And the worst Four Hundred.
A few years ago I remember going to a neighborhood yard sale with my mom and my sister. It was one of those where you pull into the neighborhood and you just know that you will find treasures. It was the perfect mix of young and old. You know one of those established neighborhoods where when the old people die the young families move in and fix up the houses? Those are the best for yard sales. You can find the cute pair of Target jeans and clothes for your boys right next door to some old transferware in perfect condition. All for $4.
So we pulled in all giddy like trying to quickly pick the best route while avoiding running over moms with strollers. Saturday mornings are like a drug for me. I lose my mind. I cannot think strait. We pulled up and found a parking space and from afar I spotted some kind of white cabinet. Oh, I had to have it. Of course, I didn't know if these yard salers were ignorant and thought that their junk was priceless or ignorant and thought that their junk was junk. I prefer the ladder. I mean latter.
Well, when I walked up, the wife had just stepped in the house and I knew it was my chance to pounce. I asked the husband how much he wanted for that old medicine cabinet {always call stuff old or dirty if it is} . He was completely helpless and tried to find his wife as I flashed a smile to my mom who was not paying me any attention. He came back outside without her and told me that he couldn't find her so how about $3. I controlled my facial expressions like an award winning actress, hesitated, sighed and said "um, okay." I knew that I had to work quickly so as to avoid the wife who I knew would have charged more for the cabinet. I handed him the cash and grabbed my prize which turned out to be really heavy. Good, that meant it was well built. While running through their front yard and darting to the car, I felt like a real woman. I went for the kill and provided for my family! What a HIGH! This was clearly a win for me. If they would have put $30 on this sweet item I would have considered it! Here it is in my old house. Love it!Now, I have it hanging in my bathroom which is embarrassingly huge. It echoes. For real. I hung it over the worst deal I ever got.I really liked the green... what's that thing called? It's got a fancy name. I could call it a dresser but, then you would know that I am not a real designer. Well, the dresser {the secret is out anyway} was priced fair enough for a new piece. The problem is, I put it on a credit card. This is the first and only piece of furniture that I have ever charged. Well at least that I have ever charged and not paid off before any interest accrued. It was a big mistake and I hated it for the first couple of years. Now, I like it but, I still regret charging it. I just don't get the same enjoyment out of paying full price plus interest.
Do you have a fantastic purchase in your home? Do you have a piece that you regret? Did you buy something from Rooms to Go that has already fallen apart and you haven't even started paying for it yet? I think most of us have been there. I think the best way to learn not to do something is to do it once and reap the consequences. I also feel like the cabinet kind of makes up for the commode, bureau, chest thing even though I am probably still paying for it and it's probably cost me $1578 so far.
The Best Three Dollars I Have Ever Spent
Scrawled out by
The Nester
on
2/05/2008
Labels: budget living, decorating dork, quickies
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
35 comments:
you're so funny!
been there...done that!
Nester,
We are kindred spirits! I have purchased things like your medicine cabinet and had to contain my excitement and ran to the car, just the same. It's such a rush, huh!? Then I have also bought on impulse and regretted, as you with the bureau/cabinet/commode thing. It is beautiful though. The wall cabinet is gorgeous. What a steal (seriously, you realize you stole that for $3.00, right?!) Try going to antique auctions with a credit card and trying not to buy something old AND expensive. I don't go anymore, we moved. That is a good thing.
You're so funny, you made me choke on my celery just now.
I love my antique dresser that was my moms. It's in my living room waiting for you to fly North and tell me what to do with it. And with my mantle. Whatever.
I love that cabinet, and the credit card dresser. Just think how good you are going to feel once that debt is gone! I bet you'll have a whole new affection for the dresser thingy. Here's the thing, ya got style, girl! Some of us can only wish for this and live vicariously through other peoples blogs! I'm obsessing over wallpaper these days, and on days like today, Super Tuesday, I just wish I could just chuck the whole house decorating thing and move into yours!! Thanks for the inspiration!
I am loving this post, girl! Only because I have been there too!! We practically furnished our ENTIRE house with RTG furniture and then mixed in some antique items we bought at an auction. Course, most of the RTG furniture has fallen apart and was either trashed or sold in a garage sale for 1/10 of what we paid for it. SOME of it is still in our house and looks great. Thanks to you ~ I am learning to refurbish stuff that I find ~ AND get out of debt!!
Hey Nester,
It is called a Bombe ( with an accent over the "e") chest. Like Bombay, the city or so I have seen in magazines etc. Now that you know what it is called it is much more valuable and therefore not as regrettable. Am I right? I love it :)
Janet
Janet,
YES! That's the word I was looking for! I knew it started with a 'B'--I should have said that so I would have looked smarter, shoot! However, I would have spelled it wrong for sure!
Love your white cabinet! I also love your Bombe chest. I wouldn't have the same affection for the chest as I would for the cabinet. There is something about getting that kind of deal! Plus it is just perfect!
Love them both! I can't believe anyone would want to get rid of that white cabinet at a yard sale!
Nester, Is that paint color in your former nest also your beloved "Tobacco Road"? I love it!
Been there done that too~ We ordered a couch last January.. a simple, plain, Khaki couch and it took 5-yes 5 months to get to my house, only to be the wrong couch. The store was supposed to mark it to 1/2 price since we had to wait another month for the couch. Which got to me 4 days before we packed up and moved. We are still fighting the price.. and the couch is starting to sag.. I'm sick!
But, I do love BOTH of your pieces. Especially the white cabinet.. I can just picture you running down poor innocent people and screaming your tires to get out of there~!!! LOL!
Hmmmm. I love flea market/yard sale finds like that... and I loathe making payments. Let's not even talk about the giant flat screen in our den...
I am so glad I found you I was over on Hooked on Houses and she had a link to your website, I am absolutely nuts when it comes to yard sales and good deals and you got the best deal of all with the cabinet, love it...well gotta go check out some more things on here.
I do wish I could have seen your face when that husband said 3 bucks for the cabinet. Yard sales are hardly any fun up here in Northern Virginia. They price like it's a consignment shop instead of a junk sale. I have to go home to Indiana to get a real yard sale fix.
p.s. Did you ever give the Home Depot recipe for Tobacco Road? I may have missed it, if not, please give it up girl.
I just realized that every one of you now can see every gross thing in our medicine cab. I am so sorry. I am horrified that you see Gas X in there. It's not even opened. I got it free from CVS. Also, every prescription from the past 20 years--in big honkin' fat bottles like old people! But, the worst is the "Breath right" or what ever they are called snore strip things. I wish I could say that they belong to my honey. But, that would be a lie.
I hope you still love me.
I can't believe you! That was my medicine cabinet and my poor ignorant husband! He slept on the couch for a week after that garage sale! Ok- totally kidding. Did I make you sweat a little? :)
I've had those purchases before- the kind that every time you stare at the item- you feel guilty. I actually returned a couch after it sat in my living room for two days. I felt like it was looking at me and chanting "you paid too much". I couldn't take the pressure! So I returned it. Completely embarrassing. Especially when the mover guy plows a hole in your while during the removal process. Yeah- explain that to dear husband. Now the hole just stares and chants at me. Will I never be free?
That would be a hole in the "wall", not 'while'. I've gotta work on those typing skills. :)
When I first graduated college and moved to the big city on my own, I bought myself a brand new queen-sized mattress on credit. I still remember the feeling of pride when the sales rep complimented me on how quickly my credit approval came back. Oh, how naive I was.
Between interest and late fees, I don't even want to think about how much I ended up paying for that mattress. At least I still have it.
My favorite purchase used to be our butter yellow sofa. Until our son arrived (now a toddler) and I have to pay $50 every three months to have it cleaned and most of the time in between those cleanings it looks dreadful. I've had it professionally scotchguarded twice and it doesn't work with the material. But I don't want to slipcover it because I love the Charles of London arms!
LOVE the cabinet!
My favorite purchase used to be our butter yellow sofa. Until our son arrived (now a toddler) and I have to pay $50 every three months to have it cleaned and most of the time in between those cleanings it looks dreadful. I've had it professionally scotchguarded twice and it doesn't work with the material. But I don't want to slipcover it because I love the Charles of London arms!
LOVE the cabinet!
I thought I was the only one afflicted with a temporary loss of sanity on Saturday mornings. Actually, 'round these parts folks start their garage sales on Friday mornings. WOO HOO!
Poor, clueless husbands are always good for a bargains, but even better are disgruntled teenagers. O, happy day when a grumpy fifteen year old boy is in temporary charge of pricing. Good times.
I LOVE your white cabinet. It's fab-u-luss. I love your little chest too, but I feel your pain about buyer's remorse. I have too many of those to count. I guess pretty much every couch I've ever owned falls under that category.
Love the wall cabinet and bombe chest! You've got such a knack.
Thanks again for letting me feature you on my Hooked on Houses site. Everyone's loving it! :-)
-Julia K
I can totally relate to the whole "yardsaling rush" you speak of. I feel like I'm a crazy lady on Saturday mornings. Fortunately, I have not bought anything that I regret as of yet. Probably b/c hubby and I have always been too poor to purchase "nice" furniture. Most of our's are hand-me-downs or really good deals. BTW- I love both of your pieces!
now i want to go to a yard sale. i need guidance though.
I am soooo missing the garage sales right now...spring can't come soon enough!
Now I think I have to move back East this summer, just to find crazy good deals on really cool stuff at yard sales. We just don't have cool finds here in everybody-uses-their-stuff-until-it's-dead-and-then-passes-it-on-to-their-neice-getting-married-who-passes-it-on-again-to-someone-who-tries-to-get-money-out-of-it Utah.
It's a relief to know I'm not the only one who spends too much money on things that take food out of my babies' mouths because I'm using the grocery money to buy them!
*lol* I LOVE the dresser.. chest.. thingie.. (maybe that made you feel a little better? ha ha..)
Stuff that has fallen apart.. oh yeah.. the cheap IKEA things.. discoloured, fell apart, anything you could imagine.. but we were broke little students when we married.. uhmm.. not even 4 years ago (imagine how fast they fell apart!)
Now I ALWAYS opt for secondhand. It's just better quality, since it has proven that in the years it was the previous owners.. :)
My favorite is when you spell words wrong that actually end up being real words but funnier. Like the fact that you have "breath" right strips in your cabinet. Do they make your breath smell...right?
I'm so funny.
That sounds like something I would do ... having the husband price it instead of the wife. The things I love the most are the ones I got for the best prices. The worst $$ I ever spent was a Pottery Barn table I bought. My husband wanted to get a nice wood table at a local furniture store, but I HAD to have the pottery barn table. It is the worst piece of furniture I have ever owned. It scratched immediately because the top isn't made of wood. I should have loaded it up in the truck and returned it, but I didn't and I regret it.
About 4 years ago we used our tax refund money to buy a sofa. We thought we got a great deal - sofa and hug chair for $1200 at May D&F (now out of business). It wasn't 2 months after purchasing the set that I vowed my hatred for them - the cushions are constantly coming out and the back cushion always flattens so when when sit back it envelopes you and you can't see the person next to you. If I had my druthers and another $1200 I'd burn them in the next bonfire. But we have no spare $1200 so we're stuck with them until the kick the bucket. I guess it was a good thing we didn't buy them on credit then I'd really blow a gasket.
The cabinet is gorgeous. My sisters live near yard sales like the one you described. I don't and when it's yard sale season I turn green with envy as the relay to me all their incredible finds.
Check out the Bombe chest at Ethan Allen.... they are almost as beautiful as yours.... and a ton more expensive...
perhaps some day you could do a special re-finishing job..........
nester~ I am so glad I found your blog! I love it and you are a girl after my own heart. I know exactly the neighborhoods you are talking about~we had one we always went to and it was the best. I laughed at your little husband strategy because I always ask the husband how much, pay, and get out of there before the wife comes back! Another trick I find myself using way too much is at the end of the morning and I find something I want, but am low on cash, I scrape up every coin and dollar I can find in my car, take it up to them and say, will you take $2.38 for this~it's all I have left. They usually just laugh and give it to me because it's so lame and such an odd amount. We're trying to update our house that is stuck in the 1970's~my dh is in grad school and we've got the entryway and kitchen done, and I cannot wait to use your ideas for the rest of the house~thanks so much!
We regret buying our sofa. It is very pretty but has attached pillow backing, which rips so easily! Paid $600 for it too.
Best deal, hmm, an antique quilt I paid .25 for and sold for $50. Love that one. Would've kept it, but it was just not our style.
Hey, I'll give you $6 for that cabinet and you will double your money! Not many investments paying that well these days, lol!
You can't blame a girl for trying!
Post a Comment