Remodeling Roundup



Are you sick of seeing this after photo of my old house yet? I think I'll never tire of it. And cut me a little slack, we've been renting for two years, I like to relive my glory days. Those glorious days of a little remodeling project.



Remember the before? The sensible 5 over 4 and a door with a skinny broken pediment ode to Williamsburg? No shame in this house. But from the moment I saw her I knew she had big potential. And like all true house lovers, I even named her. Belinda.



Remodeling Guy is having a Remodeling Round up tomorrow and I've already got a fun giveaway planned for tomorrow so I'm posting my project a day early. Early bird gets the worm right? Wish I liked worms.



This is the part where I bestow all of my useful knowledge on you. Well it's not much. I knew there were a few things I had to have for this house. Here's what I knew I wanted:
  • light colored painted brick
  • farmhouse style wooden doors
  • a covered porch.
  • wide shutters
  • pay cash for everything
Those were the hills I was willing to die on.


We lived in this house for three and a half years before we could even begin to start the outside. That gave me lots of time to drive around and take photos of all the houses I loved. I measured the opening for the front door and figured out that since we had sidelights, we would have room for the double doors I wanted.


For a girl like me, having the outside of our home made over was one of the most thrilling, rewarding, and fun things I had ever been a part of. Watching something go from average to beautiful is just about my favorite thing. Even if it's not perfect, it can still be beautiful, right?



And for any of you out there on the verge of painting your brick, wondering if it's allowed or legal or OK to do. Yes. It's one of the best design decisions I've ever made. Do you have a project to share? It can be any home improvement project, large or small. Get ready because tomorrow is the big day over at Remodeling Guy's Place!


•••

painted brick color: bone china {old Martha Stewart color from Sherwin Williams}
shutter paint: restrained gold {Sherwin Williams}
doors: ordered from Canada--I wouldn't recommend the company

68 comments:

Kathi said...

WOW. What a transformation! You could be the star of "Curb Appeal!"
Love what you did here - looks great! I'll check out the Remodeling Guy too. Always looking for inspiration! Thanks!

Janene said...

With a tranformation like that, who would ever get tired of seeing it!
It looks fantastic!

The Accidental Housewife said...

I will never, never, never get tired of looking at the front of that house. The photo from way back looking through the garden? My absolute all time favourite. I could live in that house. I REALLY WANT to live in that house. Unfortunately that would mean moving continents.... but I'm willing!

Tami said...

Being from FL, I always "thought" a red, brick house would be nice. Gee, love the painted brick even better! (my fave is the copper)....

Amanda said...

Outstanding and very french - my fav...but what about the columns? ours are rotting on the bottoms and need to be replaced...did you "build" ours or were they ordered as is? also, share your big flowering plant names too if you don't mind?! thanks!!!

The Nester said...

@Amanda--yep our columns were built. I've noticed that houses that face a certain direction{south maybe?} seem to have more issues with rot on that side--we moved within a year of them being built so I have no idea what shape they are in now.

plants-very front of the yard--sedum http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedum which is a succulent and looks really tall because of the angle of the camera!

Robin said...

I never tire seeing that beautiful transition! I see something new every time.

dognutmom said...

I currently live in a colonial and have bemoaned the lack of some kind of cover over the front door. My last house had a wee bit of a covered porch and you could at least dash from the car through the rain to the cover and stand there and not get wet while you fumbled with the lock on the front door.

Not so much with this house, but we could never figure out how to put some kind of roof over the door that wouldn't look stupid. This would have been perfect ... but, of course, we are moving!

Remodeling Guy said...

I'm with the girls who say they won't ever tire of seeing the front of that house! I really love the whole thing. If I had to pick a single favorite item, which I can't, but the thing that really finishes it off... those doors. I love those doors.

Thanks for telling all your pals about the Round-Up! I hope they ALL join in! As is clear by your example, it doesn't have to be a brand new project...

Have a great day!

Tim

Anonymous said...

I'm curious as to how paint wears on the brick? Upkeep?

We were lucky in that we built our home and chose our brick. We have a lighter colored brick and love it.

That was a great transformation on your home. Hope you are able to soon own your own home again and maybe even get back into those remodeling projects!

tina

Anonymous said...

I think your old house is amazing..but your new rental will be too :)

Christi said...

Nope, I never get tired of seeing the pictures! I love it!

Anonymous said...

Oh in just reading the comments - this is for Amanda. I'm pretty sure that is Autumn Joy sedum - I love it too!

tina

Heathahlee said...

I have yet to get tired of looking at those pictures. I love seeing what you did to your old house!

The Nester said...

@Annon: painting brick and it wearing? for me, that was what I was hoping for! Over time the paint will wear a little and in about 50? years I'm guessing here, the brick will show through and have an even better look if that's the look you are going for.

I've known people to paint their brick and then sand blast it so it would look worn!!!!

I love the look of worn off painted brick because you know, when it's not perfect it looks even more beautiful!

Candace said...

I love painted brick... wish I could talk my husband into it!

Pam said...

Sick of seeing this? I have NEVER seen these picture! I know - where have I been? This transformation is breath-taking. I hope you don't mind, but I saved the before and after pics to my "inspiration" folder on my computer. It's not for anyone but me. I love the whole look from the house to the landscaping. The place we bought last year has great bones but needs a cosmetic change and the yard is a blank slate - so we're always looking for inspiration to help us along.

I'm truly impressed and give this redo "two thumbs up"!

Pam

Audra Lynn said...

*sigh* That's a beautiful house. I wish the outside of mine looked that good. It's a rental, and the paint is literally peeling off the outside. So sad.

Natalie Meester said...

I would live in your house in a minute!

Love the aged copper roof over your entry way.

Chris said...

I, too, will never tire of pictures of that house. I've been in love with it since day one, and I can see why you go back to it. My favorite part? The double doors with the portico above. Just love it!

Dena said...

Greatness!!!!
I love my house, but hate the color of our brick - orangey red. Do you recall how much it cost to have it painted? Our house looks about the same size as yours. I must have taken a ton of paint!

Thanks for sharing your pics again - has me inspired!

Kelly said...

I will never tire of seeing these pictures... the more the merrier! I am such a huge fan of painted brick, and the vision you had for this remodel is amazing. I think I would have been afraid, so you inspire me to be brave... the result is clearly SO worth it!

Runner Mom said...

Your home was just beautiful! I love the before and after shots and your darlin' kids in the pictures!! I am pondering a back deck redo and ugly side yard makeover that would make the team at Curb Appeal fall down on their knees and pray!! It's that ugly. I have to ('scuse me, WE, as in Hubby and I) have to save our $$ in order to do this since we are on a tight budget! But it will happen!! Then, all of y'all can come over for a cookout!

Hugs,
Susan

Jen@Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Yes, I've seen those pics a million times, but this time had to call Gregg into the room to brag on you. Yep, he said, "wow, that's pretty incredible" and then the finance guy side of him asked if you got out $ what you wanted on the remodel. I spoke w/sure clarity and said, Oh yes - sure you did. :)xo

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

I have never seen these photos either so I was so glad you posted them again!! I LOVE this house! It is stunning! Love the doors!! I LOVe painted brick, changes the whole character of a house!

But anywhere you are, you just create beauty! And all the houses you live in are better off having known you :)

Thanks for sharing this! I'm gonna go back and study it some more...

Lou Cinda :)

Unknown said...

I never get tired of your older home. It is beautiful and reflects the heart of a woman who truely cares about every detail for her family.

Cynthia

Lindy said...

I will never tire of seeing that house. I hate the color of my brick ranch and would love to paint it. I got away with painting the knotty pine paneling on the inside and my family nearly had kittens. If I hear "but it's real wood!!" one more time, I might lose it. How much more is it to have a painter paint brick vs. siding? Love those cute Nester Boys too!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Your house is totally gorgeous painted. I am always so reluctant to paint anything, but you are oh so right that painted your house just turned into a swan. I love the look you gave it and the transformation is simply stunning. Hugs, Marty

Heidi said...

nice! I'm new so this is a first look for me. We are actually getting ready to change up the trim color on the outside of our house and I have been having such fun on the sherwin williams site with their visual paint tool trying out different shades. Thanks for lisitng your colors I may just have to try that gold one out!
www.1wonderwomanwannabe.blogspot.com

Aura said...

Oh it looks beautiful. My husband loves painted brick, I'm emailing him a link to this.

Mary @ Giving Up On Perfect said...

I'm fairly new around here, so I'm NOT tired of seeing those photos. As a matter of fact, I LOVED seeing them today! What a beautiful transformation and end result!!

Diana@DevineDesigns said...

Lead by example is what I always say! Such a beautiful transformation.

I am chomping at the bit to redo the outside of our "Cottage In the Woods" which is the name on the sign out front of the house.

Right now it's got yellow vinyl siding and a boring brown shingle roof. I want to transform her into a Low-Country styled Cape Cod home. (White siding and a red metal roof!) Sadly we don't have space for shutters ;o(

With all that's left to do in the interior, I'm sure it will be years before we can tackle all the outside stuff.

In the meantime, I'll just look at your beautiful transformation and dream of what's possible! ;o)

Jennifer said...

Restrained Gold is my dining room wall color...LOVE IT! It looks so different on your shutters against the white of your old house. Funny what paint colors can do.
Everyone has their "go to" wall color. Ours is "Blonde" from Sherwin Williams: the color above Restrained Gold on the paint chip. what a coincidence. It either looks pale yellow or tan, depending on what its next to.

Unknown said...

Nester, I don't think I'll ever tire of looking at that house either, it's so gorgeous. I can see why you pine away for it. :)
Makes me wish I had a brick house so that I could paint it!

Mandy said...

WOW!!!!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Aw, never could get tired of your old house. So pretty. I know just how you feel and even if it is a project from the past, it can be one we always remember because it was a labor of love. It is so hard to leave those behind when we move.

When I was in high school, I lived in a beautiful old English house on a lake that was painted white brick. Ok, the house was painted brick, not the lake. I thought it was the coolest house ever!

Nice work, girl! Love it.

Amber Filkins said...

I NEVER get tired of looking at that house either. You guys did A GREAT job on the remodel. I love, love, love it. Why did you sell it, if you don't mind my asking? It seems like the perfect house.

It's beautiful.

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

I.WILL.NEVER.TIRE.OF.THAT.PHOTO. That is seriously one of the best before and afters EVER! I'm dying to paint my outside brick. Already did the fireplace...love it! Now I just need the cash for the outside. I'm willing to die on that mountain too!:)

~Amanda

2 Little Irish Boys said...

It is incredible!!! I am in love with it. We live in a ranch that we are remodling-crazy. Anyway, my plan is to paint the brick and do new shutters similar to the ones on your old house --thanks for the pictures!!

Fruitful Vine Lady said...

Nester, I can't imagine ever tiring of those photos. Everytime I see them, I study them to see what else I have missed. You are so good with details. I would love to have vision like that!

Little Lovables said...

I do love that transformation! And yes, we also painted brick and lovely creamy color and the results were fantastic!

GemsByEm said...

It's a gorgeous home! I would never tire of seeing the photos either. As a former Charlottean, the picture reminds me of the homes I used to see everyday. How I miss the Carolinas!

Jill GG said...

I just love it... all the perfect ingredients for a total look that "works" so fabulously. I won't get sick of you posting it...

Precision Quality Laser said...

I would love to paint our brick fireplace a light bright color, but our woodstove (which is oh so ugly but oh so functional and saves us soooo much money) is cast iron black. I fear it would make the woodstove stick out like a sore thumb... that had gone necrotic. Sigh.

Your transformation was beautiful!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Nester, I can see why you loved your old house, it truly was a great renovation & turned out gorgeous. So sorry you couldn't stay in that house. Maybe one day you can buy it back! :) Love those double doors too, I would kill for a set of those myself.

I'm joining in the Round-up too with my free fountain.

Unknown said...

I never get tired of seeing this house....it's so dreamy! No wonder you loved it so much.

Christina said...

oh gosh ... it looks lovely! And this is the first time I've ever seen it so please ... share it as much as you would like! Your house was nice in the before picture but the changes you made - AWESOME! I NEVER would have thought to paint the brick white ... loving it.

Deb said...

Hey, is the big surprise Monday that you are going to move back into beautiful Belinda! That would be something! I too, love what you did with that house. We just know that the next one will be fabulous as well!!

Pam @ Frippery said...

I never get tired of those pictures. You turned an average house into a dream! I would say pretty close to perfect and beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy your posts and especially your home. It is true loveliness. The copper awning is fantastic. Thank you so much for sharing with all of us.

Charla

Kim said...

I love what you did to your home! Can't wait to see what you do with your new rental place!

laney said...

...i have never seen the pictures before...what a truly beautiful home...i have the feeling the heart of the woman who imagined it all...is even more so...

Shell in your Pocket said...

I love that house...I could look at it again and again! From a cookie cutter home look to a unique, custom and classy looking home!

I love it!
sandy toe

J.J. said...

I never tire of looking at this house!

blessedpath said...

I am new to your site and LOVE all your ideas!! Your old house picture is just beautiful!! We have some brick on our house, and I have a Q. Does the paint ever chip off of the brick over time?? Or will it stay for years? Thanks for all the great ideas. I am currently redoing our bathroom and want to put one of your mistreatments in it:)

Anonymous said...

I think your old house looks WAY better than the new one you fixed up. I think the new look is ugly (sorry can't think of a better word). Also, I find it odd that someone who RENTS has a blog about their 'home'. I have only been reading for like 4 months...but I am done now. See ya! When you BUY a real house thats yours..I'll look back for some credibility! I'M OUT!

Sarah said...

Oooohhh!!!! Pretty! Great job.

Lindy said...

Hey, my name is Belinda. It's going to take more than a double door and shutters to improve my curb appeal though. :)

Karol said...

I will never, ever get tired of seeing your beautiful home. If I had EVER lived in a home so beautiful I would never stop talking about, re-living the memories and looking at/sharing the photographs of it.

I will tell you that I did not get tired of looking at it as I drew it for you. I loved it. Still do.

I have a feeling you will have another home like that someday. You deserve it.

Karol :0)

Anonymous said...

It's obvious how much you love that house... or at least the outside of it. I can't help but wonder why you aren't IN that house still.

It's a beauty and I would hate to have to leave it...

Anonymous said...

Holy smokes, I love that you painted your brick! It's gorgeous! I'm sure you hated to leave it. :(

Jadehollow said...

I'm one of those scared to paint brick people.. Not anymore! WoW! Amazing transformation.. it's so much more beautiful now. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Debbie

Wanda said...

I've been showing your blog to my extended family because I just can't believe the transformation your home underwent! Incredible. That home truly doesn't look like the same one you started with! I really like what you did with it. Do you do all of the painting and renovations yourself?
Wanda
mellettemoments.blogspot.com

CRICKET said...

It's beautiful! I always, always learn somethign when I read your postings. This time it was that one could actually change the fromt door from a single to a double.

Kimberlee said...

I never get bored of looking at great remodels! That porch/door area is to die for - it just adds that extra "wow factor" to the house. Can I send you a pic of my house and see what you can do with Florida suburban stucco-ness? Ick. LOL!

Tara said...

Absolutely LOVE it! I thought the "before" looked nice (so classic!) but the "after" is beyond amazing! I would've never thought to paint the brick white, but boy, it really turned out stunning!

Tasha said...

I apologize if someone else has already asked this question....but what kind of paing do you use on brick? I know you said Sherwin Williams but what kind and finish?

My house is the ugliest brick ever. It is the color of cement and I HATE the color.

And I too, love, love your remake of your old house's brick and exterior. Just makes me feel good to look at that picture.

Tasha

Beckie said...

Perfect timing! I'm thinking of painting our pink brick house(I hate pink brick!) and needed an example to show the family. You did an excellent job!