Can I just tell you how happy I am that you are here right now, reading this? You make this blog fun, inspiring, and I just love you! I've been reading over the comments and if you don't read them then you are totally missing the best part of this entire fiasco. Just in case you missed these sassy ladies, I'm gonna have to tell you about a few right now. All from the last post. I was going to link to them but, then I wouldn't have time to feed my children today--see the actual comment section for their links.
Aubrey {I always get excited when I see a comment from her} said
"Can I say I am really relieved to see the picture of your son in the table with his toys 30 seconds after you'd beautified the hutch? Befor {she spelled it wrong--that's so something I would do!} I saw it, I was seriously about to ask you how you keep your house clean AND looking really good (decoratively) with three busy boys....I've given up trying to make my house look nice without stringing the kids to the ceiling with duct tape all day...."I had to instantly email her to assure her that every other room in my house at that very moment was covered in feces, rats nests, flies, oh yeah and on fire. I really only have one room at a time that is clean. If that. Then she had the audacity to ask me if I used tape to secure the paper in my hutch. AUBREY!!!! I really thought she knew me better than that! What/who do you think I used? Percilla, my glue gun. {does anyone know how to spell Precilla?}. At least Debbie knows me and I love her so much because she "hate(s) matchey matchey".this is what they do while i am hot glueing--they drink out of 500 different cups, it's not even lunch time yet
Torey's favorite part was "the kid on the table" Valerie liked that too! That's really the most normal part of the entire room. Our family calls that room the NASCAR room. For real. Would I joke about that? The boys think the oval table makes a great speedway and I think a few scratches on our table is a small price to pay for them to use their imagination and play together for hours. At the end of the day I'm all "Boys, you need to clean up the NASCAR room!".
Personally, I don't even want a dining room--a few months ago I took that table apart and moved it to the kitchen to see if it would fit. It didn't. I would so much rather use our big table everyday and enjoy it than waste it in the formal dining room. There is nothing formal about our family.
Kimberly tried to figure out which window mistreatments went where--she even knew which ones were from my sister's house!
Blessedme said
"I so love this room, it RAWKS!"
I love anyone who says "RAWKS" instead of old, regular, outdated "rocks".Jennifer said
"Your pictures look so beautiful online...like a magazine. What do you think it is? Light? Camera choice?"
Yes, and yes! I never use a flash because it turns everything ugly. Unless you have a fancy flash like my sister has--she has a Nikon D-number that even professionals envy, I think even Pioneer Woman envies her camera. My honey and my entire extended family put all their money together and bought me a Nikon D40 for my birthday. I LOVE it and am embarrassed to admit that I have taken just as many photos of my house as my children.
Speaking of my sister, emily said,
"...just being the annoying little sister...Are those window mistreatments falling off the wall?"Yes they are thankyouverymuch. And I think they still look fantastic!
Deb said
"Girl, do you just walk around your house looking for something to transform on a daily basis???"
Actually, yes I do. I have done it my entire life. It used to be with Barbies--I remember my mom had a 6 inch pretend flower in a tiny white ceramic pot and I used to sneak it out of her room and use it as a potted plant in my Barbie's living room. I was so proud of myself for that!
I now have a notebook where I presently have about 20 ideas to post about. See, if it weren't for you I would just be doing this and be bored. YOU make it fun!
Kelly said
"I'll be over for dinner....wait, I probably wouldn't want to sit in it . I wouldn't want to mess it up"
So sweet but, that's exactly what it's for! If that table isn't being used think how sad he is! He wouldn't be fulfilling his purpose! That's why I let my boys play in there--even on the table--but don't tell my mom that.
My beloved Grandma Morland died when I was when I was in high school and I somehow received some odds and end pieces of her Blue Willow plates. I have broken probably half of them. I have to think that she is much happier that I love them and am using them than if they were packed away somewhere "safe".
Lastly, this comment stopped me in my tracks. Well, I don't really have tracks but, it did bring tears to my eyes, it's from traci and I loved it so much that I am putting on my sidebar--I couldn't find a link or email for you girl!
"I could actually do that this week end...your ideas are great. They are ideas that real women that live in the real world and have a real budget can do!!!!"That is what it's all about! We all have a big full life already don't we? I know that I still want a pretty horse I mean house but, I want to spend time with my family and not spend our grocery money on furniture. Thank you all for the encouragement! If it weren't for you, I wouldn't be doing this! Thanks to every single one of you commenters and noncommenters!
PS
I also have my first post over at Blissfully Domestic today complete with spelling and grammatical errors. I hope I didn't wreck it all up. It's about the shutters over my fireplace.
While you're there, check out the recipes--I think I'm gonna have to make these cookies today since my sister is coming to visit!

This photo belongs to someone who's name is listed in BD in print too small for me to read. Please don't sue.
PPS:
stephanie who emailed me about the bunny tassel I thought I had your address and emailed the wrong stephanie. Actually, Andrea, my best customer, had first dibbs. When I emailed the wrong steph, she wanted it too! Luckily, I have 3 bunnies! The first one is off to Andrea, stephanie without an email, you get the second one (email me from my profile page) I can customize it for you since it's not made yet. And the wrong Steph can have the last one! Yippie!
41 comments:
Sorry I was late to the party replying to yesterday's post. I'm here now though. Hope that's okay! You rawk for keeping it real and making decorating and home stuff fun. I do know what you mean - a blog is for the person who writes it but it's that much more fun when you know peeps are enjoying the ride with you. We love you!
You are so freakin' cute. Sister Sassy says that every time you comment on our blog (or is it blawg?). "Judi, that cute Nester chick said...blah blah".
Off to check out your decorating article.
How is it that every single post you write is AMAZING! I wish I had your style and writing ablity. (wait I don't think I spelled that right...LOL!)
I really do love your "TR" walls. I've tried looking for a simular color, but I'm not finding one. It's hard to know exactly what color it is on a computer screen...everyone has their colors set different.
Thanks so much for your ideas and the love you show for us...normal everyday wives.
Susan
Priscilla. :)
You will never know how much it means to me to see pictures of your house with the three boys being boys. :)
Aww...thank you for the little blurb about me on your blog. I have to agree, your designs really are something real women can do on a budget. And it comes out looking so FAB and I love the fact that your kiddos can just be kiddos and it all still looks fab. You should do a guest challenge, let us give you a room and you tell us how you'd make it RAWK. Hint, hint, I know, awful of me, but I just love your style.
Man, I wish I was cool enough to say "Rawks". But I'm not. I'm so yesterday. But I do have madd spellin' skillz. Uh-huh. I think your glue gun is Priscilla. :)
And don't you know that the perfect use of a dining table/dining room is for crafting central? I have a round antique wobbly dining table, but would love having that giant rectangle to spread all my stuff out on...'course, then it wouldn't be all neat & purty like yours!
First-I sew love the cars on teh teble. The kid on it only makes the pic more darling and REAL! You go need to frame that.
Second, dont throw away those old plated. make a mosic tray. see here http://www.ehow.com/how_2052709_mosaic-tray.html
I love your blog. so addictive.
need help today on mine regarding hair. I noticed your looks so lovely. perhaps you can help? read hairapy.
Oooo! I want those cookies! And those plates (you got all the good stuff). And a pretty horse...
Woo Hoo! My first nester tassel!
I just emailed you.
No, you are the Queen of RAWK!! We are just your rawkettes!
I am a military wife, homeschooling mama, about to move to North Carolina but nearly all the blogs I visit lately are home decorating ones. I just love yours and have added you to my blog list of friends.
Thanks for sharing all your ideas and I love the cars and boys on tables and everything else. It is so my house -- except not so pretty!
God bless,
Sallie
i didn't get a chance to comment yesterday but i loved the bunny tassel. i love bunnies. and eggs and birds.
my son is reading your blog in my lap today and drooling over all the cars. can i have those? he asks. and he only has 9 million cars already but see, the thing is, you make everything look better on your blog. even tiny race cars.
How fun to see my little face on your blog!!!
It's also nice to see that your kitchen table gets messy sometimes too!
I feel so special, that you mentioned me. :) By the way you have really pretty eyes. Love the post.
Oh..my...God... we seriously must be connected somehow. I have a notebook with a running list of all my to do projects. My husband just shakes his head and walks away every time I tell him about the newest one I want to do. But I somehow manage to convince him. I also have those plates that you got from your grandmother, and wouldn't you know it, I got them from mine when she passed. I used to have coffee with her in the mornings from my own little coffee cup and saucer and it is the same, exact print. How weird is that???
Okay, so what is your next project, so I can add some more to my list... ideas, ideas, ideas?????
Kindred spirits are indeed a blessing.
My Dad used to tell people two things about my mom (who he loved dearly)...
1. "The safest place for the dog to sleep in the house is in front of the oven" (get it? for lack of use) and,
2. "Lucky thing I'm not a blind man as much as your mother moves this furniture around."
Thanks for all the ideas and fun :)
I love the NASCAR track...and your camera. I can't bring myself to invest in one of that quality with a toddler on the loose!
I'm going to swap my $100 Kodak with my brother's SLR on vacation and see if I can't live without it, though.
So THIS is what you're doing when you could be shipping me my new tassel (bought the other day)! LOL
Seriously, keep doing what you're doing. I have a huge new house (did I mention it's huge) and hardly any decorating budget because my husband's nervous (did I mention he's nervous).
I'm dying to make it feel homey and come up with crazy ideas like yours but don't have the balls to pull it off. Somehow, your ideas give me confidence to try my own. So that's what your little tassel is going to do for me -- remind me to take chances. Hell, it's only paint and fabric, right. And holes can be plugged, and floors can be resanded!
Thanks for the inspiration!
I had to laugh the other day because when I told you I was moving and wanted to check out your site hourly for ideas two of my blogging buds (my sister and real life best friend) said the same thing. You have become our go to girl for ideas and ones we can actually do and afford. Keep it up my sweet decor Mama.
I am so glad to see your boys and your house lived in. Add me to the list that just loves your blog. And I was wondering about your camera too, so thanks for answering.
The hutch looks terrific btw! And yes, I thought of you and TR when watching Idol. So funny!
That was entirely adorable post. You are decorating genius and and a writer of humor as well :-) I am always glad to stop by and see what you are doing.
Have the Best of Weekends......Rosie
Love my D50. Those Nikon D-cameras RAWK. ;-)
But I do have trouble taking flash-less pictures. They don't come out as nice as yours.
I have to agree I love the word RAWK too!! I feel so honored to have made your list :)....I do love each and every single idea. How cool to let your boys use the table as a racetrack!! Keep on posting because I will keep on looking each day!
First, love it when you post pictures of you...you are so freakin' cute I could just break you in half!
Also, can't get enough of your boys racing 3 wide on the dining room table.
Lastly, I am so glad you haven't become all big time on us and ditched the Nesting Place to spend all your time over at Blissfully Domestic. I like that site, but still like this place better because it makes me feel like we are BFF's.
Now I need to go post on my own blog...it's been 4 days without a post. That flu got me good, but had to check in with you first!
I feel like I better redeem myself, before my son's poopy diaper overwhelms me and I pass out of change it, but I really am a good speller, I just type too fast and don't proofread. I'm so embarrassed.
Also, I figured that you used Miss Priscilla for the paper but was a little flabbergasted at the thought of putting HOT GLUE on that really nice-looking wood on the back of your hutch and to me it seems easier to use tape. Plus, if you are planning to change the paper, wouldn't it be easier to pull it off of tape instead of Priscilla poop? (Sorry,I don't mean to insult her, but I'm in the mode.)
Now I feel guilty that my table is rectangular and not an oval, since my little guy thinks that the inside of the toilet bowl makes a perfect racetrack and carwash and drinking fountain.
Geez, I meant pass out OR change the diaper--I even read over that. Tomorrow, I'll be 27, but you'd think I'm turning 97 the way my brain works.
Oh, I just saw how the paper turned out in the hutch! Love it & I'm going to steal that idea & use it in my black bookcase in my office nook.
I bet your house is crazy every single day! I just got a new camera & am practicing with the flash off. Don't have the hang of it yet.
Rhoda
I came across your blog...I LOVE IT! I felt I was dreaming! Could there be another Meme(that's me) out there! Sure as sh--... there you are! lol! We are two peas in a pod! Come see me at my blog...http://screamingmeme.typepad.com/screaming_meme/ ~Meme
Remember me, "it's a Bombe chest" know it all woman?? Well, my latest know it all comment...Priscilla...your glue gun. I think it is an especially good name for a glue gun altho I am not so fond of her curtains anymore!
Hehe,
Janet
Thanks for the shout out...I do help people decorate their houses, and I cringe at matchey matchey, beige, furniture lined up against the walls, and single pictures by themselves. I just start re-arranging things until they say, "Why didn't I think of that." I may start posting some of my projects too...I just don't have as nice a camera...I was wondering what you used...About the commenters on this blog, I've said it from the beginning, the ladies that comment here are witty, smart, and talented. They are the kind of people I like to be around in "real" life. And as for you, when you get your own show on HGTV, we can say we (sort of) knew you when.
Seeing your blue willow (even the broken bits) makes me feel like I'm almost cool. I have a kitchen full of it thanks to my MIL. I have pieces that I swear only the queen of England would know what to do with. :) Just wanted to say I check out your blog every single solitary day just to see what you've created/done/written. Thanks for the never-ending inspiration!
Broken pieces of Blue Willow idea: I have a large footed hurricane thingy that holds a large, white pillar candle. I was looking for something different to place around the base of the candle. Voila! Recently broken pieces of a Blue WIllow plate! Brings my colors and a touch a realism to my table top. I set the whole thing on top of an intact Blue Willow dessert plate. Wonderful and frugal. Whatcha think?
You are so fun!
I seriously covet that camera.
Seriously. You'd better be looking over your shoulder.
And I gave you TWO links today!! Come see the progress... and any advice is also sincerely coveted! Okay, I'll take it instead of the camera.
sorry I haven't been around. Love to check in and see what you're up too. Love the hutch....hmmm, now you've got me thinking about placing paper in mine. hmmmm......the minds a burnin...
That's the beauty of a distressed table like mine....it's OK if it gets scratched. At least your boys do Nascar........my son does demolition derby. How do you think my table got distressed? :)
Been in and out of the hospital, but am seriously checking this out on the first day I am up. Looks gorgeous! Love the way the hutch turned out. Love the way you always thank your readers too--although I think my quote about you being the next Martha Stewart except being pretty, and young, and realistic, and nice should've made it in there :)! (that was said a long time ago...)
Can't wait to check out your Fussypants post. Take care!
I love your blog!!! You have so inspire me to do so many things around my humble abode.
I today, painted our bathroom. For about $50~ I totally transformed that room. I visited the idea of using something along the lines of the tobacco road. However, we ended up choosing Chocolate truffle. I love it!!!! so excited. I just wanted to stop in and tell you how much I love your blog. I stop in to see it every day. So great!!!!! Blessings.
Yay! Wrong Steph here - SO excited about the bunny tassel!!!!!
I'll email you for the total today!! :) :)
Nester, You are freakin' hilarious!! On the subject of your camera...are you really that tiny or does the camera just take REALLY flattering photos? Cuz if its the camera then I need to get one!!
Love your blog. Could not get to sleep last night thinking about how to mistreat my bedroom windows. I just need to get some white sheets...
Elise
athomeelise (at) yahoo (dot) com
Okay, so your house IS messy and you have window treatments falling off the wall?
You use and break china?
The love affair is on again.
Oh AND I have a D50 and also know that flash makes everything UG-LY.
Move to FL and let's be BFF. K?thxbai.
I too just received the Nikon D40 as a gift from my hubby and just love it! From our recent family trip we took 1300 photos, so we are off to a great start and I have plenty of editing to do!!! I love the makeovers you've done and enjoy your blog. Also, your playing one of my favorite songs...Don't Dream it's Over...
Hey girl, is this still your camera (nikon d40) you use? I found a great deal on it at Target ($300!!) and wanted to tell everyone it's the same camera as yours, but thought I'd better check before I go blabbing :) Let me know if you get a minute~thank you!
Post a Comment