31 Days to A Better Dressed Nest :: Day 24~Incorporate Fabric


Fabric and softness can and should be introduced into every room of your house.

  • window mistreatments
  • towels
  • rugs
  • pillows
  • table runners
  • a basket of cushy blankets
  • lampshades {I count them as fabricy too if they are made with fabric}
  • seat cushions
It can be tricky to bring fabric into your kitchen we talked about that before. Check your rooms out, can you soften any of them up with fabric?

28 comments:

Tina said...

That is very true and you're so right, I should try to use that idea! Fabric really can make a total difference to a space!

http://tinasz.blogspot.com/

Jackie @ Lilolu said...

I like it!

Anonymous said...

Nester,

I'd like to bring fabric into our downstairs bathroom. It's only a half-bath. I'd love to frilly up our white pedestal sink, but we live in a new construction townhome that we'd like to sell in about 2-3 years (to move into our "forever" home that we're saving for - we own this one, though, so we technically can do whatever we want to it but my hubs doesn't want to destroy a sink...I'll get to that, LOL). I'd like to incorporate fabric around the bottom to do a skirt for my lovely lady of a sink, but do you know a good way to attach said fabric without ruining the sink?

Thanks!

The Nester said...

Oh Barefoot, I have a sink skirt DIY that is removeable that will be out in my upcoming mistreatment ebook--after the new year but it is worth the wait!

Anonymous said...

I'm a fabric lover too! Hope you're having a good weekend (and that the sun came out? or should I hope that it didn't? :-))
pk @ Room Remix

Colleen P. said...

Barefoot Mama-At the risk of stealing Nesters thunder-Stick on velcro,baby! Stick on to the sink, sew on to the skirt (you'll probably have to buy a length of each type-the half and half is sold some places but it's hard to find) . I'd use the prickly side on the sink, and the soft side on the fabric, so that you can wash it after your child decides to wipe his or her grimy little face on it (not that I know that from experience or anything...) If you have the soft side on the washable part it won't grab everything in the washer and stick to it.

Jen said...

I'm not sure if ribbons and tassels count as fabric, but they can also add to the homey, lived in feel that fabric brings.

An eBook after the New Year? I can't wait!

Love the Decor! said...

Fabric absolutely softens the look!!
Love it!!
Have a lovely weekend!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I have fabric {or some textile} going on in every room in my house. I think it warms up a room, softens hard edges, makes the room cozy in fall/winter and cuts down on echoes in big rooms. I couldn't imagine not using fabric in some way in my house.

Danielle @ Transforming Home said...

I love fabric and use a lot of it! I also like to mix it up, so the fabric treatments at my kitchen windows are typically changed every 2-3 months. It makes such a big difference at a little price.

Jacci said...

Great post, Nester :)

I enjoy sewing, and fabric is one of my favorite elements to add to a home. I wanted to add more softness to our kitchen, too, but it does take a little more creativity with all that bare tile (no rugs for us, either - four children), walls of cabinets, and hard countertops. I thought you might enjoy this project -

http://homeforthebetter.blogspot.com/2009/10/playing-dress-up-with-sink.html

I think it added a lot of charm to the "hard" end of the kitchen :)

Thanks again for the series! I'm taking notes!

Jacci

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I was all set with a comment until I saw your remark that you'll have a new eBook up after the New Year, and I got all giddy and forgot what I wanted to say....

:)

Heidi said...

Totally agree! I've recently found my decor 'inspiration' piece in a RUG that I'll be saving our extra pennies for.
It'll add SO much color, coziness and character to our somewhat hum drum, beige space. AND it's giving me direction to build more of my decor design around which was TOTALLY floundering before. Do you find that you have a certain 'style' when it comes to decorating? I have a hard time deocrating because I just don't trust what looks good together. I recently took a home goods style quiz and apparently I'm "Bohemian Casual." (translation - I like to be comfortable and I like a mix of a LOT of different things in my decor) ha!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

This is my favorite tip yet, probably because it's the only one I have already done!

Salmagundi said...

Do you have some inspiration pictures of fabric in the kitchen that you could show us? Would love to have some new ideas. Sally

Unknown said...

This is one of the many reasons I adore parsons chairs. You can slip cover them for multiple looks, and it brings more fabric into the dining room. Oh... and they are soooo comfy!

The Nester said...

SAlly, click on the link within the post, that's a post about my kitchen that has shades on a chady, long drape style mistreatments, pillows and a fabric covered parson's chair.

Nicole said...

Oh the irony... I just looked around my sewing room/office, would you believe there is not a speck of fabric showing in here? That certainly needs to change prono!

Sarah C said...

I washed two of the sets of drapes from my old house today while my husband put up the old curtain rods in our new rental house....then this evening I bought fabric and rods at Hobby Lobby to make new curtains for our bedroom....maybe mistreatments, we'll see ;o) So I think that counts as doing the assignment!

alissa said...

i love the way that fabric makes a home feel so warm ond cozy. i am thinking about taking the doors off of my cabinets under the kitchen sink and adding a somewhat of a skirt. i am not sure, but i think the kitchen needs something.

LouLou said...

Ummmmm, I have what is called a fabric addiction... There's no 12 step plan that can sure said addiction. You should SEE my laundry room....I make about 89% of my 2 baby girl's clothes... The other 11% of fabric I use around this house... I. love. fabric.

Anonymous said...

I've really enjoyed your posts this month and especially this one along with all the comments.

I struggle a lot with knowing whether the fabrics I like actually "go" together. I would dearly love some tips and tricks for matching different printed fabrics yet still incorporating several different colors. I.E. My kitchen and dining room are open to the living room and I just don't know how to tie it all together yet keep it visually uncluttered with color and print.

Anonymous said...

Nester,

Even my nursing baby is smiling (in her sleep, but it counts, LOL) about your DIY removable sink skirt coming up in the book! Can't wait for it to be out next year - thanks, mama!!

The Accidental Housewife said...

Oooh, a basket full of blankets is a great idea! Thanks!

Abbie said...

For many of my rooms I am holding off on fabric until the crazy, busy, flowered wallpaper is gone and I can focus on what colors I want!

But I did a project this weekend that combined "fixing something" and "incorporate fabric" and turned out pretty good. I used fabric on a broken cupboard! Who knew!

Anonymous said...

I'm incorporating fabric in my living room (with curtains and shades and more pillows). But HELP! How many different fabrics and patterns should there be? Is there a limit?

Beth said...

This isn't really related to the post, but thought you would be interested in seeing a great post about how to make a no-sew roman shade using an old set of metal blinds. Very resourceful!
http://vivafullhouse.blogspot.com/2009/10/new-shades.html

Best Home Mortgage Rates said...

Yeah I agree that fabric can make a place look different. According to me you have presented your points through fabrics. Great work done.