Tobacco Road Block


I've gotten lots of emails lately about Tobacco Road {thanks Kathy!}. You know, my favorite paint color that looks good with every other color but pink? Some of you have used it and love it and some of you can't find it. Have you used it? If so, where did you get it?


From what I gather TR started out as a Duron color and I think Sherwin Williams bought them out. Last year I called someone--Duron? SW? And was told they could still mix it for you if you asked for the original formula Tobacco Road.


So spill it. Where did you buy your paint? Want to share the formula in the comments? Feel free to leave a link to a post showing where you used Tobacco Road and if you like it. Thanks!

120 comments:

Nancy Wyatt said...

HeHe! I had to take a second glance at the last picture to see if that really was a young boy on the table. I was so busy looking at the great wall color with the white plates I almost missed him!

Rachel Berry said...

Oh you so rock for posting this! I'll be lurking in the comment section for the Forumla for this paint color!

Come on ladies help out a small town girl with some awesome paint color secret info! This little town I live in has N.O.T.H.I.N.G.

Thanks Nester! This is always something I wanted to ask but was too chicken to do it. :)

Amanda said...

TR is in my kitchen - adore it! We got it last August at Duron. I just told them it was off of the "old" color chart. They pulled it up on their computer and mixed it right up. I've also used "Plantation Beige" (color next to TR on the paint chip) in my bedroom and love that too!

Thanks Nester for sharing this fabulous color!

Anonymous said...

TR looks oh-so-much like Whole Wheat by Sherwin Williams. Have you ever compared swatches? It's just the perfect color - a little khaki-ish, a little gold-ish, but not too much gold in it. Tried it in my bedroom and I'm going to paint my kitchen, laundry room and family room the same color soon. Looks awesome with my white woodwork and new venetian bronze door knobs, if I do say so myself.

Anonymous said...

I live in Oregon and went to my Miller Paint store and they did have an old swatch for Tobacco Road and gave it to me. I took it to Home Depot and they color matched it. I couldn't be happier, I've used it in my spare bedroom, bathroom, master bedroom and bath. It's beautiful and I get a lot of compliments.

Julie said...

I'm wracking my brain for a room that "needs" to be pained. I will definitely bookmark this post for future reference - thank you all!

Amanda said...

Straight from my Duron paint can-

Eggshell (Quart Size)

8214 Tobacco Road
Custom Sher-Color Match

CHR COLORANT OZ 48 96 192
L-Raw Umber - 22 1 -
C-Yellow Ox - 27 1 -

Quart
DU0029103

Midtone
601822026

dusty@TheRedPolkaDot said...

My mother and I have been looking for this color it feels like all of our lives. We saw it one day on a reality tv show and couldn't stop thinking about it. It is so many places but we never knew where to find it. Thank you thank you from the depths of our soul now we can move on with life and get to painting.

Rachel Berry said...

I did some digging and came up with this link for the color code!

Hope this helps someone.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg1121104612799.html

Denise K. said...

Hi Nester!

About a month ago we were having our entire main floor painted..vaulted ceilings, etc..I was desperate to find this color...I knew you recommended it...We combed your site on one of your links and we searched for TR paint on your search button. We read all your posts regarding TR and went on a hunt!

I gave the info to Wal-Mart, Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore, Lowes, Home Depot and every sample came out different! It was tricky to know which was the correct shade. So, we ultimately ended up with Whole Wheat from Sherwin Williams and really like it. It's very warm and cozy and looks terrific with the black kitchen table, ( I didn't paint the old oak one, but found a GREAT deal on a new black one with black legs and a wood top! It goes well with my attempt at French Country!)

I also took your advise from your paint posts and did a chocolate accent wall above the kitchen cabinets because ours are a light wood...and also used the same chocolate brown, (English Brown from Ben Moore) above a huge wall of built ins as your advise was right...it would be too washed out having the tan color next to the tan wood. Yes, we fans do read all the link posts and learn a lot! :-)

I can send some photos if you're interested. I knew you weren't currently doing your online design work, so I didn't want to bother you with questions, but your website was very detailed and it gave us a great place to start and I SO appreciate that! Just as you tell your readers, sometimes you just have to do it, and take that chance when it comes to DIY decorating! It worked!

Back to TR, each paint company claims to have it, but honestly, I had 13 samples on my walls of that shade as well as others, and all of the TR samples were imposters. Some had too much of a green undertone, some verged on brown and some were quite yellowy...you should have seen our walls. In hindsight I should have sent you a photo and asked you to pick out the "real" TR! hee hee

Good luck to your readers, and Happy Painting! :-)

Denise K. said...

P.S. Sorry, I should have read all the comments first, but here in Colorado I couldn't find a Duron paint store. (Sherwin Williams said they bought them out?) Anyway, when I gave the forumla you listed to other stores, they couldn't match it from the numbers as every paint company has different codes..figures, doesn't it. BUT, each company also had their own take on TR and that's were all the variation came into play...this is a very interesting topic isn't it...I've rambled on and on! hee hee

Anonymous said...

How much trouble could I get into if I painted in a rental? That color is sooo gorgeous I think it'd be worth the trouble.... you have me really thinking on this one ~

Anonymous said...

In CA it is found at Dunn Edwards one shade away from my favorite color, Millet.

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger said...

My pals at the HD have always been able to mix colors for me, even if they don't carry the brand...love being able to one-stop shop!!! : )

Crazy Mom of 6 said...

I love your house!!! Its exactly what I want for my house. Love the blog.

Fruitful Vine Lady said...

Hi Nester,
I just bought some TR paint and painted my bathroom a couple of weeks ago. LOVE it. I got mine at Lowe's. I told them that it was Duron Tobacco Road, and they were able to pull it up on their computer. They typed in Tobacco Road, and would you believe that there were several companies listed with paint by that name? I told them it had to be the Duron brand. I actually had them looking at your website on my iPhone. Pretty funny, really. It really is the perfect color.

Amber Filkins said...

I have a favorite paint color that I've used in both of our houses, and it looks quite a bit like that. I believe it's called Oregon Coast. I la la love it.

I put the color Cinncinati Hotel by Valspar in our bathrooms, halls, & laundry room, and love that color in there. It's like a very light chocolate milk color. Love it.

Pretty Organizer said...

Dreaming of wet paint are we? My house is covered with it girl. Kitchen's gett'n a face lift... and I'm drooping. Holy cow, who knew what junk I had deep down in those cabinet crevices! Scrubbed my hands raw.

Good luck with the quest! Hope you find the Holy Grail of Tobacco Road:)

Pretty Organizer

N said...

there are two tobacco roads! I actually have painted many rooms in my house this color, so it's so funny to have seen this on your blog. the one i use is originally from duron, who was bought out by sherwin williams. i can't find it in the store any longer, so i have to bring in my original paint chip. sw does have a tobacco road, but it looks like a different color-more of a yellow to it. i haven't used the sw one because i like the duron one for my home a little more. i wish it wasn't so hard to find the duron formula, though! not sure if this helps, but thought i would let you know what i know :)

Anonymous said...

I posted a picture of the Lowes formula on my blog at http://bauman2009.wordpress.com/2009/03/17/tobacco-road-paint-the-lowes-formula/

Katie said...

I'm so glad you posted this. I want (NEED) that color!

jessiev said...

I love the TR. It reminds me very much of the B. Moore color Everlasting that I have in many rooms in my house. Looks so good with so many things. I especially love it with creamy whites(like the wainscotting on the wall in the pic).

My Garden of Eden said...

Hey Nester,

I love the color. Your home is beautiful! I do have a question about your table. Did you paint it by chance? I am debating painting mine but am a beginner that I am a little scared. If you did paint yours do you mind sharing any tips? Thanks.

The Nester said...

@ My Garden: I didn't paint mine but Kimba painted hers and gave a step by step tutorial about a month ago!

WOW!!! Y'all are tobacco road experts! There is a "tobacco road" color in almost every paint maker's color wheel so watch out! Duron's old formula is for sure my love but, it sounds like it's a great color no matter where you get it from!

Keep the comments comming--any one have the gallon code for the old Duron TR?

Or the Gallon code for the Lowes or HOme Depot color match?

The Nester said...

@bauman--that lowe's color looks great--just remember that's the quart formula so tell them that if you are having a gallon made so they will know--I don't know if it makes a difference or not!

Kathi said...

I'm not a fan of this color but I really DO like the details in your second photo! Love the red toile, the plaid drapes with the tassel trim! They would look great in my "new" yellow living room!

Anonymous said...

Got mine mixed at Lowe's using the photo of your TR paint can lid you posted long ago. It was comical when the clerk asked if he finally had the right color and I tried to explain I had no idea because I got the recipe off a blog, from a woman I don't know, whose house I've never seen in real person....

ps--I like the color although I think it probably looks best with white trim.

Stacey said...

I bought it at Lowe's. I just told them I needed Duron Tobacco Road and they looked the formula up on their little computer. Turned out to not be exactly the right color for me but I appreciated that they could do that.

Stacey said...

I bought it at Lowe's. I just told them I needed Duron Tobacco Road and they looked the formula up on their little computer. Turned out to not be exactly the right color for me but I appreciated that they could do that.

The Nester said...

@Kathy--YES TR looks so great with white trim!

Karrie said...

Lowe's!!! I printed the photo that the Nester took of the label on the lid of a Lowe's can in her 2/6/08 post and took it to the paint desk and they mixed it. It's perfect! Photo posted on my blog of how it turned out. Looks GREAT and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. I wish the WHOLE HOUSE was painted that color! Rocks!
Thanks Nester!!

Karrie in Southern IN

Anonymous said...

I went to our Farrell-Calhoun paint store, they have it on their color deck.

http://www.farrellcalhoun.com/wheretobuy.htm

I used it in our family, kitchen and dining rooms. We just love it!

Sandy said...

Is that a little Nester boy on the table? Love it!

We painted our house with Latte (Sherwin Wiliams) 4 yrs. ago. Most of inside with that, dining with olive greens and a rich rust color in the loft. Still love the colors.

I really like that Nester boy though!

Kasey said...

I have a very similar color in my boys room.
xo

Anonymous said...

Hi Nester, This is my first time leaving a post. I have been stalking your site for a few weeks now and I love all that you do, you are amazing! With that being said.... I went on a mad search to find Tobacco Road.I thought my search would be difficult,but it was not. I went to Sherwin Williams and low and behold they had a color deck from Duron Paint with TR in it! I simply had them make a sample quart of TR and I was on my way. I must say that I am cheap, so I did not purchase my paint there. I took my sample to Home Depot and they matched it. It took two tries for them to get it right but they did it. Thanks for all of your help, April

Anonymous said...

Hi Nester, This is my first time leaving a post. I have been stalking your site for a few weeks now and I love all that you do, you are amazing! With that being said.... I went on a mad search to find Tobacco Road.I thought my search would be difficult,but it was not. I went to Sherwin Williams and low and behold they had a color deck from Duron Paint with TR in it! I simply had them make a sample quart of TR and I was on my way. I must say that I am cheap, so I did not purchase my paint there. I took my sample to Home Depot and they matched it. It took two tries for them to get it right but they did it. Thanks for all of your help, April

lyn said...

i will have to post pics of my house on my blog. i've painted my entry, foyer, upstairs "common areas", family room, kitchen and 2 halls the FAKE TR color. basically i used it in all the "common areas" in my home b/c it goes so well with every color. one of the draw backs in the open floor plans is you have to plan your colors a little better because you can see more than one room from the same spot!

anyway, i went to my LOWES, i had them look up TR in their system. i was THRILLED to find they had it. i also had them make a quick sample using your formula from the lid you posted. yeah....NOT AT ALL THE SAME COLOR!!!! i was literally in tears. i had gotten a 5 gal bucket of the formula they had in their computer. luckily they took it back and i had i bought 5 individual gals using the formula you posted. TY TY TY TY so much for posting a pic of the lid! i get so many compliments and i just smile! ;)

Heathahlee said...

I have a couple of friends who both recently painted their homes with TR and I believe they said it was Sherwin Williams. But then I was too busy admiring how good it looked to really pay attention.

Anonymous said...

Sherwin Williams did buy Duron. I was in the store and I asked for the sample size 4.99 of Tobacco Road and the guy mixed it. Now I'm not sure if I said Duron brand. It is a dark kind of gold. My house doesn't have a lot of light so I wonder what you think. Should that color only be used in a room with lots of natural light?

Anonymous said...

LOL, I have never used TR, but I was reading your post and admiring your dining room when I noticed someone was on the table and had to laugh.
I have a Behr color in my house that is similiar to your TR it's called Warm Honey.

duchess said...

Being from NC & a huge college hoops fan, I love any paint color called Tobacco Road. I'll have to see if I can get it when I'm ready to redo my living areas.
Enjoy St. Patty's day.

Vanessa Greenway said...

Lovely! Thanks Amanda for sharing the formula! Vanessa

emily freeman said...

I think Tobacco Road was a Duron color and when Sherwin Williams and Duron colors 'merged', they got rid of the Toabacco Road color fan. So now, TR isn't on either color fan, technically. At Duron they can pull out the old fan, but I'm not sure they can do that at SW. I bought mine at Duron and asked to look at their old fan.

emily freeman said...

Amy - Whole Wheat and TR are close...but TR has more yellow-y in it.

Anonymous said...

Great color, SW did buy Duron and they with match any competitors color any time, buy SW!!! My husband is a SW rep!

Anonymous said...

I just went to Lowes and asked them if they had it in their computer. They sure did! And last month I went back to get some paint for my bathroom and asked for Sherwin Williams "Svelte Sage" and they had that, too! Loving both of them. I did not have to know anything other than the brand and color name. They acted as if this happens all day long. Thank you! I love my colors!!!!

Anonymous said...

I think I went to sherwin williams, got a sample of it and then took it to Lowes who matched it because it was cheaper there. Half of my house is TB. I love it! I hope this helps. I don't have the color code though. Sorry:)

Anonymous said...

You can always write down the "recipe" that they put on the label on the top of the can.

Jennifer said...

Great timing on this post! I'm going to buy paint for my son's room today, and I still haven't decided on a color. I may ask about TR. I'm also looking at SW nomadic desert and whole wheat. Decisions! There are before pictures on my blog.

Anonymous said...

I found it at a Duron store. I had to ask for it, but the guy knew right away what to do. He said it had been retired, as they change all their paint colors every 10 years. We did our bathroom and love it!

Unknown said...

I have no helpful information to add to this conversation, I'm just a little angry at you all for making me want to repaint! ;)
TR is such a beautiful color, it inspires redecorating ideas, just to find a place to use it!

Heather said...

Mine isn't Tobacco Road, but it's an almost identical color from Benjamin Moore called Powell Buff. It leans a little green at night in tungsten lighting, but looks warm and mellow in daylight. Love it.

Connie said...

Okay, so I'm glad I'm not crazy...I went to Home Depot this weekend in search of Tobacco Road Paint because I fell in love with it on so many blogs. I could NOT find it anywhere and told the dude at HD I was going to have to go online and do a search to find out who carries it. Lo and Behold...this post comes up. I am THRILLED! Your timing is impeccable.

queenbee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I've had decorator friends all recommend the same color to me: Blonde from Sherwin Williams. We painted our sunroom that color and love it!!

shabby southern girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nancy said...

I just went to Sherwin Williams yesterday and asked for Duron Tobacco Road. The clerk looked it up, mixed it and saved the formula on my SW account. I will be using it this weekend, I hope it's truly Tobacco Road, looks like on the can!

Stacy @ The Next-to-Nothing House said...

I went into the dreaded basement for this one ladies.....for Duron's TR (1 gallon)...

Medium Base
CHR Colorant 01 48 96 192
B Black -16 1-
I Brown Ox -10 1-
C Yellow Ox 2 42 1-

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

I have not used Tobacco Road. I've always loved Restrained Gold, which looks to be very similar. You can get it at Sherwin Williams. I have never laid them out side by side so they may not be the same, but I can guarantee you Restrained Gold is lovely!

happy day!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

I got mine at Lowes just told the paint guy the color was called Tobacco Road by Duron. He looked it up on their computer found the formula and mixed me some. It is now on my kitchen walls and even my DH loves it. Next it's going into my bathroom. Thanks for telling us about such a great color. Debbie P.S. I love how it seems to change in the light.

Kristy said...

I went to Lowes with the info. from the paint lid on your blog. She mixed it with Olympic paint using a manual dispense
107-2Y9
101-13.5
109-3
I love it in natural light, the only problem is anywhere I have florescent lighting it brings out the yellow too much. I am wondering if I have the true color after reading some of the comments?

Victoria Hayden said...

I love your post on this, mainly because of your son on the table! I am laughing, becasue this is what my life is like with 4 boys...I never know what I might find them doing or on (like my table)! I appreciate you truly showing us "It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful", I love it!! I will try to remember this when I am trying to get a "perfect picture" and then one of my boys get in it doing something that my brain can't quite comprehend why it was neccessary...I guess I would have to think like a boy! lol. Maybe having them a part of it really does make it "perfect"!

~Victoria~

Stacy @ The Next-to-Nothing House said...

I'm not sure if this really matters, but in the above formula that I left it should be like this...
Midtone
CHR Colorant 01 48 96 192
B Black 16 1
I Brown Ox 10 1
C Yellow Ox 2 42 1

Not sure if it will come out right on here....if not then when you write it down write the Colorant numbers in a line....Black 16 should be under the 48, Black 1 should be under the 96....Brown Ox 10 should be under the 16, Brown Ox 1 should be under the 1.....Yellow Ox 2 should be under the 01 (of the Colorant, 42 under the 10 (of Brown Ox) and 1 under 1 (of Brown Ox).....

I know....clear as mud!

Anonymous said...

Hey Nester,
Where did that dining room chandelier come from? It's exactly what I'm looking for for my kitchen dining area. Love that TR, also!

Stacy @ The Next-to-Nothing House said...

Forgot to add that the difference between the Duron TR and Sherwin Williams TR is that SW doesn't add the Brown Ox.....o.k. gotta go paint now :)

{darlene} said...

Great! copied that paint color formula. Thanks Nester and Amanda!

Anonymous said...

Yes will the real Tobacco Road please stand up? Hey Nester can you explain how this color works in different light. For ex. dark home, bright home, night lighting.Or maybe you and remodeling guy could do a series on good paint selections based on lighting. My home doesn't have great lighting because of a roof overhang. Oh please do!! Thanks Jill

Kelly said...

Oh, this is the answer I have been looking for. We move into our new house April 4th and I am planning to paint the kitchen (maybe more!) tobacco road.
Your post is the answer to my prayers:-) Can't wait to read the replies.

Anonymous said...

Wooden Spoon, Martha Stewart, Lowe's. Very close to this color...love it!!

MilkMaid

Simply Redheads said...

We put tobacco road in all the main areas of our house. I loves it!! It looks different in every room, and especially at different times of the day. We got it at sherman williams.

Painter's Place said...

I'm getting ready to paint my kitchen. I'll have to try this. Luv it!!

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

I used it on a few walls in my living room and I love it! I don't usually go that warm with paint color, but I haven't regretted it for a moment. It makes the room feel so cozy and inviting.

I painstakingly followed your instructions by printing the photo of the paint lid you posted forever ago and taking it to Lowes to have it mixed. I used Olympic paint instead of Valspar and regretted it the moment I said it (Valspar's better quality)...this is why you should never buy paint when you're on your way home for work at 7:45 at night :).

MDiskin said...

Nester -- what about whites that go well with TR? I always have a dilemma picking out the right trim shade. And would a good trim shade also be the right shade for cabinets, if a kitchen was painted with TR? (am I making sense?)

Ditto on the light issues mentioned above -- my kitchen and living areas get tons of light (south and west exposures).

alison said...

Here in Colorado it was sold by Kwal Howells, but stopped about 3 years ago. I color matched at Wal-Mart (b/c I'll only paint in Kilz interior colors--I'm just lazy that way). I went back earlier this year an had a few more gallons mixed up to do the upstairs. This time they used a lighter base, so the finished product is a tad bit lighter, but same tone.
Kilz Mixing Code:

B 0Y28.500/48
F 0Y 8.000/48
T 2Y46.500/48

1 gallon bright white base (base 1) Kilz interior colors latex paint @ Wal-Mart. about $20/gallon.

Summer said...

Ah ha! I've been stewing over what to pain my bathroom. I wanted some thing warm and neutral and cheery. I think this is the one! THANKS!

Christi said...

I agree with the 4th commenter Amy - Sherwin Williams Whole Wheat IS the same color as Tobacco Road - and it's painted throughout our new house with the exception of the dining room.

It was Duron color #8214 - when we bought our paint from SW, I told them that and that Whole Wheat was the exact match.

LOVE this color!

Elizabeth said...

I love the beautiful photos of your house (especially the one with your son on the table - I have one like that, too!).

Don't know anything about that color of paint. But your house is beautiful!

Blessings,
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

I bought Tobacco Road at Sherwin Williams. It's painted in several rooms at our nonprofit home and I LOVE it!!!

I took the original paint number from Duron which is #8214 and SW made it for me. I think it has a new name now not sure.

Jennifer said...

I just got back from my Sherwin Williams. They had the old Duron TR swatch, so I could compare. I think that TR looks slightly darker and greener than Whole Wheat, but they are very similar. TR is also similar to Blonde, but Blonde has a slightly more gold undertone. I bought a sample of Whole Wheat and I think that is the color I'm going with.

I thought it was funny that as soon as I asked about the old Duron Tobacco Road, they knew exactly what I was talking about! One of the guys said that he mixes a ton of it for one particular professional painter. Whenever this painter has a customer looking for a warm neutral, that is what he recommends!

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

I love your TR also. My bedroom could use a darker shade. This will so not happen in the next 5 years or so. Maybe I should let the boys rub all over the walls or something so my hubby will give in!
~Misti

2 Little Irish Boys said...

Love this talk about paint! I need help. My family room is currently red-yellow sofas, great light green swirly designed chair and custom made window curtains/pillows that pull it all togeteher. Problem is.....the family room doesn't get much light. A lighter/neutral color would make the room so much bigger. I have never used anything except red with these furnishings--help!! Do I go neutral or what should I paint this room? vhobrien@comcast.net

Unknown said...

I have been thinking about redoing my kitchen and tobacco road was the color I was thinking of plus painting my cabinets. Love your pictures, especially the boy on the dining room table... TYPICAL BOY AND KEEPING IT REAL!!!!

Love you Nester!

Cynthia

Anonymous said...

I have used it...I love it and fell in love with it here on your blog! All I did was print off the formula that you had (it was a picture you took of the top of your can) took that to my local Duron/Sherwin Williams.....and they had no problem!

A Hint of Home said...

Love the color. Your dining room is stunning. Did you paint the tray in the ceiling a different color?

Little Bug Moments said...

I have DH convinced, we are going to find this color and re-paint the bathroom to begin with ... had no intention of doing so until this all began :-)

Anonymous said...

This is too funny! I work at a paint store a couple days a week, and while I've never heard anyone ask for Tobacco Road, I'm pretty sure we've color-matched Whole Wheat. SW's Latte is very popular around my area.

What's interesting to me is that each of the formulas shared use a different combination of colorants! Now I'm curious and want to look up our formula for this color of perfection...

Anonymous said...

Nester....long ago you posted the top of your paint can for tabacco road and I printed it off and took it with me to Lowe's...they made it for me and even gave me some love (verbally of course) for knowing and having the formula of exactly what I wanted. I am using it in my family room....I know that I am going to love it!

Aubrey said...

In the west, they have old swatches of tobacco road at Kwal paint stores, but they won't give any out--luckily my mom got one of the last ones and has threatened me with my life if I lose it.

I had it matched at Home Depot with Behr Satin Enamel:
Now, don't hate me, I can't tell the O's from the 0's (zeros), wich only matters on the colorant line, the rest are obviously zeros

Colorant 0Z 48 96
F Red Oxide 00 04 1
C Yellow Oxide 03 34 1
B Lamp Black 00 29 1

That's for a gallon. Here's a link with bad pictures and a messy living room of TR and white in stripes: http://shinercircus.blogspot.com/2009/01/unveiling.html

And a slightly better look at it on a solid wall, which I know is a bad photo, cuz some rudesby anonymous person told me it looked terrible, but I've already deemed her a village idiot: http://shinercircus.blogspot.com/2009/01/ode-to-child.html

And if anybody bothers to look at those links, they'll know why they read the Nester and not me for decorating and cleaning advice.

And now let me make sure the children at least had on underwear in those photos.

Aubrey said...

Oh yeah, (and I realize I've already written a novel above) I swear I remember someone comenting on your original TR post that Kwal is the western equivalent of Duron, at least, my TR looks a lot like your pictures, so I'm going to believe it.

Aubrey said...

Oh--and Plantation Beige is a really nice, wheaty yellow, if you want something lighter an dmore yellowy. My mom used it and it looks really nice.

mytinyrobotheart said...

i printed out the formula from your photo of the can lid, took it to lowes and walked out with my own can of custom made tobacco road! it looks great too! (the second picture down http://mytinyrobotheart.blogspot.com/2008/08/finishing-up-summer.html)
thanks for the formula!
rachel

Katie said...

IT is all over my house, my great room, dinning room, halls, kitchen. You can check my blog, thanks to you I love it. It is a great color everyone loves it. I wrote down your formula from your lowes can. No problems.. Once they used the wrong base and it was light but other then that it looks great...

From A Creative Heart said...

Hi!!
You know it is hard to really tell colors from the computer at times...but this looks close to my favorite color. One of my vendors was painting some of her furniture pieces with this great neutral color....and I asked her about it. She used "Salt Fork" and I found it at WalMart...
It looks great in my guest bath with lots of white accents and in my bedroom/master bath with black primitve furniture...just love the color!!!
Hugs,
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Most of my home is painted SW Whole Wheat. I would love to see a TR swatch for comparison. I love the WW at night and in the morning, but during the afternoon hours it's so blah ... could be my decorating too. LOL

Unknown said...

I love the way you use plates to decorate your walls. I've been wanting to do that for some time. I need to stop by our Goodwill store and see if I can find some great buys.
Thanks again for providing some much needed inspiration! I love your blog.

Christy said...

Hi Nester! This is my first comment on your blog although I've been lurking for quite a while! We just moved into a cute rental and the landlord allowed us to paint. Now 4 of my rooms are Tobacco Road. All I did was print the picture you took of your lid, take it to Lowes, and they mixed it up for me! IT's Bee-autiful! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

This post is so timely as we are trying to figure out a paint color for our Kichen - right off from the LR painted Tabacco Road.Does anyone have any suggestions?? I need something lighter than this but with some color. The trim work is white, the cabnets are a honey wood and the floors will be a dark wood tone. THANKS! By the way, Thanks Nester for all the good advice that you have already given me. :)
Betsy

carolinagirl said...

Hahaha! I thought you were going to blog about basketball!!! :) Beautiful color!

The Stewarts said...

Here in Colorado I used TR about 6-7 years ago and got it from KWAL paint. I checked recently and they have it in their old color deck. I did love it but tired of it. Moved on to Shaker Beige and Barely Beige by Benjamin Moore

Stacie said...

Farrell Calhoun carries that color in my hometown.
I use it all the time!

Anonymous said...

Hey There,

This is my first post on your site, however I have been admiring your blog for months. I even made a special trip up to the new Black Lion in Huntersville just to see your tassels (which are beautiful by the way).

Anyway, I was able to get the TR paint done for me at a Duron store and love it, however I now need a color for the kitchen which is adjacent to the living room with TR on the walls. Any suggestions for a great acccent color?

Melissa said...

Another Tobacco Road fan here! I used it in my family room and love it. My mom wanted the same color, but she had them mix it at 75% for a slightly less intense color(we just used your Lowes can formula~thanks so much for it!) and had most of her new home painted in it and *loves* it. Such a great color! I'd say there is quite a difference from restrained gold and whole wheat~we tried them both also, and TR was just the perfect mix.

Anne Marie said...

First, I would like to say that I am new "here" and that I really like what your blog/space has to offer!!

Lots of great tips...techniques...all with a clean atmosphere-

second- great post!

Anonymous said...

Dear Nester,

Have you seen Tobacco Road used as an exterior paint color? We have a 100 year old farmhouse in NC that is currently painted white with a galvanized metal roof. I'm thinking the contrast of a warmer color on the body of the house might look nice with the metal roof. Our front door and our double screens doors over french doors are painted barn red.

Anonymous said...

Would this be good in a bedroom?
I want to redo my master bedroom but dh isn't really into a taupe/tan/warm color like I originally wanted. My bedroom needs something in a bad bad way. I do have some red and pink things that will be on the wall, though. Will this not work out?

Ashley said...

There are so many posts not sure if anyone has said this or not, but you can get it at Farrell-Calhoun. I used the color that is two shades lighter; "Sandy Beige", I think is the color in my entryway. I just love it. It is warm like TR, yet cottage like light.

Queen B. said...

Wow I really love that paint color. I have Ben.Moore Putman Ivory in most of my home, but I think I"ll use this for the remainder ! LOVE IT.

Lisa said...

I love that colour but live all the way over here in the UK! Any suggestions how I can find something similar?

Gretchen said...

HOW CRAZY?!
On the very day you posted this, I was at the S.W. with my very-hard-to-come-by Duron paint book that still contains T.R.
I had them match it and this is what the Sherwin Williams tag says on the 31oz tester can:

BAC COLORANT 0Z 32 64 128
N1-Raw Umber - 19 - 1
Y3-Deep Gold - 24 - -

I am painting my foyer, stairwell and upstairs hallway in TR!!! LOVE it!

amy said...

Like many others, I too got my recipe for TB off of one of your posts. I took it to Lowes and have been thrilled evah since. We painted the majority of our base house with it-- will have to repaint the walls the blech white color when we move, but it is soo-oo worth it!

Thanks Nester!

Anonymous said...

I'm amazed that right at the time I'm trying to find Tobacco Road, here's so much information. My SW sample is NOT the formula posted here for the original Duron shade match. The sample I have is very yellow. I'm going back till I get it right :)Thanks so much for all the help.

Matt and Mandy said...

In Utah you can get it at any Kwal store - it's their old color stack but they still have the formula and color cards. I also love Plantation Beige (one shade lighter) and Tattersal (one shade darker). This color really does work with everything!

Unknown said...

I haven't read all these comments but, I did get my Duron store last spring to mix me a sample. I took the sample to Home depot and they colored matched it for me so i could buy their scrubable flat paint. If someone wants to leave me a comment on realsouthernliving.blogspot.com with your email I can email you the formula for Home Depot. I'm pretty sure I still have a paint can in my garage with the formula along with Plantation Beige as well.

Krissy said...

I got it mixed at Lowes for about $12 a gallon for Satin LOL.....

I just told them that it was originally a Duron color and they looked it up in their system and mixed it for me!!

Another person from a mutual message board was asking about beige/tan colors and I suggested TR, and she LOVED it (after about 5 or so other samples) and Sherwin Williams was able to mix it for her as well!

Anonymous said...

I Need HELP with this. The local paint store * We do not have SW here for sale anymore* said they found the Duron formula in their computer and mixed up a litre for me. They would not mix less. Well, I get it home and it has a greenish undertone which I specifically said I did not want. It's darn near the perfect color but, I do not want that green. I think he used the Sherwin Williams formula and not the original.

I would love to just use Whole Wheat or any of the SW colors I narrowed down to but, again no SW store here or paint sold.

What a pain! The TR color from those pics is EXACTLY what I want.

Is there a BM color that is close to TR and WH???

Nancy @ Live love laugh said...

Well, do you want to know how I found you? I believe I googled (in desperation) "the best paint color" and ended up at your post! I never even knew about this whole world of blogging until then! That was about 3 weeks ago and now I can finally stand up and stop reading!So much wonderful info! Of course, Tobacco Road IS the ONLY color I wanted and I hit a road block, too. I live on Long Island in NY and have SW, but they were not too helpful....If this color is perfect, why did Duron discontinue? Anyway, Restrained Gold is going up, as I believe it is close? Cross your fingers..we begin today! Thanks for your informative blog!!!

Anonymous said...

Well... I've been wanting, waiting & searching for Tobacco Road since I first saw this glorious color on your blog. I'd asked twice at Lowes if they could search for the name & company and get the code in their computer. I went yesterday with a printout from the top of your can ready to have Lowes just make it that way. I decided to ask again and the lady went straight to her computer and looked up Duron Millenium and found Tobacco Road & Plantation Beige. I was so thrilled... if they tell you they can't make it.. ask if there is someone else who works there who might help you or come back another day... it is possible to have Lowes make the Duron formula for you! I'm off to paint!

Stefani said...

I just wanted to let everyone know that I took the numbers that "The Mrs" posted (be sure to line them up like she said in her 2nd post) to Home Depot. They were able to mix it up for me. He said the only difference is that they call the base "medium" instead of "midtone."

If you live in the Raleigh area, we were at the Fuquay Varina store and he saved the color as "Scott's Tobacco Road." (he said that someone else had been in earlier today asking for the same color!) I love helpful people!

Thank you all so much for the great info! Now I'm off to get painting!

Tote, Debby, Sammy and Caleb Jimenez said...

Welcome to TR Annonymous. "My name is Debby and I love Tobacco Road!" =)

I told my husband about it and when I went away for a few days he painted my living room in it!! Yippee!!

He got it at Lowes. Someone posted a picture of the Lowes can that is the same color as Duron's Tobacco Road for those of us who..ahem..can't afford Duron! =) I can't remember who posted it, but I assume it wasn't you since you're asking.

I don't understand the top of the can, but there are some numbers on it that maybe give the combination of colors??? They are:
101-13.5 107-2Y9 109-3
I can email you the picture the top of the can if you want.

Anonymous said...

For those of you who have used tobacco road, do you think it would be too much to paint an entire house in that color? Or do you recommend accent colors/lighter tones for various rooms. Any advice would be awesome. Thanks!