Welcome to our new home! I know the yard isn't all that much but, I have finally learned that it's never really greener on the other side.
Oh, look--there's my terrarium! I fell in love with it about 4 years ago at Sam's club. It was $99, too much for me. Then it dropped to $89, $69 and when there were two left and they were $49, I knew that was a steal! When my boys were younger we had it inside and planted plants inside the terrarium, added any rocks they picked up and then they put their plastic dinosaurs inside it too. It was so much fun.
There are fake flowers inside it right now.I was able to scrounge up a few dollars and plant a couple plants. I desperately wanted color. The sweet potato vines will grow until the first frost and spread profusely. A great purchase for $2.99 each.
I was completely inspired by Kimba to mistreat my porch. I wish so much that I had some color on my mistreatments like she has but all I had that would work were the other two canvas panels from my bedroom. I've seen these for sale just about everywhere and I don't have to worry about them fading and they dry really fast.This is my favorite part of the porch. If I had money, I would buy a porch swing. I have never had one and want one so bad it almost hurts!
Here's how I hung my mistreatments--shower rod on the left and tacks and ring clips on the right.
Remember the wreath?Let's go on in. There's my adorable 10 year old and I've got a phone call. We'll pick back up tomorrow!
Tour de Rental 2008
Scrawled out by
The Nester
on
6/30/2008
Labels: home tour, window mistreatments
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
89 comments:
ooooo awwwww, I'm so LOVING your porch! Absolutely Gorgeous Darling! So many wonderful inspiring ideas, only thing missing though, I would have to say it's GLARINGLY obvious, is you and me sitting out there sipping a cold drink from sweat beaded glasses while we admire your amazing handiwork! LOL Can't wait to see inside! I'm so loving your porch!!!
I bet the neighbors are happy you moved in....how pretty! I love the red 'thing' you have out there...it was by your fireplace before when I first fell in love with it. Can you tell me what it is and where you got it? I think it is some sort of garden or decorative finial...I have been on the hunt for one for a couple of weeks now ever since I saw it on your blogarino. Thanks for inspiring us everyday...hey, I even bought a shutter at a church rummage sale for a couple of bucks, spray painted it white..and have bought a 'saying' pic to nail to it and a few small barn stars...will hang it over our bed once we repaint it in the next few weeks...it better be hung up there good or we will get hurt one night if it falls on us, lol ;)
It's beautiful! You did a great job! I love how curtains make a porch feel more like an outdoor room.
Your whole porch is fantastic! Love it!
that red thing is um...well, i guess it's just called a big finial. sometimes it just looks like a clown head with a hat on.
I got it years ago at garden ridge for about $30. It was a splurge but I knew the bold red and size of the final would make it worth it. I've had it so many places!
buy what you love that you can afford!
I LOVE your porch! The curtains give it such character. What a great idea!
I can't wait to see the rest of the house!
I am so loving those curtains on your porch (along with everything else!). I think my front porch is screaming for some! I'm off to rummage through my linen closet to look for some old curtain panels and a curtain rod...
Wha?? Tomorrow?! Boo.
UH-MAY-ZING!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love it.
I thought this may be a day by day tour!
How fun!!!
Nicki
Ah, we have to wait until tomorrow?! Well, at least something to look forward to! Your porch looks lovely - I've been wanting to try curtains on my porch, but haven't gotten up the nerve yet. Looks great!
Your style is so timeless. I love how whatever you do with your things, they look "right". I'm still looking for a mixed feather boa. But mine would probably look like a feather boa...
Julie @ sweetchaos
No matter where you are, you make it an AMAZING home! I -as always- love what you have done with the porch. I honestly think that you could make a cardboard box look beautiful!! Your amazing :)
That whole phone call thing is MEAN, I tell you! You totally planned that. Okay...so, I'll check back 143 times until you post the rest of the house. :-) I cannot tell you how much I wish I had a porch to mistreat. I LOVE your nest! I do the sweet potato vine too. It spreads like crazy and it's cheap. Good idea!
Have a great Monday!
I love your porch!! I wish I had a front porch...my next house is going to have a front porch. I don't even care if I get my own bedroom as long as I have a porch. I'll bet your new neighbors love having your next door! Boosts property value. :o)
Loving your porch and can't wait for tomorrows pics.
Ahhh, a proch...with a swing some day. That is my dream. I have always wanted a big wrap aroud porch with a swing for my daddy to swing with my boys...don't ask why, just always wanted that!
I can't wait till tomorrow! I love your porch. Is there any chance you can come here and help me with my whole house? That'd be great, thanks! ;)
you know how to make a house a HOME. love the pictures, and i cannot wait to see more!
LOVE the porch. Can't wait to see the rest of the house. :)
What a nice big porch you have! Love it. I'd be out there all the time.
I don't know how you have managed to pull everything together so fast. You're making the rest of us, who take years to get our houses together after a move, look really bad. -Julia :-)
Bravo! I can't wait to see the rest eventhough I've seen the rest. LOVE the porch.
I finally have a covered front porch, complete with ceiling fans. That will definitely be by next project! As usual, you have totally inspired me, and I'll probably be a copycat....again! It's gorgeous!
I finally have a covered front porch, complete with ceiling fans. That will definitely be by next project! As usual, you have totally inspired me, and I'll probably be a copycat....again! It's gorgeous!
Very nice!! I want to do mistreatments for my back porch. I wanted to buy some outdoor grommet panels from Pottery Barn that were on clearance, but I waited too long and then they were gone. I am now on the hunt for something cheap, so I can actually do a real mistreatment instead of store bought. So much more fun!!! By the way, the only sweet potato vine that I could find this year was $9.99 and I wouldn't pay that much. Guess I'll have to wait until next year when I do my window boxes...obviously I will blog that:) I can't wait to see the inside!!!
It's all so cute...I really love what you did w/ the canvas panels on the porch. Can't wait to see more.
Awwwww man! Please don't make us wait until tomorrow to see the rest! :)
OK, I can already tell this is going to be so much fun!!! I love your porch!! I wish we had a porch but we do have a pretty nice back deck. Everything looks so great!! Can't wait until tomorrow!
Hey, Sweet girl!I love what you have done! I want to do that canvas curtain on my back porch...I saw it in my Creative Ideas Mag from Lowe's...I think I'll mistreat them instead of going through the hassel of their instructions! It must be so nice to sit on a front porch! I know there will be a lot of wonderful childhood memories made there for adorable little men! Can't wait to see the rest of your home! Take care! Love, Meme...PS I still want a rooster tassel and a western one for my gameroom!
Okay, let's get our lemonade and while away the afternoon on that gorgeous porch. You have got to be the best renters ever.
And, he is adorable. I can't believe I will someday be a mother to 10-year-old boys. What will I talk about to them???
It will be a fun week here at your nest!
I can't wait to see the inside! I love the curtains. Isn't Kimba the best?!
I have just recently found you blog. But I LOVE IT!! I even went back and read all the older posts. LOL.
Your porch is beautiful! I have never thought treating my porch as another room. I don't know why I haven't. But thanks for the idea. I have gotten so inspired by your blog that I am getting ready to start re-doing several of my rooms! LOL
PS.
WHY do you not have a book published on mistreatments? I think that is your calling! You need an agent to get the ball rolling!
***Monica
Oh, I just love it! My front porch is similiar in size and shape, and a couple years ago we went with black shutters and black door instead of robins eggs blue that we'd had years earlier. Shortly after robins egg blue came back and I thought, darn! However, I love my black, and looking at your new place makes me extra glad to have black.
I have an outside cat who destroys my rockers, etc...so I can't have wicker, and the double rocker I have is DESTROYED from her sharpening her claws.
Love your mistreatment.
How do you move and get all decorated so fast?!! I moved 2 1/2 years ago, and I'm still working on it. I'm planning on hanging painter's drop cloths as curtains under my porch, but I'm waiting till we put a patio in and it's not a mud pit.
Looks great ... way to go!
~Heather
It's like I was just watching a season finale, and your 10-year old was the cliff hanger! Nooooo! I need more! The porch is gorgeous. Can't wait for more!
I'm gonna say a little prayer to the Angels of the Garage Sale that you find that porch swing! The rest is so beautiful!
You keep searching for your swing; my dad bought me one at a yard sale for $18! It's vintage, but I love it!! The porch is lovely!!
Your porch looks so inviting and adorable!
~ Sarah
What wonderful curb appeal...love it. I need you to decorate my front porch! Can't wait to see the rest of the house. Love it
Cheri
Your front porch SO makes me wish I had a front porch!
Looking forward to tomorrow!
Tease! I was all into it and then u say pick up later-oh!-lol
u have done such an awsome job!
I wish I was jeanie- I would cross my arms, move my head and Bam! u would have the porch dreams of your desire.
I love it! Every inch of your house is just gorgeous. Can't wait to see the rest!
The suspense is too much! Your porch is heavenly and I can't wait to sit on it later this week! I'm sure the rest of the house is every bit as lovely.
I feel you pain about the porch swing...but the porch is looking great without it!
It's adorable. Can't wait to see more photos.
It's really cute. I have to wonder, though, are you breaking any nitpicky HOA rules with the curtains? I have been wanting to do something like that on my back deck to filter the harsh sunshine back there, but I'm pretty sure I'd get a nastygram from the HOA if I did ... thou shalt conform, and all that.
Yay! A tour. How fun!
Your porch is gorgeous. I'll bet your neighbors would love to see the inside. too!
A great tip I have for outdoor mistreatments is to use canvas paint drop cloths from Lowes! At around $10 each they come in many sizes and are a nice natural linen color. They are already hemmed and after you add some ring clips or grommets, Voila! Outdoor mistreatments!
Nester_
Tou big tease! I am totally jealous of the porch, I grew up wiht a wrap around porch, and now in Arizona, we have no such thing...just a slab of concrete and the door, we are working on making it more inviting and pretty..but it will never be as sweet and inviting as a porch!
Come check out my weekend project, I re- painted my kitchen, I almost went with yout TR but I had this color and I am so happy I did it! I had everthing on hand so it was a "free" make over, I just love it when that happens!
Sitting on the edge of my seat till tomorrows pics!
I am so hooked, I can't wait to see what you will bring us each day!! LOVE your porch....of course, I knew I would!! Looking forward to tomorrow.....
Tomorrow can not come fast enough for me! :)
Love your porch and you have given me some great ideas, thanks a bunch!
You tease! Here I sat, perfectly calm, cup of hot tea in hand, when I opened your blog and saw the title. My heart skipped a beat (don't worry, it's okay) and I started scrolling, taking in every eye candy photo, practically drooling and then, BOOM! Cliff hanger! You saucy tease you! I can't wait for tomrrow! Oh, wait, I'm MOVING tomorrow! I don't know that I'll be able to look! NOOOOO!
You're such a tease! LOVE the porch, and if I had anything but weeds in my flower bed, it would be sweet potato vine...I love their chartreuseness. And yes, I just made that word up.
PS, from the gorgeous pics and my own de-duc-tive reasoning, I now know exactly where your bedroom is. Now when I plan to sneak into your house and nab your toile sofa (and anything else I can get my hands on) I know NOT to try to go through THAT window. Bwahahaha. My plan is coming together. :)
If you like a small giggle at irony, check out the latest post on my blog. Or maybe I just have a weird sense of humor.
Ok...remember how I said your like a star I want as my best friend......well I find you amazing to have 49 fabulous comments by 10:30 am!!! Everyone else said it......perfect and the porch makes me want to come sit a while......just what a porch should say! Happy Monday Nester.
oh man - I LOVE YOUR PORCH!!! can't wait to see the rest of your nest.
Gimme more!
I love your porch. And your outlook :)
Nester,
Your home is lovely! I am diggin' your porch...lol...wish I had one! And I absolutely love the pillars on the front...I so want a house that has those...someday. Can't wait for the next installment of the Tour de Rental 2008!
Blessings!
Mrs. Q
I love it too but I must say I'm a little disappointed we didn't get the whole tour today. I've been anxiously awaiting it! I guess I'll have to be a big girl and be patient. Like I always tell my son, "you get what you get and you don't get upset." right?
I'll be back tomorrow for more, more, more!
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH! I love this. It looks absolutely beautiful. I may have to jump on this idea too. I've been looking for a way to keep the sun from blaring on my porch and I think this is perfect. You and your friends are such an inspiration!
It's gorgeous! Keep an eye on craigslist for a porch swing. Your little dream just may show up for a song!
It looks fantastic! I may use your canvas mistreatments idea for my back porch.
I'm going to pray that you get a swing. We had one years ago and my kids would swing themselves to sleep on it.
Brandee :)
I love the mistreatments on the porch that is awesome!! Just loving all the outdoor living space ideas.
I love your terrarium and LOVE your porch! You really made it into a little outdoor living room and it's awesome!!!
your porch is adorable! love it.
Beautiful, beautiful porch! You'd never know that you just moved in!
Looks great...Can't wait for more!
Next time you move, move near me so you can bring some class to my beverly hillbilly yard. Lol. I hear you about the porch swing. What I want is a summer bed on a sleeping porch. But I'm not sure dh will move south, so I'll have to improvise.
Ohhh, couldn't you have just ignored the phone! (of course, I'm kidding, I'm sooo impatient!) WE WANT TO SEE INSIDE!!! The porch is absolutely lovely and so inviting! Beautiful girl! Just beautiful! Gives me something to look forward to tomorrow...instead of the potty training I'm so dreading :(
OK- You're killing me here! I just moved in my house in April and it's taken me 5 weeks and I'm barely on the verge of finishing my bedroom. You're like whatshername on Bewitched...you just wiggle your nose and...ta da...beautiful house!
I love, love, love the porch. Are those just regular white cotton curtains? I'm going to have to dig mine out and hang them outside with confidence. You go girl!
Glad you are getting settled in! That's such a cute house & I know you'll put your stamp on it too. Love the porch so far & the fabric really looks great out there. Can't wait to see more.
Oh, I wish you had a swing too. I enjoy mine SO much. My dad built it for me, so it's extra special.
Rhoda
Your mistreatments outside are lovely! I'm ALL for having a quiet, private spot outside to read & think.
Love the outside - can't wait to see the inside!
how fun! i especially love the mistreatments! how nice!
Love the porch mistreatment! Now I'm trying not to be jealous because I don't even have a covered porch! I do have a deck, though...(be thankful, be thankful...)
I made my first real window mistreatments over the weekend! Yay for me! They're not quite finished yet, but I'll send you the pics when I get them hung. Thanks for the inspiration.
I'm still dying to know what the story is with the toile couch.
Cate
If you transplant those sweet potatoe vines to pots & bring them inside they can winter over & be re planted outside.
I put them in a pot & cut them way back.
So is the rental in the same town ?
SO not fair to keep us hangin'! It's as bad as Pioneer Woman makin' us wait for the next chapter of Black Heels to Wagon Wheels. I am setting here anxiously awaiting the next post!
Beautiful job on the outside. I can see the mistreatments from out here! Can't wait to see the rest!
I love it all, as always. Thanks for keeping us inspired; can't wait to see more!
Fabulous! Can't wait to see the inside!
Hey Nester! There is an award waiting for you over on my blog...
I love the look of the porch. I would love to have mistreatments on my porch if I had one. That is on my huge wish list God bless
I come here and I feel so inadequate and yet I come back.LOL You are just amazing. I love that porch and especially that terrarium. I can't wait to see the rest.
Blessings,
Trixi
Your porch is amazing. It belong in a magazine and on the front of MY house. hehe
You son is a cutie.
Darcy just designed my blog, and she had wonderful things to say about you, so I had to come check you out. Love your blog. :o)
I forgot to add, my grandmother had a porch swing, and I loved, love, love swinging on it in the evenings in Louisiana. Porch swings are magical and wonderful. Your porch will achieve perfection once you get one!!
Just Beautiful!!!
Love the porch! We are having our house painted soon and it has a huge porch - can't wait to make it beautiful - may have to use some curtains!!
By the way, thanks for mentioning the sweet potato vine idea - it was new to me and a great tip!
This is genius!! I love the look and I am wondering how it holds up in the wind? We have a very windy spot, so I went with a huge trellis that my husband built for the end of our porch. It gives great privacy and allows us to grow a vine (kiwi) up it.
I have been here often, but realized I get here through others. Time to add you to my list of links so I don't miss out on any more great ideas!!
Oh, and I recently did a no sew skirt for my porch swing. I thought of you when it was finished, because it would definitely meet your ideal of no sew!!
Have a look:
http://restyledhome.blogspot.com/2008/06/how-low-can-i-go-with-no-sew.html
Beautiful new house, by the way!!
Linda
One word....Gaw-jussssss
Hi there my dear Nester. Your home is just lovely. You have already made it homey and you've lived there 421 hours. That is impressive, I have to hand it to you, YOU GET THINGS DONE. Love that attitude. Do you sleep? Just wondering. Love the porch. I wish I had one to hang curtains from. I might be moving soon so I am hanging on your every tip.
Blessings and hugs to you,
xoxo
love the curtains!! I've always known that the times in my life and the things in my life are the bestest when money was tight and sacrifices were made. Just made it all that more precious and special~
I don't know if I would have ever thought of putting "mistreatments" out on a porch! I love the look! Thanks! Kelly
I can't tell you how long I have wanted a porch swing. Well, I can. Ever since I used to swing with my Grandma on hers I have wanted my own porch with a porch swing.
We live in a townhouse with no porch so as a compromise we got one of those glider swings and put it in our postage stamp sized back yard this summer. It will do until we have a big ol' front porch.
Love seeing your nest.
some years back i bought 2 wooden folding chairs for 5.00, cut off the legs, made a base for them to sit on, painted the whole thing white, added rope, and voila porch swing!
you just gotta think outside the porch swing box.
my one error was that the seats were not deep enough.
my next project is to build a love seat for my patio out of an old bed frame.
(sadly, my blog doesn't show any of this fun stuff).
Post a Comment