Bookshelf Shakedown:
One of the most common questions I get asked is how to make bookshelves look orderly and add to the overall design of the room yet still be useful.
It is a fine line. And I try to ignore the questions if at all possible.
I've got a few bookshelves and bookcases myself and I find I'm constantly tweaking them. I usually watch what Pottery Barn does. They group like colored books together and even turn the chaotic binding in so you only see the whites of the inside of the book. To me that's cheating, no one in real life can deal with that.
But, the reality is, if left to their own devices, with time, even a well purposed bookcase can become a magnet clutter.
Here's what I've noticed while observing bookshelves that both look good and are useful.
- focus on a neutral and one other color
- if using different colors then group them together {stack all blue books, repeat}
- if using different colors then don't wimp out--use lots of bold color
- add texture with baskets and metal and stuff
- mix photos and art and baskets and books
- repeat certain items--baskets {baskets seem to be a trend}, rocks, containers
- stack books different ways for interest
- back your bookshelf with paper or chalkboard paint

Today's assignment, take a good look at your bookshelves and bookcases. If you have the time, completely clear them off and start fresh. Shop the house and experiment with a mixture of photos, framed art, baskets, natural elements, books stacked in different ways and grouping like colors. Give yourself permission to tweak it over the coming months.
Another great bookshelf read: Centsational Girl Bookcase Style
If you missed day 5 click here. If you missed the big announcement then you need to read it.

46 comments:
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! I sooooo needed this lesson! I am contstantly trying to figure it out!
I think this is a big intimidator for lots of us (Just imagine--a new Superhero Villain--"The Intimidator." And you could be "Supergirl" or something.)
Bookshelves are one space that I feel pretty good about, because I am a book person. And I group my books by subject, because I use my books--my bookshelves are, more than anything else, space for my library of books. But I do include some decorative accessories, so all in all I think they look nice.
Your ideas are good ones. I appreciate your saying that turning the books around is not really workable. It's refreshing to hear someone say that such a decorative technique doesn't really work in real life. One of the reasons I love your advice is because you focus on what DOES work in real life. :)
I see books as important in and of themselves. They are not just accessories to be grouped by colour. Their value lies in their content.
It would never, ever have occurred to me to store books with their bindings facing the back of the shelf. That seems incredibly silly to me! I expect to be able to find and read the books. We are avid readers. We have at least 20 bookshelves filled with - books! They are shelved by subject and author, not colour.
I used the last image with the fireplace as my desktop background for my work computer. So relaxing and cozy. Thanks!
My book shelves too often look like my grandmothers home, too many pics. A good friend recently suggested that you should only buy black photo albums. They come in handy as a decoration for any room if needed, and they do not confuse your brain or offend your eyes while looking at the them on a shelf.
I wish it was this easy. But our bookshelves are the only place we have room to store the books...and they are packed with books. No room for accessories, rocks, baskets, etc. There's barely enough room for the books. And these are the ones we kept after paring down. ;)
So I'd love to have pretty bookshelves. But I don't. They are just filled with books. :)
I do love all those pics though. But they were put together by stylists with a look in mind, not by someone living there with gobs of books they don't want to get rid of. :b
LOL
I totally agree with all of you who Need to use every square inch of your book shelves for books. I mean, that's why they are called bookshelves.
I bought my bookshelves with that goal in mind too. We have so many books and I get emotionally attached to them and cannot get rid of any that I have read!
However, I noticed that when I loaded my living room shelves down with books, the shelves always looked chaotic and bothered me to death. I could not stand my bookshelves packed full if they were in a main room.
If you do not have that sickness of hating chaotic bookshelves you are lucky. If you are like me, then these tips can help.
My bookcases definitely need to be cleared off and started fresh. They have things on them we don't even care about anymore, why???!
I agree with most of the comments here -- bookshelves are a practicality for most of us, not a decorative accessory.
I will say that I could probably tolerate books being laid on their sides with the spine facing up (as opposed to backwards... *shudder*). We do this with our DVD's, because our media shelf isn't tall enough for them to sit upright.
I also like the idea of lining up the books in baskets. Or making your own (labeled!) white dust jackets where it's important to have a clean look.
I wouldn't mind placing an accessory in front of a bunch of noisy paperbacks if it's easily moved. I also like the idea of curtains on bookshelves... you could even put a cute label somewhere (on the curtain? hanging from the shelf above?) to indicate which books are hiding behind the curtain. ("HISTORY BOOKS" or "MYSTERIES")
Great tips, and perfect timing because this is one of the projects I'm going to hunker down and finish this week. Thanks for the tips. :)
Yes, what is it about bookcases? I avoid these questions and tasks myself as much as possible!!
I did a post awhile back on accessorizing my bookcases in the family room...I think they work for the most part! Check it out.
http://isabellaandmaxrooms.blogspot.com/2009/04/accessorizing-built-insfinally.html
I can't get enough of this series...can 31 days be 60 or so?
Janell
Oh Nester,
I am so THRILLED that you are doing this 31 day series! Yesterday, you inspired me so much that I am painting my laminate countertops AND kitchen cabinets....today you have looked into the depths of my soul and seen that my bookshelves need some MAJOR help!!!!
And I am so glad that you are doing the tour of homes - I'm getting ready!!!!!!!
You're so AMAZING!!!
No choice here... our two, very insufficient bookshelves are squeezed tight with books, and there are stacks and stacks on the tops. This is what happens when two book lovers marry, and have a very small furniture fund. :)
However, in one concession to style, they are at least not in the living room.
ARGH - I wish I could implement all of your assignments. Guess I'll just have to read the series again when we move!
Ok... what if the bookshelves house kid books and also a ton of stuff that has no other home??? I guess baskets? Some of it is not really basket stuff (like scrap book supplies or camera bags or kids' crafts). Our shelves live in the dining room, which is open to the living room, for all the word to see. I can see them from "my spot" and the clutter makes me dislike my otherwise enjoyable house. I guess I need to purge, and find a new home for the remaining items. I could custom make doors to hide it all. Or maybe... I could "mistreat" it??? Would this be tacky??
Thanks for the motivation!!! I needed it!
Great tips. Another one is to remove the dust covers off your books. Just makes all the bindings a little calmer.
Good tips!! My bookcases are a mess!! The one in my littlest girl's room is a disaster. That's one thing I can definitely prettify when my two girls move in together. I think for some reason kids' bookshelves are easier to do than grown-ups. I bet I could cull through some of my books again to make more room for pretty stuff....
I love how you were honest (and real) about how turning the books spine in is just not doable in the real world.
I hope it's okay to post a little reminder here about my October Decorating Dilemmas party. I'm going to have it up tonight after 10 pm (EST) and it will be on all day tomorrow too. :) I even have a prize, which I wish I could keep for myself. ;) I'd love to have your input on my own Dilemma of the month.
I am having fun with this 31 day "challenge" to update our nests. I just updated my bookcase thanks to your suggestions! I lined the back of the shelves with some pretty paper and the look that it gives is refreshing. Thanks for helping us all to see things around our homes in a different light. Blessings!
-Grace
I heart bookshelves!!!
I don't think that I have commented on this series, so here goes: I love it! Now if I can just get some bookshelves, paint my bedroom, hang my children's artwork, buy more plants, move those chairs into my bedroom, and giveaway these to end tables, I'll be up to speed!!!
Can't wait to read the rest! Oh and if you have time, come over and check out my blog and thanks for following me on Twitter!
Cheating-Schmeating!
I, for one, am TOTALLY down with my multi-colored spines facing the wrong way. Seeing the pages thrills me!
I guess that's what decorating is all about though...creating environments that speak to your own heart.
Thanks for yet another informative post...love your blog!
Layla :-)
All my books were packed up months ago in anticipation of putting our house on the market {we're still here}. But, I do plan on backing the bookcases with something {either wallpaper or paint} that will be removable for when I change my mind or with the seasons; stacking them up and down; and intermingling other little things with them. I miss my books.
Fabulous tips! I have lots of built-ins and bookcases and always struggle with how to decorate them. I'm going to print out your post and definitely use your advice. -Jackie
I love books, I love to read books over and over. We were able to build built-in book shelves in both our family room and front rooms. Here are a few things that have helped me keep my book shelves Usable, and look better.
1. I decided that paper back books can go in another room, bed room, closet, office, etc. Only hardback books in the family room.
2. I removed all the dust jackets. Yup, I just recycled them all. I know that horrifies some avid book collectors and readers. But they just end up getting ratty (which is the purpose I know) but also the colors are so distracting and confusing. Usually hard bound books have neutral colors on the book its self.
3. I change things up every few months or so. For a while I have colors grouped together, other times I have subject grouped together. Sometimes I have books I love but won't read again grouped together, I just give those away as opportunity arrises to friends and family.
4. I Make "FACING" my books part of my weekly cleaning routine. Well, I intend to anyway. Facing is just pulling all the books out a little and pushing them back in to all be flush together with the book shelf edge. It helps a TON!
Those are some great ideas! Pottery Barn is ALWAYS good for shelf ideas, and most any other decorating ideas for that matter! Makes me wish I had a nice bookshelf to decorate. All our books are out in boxes in the garage. I miss having them in the house.
The only bookshelf I own is in my laundry room for laundry room type storage, complete with baskets etc. And I love it!
But now I want more, thanks to this post. Hmm...
Donna
Some great tips (again!) Bookshelves intimidate me, or rather cleaning them does! You have taken what seems like a daunting task and broken it down into manageable chunks. Good stuff!
Thanks!
Kristen
I recently did my books by color and I love it. It makes such a difference.
One other tip: To keep a variety of books looking somewhat orderly, pull all the bindings to the edge of the shelf instead of being all pushed to the back.
Books are different depths and pulling the bindings all to an even, flat line creates a clean line that looks less cluttered
I'm smiling to myself....if you could only see our bookshelf! :) Yikes! I see: a statue of John Wesley that my husband got when he was ordained, a coffee table book of lighthouses that I hate, but feel like I have to keep so I don't hurt my step-mom's feelings, a whisky flask made out of a (real) cow's foot that my husband brought back from South America.....
Great tips! Now I need to buy shelves for all the boxed books I can't throw away...
What a coincidence! I just did a post on my new bookshelves. Unfortunately (or not) we have tons of books, so only a few decorative items are included (including a pretty little birdy tassle). I love the bookshelves in magazines and catalogs that don't actually hold books. They look great. But I love books, so I have to have somewhere to keep them. I do have a mix of books lined up and stacked on top of each othe to mix it up a little. Another great look I love but haven't tried is hanging small pieces of art or mirrors on the front of the shelves.
This is exactly what I needed. The bookshelves in my hubby's office are in a very sad state. We will be putting our house on the market in 30 days so it is time to get his book shelves in shape. :-)
I really enjoyed this post...thanks for all the effort. I loved the pictures and inspiration. I agree with your tips.
Can you imagine turning your books backwards? I like the monochromatic look, but you're right, it's not realistic. Too funny!
Thanks again!
Very helpful! Thank you! :)
Oh my gosh, I love your blog... found you through Twitter. What inspiration here, I am going to better dress my home!
~Tracie
Thanks for the inspiration. I just posted on my bookshelf redo. I can't stand the cluttered chaos they can become too!
Oh, Nester, I am just blushing. First, let me say that I've been a follower of you for such a long time, and to have you mention little ol' me makes me so happy. I'm so very flattered.
And this series is spectacular !
Re: bookshelves. You are so right on! Bookshelves can become clutter zones quickly. How does one balance between practicality and design? Oh, the eternal struggle ! I agree with all of your tips. Baskets always help. Cohesive use of color and a neutral, right on.
And the controversy between filing books forwards, backwards, sideways, right side up, color coding, covering. How does one decide?
Quite frankly, styling a bookcase is one of the most difficult challenges ever. EVER. I'm still learning. Your post helps !
xoxo
Kate
I adore the pictures you chose. I think lots of books will almost always look good. I just move the other things around until they look good to me. I have to have the books all nice and segregated by subject, and then alphabetized. I guess that's about the only thing I organize.
I like your ideas too. I'll have to ponder the color coding.
Fabulous post!! Very helpful and now I'm motivated to get to work on my books.
Very neat ideas (no pun intended!). I will have to take a second look at my shelves.
No matter how many baskets I keep, they overflow within days!!
Ok, we have books. Lots and lots of books. My hubby just got an office (he's a pastor) so many shelves and books moved out of our house. But some are left. And I've never liked to put big shelves in the main rooms - living, dining - because I can't seem to make them attractive! So maybe I'll try with the single half-height one in the living room. Maybe I'll get my little girls to help sort the books by color! Except then how I do find the book I want? *wink*
Thanks, Nester, for all these ideas. I really am appreciating them as I come to the end of my unpacking in our new house and it needs just a little something more!
As a librarian my mind screamed "NOOOOOOOOOO" to sorting books by color.
My heart is again beating though.
:-)
Thanks for all your creative ideas!
in an attempty to "de-clutter" my bookshelves to prepare out home to sell... I packed up about 20 good sized boxes of simply delicious books.... Yet after that great sacrifice on my part, it would seem, one can NOT tell that even a single story is missing. Such addicts are we to the sport of reading... and re reading of wonderful treasures... When to Paris we went, one of our life goals was to hit "Shakespeare & Co." the bookstore... so nice that it was next to Notre Dame Cathedral :)
So this post was for me, so very timely, but I do confess, that the responces of your wonderful readers were what I loved!
i could NEVER group by color, or put bindings facing back! Oh my, and with 5 people in the home, ages ranging from 4-40ish we have a varied eclectic sort of taste... We also home educate, making nearly every other year a new purchase of YET another book shelf... to add to our collection... The realtor was... overwhelmed by it all I rather think, though she smiled bravely as she and the "stager" kept repeating in mantra, declutter declutter declutter. This post was most helpful, to ME to show HOW to take MY soon to be very much toned down, skeleton crew of books if you will, and make it look simply FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you sooo much!
I had to laugh when reading this post because when Home Made Simple came to our home to tape our episode for TLC, they decorated my craft room/guest room, where my bookshelves were. They organized all my books by color for the big reveal, and they did look beautiful. But for the next few weeks, I got frustrated every time I went looking for a book and couldn't find one. Being in ministry, we use our books a lot as resources. So, I took everything off and started over, putting them back in groupings by category. Ha! In that instance, I decided that living with less pretty shelves was better than spending 10 minutes hunting for a book that I couldn't remember what color it was. ;) For people who collect books but don't reference them all that often, it probably doesn't make a big difference, though. I do have photos and baskets tucked in with my books, so it isn't too ugly. But it is functional. ;)
Post a Comment