Do you Mistreat?

Big news. Big, big news. It's big to me at least.

What started as me being a cheep, lazy fabric hoarder has turned into such a fun little phenomenon. Dozens of you have sent me photos and sweet emails telling me that you are so happy to finally have something up on your windows! I was embarrassed at first of my mistreatments and always apologized to others who saw them. I would lie through my teeth and say "Oh, I'll be getting rods for that soon and then I'll sew it. I just want to see how it will look." I knew full well that I would never be taking down that fabric until we moved!

Then, my sister in law wanted to copy my bedroom mistreatments. I actually pleaded with her to get rods and not do what I did. Her mom is a great seamstress and can sew wonderfully, I told her to take advantage of that. She assured me that she liked how mine looked and didn't think it needed rods. She was right. Look, here are her bedroom windows all nested up!


She didn't stop there, she was tired of her taupe/gray store bought drapes so we picked out a couple coordinating fabrics to add to what she already had. Her mom did turn and stitch the edges for her. But look, it's just a half width and a separate panel but it adds such interest and warmth!


And look at her cute topper! She just flattened it, out nothing fancy there! Oh, and you can see where she flipped the fabric over to hide the raw edges at the clip! Add cute fringe -- DONE! Cute fringe can fix just about anything! Got an ugly lampshade? Add cute fringe. Got an old pillowcase? Add cute fringe! Got an ugly purse...

Then my own sister was tired of not having soft warm fabric over her kitchen window. She blurted out to me on the phone, "I don't want it to be perfect, I just want it to be beautiful!" We came up with these within minutes and I mustered up the courage to show them to you.



So, I wanted to give all of you who have mistreated and lived to tell about it a little gift. A gift of a button for your sidebar that when properly installed links back to me therefore multiplying my traffic. Ain't I thoughtful? I never cease to amaze me. But really, you have made this so fun for me and I feel like we are all kind of related and should form our own little club. A club of mistreaters. And here's our secret handshake!



If you have mistreated windows and want to tell the world of your glory and intelligence, simply click here and my personal Blog Designer Darcy will tell you how to do it! It's so easy!

Maybe you painted your living room or office Tobacco Road. Or, maybe you haven't mistreated or painted but still love me and want to make me happy and feel all important and like a real pretend designer, you can add this one also by clicking here. Maybe you haven't done anything but just like the quote. Maybe you stopped reading this paragraphs ago.


Look, there she even did two different sizes for me! This woman works like a dog I tell you! A smart, fast, reliable pleasant DOG!



Okay people, can I tell you how fabulous Darcy is? She made this baby change words for me!!! She uses some fancy words to describe it like rotate or animate or blink or vibrate but all I know is I thought I needed 10 different buttons and she came up with this brilliant idea! She even made one just in case the rotating one drives you insane. She thinks of everything! I am in love with this woman! She designed my blog too and if you missed it, I wrote all about how I won that here!

Darcy had this up and running before I could proof read my last post. She is FAST! Shazam! If I hadn't changed my mind 33 times I would have had this for you on Sunday! I cannot say enough good things about this woman! I cannot sing her praises loud enough! If you need something done for your blog or etsy shop and don't know where to begin or how to even describe what you want--she's the one for you! I feel like she can read my mind. Oh, and here's her own cute little button--click on it and it magically takes you to her design blog! It's fun to read because not only does she show what blogs she is currently working on, she also writes helpful tips like how to center things on your sidebar and how to change fonts and get zillions of colors!

Graphically Designing


Thanks so much Darcy! I don't know how you have time for this while homeschooling your 3 Boybarians and shoveling all that snow!

38 comments:

sahmqueen said...

I have loved reading your blog. I found you from Musings of a Housewife. I tagged you for a meme. Check it out if you want. Look forward to reading more. You are inspiring me to get my house looking GOOD!

Glory

www.sahmqueen.blogspot.com

Reagan said...

I think I have commented here before? I can't remember. I found your blog through a friend and mistreated my kitchen and bathroom windows. I used nails and "O" clips to hang my kitchen fabric (nothing was sewn) and then in my bathroom I tacked up 6 nails and used the pockets on the back of the curtain to hide the nails and allow it to hang as well :) It was the quickest and easiest and I LOVE IT! I would put that button on my site, but I don't know how my husband would feel about it since we share ours. I'll have to ask him :)

Anonymous said...

I am already sporting the new button. And maybe someday I'll actually make my mistreatment that I showed to the entire world and lots of people still come by to see it at my blog look beautiful.

Sister Honey Bunch/Judi maloney said...

Does glueing fabric onto a couple boards my husband nailed together and putting it on top of my kid's window meet the Mistreatment requirement?

Reagan said...

Also, because of you I have been using hot glue! I got my glue gun out and did several projects...Check it out if you want :)

http://jereandreagan.blogspot.com/2008/03/dinner-crafts-and-paint.html

http://jereandreagan.blogspot.com/2008/03/storage-tote-ottoman.html

I have an ottoman I found that I am waiting to find fabric for and then recover. That's my next project!

paperjunk-lc said...

I did it! I now have a blinkie!
Thanks, Nester!

Shannon said...

So fun! I already added it. :)

Amanda said...

Personally, I love your mistreatments! I've been so inspired, that I just bought a bolt (it that what that cylindrical tube of fabric is called?) of yellow toile like stuff at the Goodwill for $3 with the intention of mistreating it completely.

You know, when we were looking at model homes last year, we saw several designer decorated homes that skipped the rod and did mistreatements of sorts, only they used vintage doorknobs instead of upholstery tacks.

Anonymous said...

What I want to know is if my window treatments qualify for the mistreatment label. If not I will gladly put the other button on my blog.
Susan

PS- isn't funny that everyone is asking for your permission?

Sissy said...

SOOO glad you shared the info about who designed your blog. I love it, but never thought to ask before.

As soon as I mistreat, I will blink!

Anonymous said...

Oh the button is SO on my blog. (it even sorta matches)...I'm gathering all my supplies and will be mistreating fabric really soon here.

Erin said...

I've mistreated and added the button! I just adore your blog! and Darcy did an awesome job!!

Anonymous said...

I have a ?...I want to do the same treatment you did on your sisters window. My window looks to be the very same size so I was curious how much fabric I would need for that same look?
My email is hey_traci@yahoo.com
Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

I have a ?...I want to do the same treatment you did on your sisters window. My window looks to be the very same size so I was curious how much fabric I would need for that same look?
My email is hey_traci@yahoo.com
Thanks!!

Jenny said...

I LOVE the buttons! I am going to put one on my blog as soon as I get off my rear and do some mistreating! You've inspired me that it doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful...That's something I get hung up on! Thanks for the motivation.

BTW...Darcy designed my blog, too. I absolutely love her. I cannot say enough nice things about her and her professionalism. She's awesome!

Rosie's Whimsy said...

I love all the "mistreatments"! Seamstress or not.....why would you want to spend the time sewing when you can get such great results? :-) Rosie

Musings of a Housewife said...

Love it! Love the buttons! Love the mistreatments! Love it all! :-)

I have one of your buttons on Chic Critique now.

aimee said...

We are kindred spirits, I have been mistreating my windows since 1992. (I called it cheap and indecisive) :)

I found your blog about 2 weeks ago, and have been enjoying it so much! You rock.


P.S.
I added your cool blinky to my blog.

angela | the painted house said...

Hey, there, Nest-ah!

I thought of you with my latest post--ART on the cheap by harnessing the energy of my little people (sweet children). You and I have different personal decorating styles, but we share a love of beautiful interiors and a passion to buck the establishment when it comes to what is right and wrong within design. I like that you offer easy ways to live beautifully to regular janes. Anyway, if you get a hankering, check out my abstract how-to at www.thepaintedhouse.blogspot.com.

Happy nesting!

Jenileigh said...

I love the window mistreatments! What an awesome creation, the idea and the individual treatments! Thanks for sharing! Love your place. I like the feel, its groovy!

Debbie - StudioBeeCreations said...

whooooowhoooooo!!!...OKEEDOKEEE...I posted my Mis-TREATMENT this morning....got the FREE button ( oh my goodness, that was easy peasy)...so, please let me know if I QUALIFY for the club!(...since I already posted that I am a PROUD member and all!!)...lol
I LOVELOVE your posts...your inspiration...and your awesome humor and wit!!...please visit my blog, and let me know what you think!
http://studiobeecreations.blogspot.com/
creative blessings, Debbie

The Nester said...

Y'all are all so funny! Asking me my permission and all! I'm not gonna send the mistreatment police around. They would have me arrested!

If you think you've mistreated then YES, you are in the club!!!

You all have inspired me so much with your fantastic ideas! I just visited Debbie's blog right above this comment--what a cleaver swag/garland at her window!

Thank YOU!

Unknown said...

I did my first mistreatment last night in my loft/playroom/office. I think it turned out great and it makes me want to mistreat every window in my house! I just don't have a stock pile of fabric to do it yet!!! I also have painted almost my whole house Tobacco Road and so far I have had tons of compliments on the color. Thanks a bunch for your inspiration and I will definately add your button to my blog!

Amanda Jo said...

I'm going to mistreat my windows this weekend just so I can join your club!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Cool, this will be my first button. :)

Blanca

Blair said...

Added the blinkie :)
Back to feathering...

Darcy @ m3b said...

Oh curse you, woman! ;)

You're like sooooo popular that I blogged about ya' again. I should make you one of my labels.

-Darcy
http://www.graphicallydesigning.com

Rue said...

I'm a future mistreatmenter (is that a word? LOL) since I hate my sewing machine and I need to put something over the kitchen window. I'll take a pic as soon as I get my lazy butt out and buy some material ;)

I put the blingy on my blog too!
rue

Darla said...

YEEEHAWWWW Look at me, I've got a Nester Badge for my mistreatments!

Thanks! =)

Renee said...

Love those mistreatments and the song in the background to boot!

Oh! And those beautiful cloches....Oh! how I want some but can't right now..... I'll be ok don't you worry.

Cloche or no cloche I will find something in this house to scrounge together to make me not want them.

Hugs~ Renee

"Whoa Nelly"- RB

RyDeb.White said...

I don't know how I found your blog really, but I am so glad that did! I haven't done any mistreatments-yet:)
I am going to add you to my side bar, if that's ok. Thanks for sharing all your cute and crafty ideas!

Deborah
www.ryananddeborahwhite.blogspot.com

Alicia said...

What funny irony! I just came by to tell you I showed my mom your blog yesterday--she has been driving me crazy for 2 years over her curtains! She called me today to brag about the inspiration you gave her to "mistreat" her windows. You've got a gift, girl! And thanks for that cool blinkie-I'm gonna go put it on my blog right away!

Leslie said...

I am going to mistreat very soon! I put your cute little billboard on my site! You are the best!

Kim -today's creative blog said...

I have added your blinkie to my personal site and will add it to Today's Creative Blog soon. :)

Nicole said...

I just discovered your blog through a post on the bargain board(babycenter). I am in love!!! Thanks for all the great ideas and I can't wait to mistreat my windows, lol! And I see that you are Christian as well.

Jessica said...

I am soo excited to read about your windows! I too, am a fabric hoarder, and nothing makes me happier than my fabrics....the problem is my windows do not reflect my love and resemble something out of a good will army store...they don't have the pop they need, and while my sewing is on the low end of "novice" and my budget is a shoe string, it just leaves them frumpy and sad....well, with a pocket full of inpsiration and some beautiful upholstery tacs I am on my way to window number one! Thanks so much for inspiring me! Mistreated windows is a phrase I will use with pride!

Unknown said...

Oh my! Someone left your link on my blog, where I was talking about cutting a duvet cover in half and stiching it up for lined curtains. I was shamefully telling people how I did the same thing as you -- push pins holding curtains up. I opted in a different manner -- pretty screws and hung the new curtains by ribbon loops. I don't know if it is better, but it all worked out in the end.

I love, love, love your blog -- it rocks!

Craig . Kate . Xavier . Cass . Sadie said...

I'll add your blinkie, cuz I just made my first mistreatment! Is it normal to constantly walk by the window you mistreated and stare at it with joy and amazement? (Because I do.)

My attempt:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc285/KateOct15/dec029.jpg