Some of you may remember a wreath that my friend made last year.
This is how it looked all decked out for the Holiday Season. I love how full and voluptuous is is but the red was a little much by the time February rolled around. So I pulled out all the red stuff and stuck it in one of my white dishes.
I don't know about you but when I have a good wreath form, instead of buying or making a different wreath when I'm ready for a change, I just pull out the parts that define the season and stick new parts in.
Since this wreath started out as a grapevine wreath, it's easy to wedge in whatever you have available and it magically stays if you shove it in far enough. I try to never hot glue or wire anything in that way I can change it up fast and reuse everything. Every now and then something might fall out but hardly ever, it's a small price to pay to be able to reuse my floral stuff. But I did wrap a wire around that starfish.
I like to add in some fern. In the photo they look really distracting. But in real life they blend in much better and don't demand that much attention.
We have purple flowers growing in our front yard. So I figured I'd add in some purple. Not my favorite color but I loved the end result. I just tear these stick berry branch things apart with my bear hands, I mean bare hands and force them in. After that work you will wish you had bear hands. The branches are from Hobby Lobby of course.
After mixing up the greenery and color, the wreath needed something more. I found this "S" and thought it would be a great addition. I mean, who cares if our last name doesn't start with an S--it was on sale. Just kidding.
This "S" started out really yellow. Once it was on the door next to our white trim it made my house look like a pretty girl with yellow teeth. So I got a paper towel and brushed on some white acrylic paint. Much better.
Now for the part I am most proud of. I have a bad habit of saving any and everything that I think could possible be useful. Last year I purchased a pretty fluffy blanket and it was wrapped in a thick taupe ribbon that closed with Velcro. What a genius idea. I saved that ribbon.
When I went to hang my wreath like I've talked about here--this is the link to click if you want to read how to hang the wreath with a ribbon because it's too long to tell it all again in this post, I remembered this ribbon. And, since I knew right where it was {ask me to find last year's tax returns, my children's medical records or a working ink pen and you are out of luck, I don't even know our home phone number by heart} I grabbed it and it worked. I hope Simplemom isn't reading this.
See how the Velcro meets right at the back!? Do you think I could patent this? I mean, utilizing this ribbon that just happened to be cut to the perfect length was my finest hour. I was so entirely impressed with myself. I had to take my husband out and show him. Anyone want to nominate me for the Nobel Peace Prize? Now I can easily change out my wreath, or if we change our last name, I can switch out the letter with the greatest of ease. And all you have to do is go buy a $40 blanket at Target and you, too can have one of these ribbons.
Sometimes I feel like an idiot decorating savant. I'll admit, there are times when things just seem to work out. All the Design Stars must have aligned for me. I think it comes just from doing so many things the wrong way that sooner or later, something decent is bound to happen. Too bad my brain isn't wired for technology or medicine. I'm sorry world.
One last thing, I wanted to show you the back side of this wreath. Turn your children away as it is naked and not ashamed. See how there are actually two grapevine wreaths wired together? One is big and one is small. This makes for a super fat wreath.
Do you ever rip stuff out of your old wreaths and redo them?
This post just added to Get Your Craft On at Today's Creative Blog.

131 comments:
Oh my goodness, that is GREAT! Funny too, but in a good way! :0 It is beeeeeYUTifull. :D
Oh, how I love this wreath! I'm totally inspired and have some vine wreath forms in my garage! Guess what on the to do list now!!?? And I never thought to put the different sizes together! So simple a thought too. Yay for beautiful wreaths!
Can I tell you I am LOVING your blog. What a great idea! TO be a true Texan you have to be into the monogram, so I know I have a few letters laying around the house. Great way to use them. How did you secure it on the other side of the door?
@Sally there are two links in the post that tell how to actually secure the ribbon! Click them! I'll go make them bigger now, thanks!
I have 3 of those ribbons stashed somewhere too! I also thought they might come in handy one day when my boys all got one of those fabulous blankets for Christmas a couple of years ago.
Just so you don't feel alone :)
Oh, Nester. You have again outdone yourself. That wreath is divine, and I love that you can change the parts out so easily.
Looks like a visit to the Hob Lob is in order!
i'm always ripping up old weather beaten wreaths for parts! the decorations make great centerpieces & jar fillers, then you get the fun of doing something new with the wreath... i'll have to find an S for my next one! : )
I reuse my wreath stuff all the time. Learned from my decorating savant mother-in-law.
Your wreath is beautiful, & I love the "S". Need to pick up one while they're on sale at HL.
And, after your first post about hanging with a ribbon, I tried it at Christmas - works great, so much easier than a wreath hanger.
Thanks, for inspiring us with beauty!
Loooove the purple in there!! Beautiful!
So, I was thinking, what about if you attached velcro directly to your door instead of the upholstry nails? That way you could stick the ribbon on the door and it would be super easy to change out...
Havent actually tried it (yet), but it seems like it would be an easy way to switch them out.
How clever! Love that S and it looks great white. Now that I have a new front door and I'm about to paint the house, I'm gonna need something to spruce up that front door. Thanks!
I love you. Really. A decorating idiot savant? My gosh, Nester, there should be some kind of warning. . . "Caution: The sentence you are about to read is very funny. Please put down your coffee."
And, by the way, I really like your wreath. Thank you for showing us the back. I wondered how you got such thickness out of one little ol' grapevine wreath. I just love it when you share your secrets!
Now I am just a plain idiot, no savant. I am finally getting things organized around here, and I found a long-lost bracelet. Problem is, I had bought another bracelet to replace the long-lost one. So I'm giving one away! Come on over and enter. It's a cute bracelet (and a good lesson for me).
XOXO,
Richella
Oh I love it! You have some talent girl! I never thought to put two different size wreaths together...but what a wonderful idea!
Thanks for sharing!
Hugz,
Michele
LOL! I have the same ribbon with velcro from Target! I thought it might come in handy some day. It even came with us on a move to a new house! "Can we get rid of this?" my husband asked at one point.
WOW!!!/ What a pretty wreath, and the idea of putting two wreaths together is just brilliant!!!! Thank you, I will be using this. I just love a wreath on the front door. Thanks, I really enjoying your blog and look everyday. Blessings to you, Linda
Awesome! I save those ribbons that are wrapped around blankets, too! I save the ribbons that are wrapped around the rice and favors at weddings. I save ribbons from everything. They always come in handy. :)
Very lovely wreath there.
I subscribe to your blog and read every post but hardly ever comment - but this one was just too good! Not only creative and inspiring, but you're so funny! I loved your zeal about the ribbon!
Cracked me up today! Thanks, from a sad mama who misses her kindergartner!!
I love how it turned out!
And I never would have thought of using 2 wreaths to make it bigger. Also, I do pull out pieces to reuse during different times of the year. I dislike things being too permanent and that way, when I'm in the mood for a project, I don't have to go out and buy more stuff.
You are so funny! I love that idea, you are the reason I ever thought to add anything to a wreath. I always figured it was as is...the very idea was unheard of for me. It is about time to get my eggs, nest and bird out of my current wreath, so I will work on that soon! Thanks for the reminder! I like your fern idea! :)
The letter is awesome, that just happens to be our last initial! ;)
Looking good girl!I love that we are taking out our wreaths! whahoo!
"I don't know about you..."
Oh, Nester! I don't EVER have a good wreath form. But I so enjoy watching what you do with one! :)
I absolutely love the way you transform your wreath for the different seasons! What a great idea. I just started reading your blog and it has already inspired me! Thanks!
I love how natural it looks and the big S just adds that extra touch! I’m already thinking about what I want to do with my grapevine wreath for Fall. I just may need to include a BIG letter. I always have a hard time deciding what letter to go with. My fiancée and I both have names that start with K. I can never deiced if I should go with a K (since we’re not married) or if I should use H which is from his last name. So I end up not using a letter for my project. I know there are more important thing in the world!
Thanks for adding the link about how to hang the wreath by a ribbon. I was wondering how you did that as I was reading along.
http://domesticprincessintraining.blogspot.com
Well, I am blown away. I'm off to forage for some twigs and branches and a big ol' M.
Your velcro ribbon truly was genius. And it's not bragging if it's true, right?
I love it! I am totally inspired to try this for myself. I have been googling "small front porch decorating" all week, and this wreath is perfect for my tiny porch. All the decorations on the door! Mums in the pots! Exclamation points abound!!!!
Thanks again!
:o)
That, beautiful Nester, is EXACTLY why I adore grapevine wreaths. Re-useable. Amen.
*gasp* LOVE your super fat wreath! I am so doing this! It will drive the dry cleaner guy nuts....but he will get over it!
So funny! Maybe because we've all been there. I love how your wreath turned out. I'm thinking it would work for next Christmas that way too. Maybe with a little more bling added.
That is most definitely AWESOME!!! Thanks for sharing!
http://housequeen.blogspot.com
Oh I love it! I usually redo wreaths too-right now mine is looking a bit bare...might have to get to work! Thanks for the inspiration.
And yeah, I've got one of those velco ribbon things from a blanket too-I've only ever used to wrap through the handles on my file drawers so the kids stay out of them! I like your use much better!
That is really pretty!! I love it.
I really like that letter idea, I might have to steal that one! My first initial and last initial are the same so secretly, when I use our initial in the house, I feel a little superior to the rest of my family because I pretend it's specifically for my first name, not just our last name. ;)
Thanks for the great idea!
LOL Good post. I'd love to get a wreath going on over here too. Maybe I can find an 'S' on sale some place. Our last name doesn't start with 'S' but it could be for Sarah, right?
I have a ton of vine wreaths - we used them in centerpieces at our wedding reception (4 years ago...). I love making them!
Yes - I do recycle wreath parts all over my home - except for those where the birds bult a nest - had to toss those. Love the lettered wreath!
LOVE THIS!! I wish I were as brilliant as you. I always just buy a new wreath....maybe I'll stop that.
So many ideas included in this post, Wow, you have the chipmunk in my brain spinning his wheel. I love the yellow teeth comment too funny! I am going to redo my door dec ASAP.
Oh, it is SO beautiful girl. I ♥ ♥ ♥ it. Too bad my name starts with an 'F', because I just don't think it looks very pretty as a monogram. Oh well, it will have to work.
It's a good thing I'm already off to Joann's today, so I can get some fun stuff. What is it about the changing of the seasons from Summer to Fall that puts us all into project mode?? Because I have had NO desire to do anything crafty the entire summer, but all of a sudden I've been in GO mode since school started.
I just finished redoing my china hutch, actually.
Holy smokes do I ever! In fact I just did this last week and totally used your posts about wreaths as my tutorial! If you want to see it, here is the link http://barnaclebutt.blogspot.com/2009/08/i-did-it-myself-porch-makeover-and.html Your blog is changing my house and I love it!
Thank you for this! I have a horrible wreath on my door with pine cones falling off...this is a perfect fix for me.
I love the idea of using a big letter in the middle of a wreath. Now I'm going to be on the hunt for a P.
My favorite wreath is my Fall wreath that I purchased for only $20. It is grapevine and so big and wonderful.
Don't hate me but in my very early days of marriage, 8 years ago, I found it perfectly acceptable to purchase the wooden door things from Hobby Lobby that say things like, "Happy Harvest". The glitter just drew me in.
I'm a changed woman now and realize that a huge wonderful wreath on the door gives amazing curb appeal. All that to say, I only have two wonderful wreaths in my collection, but two is better than none I suppose.
The empty grapevine wreath concept though-where I can interchange Poopie or whatever it is we call it in Nesterland, now this is a new thought for me. Gotta go ponder the possiblities :)...
Love this idea with the two wreaths. All of your embellishment ideas are fabulous!! I am going out right now and make on these!! You are so inspirational and make it all look so easy!!
you are insane and i love you!!! LOL - great post. : )
Looks gorgeous!
a) This post was hilarious.
b) Now I totally regret passing up the giant "B" I saw at TJMaxx last night (our monogram) only because it had 2 streaks of hot pink on it. Duh! I could have painted it! It looks exactly like the one you have.
That wreath is absolutely gorgeous! I'm not sure if I have ever posted a comment before, but I love your blog and read it every day. Thanks. :)
I love it! I'm totally going to have to make one of these - would make great house-warming gifts!
We must have bought the same blanket, and I too saved the ribbon. It just seemed to clever and I knew I would find a use for it. THANKS for the idea!
Stink, you're making me really regret getting rid of the grapevine wreath I had. I guess I have to buy another and it's baby because I'm so sick of my it's-obvious-this-is-a-Christmas-evergreen-wreath-with-fake-glittery-apples-that-no-one-in-their-right-mind-should-ever-have-bought-even-if-it-was-before-they-knew-about-blogs-and-didn't-really-know-better.
I want one...NOW!!! Not impatient or anything!! Great idea for a wreath!
I too had a grapevine wreath on my front door. In May I tucked in some pretty silk flowers in colours that coordinated with the annuals I planted in the adjacent bed. I was perplexed to come home on several occasions to find a couple of flowers had 'fallen' out and were lying on the mat in front of the door. I would pick them up and poke them back in. After doing this for several days I finally noticed that Robins had built a nest in the wreath!
It was awkward to have the nest actually on the door, so dh moved it over a couple of feet to the wall beside the door. Three eggs were laid (one was sadly lost to a cowbird) and 2 babies hatched.
I had to replace the original wreath (it got kind of icky). I guess there is more than one 'nester' at this address!
nester! this is my favorite post you've done in a long time!!! soooo many good tips and ideas all shoved into one super fab post! thanks! can't wait to go make a wreath! xoxo
Dang girl! Will you make one for me? I just painted my front door (will post about it next week) and now I need a nice new big wreath, my old one is too small. Don't think I can do this with that wreath......
Love it!!
~TidyMom
I have that exact same ribbon from my blanket. Now I know what to do with it! Sheer stroke of genius! Love the tip at the bottom about the 2 wreaths. So clever.
Dear Nester,
Thank You!
Love it. It's perfect and simple and so nester-y. Gonna copy it!
I like to read your posts because you are so dang funny. Forget the wreath--you just make me laugh. I linked to you on my blog today--hope that is okay.
what a great idea to put a letter on a wreath! i would never have thought of that, but it adds so much.
This is one of your finest hours! I love it and I'm making one ASAP! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
You all have no idea how happy it's making me that if you bought that blanket, you saved the ribbon too!
Pack Rats, UNITE!
I will be doing that... STAT! I want to take a class on "How to Be Nester 101". You are my hero!
Oh, I most definitely pluck and pull and repurpose! Your wreath is fabulous! My little guy was just sitting by me and asked if your wreath was for baby birds! Ha! Last spring a bird nested on our front door and it has left a lasting impression!
Looks great! I am a sucker for monograms.
Shameless copying, coming soon. I never recycle wreaths because I can never remember where I put them when I took them down last year. And I'm thinking of buying a blanket just to get a ribbon...
LOVED the wreath in person! Totally original to add the humongous letter to the front. And I love the two-wreaths-hot-glued-together idea. Totally brilliant! Fun post! Blessings!!!
I did a letter wreath on my front door in July but now I'm thinking I should go back and stuff some ferns and flowers in it. Love yours! (If you want to see mine it's http://bethcrabtreehunter.blogspot.com/2009/07/wreath-makeover.html )
I wish I had just one good wreath that I could switch things in and out of. I need someone to give me one, because I see them in the store and they all look so ugly. I guess I just can't visualize how good or bad they will look on my door.
I have that same ribbon with the velcro...I saved if from a blanket I bought at Costco last year. Now if I could just get a wreath!
Yes, I re-do them. That reminds me. One more thing to add to my "to do" list is find the wreath for the front door from way back in one of those cardboard boxes and put it where it belongs. Nothing says home like a pretty, fancy wreath on the front door.
Ha! I saved that same velcro ribbon because I just knew I could find a use for it...and now I have. Thanks!
GENIUS! I have saved the velcro ribbon thing from my daughters crib set, thinking I would use it in the future, yeah it's been three years and I still have it! HA!
Oh, you are so smart with your velcro and double wreath thoughts! Beautiful! My last name starts with S~if I lived near you, you might just find your wreath missing one morning...
Love the wreath & the letter.
I save those ribbons too! Too nice to throw out. :)
The double wreath is a perfect idea. I love it. I also really like the tip about the ribbon and the letter is so great. Fabulous. Hugs, Marty
I JUST happened to have re-vamped an old fall-ish wreath earlier this week, then happened to stumble upon this post. Yours is lovely.
No, no, run to TJ Maxx and buy one of those blankets for only $14.99. :)
LOVE your wreath tips.... yes, I am a wreath ripper - and its easy for me to get the old off because I do a poor job of mounting it all down each time I build one!
Like the wiring of two together - the vine wreathes can be found for a bargain around here, but they are usually pretty scrawny.
Great wreath, friend. I've been hanging wreaths like you suggested last year with a ribbon ever since you wrote about it. And I ALWAYS reuse my fake floral. ALWAYS. For baskets, wreaths, vases, just to lay on the mantle with a bunch of other greenery....it all gets recycled at my house.
Blessings,
Sandy
oh gracious - I so just want you to move in at my house for a month or TEN! LOVE LOVE LOVE the wreath...great job as ALWAYS!
Well it is just BEAUTIFUL! Such a great job!!!
:) T
HA!!! When you talked about how you keep everything, but can't seem to put your hand on important things, I really felt a connection since I'm the same way!! There are so many times where I have to FORCE myself to throw things away because it's such a bad habit for me. But you totally scored with this one. That ribbon is a PERFECT idea for this!!
Love that letter wreath...I need to remember this!
sandy toe
Your wreaths are beautiful. I like the idea of having less bulky stuff in my upstairs closet and using just one wreath form. They really are lovely...makes mine look like my dog chewed on some sticks and hot glued them to our door.... ;)
I love this wreath! You've inspired me once again. :)
Girl, I love that the big mama wreath is actually pregnant with a baby wreath. No wonder she's so voluptuous. You are, indeed, a decorating savant.
Love the wreath. What store did you find the letter "S"? Blessings...Sherry
Oh, I love this initial wreath idea! Thanks SO much for sharing it! And I had to smile because I TOTALLY knew what you were talking about the minute you said something about a velcro ribbon around a big fluffy blanket...I probably have at least 3 of those around here, too! They always seem too nice to throw away, but I hadn't thought of a good use for one...thanks for opening up the door of possibilities!
Beautiful! I love having the letter on it. It just totally personalizes it and gives all guests a warm welcome. Great idea!
Hilarious...."naked and unashamed"...
I tried to make Kimba's lemonhead wreath in the spring. I'm still reeling from that disaster. I blogged all about that poor wreath. Maybe I'm a wreath dork. I'm gonna try to muster up the courage to try this.... wish me luck!!!!
I LOVE ripping stuff out of an old wreath (or one I'm tired of!) and making it look new!
Your monogram wreath is beautiful! An idea I am DYING to copy... but, alas... our last name starts with a "U"...
Very clever. I keep all kinds of weird packaging materials crammed in a box in my craft closet. You never know when you might need that two feet of braided jute that came wrapped around a wine and cheese gift basket!
I love the blog, and although I really like your decorating ideas, I love, love your writing style, and today's post is one of the best! Carry on!
I'm going to try this. I'm a Christmas only wreath girl, but I see that is such a waste now. Thanks for opening my eyes :)
Hey I absolutely love the letter idea!!! On my blog I just posted a picture of a wreath that I stripped down when visiting my sister. I called it my Re-purposed wreath. Funny how two decorating design and diva's think alike. My sisters wreath reminded me of her dead ex-mother-in-law who had a fettish for fake flowers. (God Bless her ciggarette smoking perogie making heart). I took out all the fake purple and yellow flowers that were not only painfully outdated but out of season as it wasn't easter anymore. Anyhoo...I plucked it off her back door and repositioned it in her what we now affectionately call her sanctuary. A covered porch off the back of her house. Feel free to check it out at
http://thehousenut.blogspot.com/
That is fabulous! I love it, I'm making my own...I'm so excited!
Speaking of wreaths...I know The Pineapple Door was mentioned on the blog before, but her etsy store doesn't have anything....Does anyone know if she is still making wreaths? Thanks!
You are so creative . . . which is why I am presenting you with an award. Head over to www.templeofadventure.blogspot.com to find out all about it.
Have a blessed day!
Beautiful wreath! Love the letter too! I have just started looking for pretty letters. Where did you find your letter? Probably Hobby Lobby. Oh, how I miss that place!
Loving the ideas. Thanks for showing us the naked side, so we could see how its done!
you crack me up!!!
i always am taking and painting and redoing things...it's so addicting! i swear my husband thinks i am always saving things that i don't "need" but eventually i do find a use for the :)
HI Nester, i have a party that I think will be right up your alley... stop on over! :) Jen
Your wreath looks so great. My only problem is that our last name is Pace and it just seems weird to put P on my door. :)
What a great post! I love the pop of color that the red provides on the white dishes.
GREAT idea.
Just checking in with everyone and to give an update.
I have a new party starting- Wed Sept 2. So each week I will have the Knock Off Knock Out party on Mondays and the Holiday/Seasonal party on Wed. I hope you come for a visit.
New buttons to grab as well.
Cheri
Its So Very Cheri
What a fun site! I love wreaths and adding a letter to one is such a creative idea! Love it!
love the letter wreath so simple yet so elegant
Beautiful! I do the same thing and yours are some gorgeous inspiration!
Thanks for sharing!
;)
Roeshel
Hello - I had to leave a note for you to say what a wonderful blog you have here. I've loved reading your interesting and creative posts. You have fab pictures too - perfect ! Thank you so much for sharing them all and best wishes... enjoy the rest of the weekend....
Oh what a lovely wreath and an entertaining post as well.
~Beautiful wreath~ LOVE the "S".
Can you come over and see if you have any suggestions. I am having problems with my follower section and I need advice.
Thanks Cheri
Its So Very Cheri
That is so cool! Just yesterday I bought an autumn wreath from Hobby Lobby. Now I'm wondering if I could attach our initial with ribbon and Velcro and make it that much more impressive!
The phrase "idiot decorating savant" made me laugh out loud! I love your decorating AND your humor!
Nester- you own me with your bear hands and your yellow teeth. Just too funny.
And I DO love the wreath!! Adorable!!
You've inspired me. This might be the year I make us a decent "Wreath For All Seasons."
THAT is a great idea! So simple with BIG appeal!
I'll go you one better...Bought chenille throw (formerly $40 cut to $4 for clearance) at Target, and have the same velcro closure ribbon. Now I know just what to do with it! Thanks!
I am wondering what color paint is on your front door? In one picture it looked black but in another color almost plum? Whatever color it is, it looks very sharp with the wreath and the trim color around the door...
Hello Nester - love this idea! I have never made a wreath before. It's always looked too complicated to me. But I really like your idea of putting the initial on it, so I think I'll give it a try! Thank you for the inspiration.
Blessings,
Marie
http://emmacallsmemama.com
I love this idea...so much that I ran out to hobby lobby this weekend to create my own. Helps that all the supplies I needed were on sale!
What a fantastic idea!
You are so stinkin' funny! You have me laughing out loud so much that my dog is looking at me with alarm over how much fun I'm having all by myself with my computer! Thanks for the inspiration and giggles!
SWEET! Is GENIUS too strong a word? Nah, probably not. I'm off to create a Letter Wreath!! :D
Joy
www.joyslife.com
I love the wreath with the letter idea that is my next project thanks!
LOVE THIS!
You are so funny. I just love your blog. And yes, I recycle the floral stuff! I had some from like, 5 years ago in a bin, and it was just sitting there because floral was 'out', ya know. But I just realized a few weeks ago that I really am a floral girl at heart. And I needed something on my mantle. So I bought a huge 3-foot grapevine wreath, and a few more floral stuffs, and recycled all my old stuff from the bin! It makes me so happy to see it. And ya, I didn't glue anything either, because I know someday I'll want to change it. Anyway, you are great. Thanks for your great ideas and validation! I think I will try that letter thing on the front door.
~Candice
I love this! I love it!!!!
I just made my own fall door hanger thanks to your inspiration!
http://donnas-dayz.blogspot.com/2009/09/easy-fall-door-wreath.html
Just went out to get some fabulous things to add to my fall wreath... so need a big letter. Where did you find yours? I ve looked a lot and am having a hard time finding a good one. Thanks so much
Love it! Thanks for the inspiration! I finally made one and posted about it-here:
http://vermillionrules.blogspot.com/2009/09/one-down.html
Thanks for the inspiration!!
http://my50acres.blogspot.com/2009/09/wreath-make-over.html
Thank you for this idea! I loved it and finally got around to making one. Thanks!! I posting a link. http://simplyhomeandfamily.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment