Fake Take 3


Well, if you read the comments from the last few posts it seems that people either love fake plants and such or hate them. There is also a large group of us in betweeners. We are P.O.O.P.I.E.S yes, but we find lots of fakes that are not objectionable. I have no set rules for you to follow when using fake or if you are a fancy person "faux" plants so because this is my blog and I can ramble on and on and on about the same exact thing for days at a time, I'll just tell you what I look for and how I add to pretend stuff to make it tolerable.

Feathers. I gotta have em. Long ones, short ones even pheathers. I bought these probably at Hobby Lobby or Garden Ridge.


Since we have lots of geese round here my boys find big fat long goose feathers all the time. Most people don't want to touch them for sanitary purposes. Not me and my boys. We stole this one out of my sister's yard. Is it bad to touch a feather? I don't let them put it in their mouth or anything.


If you didn't like the idea of the real feather you certainly won't approve of this. Yes. It's a real, live nest. Aware of my addiction to all things bird, my boys ran in the house last spring holding this beautiful, fragile freshly made home. I don't even think the poor bird was finished with it. I figured after they boy handled it no self respecting bird would live in the nest so I keep it in a glass apothecary jar. It's such a sweet treasure. And the eggs are plastic. I do know where to draw that line.


How about these beauties? They are supposedly driftwood. Real? I guess.


Look how pretty they are in this $1.99 apothecary jar I found at the goodwill.


Every time we go to the park we come home with treasure. My boys love to pick up rocks, sticks, seed pods, pine cones, nuts, cattails {I'm not even gonna say it} moss, acorns, reeds, bamboo, nuts, and vines.


I keep all my glass jars together and right now they are housing all the stuff my boys have found. I also buy shells at the beach and add that to what they find. Sometimes, I throw in stuff that's not natural like glass door knobs and old finials and marbles or a fake pumpkin.


Here's a moss ball I made last spring. You just hot glue moss to a styrofoam ball. It was bright green but has faded in the sun and ready for fall.


So, here's that arrangement thing I keep showing you. I think it works well for me even though it's got fake stuff. Here are some ideas that I try to keep in mind:

*use a container that you love
*mix natural items with fake
*keep natural hues and don't try to make a bright colored arrangement
*use interesting items that you are drawn to

For this one I got two containers and stuffed them both with florist foam, hot glued on moss and stacked the two tins. I didn't attach them. Then I sat a nest, pumpkin, shells and stuffed in cattails and feathers. Nothing is glued in so I can change it up and put a big pine cone in for Christmas.

I'll be adding to my wreath over the weekend to make it Fall-y. Do you have your fall wreath up yet?

51 comments:

Katie said...

Hi Nester- first post! woo hoo!
I am enjoying your advice and insight about the world of fake flowers, etc. I guess I am one of those tweeners- really because I'm just not sure of myself or decorating abilities.
And no fall wreath up yet. :)

Kasey said...

these pics are a little better to handle then the last round!
better fakes:_

Chris said...

I made it in the top 50! Woah. This is what I mean by loving your arrangements. You may use "fake" things, but they certainly don't look fake, nor does it matter because you have so many little trinkets mixed in with the "fakes". Well done!

Kristi~The Slipcover Girl said...

love your arrangements! I, too, found one of those apothecary jars at Goodwill! We are a laid-back beach casual family and I love how you mixed in beach stuff for fall! Thanks for the great ideas!

Anonymous said...

Hi Nester! I don't think I've ever commented here before, but I love reading your blog. You are very creative and have such great ideas! I'm not a fake plant lover either, but I have three boys that love to pick up stuff outside. However, I'm often not sure what to do with it. Thanks for these great ideas!

chiara said...

I totally see that you rocked the Target clearance with that red tag on the friftwood box.

Such a good deal! 1.48? And it looks great in the jar.

Laura said...

Beautiful arrangement! Hmmmm, I just saw an unused bird's nest in our pine tree. Maybe I should go grab it - the birds abandoned it, so it shouldn't be "germy"! And moss - I've got moss on our trails in the woods. I love that sun-faded moss ball! Thanks for the great tips!

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

I absopositively love the mix of the natural items, pumpkin, starfish, & doorknob! I put fall ribbons & items by my starfish & then wondered if I was cuckoo! I'm so glad to see someone else do it, and mix it so beautifully!! Thanks for the lovely inspiration. :)

Blessings,
Stacey

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. B said...

Hey Nestah! Hmmm... If driftwood is on clearance, does it become "thriftwood"? I want you to know I posted a little fall arrangement on my coffee table and used some hydrangea. I had to make sure everyone knew they were REAL because I knew they'd all have read your POOPY post and I'd be in trouble otherwise!

Kathryn said...

Ha, ha! I love Mrs. B's comment: "If driftwood is on sale, does that make it thriftwood?" Good one, Mrs. B.!

Nester, I'm with you! Love to mix fresh and faux ... autumn leaves, Christmas garlands, spring forsythias ... and everything in between!

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of a jar to hold all of the fun stuff your boys find!

I too am an in betweener!

Blogger said...

Everything is gorgeous.

I actually have small acorns this year from around my house, never had them before...or the squirrels and chipmunks got to them before I did...so I have a bowl of them on my foyer table, the bowl was handmade by ds#1 :)

I wish I had a HL and a Garden Ridge here!

Bella :)

Anonymous said...

We think you really know how to decorate! Great tutorial!

Rhea said...

I love the big moss ball! That's soo cool!

Lee said...

How come when you put stuff in a apothocary jar it looks like "treasures" and when I do it looks like I put "stuff in a jar"? I could take the same stuff, put in the same jars and mine would look like stuff about to get thrown out while yours looks like art. Hmmm. Guess that's why you're The Nester.
I have a hanging geranium that I pretty much let die because a robin built a nest in it and had babies. The babies and Mama are long gone. Should I put the nest in a jar? I'm not afraid to touch it! I'll let you know how it turns out. It will probably look like a dirty nest in a jar. ;o)

Shane H. said...

Oh how I miss Hobby Lobby & Garden Ridge. Since moving from SC to VA, we don't have either!! The closest thing I have is Michaels...a little pricey and not nearly as good a sales. Oh well, guess I'll just continue to admire your finds and wish I could find them too.

kristi_temple said...

I don't have my fall wreath up yet. I have a heart shaped grapevine wreath that had really faded eucalyptus on it. When I took it dowm the leaves all crumbled off. I will be going to Hobby Lobby tomorrow as all things dried and natural like grasses and feathers are 50% off. I will be decking the door with my made over heart wreath.

Holly Mathis Interiors said...

i just did a post on my blog about apothocary jars..i swear i was not copying you but i may link over here so people can see..good ideas!

Melissa Stover said...

now this i can do. we love to pick up stuff from outside and bring it in. i have lots of rocks in jars. does that count?

Melissa said...

I got the same "thriftwood" and shells at Target for $1.49~score! I am trying to slowly phase out my ivys and such~I want a more natural look~thanks for the great posts!!

Anonymous said...

I love those containers! No fall wreath or decorations up here - we're still in the 90's (TN). Not feeling much like fall. And all my summer flowers are still blooming. LOL

I love that you display the sweet things your boys bring you.

tina

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

These are so great! I might get up the guts to buy some feathers one of these days...I love your arrangements!
Carrie

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

I'll leave the feathers for you and your boys...but I do like that driftwood you found at Target. I love Target. I think you should have an ode to Target type of post...you can find so much good stuff there.

~ Sarah

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

After your last post, I am slowly removing my ivy that you were too nice to not tell me personally. I will be having a memorial service for them, with you officiating. They were really happy up there on the cabinets for the oh...last 12 years, but I guess they died a happy, peaceful death and I just never knew it..I don't look up there often.

Shell in your Pocket said...

I love those arrangements..I have my fall wreath up and soon will be posting my fall decor! There is a lady who bags "big" seed pods and all types of unique pods, stick..."fall" like things...you would love them!

Thanks for the advice of fake vs. real!

-Sandy Toes

@TiffanyRom said...

Your Goodwill has apothecary jars for $1.99... I am in the wrong state!

Great post. I do love my little "fake" topiaries on my mantle....

The Beauty Bargainista said...

wow! what great ideas! :) My daughter loves to pick up feathers too...so I make sure to have hand sanitizer with me at all times! lol

Lacy said...

No fall wreath up yet, but you sure are inspiring me!!! Loving the new touches. Your still the best!

Heathahlee said...

I never find great stuff like that apothocary jar at Goodwill. All the stuff I find is plastic and not even good enough to spray paint! : )

emily freeman said...

"we also buy shells at the beach and..."

Hardy hardy har, har, har! I am laughing. Does no one else think this is funny?

Rachael Black said...

Oh how I have been doing it all wrong! Trust me, I'm willing to make some much needed and necessary changes. I guess I just needed a little nudge in the right direction. Not being able to afford real flowers weekly, faux flowers and the like are a budget saver! I'll try to post some of my success-stories in the "re-doing the yucky fakes" department sometime soon. Maybe it would be a good job for Mister Linky.... :)

Kitty Scraps said...

No fall wreath here...yet. I probably won't do any fall decorating till I return from my trip to open up a new HL!!!! Love your feathers and moss ball!

Marie said...

I'll admit it. Real bird feathers skeeve me out. I think I unknowingly got my bird feather fear from my mother. I recently discovered she hates all things feather- real, fake or otherwise. Can those fears be genetic? ha ha Love the apothecary jar with the driftwood!

Tricia said...

So, I agree on the "no fake stuff" for the most part. I have a hard time with fake plants. You know the ones. With fake leaves wrapped around the fake trunk so you can't tell it's a fake. However, I do love my "decorative" grave vine;) It's on top of my kitchen cabinets with twinkle lights, both woven around my favorite bottles of wine (empty of course), vintage wine glasses, and a hand-me-down Carnival punch bowl with a grape vine motif. I think the key is dusting. Dusty duds just look done.

Christi said...

Love the 'treasures' in the jar approach - I'll have to try that with all the junk - um, stuff - my boys drag in.

And, no fall wreath up yet. Normally I decorate the day after Labor Day, but can't seem to get my act together this year.

Kimba said...

Oh yeah, the beach is the best place to buy shells. ;-)

I like the idea of displaying your boy's treasures in those jars. Although if I did that right now, I would end up with a jar full of bugs, bottle caps and gum wrappers.

I posted about my fall door decoration yesterday. It's not exactly a wreath, but it works and it's full of fakes.

Whitney said...

I love me some fall decor! I just did a post on wall decor! Pictures! Yay! :)

Anonymous said...

Nester~
LOVE the jar of mixed boy treasures. Can't wait to see the fall wreath!

Kris said...

fabulous. love it all. great ideas!!!

Anonymous said...

I have read about your blog "Nesting Place" in different places, mainly 'A Beach Cottage' and thought it was about time I dropped by and had a peek for myself.

So glad I did, I love it!

Will be back again for more of your wonderful ideas and inspiration.

Cottagecheap said...

If it falls out of a birds tush it isn't FAKE! LOL

I think it is great you are letting your boys "TOUCH" feathers and stuff. Too many people forgetting they touch doors with more YUCK on them than nature has to offer! LOL

Great posts! I saw the WORLD's WORST fake yesterday and was without my camera. Picture FIVE FOOT fake tulips in a front yard in September.

Whatsoever is Pure said...

Hello long-lost friend! So sorry I haven't commented in a while...

I thought of you few days ago- I found this gorgeous door in somebody's trash and thought how nice it would look turned sideways over something.

I got on your blog and decided that I was going to find a post to attach this comment to- so put "door" in the search, but apparently you put the word "door" in every post- you decorator, you.

So that didn't work. That was a crazy run-on sentence. Your blogger friends are going to think I'm bananas.

Anyway. A huge THANKS for all the referrals from that post a million years ago. Seriously, girl- my site meter might as well just say "All your readers really belong to the Nester. She's fabulous and famous and all her posts use the word door."

You rock girl.

Heart,
Angelena :)

Amanda said...

Got my wreath up...stop by my blog, I would love your feedback, I have always been a big "do-er" around my house, but you/blog have really inspired a whole new push for me - I can't wait to post my mistreatment that I just did too..LOVE your work and blog!
Amanda

Free Art Printables said...

I love fake stuff! Faux is my middle name!! :)
I have a faux-pholstery tutorial if you're interested.. I know it would be right up there with the mistreatments! :) Jen R

These Are The Days said...

I wish our Goodwill had great finds like that. Ours has old sombreros and stained baby clothes. I guess I need to find me some good estate sales up in North Scottsdale. Thanks again for the enlightenment lesson. :)

Denise K. said...

Thanks for the great ideas Nester! I am anxious to put them to use...I think it is time for me to get rid of some of our fake "trees" that I am guilty of putting in corners just because I think it needs some "green" or something that looks living!

Hey, what is your opinion of "theme" rooms? I am guilty of having a rooster themed kitchen, a kitty themed bathroom in our 7 year old daughter's bedroom...is that too much? Is it better to stick to a color theme vs. some object theme?

Lastly, I have oodles of boxes of Halloween decorations, and then I change it all on Nov. 1st to turkeys and cornucopias. I am thinking of really changing things to a more grown up look...should I just mix fall colors, indian corn, pumpkins, etc...into a fall grouping vs. all the cutesy stuff like jack-o-lanters, etc... After reading this post I think I have gone way too cheesy when our kids were little and maybe need to grow up in my style!

Thanks for the good advice,and if time allows, let me know your thoughts on the above! :-)

SMILES!!!
Denise :-)

Kelly @ The Barefoot Mama said...

I'm still laughing at POOPIES. :o)

Love the nest!

Jessica said...

fakey smakey....I love it all!

Katharyn said...

Oh Oh Oh - large apothicary jars filled with small pumpkins, fake apples and dried leafs! That's a way to bring my favorite Washington Season with me to Arizona this winter (or well, next fall).

You never fail to inspire me!

Karen said...

No fall things out yet. I'm going to wait for the end of the month.... I'm still hoping for the weather to stay nice and summery -- summer went too fast!

I have already gotten Halloween costumes for the boys though, and looked at some Halloween books.