your beautiful chandeliers! ;-) Great finds for both of you!
I think you live in the Mecca of fabulous junk.
Our yard sales are full of home medical equipment (think: portable toilets) and hand-painted ceramics with google eyes.
I am originally from the Dallas area and I think Charlotte is right up there ;) When we moved here to VA 10 years ago, I was the only one I knew who painted their walls something other than white!
I might need to take a road trip and visit some garage sales further south :)
I want to know what neighborhoods you frequent because obviously I shop at different ones. I don't think I've ever scored that big.
Actually, some of us do like seeing what you find at yard sales so don't every apologize about show and tell.
We held a yardsale on Saturday at my mom's and by 1pm we put a sign up that said "free...take it if you want it" cause we just wanted to get rid of it.
Nester does it again! What a great bunch of "junk" you got!
I LOVE seeing what you've found!
That chandelier is amazing!
I did you poll and it looks like I'm in the low 75% minority - but I love it!
Loed seeing your yard sale finds...don't ever hold out on us! We love it. I went to 5 this previous Saturday and found nothing. Since I also live in Charlotte, could you please point me to a few neighborhoods you like. (Email address is on profile of blog. Thanks.)
Great finds! Please keep sharing and inpiring!! I took the survey and scored low (1-20%). I really need to boost that number, though. Posts like this are especially encouraging that the effort is worth it. Blessings!
I'm so jealous! I have not really become a "yard saler" but I so want to be! The time....I need the time!
I need those bar stools!! Maybe I should be yard saleing for those.
Looks like you got a lot of good stufff!
BTW, I have already begun asking around and have started planning our "Decor Swap" party around here. It's going to be fun.
Jennifer
I love reading about what others are finding at yard sales. I am TOTALLY addicted to them right now. I had to force myself to drive past one on Saturday just because I had run out of the money I allocated for yard sale shopping. That money thing just keeps getting in the way!
I *love* reading what kind of treasures others find at yard sales! It's my favorite kind of post. I can't wait until Thursday to go! Yes, THURSDAY! haha And I'll probably go Friday too!
Wow! You guys did great! I love the bird cage. You can put it in your new backyard with a potted plant in it or something.
I found a desk and chair for $15 at Goodwill the other day. I was pretty happy over the ugly thing.
~Kim
Oh, yeah! I am a frequent yard sale, thrift store, flea market shopper! And, yes...the early bird catches the worm. For sure.
Very nice finds, Nester!
mary
I cannot believe you got that cage for $10!!!! I would've outbid you if I had been there. It's wonderful. Love the 9 light chandelier, too! Great finds!
What a great birdcage! And an even better price!
Hi Nester! You rock with those finds girl. I couldn't agree more about yardsales. It's like a treasure-hunt every week that I can hardly wait for!!! Kim
I choose to love both of you, but I am so jealous! Great finds and Great post, Nester.
Karol :0)
you must live in a better area than me - our garage sales dont have anything nice at them - just lots of beanie babies!
I need some yard sale tips!
I just posted about this. I always feel like I have to buy something when I go to one. Help! LOL
Ya'll always find the best stuff!
I'm jealous of your finds! I need to come yard saling with you guys. All I ever find is old dusty knick knacks and piles of old worn clothes when I go to yard sales. I have better luck at thrift stores.
Unfortunately our hoity toity town does not allow yard sales. But there are several thrift stores that I plan to visit soon! I like seeing your super finds!
What great finds! That birdcage will be marvelous in your collection...the chandelier is exquisite, it looks like you got a roll of fabric that you didn't mention too! Do you ever have to "get rid of" stuff before you bring new treasures in?
I LOVE the chandy's~BOTH of them!! What awesome finds you got!! My son will go with me to yard sales and we LAUGH ALOT!! Some are "sketchy" as he calls it, but we do hit the mother lode sometimes!!!
Thanks for sharing and don't stop!! It motivates me!
Lou Cinda :)
Well, you already know how I feel about yardsales. :) And today just posted one of my thrifty chandy finds too. Most ALL of my fixtures have come from yardsales, but it took 3 years to change them all out. One at a time. You got some great stuff! But, then I'm not surprised, cause I get some great stuff too. All the time. Yardsales rock!!
What great finds, I am envious. I havn't done the garage sale route yet, but you sure are tempting me. I love the GW, but not the great things I see in your van. Keep showing your treasures, I love them. Hugs, Marty
Great garage sale finds, and please do keep posting them and then showing us what you do to them.
I am starting to get back into garage sales now that my babies are not babies so much any more... if need be much easier to take them with me and both are almost to the point of being able to buckle themselves back up...
I am on a major decluttering kick and wonder if a lot of other people are too? and then I wonder if that is what is making all the great opportunities out there. I have to admit I use to buy just because it was a great buy but now if I do not have an actual use for it, it is not going home with me. . . hope all that made sense. ..
have a great week. . .
You did great! I've found a few Southern Living @ Home items the past two weekends. I can't ever get out of the house before 8 or so though--I have to take a 3 year old and a 16 month old with me. ;) I linked to Rhoda today too! :)
Good for you! Those are some fantastic finds. I don't usually have much luck at garage sales, but I swear estate sales and flea markets are better than TJ Maxx...and I love TJ Maxx.
I'm glad you had a fun weekend.
Fantastic finds! The file cabinet is a real treasure. I would so love to find one. I need to get out to yard sales more frequently! Currently,I need to get rid of some of my "collections" in the basement. And, I am working on that but not today! The weather here in Missouri is won-der-ful!
Thanks for sharing.
Charla
You must live in Garage Sale heaven somewhere. I've never seen such fantastic finds. Great job!
That chandelier is Awesome and 25.00 wow , i want it. lol. mishelle
Love all your yard sale finds.... Don't stop sharing. I didn't get to go on Saturday and really missed it.
How is the moving or better yet, how is the packing?
Cynthia
ok - so you won for the best finds! These Texans down here dont sell such nice things- you really have too look past the beast to see the beauty. Awesome stuff!
Wow. Just wow. I wish I had access to the same sort of high-end garage sales that you do.
Where I live, yard sales seem to feature dirty, half-melted Tupperware, even dirtier children's toys, endless tables full of florist's vases and mismatched glass tumblers(chipped, of course) and dusty ladies sandals circa 1972. And I haven't yet figured out a way to decorate with old shoes and chipped vases. :^)
Sue
I have been reading your blog for a while and just had to comment! It must have been THE weekend for sales. I just did a post about my finds form Saturday. Love that pottery barn piece and keep psoting your finds, I love to see what other people find and how they use it.
Way to go Nester!
Yup! yard sales and thrift stores are the way to go any time, but especially in these lean economic times.
I love scouting out the upscale neighborhoods, too.
As always, the early bird does catch the worm (best stuff).
peace,
I want to see more of that quilt in your car! And the painting! I love hearing about other peoples' great finds!
Wow, I don't know where you live, but we never have people getting rid of great stuff like that. Most of our garage sales around here are full of tacky knicknacks or baby clothes.
I'm totally envious. I live in a small town and when we do find a yard sale its usually a bunch of little kid toys (the same thing WE need to get rid of) or broken lawn mowers.
Nothing like shopping for 4 hours, spending less then $50.00, a car load of awesome stuff, and a stomach ache from laughing so much. Life is good! Now if I could only figure out how to make going to yard sales into a career! Can't wait to go again!
Great finds!
I wish I could get up early enough to go yard saleing.
That's it. I'm coming to Huntersville to yard sale. I cannot find junk that good where I live.
Actually, my brother and sister-in-law live in Huntersville so maybe I'll just invite myself up and thrift their neighborhoods.
Girl, you scored some quality merchandise!
I've been out early the past month and found nothing!!! Maybe I should move to NC where the pick'n's are better - at least older and not so modern/cheap as they are here in Phoenix. . . . .
oooooo! i *heart* a good yard saleing spree
I so completely understand! I can never pass up a yard sale. I think last weekend was my best yard sale weekend ever! Looks like you did great!
Great finds. I love seeing what deals everyone else seems to find. Yes, sometimes I get a little jealous, can't help it. But I still enjoy seeing. I seem to just frequent thrift stores as I am not a morning person. If I were, I would love garage sales I'm sure.
Awesome stuff! I love garage sales. Please always post your great finds. It keeps me inspired to get get out early each Saturday. I found some good stuff this weekend but nothing as grand as your finds! Congrats.
I don't know where you live but around here, yard sales are mainly junk and old clothes. Maybe I need to go on a yard sale vacation and visit some sales in other parts of the country!
please label that chanelier you found with my name so I can have it in the event of your untimely passing :). Macabre....yeah, a little---but how else would I get something that gorgeous?! :)
You hit the yard sale jackpot!
Awesome finds!! I know you had fun after finding such great things! I learned on Sunday morning that I had missed a major group of yard sales in our area...maybe next time!
What great finds...way to go!! I need to get out to the garage sales. I usually spend my time at the thrift stores, but a lot better stuff can be found at the garage sales. I rarely buy anything new. Why pay the big bucks when you can let somebody else do that first? Thanks for sharing. I love living vicariously through you :) Your bird cage collection made me chuckle. I love old birdcages and used to have a pretty wooden one. My daughter told me it gave her the creeps. I finally decided to get rid of it...didn't want people thinking I was the crazy bird lady (who lost her bird!).
amazing...wish we had sales like that!
sandy toe
Does buying floor model furniture count as "used?" I love buying the floor models... You save so much by finding a ding and a scratch that you would have inevitably put in it yourself anyway!
You say meaningless, but to some of us, it just makes us green with envy. I haven't quite figured out what the difference is between yard sales there and yard sales here in AZ, but I NEVER see anything like that or for prices like that!
And it's a simple truth that some people are just blessed with amazing shopping kharma, like you and my SIL. I am not one of those people. :(
Fabulous finds! I found some good stuff on Saturday morning myself...come see!
http://giveagirlafig.blogspot.com/2009/05/doing-my-part.html
I seriously can't believe that you scored that birdcase for $10.
{I will not covet. I will not covet.}
sigh.
I really do need to turn over a new early-bird leaf and get my butt out of bed on Saturday mornings, don't I??
That birdcage is AMAZING!!! So jealous...but you woke up earlier than I would have so you deserve it.
That bird cage is divine!
Wow...look at that haul! Love the birdcage...it beautiful even minus a birdie! :-)
Love seeing yard sale finds. You had a great weekend. I miss going on Sat mornings w/my sister. I moved to a new town and they have yardsales on Thursday night??!! And the second day Friday morning??? Whaaa? It just so happens I work Thursday nights AND Fri mornings. I went out a few Sat mornings, but most sales were on their THIRD day. One Sat, a lady had the nerve, at 10:30 am on the third day of her sale to tell me "come back after noon, everythings half price" I miss good Sat morning sales!
Nester I thought of you this weekend at a garage sale! I stared and stared at a white bird cage... large... cute.... way cute. $10. I for the life of me couldn't imagine where I would put it. And I don't like birds. I've never even considered a bird cage until I've stalked your site! I should have snagged it, huh???
Wow! What bargains! I've never been to a yard sale where they had brand new chandeliers for $20.00! You've been to some very classy garage sales! laurie
I love hearing about other people's garage sale finds! I'm especially interested in seeing what you DO with the stuff once you bring it home. Great inspiration!
The sales in my area are very random in finds, but usually there is at least 1 gem purchased that makes rolling out of bed at 5 a.m. all worth it.
Kris
Girl, you did awesome! Isn't it the best little adrenaline rush? and so worth getting up that early? Awww yea...
Great treasures! Great deals you got! Love the birdcage of course lol.
All the best,
Allison
WOW...What FABULOUS finds!! I want to go thrifting with you :)
Toni
Looks like I need to practice my yard-sale-hunting techniques! Can't wait to find something amazing like those light fixtures!
Wow~those are amazing buys. I wish I could come yard saling with you. I don't even care about the time.
Ruth
You always have amazing finds!!! I am in awe! But maybe I am hitting the wrong ones, or it is simply the fact that I have to take the kids on the opening days and I spend more time pulling my 5 year old off of the random tricycles for sale and putting down the toys etc. I LOVE the gorgeous chandelier your friend found...that would be perfect in my house! So do tell, other than an early bird...what kind of neighborhoods do you hit?
Sometimes it seems that super nice neighborhoods can charge close to what they paid and the average neighborhoods charge pennies, it makes no sense to me, but fill me in on where you hunt? :)
Of course you found what I need when you were out this weekend - that PB filing cabinet!!! I'm looking for something EXACTLY like that so I can get rid of our broken, plastic filing cabinet in the office. I guess I need to get my butt out there and start looking harder!
I happen to be searching for a good deal on a nice light fixture right now.... so I chose hate.
Haha! j/k Great bargains!! Guess I need to start setting my alarm clock.
Wow! You scored some great finds! I love the days that I get some wonderful deals and fun finds, but regret the lost sleep of early mornings where little is found. Glad you had a successful trip!
I love,no, LOVEEEEEE garage sales! Love auctions,estate sales,goodwill (although we have no good GW's around close),ebay,craigslist etc.etc.
So I'm pretty much 75%.Actually most everything substancial in our house was eithered purchased second hand,passed down or stole,lol just kidding on the last one.Even our washer and dryer was passed down.I however have never bought second hand food.... or pillow (even decorative ones)or sheets unless i can bleach them.I'm weird like that.
Ok now to my jealousy.I heart PB.Also I am redoing my craft room again and NEED those PB finds you found.Lucky you!
Oh and P.S. around here it is usually junk too so I travel a hour away to Brentwood or Nashville to score goodies.
Great finds!
I love second hand. I only recently started visiting thrift shops. Actually it is all due to blogs- because a few swaps have required it. The best though was when I lived in DC. Because it is such a tansient city, someone was always moving out at the end of month. And because I have a dog, I was always out and about on foot- so I could get a good look. I've picked up over the years several chairs- sitting in one as I type this actually that is wood and antique and beautiful and didn't need an inch of touching up. A friend once found this awesome shelf system thing on a jog- and dragged that sucker home with her as to not risk going back for her car. In DC once I found an Ikea table, used it while I lived there, then left it in the exact same spot for someone else to use after I moved out. It was gone in an instant. So yes, second hand is groovy but free is even better! I'm all about the mix and match in life.
You got some great stuff....especially the bird house and the PB cabinet! The reason people love to see yard sale finds is that it encourages us to go out and do it. I never paid attention to garage/yard sales of GW hunting until I started blogging and seeing what others found. I just thought everyone sold junk. I now have so many useful items at about 10% of their original price...plus it's recycling! Thanks, Linda
I LOVE these posts! As I am getting married in September - I, too, am becoming a yard saler this summer! I've already had a few good finds (both for my house and for the wedding reception). Can't wait for the rest of the summer!!!!
Post a Comment