It's Better with Bullion

Want to raise your window treatments higher but don't want your drapes to look like capris? Why not get you some long bullion fringe and mistreat the bottom?


Paint color: Laura Ashley, Summer Field. This color looks so ugly and snakey on the sample and is glorious in every season on the walls! I've used it in my living room years ago and in my boys room and this photo was adjusted so you can see the drapes better but the color is a wonderful green!

50 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to hear your advice for those of us who have baseboard heaters under our windows! ALL of my curtains are capris because they would burn up otherwise.

Lori said...

I love this. I have been wondering what to do at the bottom of mine ever since the list of how not to decorate. I realized my curtains were a little short.
Thanks

Kristen said...

Clever. Thanks for letting me join your lunch today. I loved meeting you and chatting with you over those amazing sweet potato biscuits. Have fun in Nashville this weekend!

Laura said...

once again..Genius!

The Beauty Bargainista said...

Ohh, I like this a lot. I have added pannels of fabric before, but I never thought of the long fringe! I wonder where I can find that around here> hmmm....

Suzann said...

Great idea!

Anonymous said...

GREAT idea! I washed and dried some treatments at home, and now I have capris. I'll have to get me some of that fringe.

Kristi~The Slipcover Girl said...

aahhh! muchos gracias for the tip! I have curtains I need to do THAT to right now!

www.JusticeJonesie.com/blog said...

This is a great idea, thanks for the tip!

Kari said...

That's a great idea. And it's being held by hot glue???

Karol said...

Brilliant idea!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

ooooooo!

Wifeof1Momof4 said...

Hmmmmmm, I like that idea ... looks just right for my bedroom.

Wifeof1Momof4 said...

hahaha .. curtains looking like capris ... cute ..

shelbi said...

what a great idea! thank you...!

Meg said...

Never ceases to amaze me! That's a fantastic idea!

Tina said...

Ooooooo, I can do this!! I have been staring at my capri'd drapes and wondering what on earth I was thinking and how can I salvage the money I spent whilst not thinking!

Anonymous said...

Really looks good, thanks for the easy idea to add length.
Blessings-

Anonymous said...

that's a really great idea!!!

Hey, I have a new idhtbptbb post you might appreciate... :) I made a new bookshelf out of a bookshelf! LOL!

Katie said...

Very smart! Great tip.

the author said...

I completely need to do this for my daughter's naked bedroom windows...

Heather said...

Love it! Hey~what is your advice for the tops of kitchen cabs? Leave them alone? Or decorate?

Katie said...

Genius!!

Shell in your Pocket said...

You crack me up..."capris"!! Love it! I know you are a celebrity in the blogworld but I would love for you to be part of my 100th givewaway today!!!
-Sandy Toes

Screaming Meme said...

Girl, I love that! Great idea! I hate capri curtains...Sadly I have some in the gameroom until I can "mistreat" them with a complimentary fabric...I'll stow this idea away for later! Love it!

sherri said...

Clever! Love the wall color. Who makes it?

Runner Mom said...

Wow! Your blog is going to become one of my favs!! Just visting from Lysa T's blog! What fun y'all had the other day!!

I have those capri curtains also! Thanks so much for the wonderful idea.

I'll be back!!
Many blessings,
Susan

The Nester said...

wall color--I know it's gonna come to me.

It's an old ralph lauren color--something grass.

hmmmm it looks like an ugly color on the sample because it has yellow in it but it is perfect on the walls. spring grass? No. spring something...It used to be in our living room and it is a great color for all seasons.

This is now in my parent's house in the guest room. I'll ask her and get back.

The Frugal Countess said...

That fringe looks heavy. Would you recommend the glue gun or velcro?

My First Kitchen said...

Ooh, nice color. I usually stray from green walls, but that one is great. I hope you're enjoying the spontaneous visit!

The Nester said...

I'm lazy and do what's quick--glue gun for me.

If you want to do it "right" sew it on.

tee hee

Heathahlee said...

My drapes are just a tad bit to short and I've wanted to get some of that fringe for a while and gussy them up. The drapes are gold, and our walls are sage green...I was thinking brown fringe?? What do you think?

Amy Jo said...

Just popping over from Lysa T's blog. Love all the pics and ideas on your site...esp. the secret reading room...LOVE it! Sweet blessings from Oregon, Amy

Moi said...

that is a really great suggestion. thank you!

Sandy @ The Scoop on Balance said...

Just stopped by after Lysa's blog endorsement! Wow, what a great blog. I will definitely be back. I need all the help I can get in the decorating department. I'm good with color, but I am lazy in implementation. Looking forward to learning more from you.

Sandy Cooper
www.godspeakstoday.blogspot.com

Southern Charm said...

You glue gunned that? I may just have to give that one a try.

Aubrey said...

Read the Twilight books. READ them. You'll be hooked. Then read The Host.

Anyway, other than I think you should have titled this one It's Better With Boullion (just kidding you do what you want), I am wondering how How HOW you can tell from an ugly paint chip that on the wall it will be fabulous? I'm just curious, because I do not have that talent and AGONIZE over colors and then I pick the one that's pretty on the chip and uglier than sin and capri-ed window treatments, once it's on the wall, or dresser, or my leg.

Like, I just had the Home Depot chick mix me up a gallon of copied Tobacco Road knock off and though I KNOW it looks good on the walls, I told her it looks like puke, but that I had to join the Tobacco Road club. Oh, to have your gift of knowing.

Deserae said...

Great tip for lengthening panels~ love that wall color too :o)
~Des

Jennifer Owens said...

That's a great idea - really dresses things up too. Love your ideas girl!

Unknown said...

I have some short curtains in my bedroom I have been thinking about replacing. I love love this idea. I think I am going to have to try it!

Amy said...

curtains are my down fall! I really have no idea what to do with them. This tip and your many others have made me into a mistreatment diva. Love ya!

Gretchen said...

Great idea!

Looking forward to seeing everyone's wares!

Anonymous said...

I love fringes & trims, but had just never thought to do this & I've got some "capris" in my den! Thanks for the great tip!, Patti

The Golf Widow said...

Thanks for the paint name. I've been looking for a great green. Your right they all look bad on the swatch. I'm a chicken when it comes picking paints!

The Nester said...

Aubrey, thanks for the title!

Can you come live with me and title all of my posts?

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I just bought some drapes for my bedroom that are too short but great in color and style! I have been thinking what to do! Well, you gave me my answer!

Aubrey said...

Yeah, if you let me be your intern and follow you everywhere and glean from your vast decorating knowledge.

Kris said...

Okay, I have been putting off dealing with my curtains need desperately needed to be raised, but are going to be too short (and I love them!). This is a perfect solution!

Tracey said...

Thanks Nester I need thus post for my new kitchen curtains that need to be higher but then would be too short. Where do I get said bullion?

These Are The Days said...

You've just solved my problem!