Metal Barn Star Obsession

I love metal barn stars. Yes, I know some of you think they are old news and over used but, I prefer a 3D star any day over a flat, glass framed piece of "art." Nine times out of 10 I will hate framed pictures and only have 3 in my house. I would rather use something that tells a story or that I will love for much longer. Not that there is anything wrong with a framed painting--I wish that I could love them!


I've been collecting stars over time and I am not a fair weather metal star fan. Just like toile I have always loved them and always will. Over the years I have had them spread out in different rooms but now, I needed something over the lonely piano. Hung as a grouping, they have a much bigger impact than one lonely star hung by itself. But, they were not all the same colors. At all. I had painted most of them a long time ago and I really like seeing layers of paint on them.


When I paint something like this and want it to look worn and distressed, I'll paint one color on with a paper towel or paint brush {if it's my lucky day and I can find one}. I then wait a minute or so but, I'm too impatient to wait for it to dry. Then, I use the paper towel again and wipe on another color and it kind of wipes off the old color in some places at the same time.


So, grab some paints--I use those 3/$1.00 kind from Michael's. Don't try to match the exact shade to the color of your sofa. Actually, it's better if they are not an exact match. When you have a grouping you want them all to be different shades of similar colors. So, for these I used probably 5 or 6 colors including white and brown to add dimension in some.


I'll show you on this tiny star that I found. First, I squirt some paint right on it. I'm too lazy to clean a separate plate or bowl.


Then with a paper towel {or brush or finger} wipe the paint around to cover the star. The original color will show through but you want to at least cover it with a layer of paint. Wait a few minutes for it to dry. Or do this.


I like for the first coat to be pretty dry and then I squirt another color on top . Wipe. Repeat.


Rub that next color on. Wait a minute or so until it's tacky ...


Then go ahead and add another layer of paint and start a rubbin'. You want some of the paint to stay on and some to come off. This is the fun part! You cannot mess this up! You will start to see layers of paint and that 's what makes it look so great! You can continue this until you have had enough and then hang it. Because of all the wiping off of paint, mine are always dry as soon as I am done and I don't even have to wait to hang them!


Here's mine all finished. Let's hang it and see how it looks!


Oh mercy, look how bright green it is compared to all the other ones! No biggie, I'll just run upstairs and put one more layer of blue on top.


Now this is much better.
So look how easy that was. And what an impact! This is one of the first walls that you would see if you tracked me down, broke in my house and walked through my front door. So much more fun than a boring framed painting! And the biggest star up there only costs $8! If you don't have any stars they are selling them almost everywhere now. I think I even saw them at my grocery store.

40 comments:

Cathy said...

Beautiful! Now I need to add some stars to my lonely biggie hanging on our detached garage. I knew I needed something -- Nester to the rescue!

PS--first coat of TR finished on bedroom #2...now to find a vintage hockey poster to frame and hang over the bed! I suppose I could put a hockey puck under a cloche. what 12 year old boy wouldn't love that?!

Tangee said...

I LoVe it! That is such a cool grouping. I only have 3 stars, I found 2 at HomeGoods and 1 on ebay. They seem to be hard to find around here. I love what you did painting them!!! Check out my blog, I've got a giveaway going on.

A Dusty Frame said...

I just got my 1st metal barn star.
I wanted one for a long time but couldn't justify their price.

I found one at a dept. store for 4.99!

I took it home and hung it up and I just love it;).

Lizzie

Susan of Pink Portuguese Roses said...

Wow! I'm not big on stars but your tutorial made me want to go out and buy them! LOL! You are so creative and talented.

Susan

Marie said...

I love, love, love stars! And yours look so great together! I have a lot of those "architectural" stars...you know...they are really heavy and made out of iron (?) with a hole in the center. I was just hunting for an extra big barn star for my living room wall this weekend.

Anonymous said...

You are brilliant! I have four of those that were plain janes but not for long. Thanks.

Blanca

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the how to. THey look fabulous. My eye always goes to those stars in the stores, but I had no idea what to do with them. Love the blue shades too.
Susan

Stephanie said...

I love it! You have such a great eye for color!
I also LOVE barn stars! I have loved stars for a long time, and when I saw my first barn star in the HGTV 2004 Dream Home, I just swooned over it!
I then searched the web for hours trying to find one, and finally did. I've bought many more since then. I love hanging them outside, too. I have one hanging on the fence, and one hanging over my potting bench on the back patio.

I love how you've painted yours. I'm definitely going to try your technique!

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

I think your Texas readers are gonna love this!

What is a barn star, by the way? Yeah, I know, I'm clueless...

tracyvanhorne said...

Beautiful stars! What a great tutorial. I'm from Texas, btw, and we have these stars everywhere you go.

I found your blog off my Mom's group and added a link to my blog (hope you don't mind). I've been reading it endlessly for days... what great style you have!

Nancy said...

Love the stars, too! I have a small collection in my ds's bedroom. You paint just like I do! Just keep layering until it looks right. You can't really make a mistake that way-huh? I'm cheap. I don't want to pay more than $5 for my stars, so my collection is small-for now.
Love your blog!
-Nancy

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I agree with you! The star grouping looks great - very interesting and fun!

An Adventurer in the World said...

very cute nester!

I admire your free and imperfect ways. : )

Remembering a folded 3-d paper star tutorial somewhere on the internet...around Christmas? That would be a cheap solution to metal stars.

deb meyers

Rue said...

Hi Nester :)
I see these stars all over the place! So much so that I thought they had a secret meaning LOL Come to find out that people just like them and you know what? I do too, now that I've seen what you can do with them. Another brilliant idea. Thank you!
Rue :)

Wendy/TheCozyYellowHouse said...

I love your creativeness!! I love these kind of stars myself, I have 2 big and several smaller ones around my house!! I love how you have grouped them together!!

Mrs. Everything said...

where does one find a cloche?

Valarie Lea said...

I love that! If I send you a picture of a room in my house will you tell me what to do to it?

Jennifer P. said...

I remember trying to track some of these down for a client 5 years ago and having to go to some amish specialty website and pay $35. I just bought mine at the grocery store last year--a HUGE one--for $8, painted it orange, and hung it on my porch. I'm like you too--love 3-D art, and think stars are timeless!

LOVE the colors of yours--and would love to see them when I busted through your front door!

Magistra Mommy said...

She's back (and with pictures)!

I knew this would be the coolest thing- I think I've checked your blog like, 17 times, or something since yesterday! LOL

I think a big barn star is just what my son needs over his bed- he's into cowboys and the Wild West, so it would be just the thing. :o)

Oh, and Courtney- if you have a Michaels' craft store nearby, they have cloches (or bell jars) in there for $24.99. Save up those 40% off coupons (which would make them $14.04 each, I think) and you can have a really affordable collection before long. :o)

Leanne said...

Hi there!

Okay, this is a serious comment....

I deeply desire to "feather my nest". We've lived in this house for 7 years now and well, it has a great inside paint job, but really, I intensely want to feather it! Your blog has really inspired me!

Let me tell you that I thought I was handicapped when it came to feathering, but your blog has shown me that I CAN do it, and it's not that expensive like I thought it was! (that's good news for my husband!!)

I buzzed out to Ross yesterday by myself (we have 6 kids!!!) and found myself running around putting together home decor that was pleasing to me, and hey, it actually looked great and I hid it all to buy next Friday (which one of us HASN'T done that???)

So i guess I just wanted to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for inspiring me to believe in myself and to think that I CAN do it!

I remain...

A convert,
Leanne in Longview WA

Jennie said...

I love stars. Your stars look fantastic!

Katie said...

How good does that look!?! I love the way lamp just fits right in there. And what kind of snazzy blow-dryer is that?

Lynette said...

I love the way you grouped them. I only have 4 small barn stars and have been looking all over for a few more. I am going to have to look harder now because I would love to do a grouping like that!

Screaming Meme said...

Hey...It's a Papa Star, Mama Star and three baby(boy) stars and I guess the green one can be a doggy or kitty Star...if you got one...:) You should be here in Texas because we love love love stars...

Anonymous said...

While I do like the barn stars, I dont think my husband cares for them too much. Part of his job is going to new homes and hanging window treatments, pictures, ect for the buyer and he said he has hung a million of those in the last 6 months so he is one who thinks they are played out. I say if you like it who cares!

Darla said...

I can't find any cloches either - I was just at Michael's (Target, Wal-Mart, Hobby Lobby, Joanns, etc, Kohls, JCPenney & Gordman's) all yesterday and they had NONE. *sigh*

Anywhere else? I'm wondering about an antique store.

Rosie's Whimsy said...

They look great!. I have some stars on the lattice under my porch deck. I imagine I could use the same paint technique and then just seal them with an outside Poly. I'm a little tired of them being gold!

:-) Rosie

Stephanie said...

Darla~

Do you have a Marshall's, TJ Maxx, or Ross near you?
Also, try a florist or nursery that has a nice gift shop.
Hope that helps!

Leslie said...

I love what you did to the stars! I just hung some this past weekend in the "man cave". You are one talented chick! I crack up at your "way" of painting, sounds just like me!

Melissa Stover said...

i was so inspired by this post i painted something today too. i'll be posting about it soon and giving you all the credit.

Magistra Mommy said...

Oooh, Darla! Ebay, girlie, Ebay! You can find some there for decent prices. Just a thought...I Ebay everything! LOL

The Buntens said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I love those! I never saw them much till I moved here to the country, and now they're everywhere. I rather like them, but I don't know that they suit my decorating style. Although seeing what you did with yours makes me reconsider them.

(I'm sorry about that last comment -- it was me, I forgot to sign out from my friend's account after I helped her with her template -- YIKES! :))

Mrs. B said...

Those look great and the colors turned out fabulous. I actually haven't seen many stars around in stores recently, although I've seen lots in catalogs. But they're always kind of expensive. I've always thought of them as going with more of a rustic country kind of decorating theme, but they look great here in your home, which I don't think of as rustic country. Now I'll have to keep an eye out for inexpensive stars!

Southerner said...

My Kirklands had some the color of your toile print on clearance for $6.99. Don't know if your's might have soem.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Thanks for the ideas! :)

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Oh, Nester, You are SO talented!!!

I always love your instructions. Good job! They look fabulous.

Happy Weekend!

xoxo
Melissa

Bananas said...

I adore these.
BUT I fear I am not nearly talented enough to pull them off... better to buy prepainted. ;)

Little Lovables said...

I love these too... I have never seen them for $8 though! I will have to keep looking for them.

Alli said...

I love the idea of the stars but I also LOVE having pictures of my family around.... Here is an idea you can use to get the best of both worlds :)

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=272417.0

Hope you like the idea.