
If you don't want to read all about how I finally got something that I've always wanted and how happy it makes me then please stop reading now. Because I got something that I've always wanted and it makes me so happy. And after you read this, you are gonna want one too. If you don't want to want one, you might want to stop reading now as well.
Fair warning.
Up at the top is a photo of our old house. The before photo. And this right above these words is the after. I wrote all about it here. I loved that house. I adored that house. It wasn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination but it was quite beautiful.
Then we had to sell it. And move. I remember when we moved the one regret I had was that I never had one of those artists come and draw my house for me. You know how people have a portrait done of their home? I figured it would be thousands of dollars and I'd have to have some weird person with a beret and big easel sit in my yard for a few days and freak out the neighbors.
Then came Karol. We've been reading each other's blogs for over a year. She's an artist. And a month or so ago she let me know that if I could send her a photo of my old house she could draw it. With colored pencils. I did. Thinking she would draw me a postcard sized house that might resemble the photo. I couldn't wait to see it.
You can imagine my surprise when the UPS man showed up at my door last week with a box as large as our fireplace surround. This non postcard sized rendering was framed and triple matted. And had the unmistakable ambiance of our house. Our yard. Our birch trees with the zillions of tiny leaves that started falling in July. Those shutters that my husband made and I painted Restrained Gold. The painted brick that took me 2 weeks to find the right shade of off white. She got every detail right.
I am madly in love with the newest addition to our home. Karol, you will never know how much I adore this work of art and I'll treasure it forever. We have so many memories there and I love that I can look at it every day. If our house where we live now caught on fire and our family was safely out and I had 2 minutes to grab what I could, this rendering would be in the first trip out the door.
Maybe you are like me and you get a little sentimental about your home. Maybe you had to move out of a home you loved. Maybe your childhood home has special significance. Maybe this is the perfect gift for someone. The great part is that Karol does not need to come sit in your yard. She doesn't need a beret. She can capture your home or a favorite spot from a photograph.
Karol has an amazing website where you can see some samples of her work. Click here to see my house as it was being drawn. I am beyond impressed with her artistic ability. This is one of those items that is worth spending your hard earned money on. It's not cheap, it's priceless. And it wasn't even thousands of dollars.
A Picture Worth a Thousand...
Scrawled out by
The Nester
on
1/14/2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

88 comments:
That is beautiful!
Gorgeous! The house and the artwork! Lucky you!
What a beautiful picture to own and oh, the memories are now captured forever! Just a few minutes ago I was missing my dream home that we built and moved away from to get closer to grandchildren. What a wonderful treasure!
Its beautiful.
Aw, how amazing for you! I love that you are so sentimental and that a drawing of something you love is enough for to feel all warm and fuzzy about it. So happy that you got that piece of art!
WOW! Really pretty
Just beautiful! What a transformation on the house.
Sheesh, no pressure.
That picture is so freaking awesome. Too bad I don't really love my house, or I'd want it idolized in art, or whatever it's called--imobilized? I know it's SOMEthing! Itemized? I give up.
I'm a little disappointed though--I was getting very excited, thinking you were announcing that you got to buy that house back. It'd be so worth it just for the shutters. I'm going to hope they were semi-easy-relatively-speaking to make so I can talk my husband into making some or suddenly acquire man muscles and man-thinking-that-miraculously-is-more-inclined-to-construction-than-ours and do it myself.
I am just a little obsessed with the shutters.
I do believe I have actually laid in bed thinking about them when I cannot fall asleep, trying to decide which size wood would work best for my reproductions.
how special! what a beautiful home. i love the after shot!! and she did a great job for you!!!
Grh. I realize that you have heard more than enough from me already, but I'll have you know I awas googling fabric today and stumbled upon this fabric website that is kind of a good one and I JUST NOTICED that you have it under your 'Nester Recommends' thing. I could have my saved myself a little trouble, since I do everything you tell us to do. Oh well, I guess Google isn't that evil. How obvious is it that I'm not very observant?
I always knew that old house of yours would make a perfect work of art! So glad that you'll always have such a precious keepsake of all your hard work!
Wow, that is REALLY good! I'm so happy for you to have such a wonderful treasure!! I'll have to do that of the house I grew up in {that I am also fortunate enough to live in with my family}
Wow, that is Awesome!! She is Awesome . Lucky you.. mishelle
Wow what a awesome job Karol did on your artwork. I know you are so proud. Beautiful.
Love it! When we purchased our somewhat historical home in Atlanta, our realtor gave us a hand painted rendering as a closing gift, and I cherish it! There is something about having your favorite house framed in watercolor or oil pastels!
Just beautiful, girl. Just beautiful.
I've actually seen your drawing as it was in progress. I have no idea how I landed on Karol's site but I was nosing around there one day and saw the in-process drawing. I thought, "HEY! That looks suspiciously like Nester's old house!" And then I realized, "HEY! That IS Nester's old house!"
Is it completely crazy that I can identify your old house from a half-done drawing?
Can't wait to see you!
Kimba
How sweet. It makes me happy to see you so giddy. What a nice thing for her to do.
Wow - that's amazing!
Wonderful!!!! I love it!
It was a beautiful house, truly!
-sandy toe
beautiful house, beautiful picture and it looks like it was always meant to be in the spot where you hung it!
She did a great job! I think I am definitely going to do this once we have a house.
Wow! I know why you loved your old house. It's very pretty. I know when you look at the gorgeous drawing of your home everyday, it must be bittersweet. Maybe one day, it will be for sale again, and you'll be in a position to buy it back. Sometimes, things come full circle. Thanks for sharing Karol's website info. I'll check it out. She is "uber" talented for sure! I could NEVER draw that good. Thanks for sharing your personal story and beautiful home.
She is fabulously talented! And no beret? Unbelievable. Once outside my house is painted, I'm gonna have to have her do mine. And is it just me, or did Blogger change fonts overnight?
Oh my!!! That is fabulous, and what a terrific gift!! It is a real treasure! Wow!
Suzanne
That's gorgeous, Nester!
I loved my last home and always wanted to get a replica mailbox, of all things, of it, but they are kind of pricey!
I am going to check out your friend's blog now.
Bella
PS: I have a beret on in my photo, ha!
Beautiful!!!
Beautiful! What a great heirloom piece to have.
And it looks beautiful in it's new spot, too!
Absolutely gorgeous! What a talented artist...and thoughtful friend.
Btw, the before and after pics of your house are AMAZING! I am dying to have my house painted. I love the look of painted brick. Any tips or suggestions? Most people look at me like I am some crazy loon just escaped from the mental ward when I say I want to paint my brick house.
I need one...need one now. She captured your art beautifully. I am incredibly impressed. Your home was beautiful and now you will forever get to enjoy it.
That is so beautiful. What a special drawing to own! As soon as the trees and shrubs grow in at my new house (they were only planted about 8 months ago), I want one, too!
My parents used to live in a gorgeous little house in the Florida Keys, but they sold it to move closer to my elderly grandparents. When they sold the house, their Realtor presented them with a drawing of their house, much like yours. They have it hanging in their new house in Tennessee as a little reminder that life is a paradise, no matter where you live.
What a fun thing to have!
And just so you know, I loved that house too. Every time you hosted something there, I would just take it all in.
I love it!
Wow, It's gorgeous! I did see it on karol's blog. She has amazing talent! I would love my home done!
What a treasure!
Oh wow how beautiful.
Very nice! Now, to get a house that's drawing-worthy...
Beautiful, absolutely beautiful! Such an amazing keepsake.
Laura
Gorgeous. That man's got some talent!
What a special gift, and something to treasure for years to come! Your boys may fight over this one day!
Wow, she did an excellent job! I'm glad that she completely exceeded your expectations, awesome!! Thanks for sharing this.
Whoa!! That girl's got some talent! SO beautiful!!!
I'm a sentimental one too :)
Awww, that makes me want to cry! I could tell how much that house meant to you (not because I know you, but just from reading your blog) and it's just so wonderful that you can have a piece of that beautiful house with you wherever you go. I may have to look into this. I'd love something like that of my house too.
Wow! Is all I can say...She nailed it! What a great artist! I know the depth of love you had for that house...You still have it in my heart and your memories and I love to read about you explaining how much you love that home...It is a love story in it's self!
Just beautiful! And I love where you hung it. Heading over to Karol now...
Absolutely beautiful. What a treasure. Love it.
That is beautiful!! I've always wanted a picture like that of our home! I love it!
So happy for you!
wow....this is just stunning! I love it!
How lovely! I am so excited for you! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!!
Hugs,
Susan
I love it !! Now I am wondering if I will have to sell my first born to have her do one for me.
I think I feel a blow the budget situation coming on.
Oh, Nester - How teary I am. What a beautiful job Karol did. Certainly, you WILL treasure this. I am in awe of both of you.
~Karin
What a keepsake. That is awesome!!!
What a sweet and generous friend!
How very very special!!! Truly amazing, I must go check her website.
LuLu
Can I just order your house? It is so beautiful.
You're right, that's just priceless. What a thoughtful friend! And it's just beautful!
That is beautiful! I am beyond jelouse of people who can draw and paint, she does amazing work. I am also jealous of that house, I love houses that have that kind of charm. I live where all the houses come from the same mold, you can choose A,B, or C. I love my home and am greatful for my home but my hart melts for those kind of original houses. See I will comment with out you giving something away, but I tend to ramble so you might start wishing I didn't.
What an incredible gesture of admiration! The artwork and frame are beautiful. Before we moved out of our first home, where our boys were born, I had my 80+ year old grandmother do a water paint print of our home. She had not learned to paint until she was over eighty and in a retirement home. I knew that was going to be my special parting gift from her.She died three years later and it is the most precious thing she ever gave me. Now I will know who to call on the paint my newest and last home. Thanks for sharing...such a wonderful gift.
~Misti
Any idea what it costs? There isn't any price information on Karol's website. So, so gorgeous!
i've always wanted the done too!!! that is the most gorgeous thing! how special for the boys to remember the home that way!
this is gorgeous! BTW...that sticker on my washer...is like totally seared on! Any sticker removal tips?
I've only started reading your blog, but what a doll that she did that for you!
She's a keeper!!
k-
That is so wonderful! I love it!!!
Jen
What a treasure for sure! I wish I was that talented!
Simply Beautiful .
Oh so pretty! I know you will cherish that. A friend of mine did a watercolor of our "First House", it is one of those things I hope to have until I'm old and grey!
Goodness! How gorgeous! I might just have to have this done....thanks for the website info!
Beautiful. Just beautiful. I love it! Some day I'll have a house of my own to have drawn in colored pencils. Until then...
What a beautiful piece of artwork.
Amazing! What a treasure!
That is gorgeous!!
Oh my word...that is beautiful! I too am sentimental, my hubby does not quite get it but I am. I think I get that from my mother. Among other things my hubby does not like that I get from her as well ;)
Ashley Nichole
Oh, how marvelous! She really captured the look of your beautiful home!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)
That is GORGEOUS. WOWOWOW. I had wanted to have my old house painted when we moved here. I looked into it but couldn't afford it. Hmmmmm... :-)
How beautiful! We just moved into a brand new big house a mile away from our old house. And suprisingly, I miss our old house something awful! I planned to get a big plate done at our local pottery store with a drawing of our other house. But I can't even look at a picture of it now without being in tears! So, I want to do something just like that, when I am ready! It's nice to know I'm not alone in missing a house!
How wonderful! It would be amazing to add some flowers, shrubs, a picket fence, extra children(new car)....and then hand the picture to your hubby and say "I think you better get busy!" Big smile!
Love it!
Debbie
This picture is lovely as is her website!
It is a gorgeous house! She did a fantastic job of bringing it to life! I love your display of it as well, the frame is amazing, you have such great taste and finds! I would love to come to your house for inspiration and walk around! :)
I love it! What a great memory preserved in art! I wish I had a house I loved that much that I could capture.
Hope all is well with you. Been a dork and haven't emailed or commented much. I'm sure you're carefully preparing your words of wisdom for all the Blissdom ladies. I'm there next year! Hope you're speaking again... if you haven't decided to take the position as White House Decorator:)
Oh, showing before shots of my kitchen today on my blog... there's a mistreatment in there just for you:) I'll have the afters when hubby finishes up school next month and I attack the kitchen with a paintbrush. Can't wait!
Love you girl!
P. Organizer
I'm so happy for you! That is beautiful!!
Karol, you're amazing!!
Jamie
What a lovely picture your beautiful past home makes!
I'd love one of my prevoius home but I fear it would just be too bittersweet. It's a home I didn't want to leave. Styled after an 1800's floor plan, full wrap around veranda, just so perfect.
How do you do it, looking at the pic when you wish you could be INSIDE the pic? I commend you.
Donna
Girl! it is beautiful and I so need to talk to you! I am in love with painted brick houses - in fact we are really close to buying a brick house in Winston and I really would like to paint it an off white. how on earth did you decide on a color??? I'd love any advice you may have...
How exciting!! What a wonderful and unique piece you have.
I love that the home you put so much love and sweat into is now a piece of art that you can enjoy every day. She did a great job! It looks wonderful displayed above your chest of drawers.
WOW - that is beautiful!
Absolutely breathtaking. I hope someday our home is filled with so many memories of our family that I will want to capture it like this.
This photo might actually change Steve's mind about the painted brick. It is truly a breathtaking difference and adds the character I so long for in our house. Our house looks much like this, only it's a straight up two-story colonial. I want to glass in the front porch like an atrium. I think I told you that at the lunch table one day. Seeing your finished product really makes me want to go to bat again. Thanks!!
Post a Comment