Y'all all wanted to know how to do the mistreatments from this post. You mean you can't read my mind yet? I think I'm gonna have to have a mistreatment test and I'll show a photo and YOU will tell me all of the the easiest and cheapest ways to make it happen! I hesitate to even tell you how I did it because I want to let you know that there is no "way" to do it. I just got my fabric, glue gun, fringe and tacks and played until it looked right. I do know it can be hard to know when it looks "right". So that's why I have lots of photos. When I start a mistreatement I don't know what it will look like when I'm done. Give yourself that freedom. I just want it to look like something I am happy with. You can do it however you want, as long as it works for you! But, I'll tell you what worked for me and you can adapt it if needed!
Oh, sidenote here, a few of you geniuses out there told me that I should have hung a long tassel from that rod that's hanging over to one side. I like that idea so much that I am gonna be making some extra long tassels for that very purpose. Thanks for the great idea! If I weren't moving all week I would link to you. Please, identify yourselves in the comments on this post and we will all thank you!
Get you some pretty fabric, fringe, safety pins, upholstery tacks and hot glue gun. And something to stand on. Oh, and an iced coffee never hurt anyone but that's optional.
Both of those mistreatments were just a section of fabric. The toile one was really long--twice the length that you see. I didn't want to cut it because you know, I might move and need a long piece. Two things I hate to cut are fabric and photos. So, I folded it in half pinned the bottoms together with a safety pin and hot glued fringe to the bottom. I did turn the side/raw edges under at the bottom and folded them in at the top where I put the rod through. Oh, and then it looked flat so I grabbed 2 more safety pins and cinched it up. Then, the raw sides kept peeking out so I turned the edges in and hot glued it right there while standing in heels on my toilet. I just used and extension cord for my glue gun, Pricilla. Was that how we spelled her name? Easy.
I cannot stress enough the following statement:
There is no right or wrong way to make a mistreatment, get you some fabric out and PLAY until it looks right. Then, hot glue on fringe and it will look so finished!
Bathroom: again a big ol piece of fabric that I didn't want to cut. I folded it in half and pinned up the two corners with upholstery tacks.
Then I had a finial with a hole in it so I put a long nail in the center of the top of the fabric and slid the finial over it. You cannot see that in this photo. Hate me. Go up 2 photos and you'll see what I mean.
For the roman shade look I just folded it before I hung it and pinned the side folds together. See those folds? Pinned. Yes, with strait pins. Over my bathtub. Where I take a bath. With my unprotected hiney that could have been stuck with a strait pin had one fallen out. But it didn't and that was a risk I was willing to take to not have to commit to cutting or sewing this fabric. Do not do the strait pin thing in your child's room or in your kitchen. You can glue it and safety pin it just as easily. I just wanted you to know what I did. See, again, there's no wrong.
For the fringe, I didn't want to commit to hot gluing it since I move so much so I actually pinned it as well. My real designer friends never noticed and it's not in a high traffic area. I even forgot it was pinned!
Here's my kitchen mistreatment. It's a leftover piece from what I used to have at my bay window in my old house.
It was one of the first things I made so I lined it back when I was following rules and all. I cannot stress enough how much this does NOT need to be lined. Especially when it's hung high over the wall instead of the window. If your is low, you might want to hot glue something to act as a liner behind it so the sun doesn't shine through and distort the color or not let you see the pattern. Also a plain white lining does look better from the outside, another reason to NOT hang your fabric over the actual glass. Does that make any sense? Look, apparently it's a little crooked. You really cannot tell that much in real life so this is how it stayed.
I love old glass door knobs and pick them up at yard sales not having any idea exactly where I will use them. They have a hole in the back for a screw so they fit perfectly over a nail. I love how this turned out.
Fabric.com...Up to 70% off Retail a great place to order fabric online! Need mistreatment tools? Visit the Nest shop for inspiration.
50 comments:
Oh Nester, I have fabric commitment issues as well! For my dining room window I did something very similar to your mistreatment only instead of safety pins to gather the bottom up I used binder clips! Now in my formerly empty nest room (my bird returned to the nest) I made faux bishop's sleeves by hanging a long section of fabric with ring clips on the side of my tab top panels, then using a safety pin and small tack gathered up a section for the "poofy sleeve" part and hooked the safety pin over the tack head! Easy peasy and I have since taken the fabric down for another project as DS doesn't dig the whole "french country" look in his Asian inspired room. Oh well, it was a nice dream while it lasted...
I can't wait to see what you come up with for your new nest! And I'm totally going to try the faux roman shade look on my living room door where I have this odd window but no extra fabric to match my panels...wish me luck!
Hey Nester,
So many "new" things to try ~~ did I say that out loud :) My family will be thrilled. They just stand back when my creative juices get going (or yours in the area of mistreatments :)!! Thanks for these GREAT ideas. Heart the kitchen mistreatment ~~ too great!! I have one more window in my kitchen to go ~~ I may have to give this a whirl!!
Have a terrific, creative Tuesday,
Dawn
As usual, your abilities fascinate me!
I just love reading how t odo all this stuff. :)
You are so clever! An otherwise s(crap) of fabric becomes magic in your hands!
I love those glass knobs. I didn't do too many window treatments in my art/design business, but one of my favorite windows used those glass knobs to hold up the valance. I mounted the knobs to a piece of wood I distressed in red and added a metal iron star (you know, the ones with the hole in the middle) to the screw before screwing on the knob--making like a star collar on the knob. A photo would be much better here than my words! I'll have to post that soon.
Love your window mistreatments! I really love the one with the glass doorknob - I have a think for glass doorknobs. I'll have to give that one a try.
Oh, Nester, what would we do without you? Thank you, since I'm one of the ones whining about needing to see it done!
BTW, I posted some hilarious pictures of my bluebird house if you want to head on over. You have to scroll down a bit past the giveaway post (ahem)...
Nester - love all of these ideas. You've given me so much inspiration, I can't wait to decorate me next house!
Finally. I've been waiting for this post all weekend. Ever since you said "Monday, I'll post about..." I've been checking. I checked on Saturday. Sunday. I thought maybe you would surprise us...b/c its not like you are packing up your entire life to move it across town so I know you have tons of free time.
Thanks for the directions on how there are no directions.
Love it.
Thank you so much for taking the time to post this!! I am so excited by all the fun new stuff I get to try. Off to the fabric store!
Love the glass doorknob. I didn't realize that was what it was until you showed the close-up at the end. -Julia
I like how you hung that little plant from the glass doornob. Whodathunkit? It's perfect for a kitchen window. Off to buy a little hangy downy plant. Yes...I WAS and English major which (almost) obligates me to manipulate the English language. I have GOT to email you the pictures of my latest mistreatments. They involve garage sale finds and everything. I think you'll be proud.
I think I'm in love...with you and your window treatments.
Any chance you are moving to Winston-Salem? My untreated windows need you!
In the meantime, I am going to continue looking at your work for inspiration and try to screw up the courage to do something on my own!
Its funny how people want you to give directions when you really dont know how you did it in the first place...Thats my problem. I make this killer lasgana and my family always wants me to tell them how. It's not cause I dont want too it's just I tweek it every time. I do have a recipe but really dont follow. Your kinda like that girl in highschool that everyone wanted to be like. Bet you could start your own hairstyle.. hehe Oh the glamour and fame. Guess I ran on way too long.. Go pack. Your friend from a far away land... Susie H
Oh my! Love these! I just can't get enough of your mistreatments!
If I ever get to move into my new house I'm going to mistreat every window in the house. I have rods now but they'll have to stay with the old house so I'll be poor and have naked windows. I can't wait!!! I'm already starting to collect fabric.
Kimba
I adore the mistreatments....and must confess to doing a few of my own. In our old house I could never decide how I wanted to dress my bedroom windows, so they remained undressed until we sold it. My confession....two panels of fabric (one for each window) gathered with safety pins and hung on the curtain rod with....should hide my face before admitting this....duct tape. That's right, duct tape! My dad is so proud right now.
Fabulous! I did a faux roman shade in my bedroom last year. Since I'm sewing challenged I used iron on seam tape or whatever it's called. A lot of it. It never even occurred to me to pin it! That would have been so much easier!
this may be old news, but i just picked up this season's "100 decorating ideas under $100" and thumbing through it, i came to a section that totally reminded me of the nester! turns out birds--of any kind, on anything--are THE thing this spring/summer. did you know you were such a trend setter?!
Great tips! I have a question about my curtains in my guestroom. They are sheer, but I raised them close to the ceiling and not sure they have the same effect as making the ceiling look taller. They certainly don't make the windows look much taller. I still like the dramatic effect. Any opinions or advice?
http://sunnypondhome.blogspot.com/2008/05/curtains_2135.html
Just found your blog over the weekend and love the window mistreatment ideas. I'm going to try doing my own mistreatments in my kitchen and our new baby's room. So excited!
I would love to see some of your readers' creations as well.
Thanks for the great ideas!
Nester! I got the link to your site from a friend of a friend, and I must say, I'm your new stalker! I LOVE your ideas and I have to thank you for allowing me to feel like I can "design within reach". I'm a professional interior designer (I design hospitals though), and have always felt that I HAD to do things by the book with my house. You have liberated me and made me practice creativity over conformity! I can't wait to try my mistreatments this weekend, and will be sure to post my pictures!
Love your mistreatments. I did the same thing to a window treatment in my boys room years ago. I pinned it up for a gathered look. And it was all because of laziness but I never once thought about fixing it. It was just as good as sewing it. I guess we can call it a shortcut and not laziness.
Blanca
I HAVE A DOORKNOB JUST LIKE THIS!!! Why am I yelling? Im so excited!!! Never would have thought to put a doorknob up there but I love doorknobs too. I have been on a big, huge fabric kick lately. Im falling madly in love with the new line "the drawing room" by anna horner and many others. I may get a little and make some for above my window or even maybe frame some.
You're so creative, Nester. I can't wait to put some of these tips to use around my house!
I have been studying all of your mistreatment posts and think I might be ready to drag my kids to the fabric store. Wish me luck!
oh nester!! i have just finished some quality mistreating myself! i have you to thank. i did a variety of variations on your no-instructions. on one "mis" i used tension rods(aka bathtub curtain rods)over which to hang shears. only i had the flap come forward as if they are intentional valences. and they are straight pinned in place! my other treatment is a matalise (sp) bedspread cut in half, ring clipped in your redplaid style, with tissue paper in the puffy part. i actually used the machine on the cut part, and i am SO happy with it. my last treatment is the use of painting tarps, which provide a million yards of coverage for cents. i stitchwitcheryed grossgrain ribbon to spiff them up. voila, cutains (ringclipped). many thanks for encouraging the "see what works/looks good *enough* style of treating!! jkj
Thanks so much for your informative posts. I am still unpacking boxes from our move to a new home! I found you just in time to save a ton of moola on window decor. Thanks so much! I appreciate your site so much that I linked to you in my blog at clovercottage.blogspot.com
I am a new blogger and would appreciate any feedback!
Hi Nester! I just thought you might want to know that I mentioned you on my blog, since you are such an inspiration to me... I finally put up my curtains, thanks to you!! Thank you for sharing your talent with us. :)
Carody at www.ciderandspices.blogspot.com
Hi Nester, Just wanted to let you know I received my tassel and cute pear arrangement and I absolutely adore them both! Sorry it took me so long to write and tell you! Between school getting out and trying to keep my blog going...it has been hectic the last couple of weeks! I just love your blog! I do a lot of my own window treatments,too, and I hate when someone is over and starts turning over the fabric to see how they are made...like it matters! LOL! They could get stuck with a pin at my house too! LOL! You do a wonderful job and I got a lot of pointers from your site! Can't wait to see how you decorate the new home, I know it will be great! And thanks again...you did a great job on my items and I will be back soon! ;)
~Rhonda
What a cute blog you have. I saw the pictures of your bedroom with the light blue and brown toile comforter. May I ask where you purchased that because I love it. I was going to order something similar from Nieman Marcus but by the time I added everything up it was going to be a fortune, so I'm trying to find something else. I would greatly appreciate knowing where you found yours. Thank you, Susie
Soooooo Cute! Your inspiring window treatmetns all over the world. I really love the glass doorknob. I can't wait to see what you do at your new nest.
Right now I'm sitting here thinking of which window I can mistreat first. I am a visual learner, so I needed those directions! Thanks!
Well glad to see i'am not the only person that uses safety pins to make curtains i just made some for my kitchen window. I'am new to blogging and i'am glad i found yours... toni
Thank you for giving me the answer to why for years I used to buy scrapbook supplies and never made one single scrapbook. I don't like to cut pictures.
It's kind of like the time you gave me the answer to why I never want to go on the ladies retreat at church.
Do you think God is using you to reveal all my burning questions about myself? I do. He's so BIG He can do that.
Love you N, praying for your smooth move, Ex-Lax ;-)
LOVE the glass knob! So cool. I'm heading home this weekend, so I will be hitting my parent's up for leftover fabric! This "how to" has given me so many ideas...who knows what I'll come up with. I'm sure I'll be playing with fabric for days before I feel like it's finished!
Love this post. Thanks for the info. Love the plant hanging in the window -- I'm a bit of a plant freak. I have all these wooden rods (left by frivolous previous owners) with no curtains so I hang plants and windchimes from them...love the look but would love mistreatments more...
PER-FECT!
How Do you do all this? I can't imagine what my house would look like if I tried to do my windows this way...but I know it would be bad..LOL.
I am just not good a placing anything..LOL...but
I love reading your blog and seeing your mistreatments.
Hollie
Wow! You've done it again. Your Mistreatments all look so PROFESSIONAL! You'd never know it was all hot glue and pins.
Thanks for sharing. You are so inspiring.
I just shopped my stash and revamped my living room window treatments with a little mistreating! Now they are resting on the floor as they should and sporting some new decorator fabric on top with some pom pom fringe! I love them! Thank you Nester for all your inspiration!
hillcrest! Welcome! I am so proud and elated to brag about my self here--I made that comforter cover! It was the first thing I sewed--I talked about it on one of my very first posts if you want to search my archives! I bet you could find those colors at Target or TJmaxx!
What wonderful ideas you have!!! I came over from Notes from the Soul and I am just in love with your creations. I have actually been looking for an idea for my bedroom window...its wide, but short. I love the kitchen treatmet that you did, and I think i'm going to give it a try!
You're awesome Nester!!!
Fabulous!!! Thank you for sharing the "how-to." I'm going to try something like this as soon as I feel I have a few $ to blow at Hobby Lobby for the fabric. I really need something over my bathroom window! Thank you again!
oh my....the wheels inmy brain are turning..and I do have my endless stash...and everything is fair game right.
great posts...
Deby
who has moved 36 times in 50 plus years...
Hi,
I just wanted to thank you so very much for all the helpful tips and how to's and pics!!! Yippie!!! ;)
It's been so helpful and so encouraging to know that you can still get things done witout breaking the bank and in my case I don't know how to sew. Part of it is we homeschool and I have 4 kids so it's not easy to fit the time in. But for these quick and easy tips I certainly can!
Thanks so very much for the time you take to take pics and share all your tips for us who fly over (In my case i ussually fly over from the Sparrows nest) to your site, so very kind of you!! I have to say that your site is very encouraging to me and it's been a blessing in many ways.
Thank you and God bless!
~Joy
Oh so nice to find your blog...oh my you need my my parents sealah tape.
You will love it! You can nosew your way..taping everything!
Email me and I will send you some samples:)
Nice to meet you,
Lovely Blog,
KayEllen
Hi Nester, can you tell me how the curtain over your bath is attached to the wall? I want to do something like that in my bathroom and the window abuts the wall so I can't use a rod.
Thanks in advance,
Kate
I couldn't help but think of this entry of yours as my children truly created a window "mistreatment" for our home! I love your blog and all your ideas! I don't know how to link well---my blog is laurascoop.blogspot.com----and my mistreatment is some entries back. Thanks for all you share with us!
I love your mistreatments! I am re-discovering your blog - I had a link to you on my blog and somehow lost it when I messed around with my template. But I am adding you again so that I won't miss out on these wonderful things you do. I've introduced several of my non-blogging friends to your blog as well. I am going out to get fabric tomorrow for my kitchen window - it's had nothing on it for several years now and it's time! Thanks for the inspiration. :)
Post a Comment