Builder Beige Blah Bath

Do you have the same bathroom that we have in our house? Beige walls. Beige floor. "Brown" "wood" {please don't turn me into that blog all about unnesesary quotation marks we all know just how crucial they are in this description} cabs, white counter top. I wanted a way to liven it up on the cheap, using what I have so I shopped the house and recycled this brocade drapery panel that I used three years ago in our old house. I have 2 shower rods. One for the plastic shower curtain and one for this pocket panel. This panel doesn't reach all the way to both edges so I just stretch it to one side in hopes of fooling the eye. Or eyes if you are not a designer and actually have two eyes.

Target even has towels to coordinate.

See, here's how I used the panel in my old house. You remember the trick, right? Hang that rod high to make the room look bigger. The top of that window is right above where knots are on that ribbon holding up the fabric. And if anyone cares, the walls are tobacco road and I painted the cabs black. This is an example of what you can do to a builder beige blah bath when you own the house and can paint and wreck it all up to your heart's content. Look, I even kept what I refer to as the Miss Piggy lights above the mirror but that fabric is so seductive that you hardly notice them.


Here's another fun trick for all those extra mirrors you have sitting around. Since we have a run of the mill frame less mirror I thought it would add a little cute factor to layer a mirror on top. I tied a super fat ribbon to the things on the back and hung it all on an old finial. This is the boys/guest bath so it's hung at a good height for them. You know for when they fix themselves up and all.


This room is tiny so here's just about all there is to see in our current boy's bathroom. Sure beats beige and the bold pattern hides all kinds of mud and dirt that they bring in. Bold Pattern: a great way to bring life to a boring beige rental!

97 comments:

Robin said...

I love it! I recently turned my bedroom curtains into a shower curtain too.....hung the liner low and the curtains way high....beauty!

emily freeman said...

And you even used a Target panel! No expensive fabric for you. I can't wait to see how those panels turn out in my kitchen.

You make me want to have a buiders beige bathroom with "brown" cabinets.

Blogger said...

I love that fabric and love the double layering of mirrors...more great ideas I get to steal from the Nester ;)

You make boring look so good!!!

Bella
PS: If you get a chance, come tell me what you would do with these 2 'things' I have...it's my current blog post, thanks :)

Les & Sweetie Berry said...

Love the look and the mirror on mirror!
Such joy you bring Nester!
Have a joyful day!
Shan

Heathahlee said...

Love the mirror trick. I'm trying to figure out how to mistreat a mirror in my half bath. For the space, it's huge. It's about three feet tall and runs the length of the wall, but, like yours, it's frameless. Unless you count those ugly plastic do-hickies holding it on the wall. My husband says that liquid nails will hold it up, but I'm afraid it's too big. Any ideas?

* Amanda * said...

I love the "boring beige bathroom"! And such a good looking idea to layer the round mirror over the other one!

Jeni said...

I love how you jazzed up the mirror...I would love to try that one! Your bathroom looks so pretty!

Anonymous said...

Ok...maybe Im weird but I think this is my FAVORITE part of the tour so far..lol
Your house is fabulous but I get EXCITED when boring things look so chic and exciting! I love the shower curtain!!! The mirror over the mirror is beyond fabulous...how did you get the finial thingy to attach to the mirror?? I doubt you would want to go to this extra work but I remember my parents living in a rental and my mom was going nuts that she couldnt do a lot(like painting, etc). She talked to the landlord sharing some ideas she had. He loved her ideas so gave her the go ahead, knocked some money off the rent and told her when my parents left that he was able to get MORE money on the rental the next time due to her creative changes.
I have the day off so I am actually going to look for an exciting change in my bathroom!!

Stephanie said...

I love the mirror idea! We have a ginormous, frameless mirror in our master and I thought about putting molding around the edges to frame it, but this is SO MUCH COOLER! I may actually have a well-decorated house one day, thanks to you!

Shell in your Pocket said...

Love your idea with the two mirrors. Check out my blog...I have a picture of your rooster tassel I bought from you....it's in my laundry room! I love it!!!!
Deb at www.shellinyourpocket.blogspot.com

Katie said...

What a great idea with the mirrors! So clever!

So, now that you have told us what to do with "builder beige blah" rooms, can you help with the "tastless previous owner teal, pink, and gray" kitchen I have? You shuddered, didn't you? ;o)

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

no time to read it all, but MAN whatver it is it looks pretty!

I'll come back when the kids are off to school!

Kristen, pajama mama said...

love to frame in the mirror idea!

also wanted to mention I got to Blacklion during my Charlotte trip last week and picked up an ADORABLE pear tassel...my hostess loved it-thanks!

-kristen

K.H. said...

Very cute, but ... you let BOYS in there?

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I've been so tempted to paint my bathroom cabinets black. I think you just about convinced me to try it. I love the look of yours. And my shower curtain and window curtain, towels, etc., are all black and white, and I have walls a similar color, so this helped me really picture what it would look like. Thanks! -Julia :-)

Traci @ The Bakery said...

Absolutely love the mirrors....you never cease to amaze me with our talents!!!

Carry Grace said...

Blah no more! I love the changes you made, the fabric is gorgeous!

Kristen said...

Love the double mirror, I'm so stealing that!

Your site has really made me think about thievery.

A lot.

Trish said...

I love love love the bathroom mirror. I have been a reader for sometime and just love everything you do.

I have a dilema, I have a 16ft wall in my living room. This wall has been my blah for over a year (when we moved here). I have no idea what to do with this wall. Can you suggest anything? It is a big white space and I hate it!!!

I can send you a picture if you would like, any advice would be so helpful.

Free Art Printables said...

Cute, that looks so great! I use curtain panels too, but mine aren't as nice as yours are! I think it looks beautiful! Jen R

Kimba said...

Very pretty! I love that panel.I used a very similar fabric to cover a chair seat the other day.

Michelle said...

I love the black vanity and the double mirrors. You are so talented.

Kathryn said...

Nester, "Thank You" :-) for so many great ideas in this one post. I have black paint for my ubiquitous oak cabinets, but I haven't been brave enough to actually use it yet. I will now!

And, I love the idea of hanging the layered mirror on a finial. I have been wanting to layer pretty framed mirrors over our builder's standard sheet glass mirrors for ages, but couldn't figure out how to attach them! I already have two unused finials, mirrors, and ribbon, so that will be a quick fix!

Love the "tricking the eye(s)" tips, too.

Christy said...

What a beautiful room! The mirror is so clever and it looks so pretty. Not a "builder beige blah bath" at all!

Wendy said...

I love Damask! I've tried the mirror over mirror thing in one of our old rentals as well. LOVE IT!

Heather said...

I love the print you have used, and I'm totally stealing the mirror over mirror idea!

Katharyn said...

Miss Piggy Lights - What a great name!

Love the print!

Katharyn said...

Miss Piggy Lights - What a great name!

Love the print!

Anonymous said...

I love the curtain fabric...i have almost exactly that pattern on my shower curtain...I love it. Painted the walls a dark, chocolate brown with punchy, white towels... a bold pattern like that really does work in a bath.

thanks for sharing the pics, as always.

mrs boo radley said...

It's fabulous! My bathrooms need that. I'm drowning in cookie-dough colors...I need some prints!

Lora @ my blessed life said...

I absolutely LOVE the layered mirror look!! I've got to try this!

taratoons said...

I love your mirror idea. That is an easy way to fix up that rental's mirror! I wish I had a bathroom to have a mirror that big!!

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Love the black cabinets and the little zebra accents added to the b&w damask! I've seen the mirror layering before, but I love the ribbon you hung yours from! Great makeover!!

Stacey

Mary said...

The mirror thing is a cool idea! Great way to add something to a boring bathroom. Girl, you are a genius. I'm trying to convince my husband to let me paint...He's attached to builder beige. Not kidding.

Candice said...

Wow! That looks great! I am thinking of painting the cabinets in my bathroom black too and this gave me the motivation to do so! Love the curtains too. I will have to mistreat my windows too!

Anonymous said...

Nester~
I wished you lived closer so you could come by and do up my place! I have TONS of stuff in the basement,garage and all over that needs to be repurposed, but for some reason I just can't do it...I even bought a FAB grommet style Waverly panel yesterday for $5.00 with no where to put it...HELP!!! My name is Janae and I am an OCD shopper

Chris said...

Once again, I love it. I've been nervous about deciding to paint my bathroom cabinets, but that made up my mind for me. I'm off to paint!

Dianna said...

Wow, I love it! We just moved into a fairly new house and every single wall is beige! Our house is exactly as you described. I hope I can muster the courage to start painting soon, but I've never done it before. And I'm feeling really timid about painting the cabinets, even though I don't love them.

Anonymous said...

Hey! I just bouught those same panels at Target! SO LOVE them.

Question: Since I hung my rod high and the panels only came in 84" length they are too short for the windows. I like my panels to puddle or at least touch the floor. Even if I let out the hem they are still too short, what can I add to the top or bottom to make them long enough? What kind/color fabric would you add if any?
I hope you can help because I must have these luscious panels hanging in my windows ASAP! :-)

Thanks!

K said...

Before I comment, I have a mistreatment question!

I love the trick where you hang the curtain higher to make your window look bigger.

But what if you have really purty moldings on the top of your window? What would YOU do? Hang it high, or hang it below the top molding but above the glass part, to show off the molding (that is how it was hung by previous owners).

I can't decided what the best way is!

Now, onto your bathroom! I LOVE it! I am so copying you with the mirror idea! I have a picture saved in my idea folder where they did that over a double vanity, which is what we have going on--with 70s cabinetry, a white laminate counter... it's a thing of beauty, really. I have big plans for it, though :)

Beth Cotell said...

"Miss Piggy lights." I love that and what you've done with the builder beige.

Elise said...

I love it!! Thanks to you I am starting to like things I never have before-gold frames, brocade, barn stars...
Elise

Fruitful Vine Lady said...

I actually gasped when I saw the mirror on the mirror! Brilliant! You knock my socks off, you nester!Oh, to find me a mirror to do that trick with! I can't wait to stun my friends with your idea. You know, I never had a sister. Need another one? I'm just throwin' it out there.
Blessings,
Tonya

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

I'd do anything for builder beige walls. We've got a bathroom 90% covered in 70's brown floral tiles, a pink tub and toilet (complete with white seat), a beige sink and orange countertop. I'm drooling with envy over your gorgeous bathroom (and not just bc mine is fuggly.) :)

The Denny Family said...

Once again you rock! I'm hoping to move soon and I'm stealing tons of ideas from you!!!

And if you're up for it... you've been tagged. Check out my blog for details.

Meghan said...

I so want to live with you!

I have one bathroom for my entire family, the same size of your boys & it's seafoam green tile on the walls & tile on the floor.
Oh yea, it's pretty!

I have a kickin shower curtain but need to know how to do some other things in there.

Will you please let me live with you & learn your decorating ways????
Please.
I will supply you with all the baked goods you can handle...I'm a darn good baker...just look at the size of my tushie!

oliveoyl64 said...

Oh my gosh, I could swear you were standing in MY bathroom. Only MY bathroom isn't that neat and clean, or decorated.

I have been looking for inspiration and I loooove the mirror on mirror idea.

Unknown said...

I'm sure the boys appreciate that awesome big bow!
These are all great tips and tricks; thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

That is cute the way you added the round mirror, but I would suggest gluing a frame around the original mirror :)
Melanie

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

OK, see, I made a promise and I kept it - now I'm like #kajillion 800 and 94 down on the list. But I'm commenting again for sure - because MAN that is C-U-T-E! I love the mirror over the mirror (my husband would NEVER let me do that, but I LOVE it!) and I'm going out to find me those panels and towels. Well, next month when I haven't already blown the misc. budget by the 12th (correction: my HUSBAND hasn't blown it...but who keeps track of such things, anyway?)

Kimba said...

Snort. Just noticed the "Miss Piggy" reference. Snort.

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

oooh, I love the mirror-on-mirror combo. That is so fun! And I doubt anyone would think your bathroom is blah now, not with all the fun patterns going on!
-Carrie

Sissy said...

I recently redid a bathroom and used curtain panels from my living room as the outside curtain. I even tacky glued ribbon on them to add an accent and tacked them up with upholstery tags. I know you will be proud cause I finally downloaded my blinkie button!

I have an ugly aquare mirror like that too and it will be coming down when I paint in my master bath. I am sorry you can't paint...I know you would be going wild.

Anonymous said...

what brand paint do you use?

Anonymous said...

The mirror on the mirror helps out a plain mirror. Love it!
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

The bathroom is so pretty. I LOVE, LOVE the mirror on the mirror. Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Although I read your blog all the time I usually don't comment. However, I wanted you to be aware that you are the inspiration for today's post on my blog lifeinholland.typepad.com
I thought you might get a kick out of reading about yourself.

Anonymous said...

seriously nester, you ROCK! we are not worthy!!!! and PS- i am so painting my bathroom cabinets!!

Marie said...

I'm not sure what I like most! The mirror or the fabric! Love those black cabinets in your "old" bathroom. I'm doing that to my master bath... soon.

AJ said...

Love that fabric!!!

Katie said...

I love the look. I have been sharing your blog with everyone I know, I just love it!! How did you make that curtain with the ribbon, tie up thing, also I see you have a huge birdcage in your link to your previous window mistreatment next to your bed. I have been looking for one, they range over $100 on ebay. I actually want one for some finches. I love birds.. Also I need some help in my house, if you can take a quick peak under it is the second post on my header page. Love it here!!

Anonymous said...

Geez! How do keep coming up with such creative ideas? Love the bathroom!

Anonymous said...

HELP!!! How do you PAINT your cabinets? Are we talking sanding and priming? Are you buying plain flat black paint????? Everyone else in the world seems to "know" how to paint a cabinet. Help meeeeee!!!! Painting details for the impaired. Cuz, this is FAB-U-LOUS!!!
Teresa in VA

The Nester said...

Mine were just plain "wood" so I wiped em down and just used black paint from Lowe's. I used whatever finish they told me to use but, it wasn't a high gloss. Since they are bathroom cabs they don't get near the wear as kitchen cabs--for those, you have many more steps of which I am not patient enough to follow thru. I just paint mine and touch them up in 6 months if needed.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I just spent several minutes at Target.com and can't find the towels or panels! Anyone have a link? Not that I want to blatantly steal this idea or anything...

Stevie said...

Oh I love it!!! Love Love Love it!!! I think you are my hero

Katrina said...

Oh I just love that mirror idea! I have seen it somewhere before and I had forgotten all about it. Looks soooo good!

Anonymous said...

I love the frame over the mirror....

Celly B said...

Oh, my! I have some "Miss Piggy lights" in our master bath. They go perfectly with our 80's navy floral wallpaper!

Have you ever painted over wallpaper?

Nancy Hood said...

If I were singing a song right now, it would be 'love it, love it, love it'

Kristen Reyna said...

How gorgeous! What prep work did you do on the cabinets? What kind of paint did you use? I've thought about painting my kids' bthrm cabs, but I'm afraid it would be a disaster. These are light colored builder cabinets with a whitewash. Thanks for any tips you could give!

Jenni Hunt said...

Love, Love, Love it!!

I was thinkin'... do you think hanging a frame only in front of the mirror would give the same effect?

Jennifer P. said...

I hung a mirror on a mirror like that in my old house and LOVED it! Now I've got medicine cabinets to worry about. But thanks for showing me how to lovely up my bathroom :)! Now if you could just teach me how to make boys clean up said bathroom. No matter how much pretty I put in there, I don't think it could make up for lack of aim :)

Aubrey said...

The brocade even looks kind of manly. Do you think they sell argyle-harlequin panels?

How the heck are you so skinny on the Toaster Streudle Diet? I hardly noticed the mirror for envying the slim image in it.

Aubrey said...

Now that I feel like a perv--where did you find gingham towels?

Anonymous said...

Wow pics of the bath. I just did a post on mine with your links.

http://www.organizingconnection.com/Default.aspx?TabId=71&EntryID=125

I am a big fan.

The Nester said...

Aubrey, I only used that photo because the stars collided and somehow I looked super skinny in that photo-- I meant to mention that in my post--I do not look that skinny in real life. I think I will blow up that photo and hang it in my living room.

Gingham towels--yes, how did you see them downstairs in the kitchen drawer? I think they are just thin handtowels from Tuesday morning.

Anonymous said...

Ok...Im a dork. I just looked closer and the knob is not on the mirror....its ABOVE the mirror with a long bow...I get it now.

Jackie ♥ said...

Love the fabric you used as the shower curtain...I seriously need a fabric fix! I love the idea of overlapping the mirror... I hadn't thought of doing that before.. so pretty with the bow. I wish you were my neighbor and could come over and help me decorate my rental!! :)

Blessings,

Jackie

Lisa said...

Love the double mirror idea and I have always loved black cabinets. I have considered doing that in our cabin. The contrast would be awesome, just concerned about how dark overall it would look.

Lisa Q.
lifewiththequeens.blogspot.com

Ashley said...

I love the mirror idea! I've never thought of that! So creative!!

angela | the painted house said...

I love how you gussied up the plain ol' plate glass mirror. And, do I have to even mention the alliteration of your title?

The Beauty Bargainista said...

Oh wow! That looks great!!!!!! I love the mirror! Just tunning! :)

Valarie Lea said...

Cute with the Mirror on Mirror thing. I am about to try and talk my hubby into painting my bathroom cabinets black. Wish me luck!! :)

Katie said...

Thanks so much for checking my blog out. I bought your color, I will send you a picture of the kitchen when I'm done.. Katie (:

Dee Light said...

Fantastic!!! Love the mirror.

Anonymous said...

Your bathroom looked so good that I got inspired and ran to Home Depot for a can of faux Tobacco Road Paint and painted our guest bath today. Wow, you are right--this is the perfect paint color, especially in a room with a black tile floor. I am itching to paint the vanity, but I will probably settle for making a skirt to hide the golden oak finish (my husband does not believe in painting wood, so I am resisting). It looks so good I am tempted to paint the kitchen tomorrow (fortunately, my husband and sons are off on a father-son trip, so I get to indulge my inner nester without restraint). I also did mistreatments for three windows this weekend. You are an inspiration to us all! Miss Kris

Bamawhitney said...

Just wanted to say I love your blog and I just finished hanging a mirror over my blah builders standard mirror in my daughters bathroom. Best part--$1.00 oval mirror and .50 hanger to hang it from and leftover ribbon! Thanks again!

Karen said...

I love the ideas *and* that you had a lamp in your bathroom! That's neat.

Tara said...

Love it! I adore the way you painted your "brown" cabinets. That is going on my to-do list. Our "brown" cabinets and "Miss Piggy" lights are really "getting to me".

Melissa said...

One of my favorite rooms yet! It went from completely generic to warm, inviting, and homey with your touch. I can't believe I'm using those words to describe a bathroom! :) Remember I emailed you a while back about your blue/brown striped fabric that I adored? I found some and I'll post in Monday's party! Thanks, again!

Kelly @ The Barefoot Mama said...

Oooh, how I love it, Nester! The mirror idea has to be one of my favs.

Okay, and I have a request!! Could you do a post about double sinks? Ways to decorate them, how other people decorate them, etc? Why keep 'em plain? I loved seeing your lamp and other little embellishments adorning yours. We currently have a one bathroom house with a pedestal sink but are moving into a house with two bathrooms, one of which has a double sink. I don't want to fall into the trap of putting a little candle in the middle of the two and that's it, so I'm searching for ideas!

Thanks, thanks, and, if I didn't already say it (did I?) thanks!

Danyele Easterhaus said...

i have done the hang it high trick myself. good reminder! love the brocade!

Susan said...

I'm using this idea in my half bath. I'll blog about it soon...make sure you check it out. Thanks so much for the idea!!!

Mindy said...

I can't find those black and white towels at my Target :-(. Can you tell me the brand name so I can do a www search.

Loving your blog!

Mama P said...

O I really like this. Hmmm, I wonder if my husband would let me paint the cabinets black.... My bathroom are ALL boring and beige. Yucky Thanks for the times.

Unknown said...

I love what you did with the mirror and ribbon. I'll have to consider doing this in our guest bathroom.