Want that fall feel without purchasing every pumpkin at your local craft store? Me too. I decided to shop the house and see what I could come up with. Here's what I found:
* Big red finial {thing that looks like a clown hat}
* Red urn and little pumpkins that fit inside
* White platter with candles and wooden beads
* Silhouettes of my boys
* A pumpkin and an urn
* Metal topiary form that was sitting empty on our porch
* Fake Christmas berries
* Red Fabric
I just kind of wrapped those berry sprigs around that form really causal like. This table will look great on into winter too. I'll simply replace that pumpkin with a little topiary come December. And that red fabric--I only draped it under the square topper on the table replacing the old unfallish fabric that was there before.
See, free fall decor. I bet you've got some stuff hiding away that's just waiting to make an appearance in your home.
If you are new here, visiting from my guest post over at Simple Mom, WELCOME! If you aren't familiar with Simple Mom her tag line is, "Live simply, stay sane. Life hacks for home managers." Now who doesn't need some of that?
Fall Decorating Without the Fuss
Scrawled out by
The Nester
on
10/22/2008
Labels: seasonal
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
52 comments:
I love your decorations - so simple but very elegant. I've never been to simple mom, but I'm going there after I hit the publish button.
I love your ecletic collection. I love that little red urn with pumpkins! (be careful with those wooden beads and candles)
I think I mentioned yesterday...but would you mind checking out the mistreatments I did? http://thelopsidedhouse.blogspot.com/2008/10/easiest-window-treatment-ever.html
I've also never been to simple mom but as Suzann said...I'm heading there right now. :)
Happy Autumn!
Love the silhouettes of your boys! I think when I get around to having kids this is a must. How creative you are to go shopping in your house and end up with something like this. Can't wait to see the table dressed for Christmas!
Very pretty. I always like silhouettes. :)
Didn't know you were guest-posting at Simple Mom - she's one of my faves.
I'll have to go check it out!
Love your blog, Nester! You have so many great, affordable, realistic decorating ideas! I'm glad to find out that I'm not the only weirdo who hangs fabric with tacks for makeshift curtains. My family always teased me about that one, but now I can tell them that it actually has a name - window mistreating! Yay! Actually, it seems as though this window mistreating phenomenon has spread across the country!
I love that you're so real. Your posts make me laugh. Oh, and you homeschool also. So do I.
Take care and God bless!
Girl, you are the best! I'm off to see Simple Mom!
I wish I had a table that could just be for holding vignettes like that. Well, I do, but then we couldn't eat without getting food all over the sofa. But yours is so pretty I might just have to invest in an upholstery cleaner! : )
heathale
I'm so with you!
I opted NOT to use my dining room as a dining room so I could put stuff like this in there. Luckily, I was able to squeeze my eating table into the kitchen so I had an "extra" room to play in! For me!!!!
looks great! love it.
It all looks great, Nester, and just right for my budget.LOL
What corner can I clear to get in a round table. I have THREE in my attic if any one else needs one.... :)I told you, there's a lot of great stuff up there. You'd be proud of me though, I have lots of cute fall things without breaking the pumpkin bank...including two of the things on your table. :)Off to see your blog crush.
Oh my, where did you get the red finial? I love love love it. The table looks wonderful. Well done.
So cute..I love that RED posty thing...love it!! I love silhouettes...they are great. I had mine done in Disneyworld...so fun!
-Sandy Toes
Lisa--I'll tell you all about those silhouettes {or however you spell it} really soon! They are SOOO special to me and I had a real live artist do it!
Post is in the works!
Thanks!
Berry nice (hehe)!
I love it when I can shop my own house - my hubby thinks I should do it more often.
you are so clever! I love reading your blog not to mention seeing pics of all your creative ideas! Wish I had one ounce of that creativity in the home!
Oooh, I like that table. You have such great taste. Thanks for all you share!
This looks so good. I love the idea of finding things you already have and making them work! Thanks for the ideas.:)
That looks so great! It's amazing what we can do with what we already have if we try :)!! I just love silhouettes, too -- I have some of my daughters & I will always treasure them!
Love it!
Add me to the list of people that want to know where you got the red finial.
Finial--
Garden Ridge--YEARS ago.
I's cracked and held together with clear packing tape. Shhh.
I love shopping from home! Especially my neighbor's home! I always find good stuff over there, and vice versa. ;)
Lovely set-up!
I love your fall table decor, especially the silhouettes!
I sent you an email about mine. :)
I heart the silhouttes....and i want some of my boys BAD. Is this not something I could do? I would love to find out i could...i'm off to shop etsy because I feel an obsession coming on.
I love the silhouettes! It is all so pretty and I'm impressed that you did it all from stuff around the house!
Hi Nester,
I loved your post over at Simple Mom. Great ideas. Now I need to go shopping....in my house!!
~Corinne
Beautiful. I like your idea about taking what you have around your house. Your tassles are AWESOME! I love them.
That looks really cute! I need to find more areas to put stuff on.
I don't think I can decorate for Fall this year. I'm having a hard time just keeping the house clean! Love your ideas, though.
cute as pie.....
Love the display. Love the "clown hat". You didn't hang a tassel on it... see, you knew that would be too much. I would have messed it all up by adding ribbon or something else on it.
I could shop my house all the live long day and still not have such a pretty display.
I think you have an extra chromosome or something.....:-)
Great idea to shop at home and decorate for fall! Come by and check out my fall giveaway http://www.three-peas.com/2008/10/celebrate-fall-extravaganza-fall-crafts.html
You have such amazing ideas girl!! I love the idea of 'shopping the house' - unfortunately, I'm still acquring things to even begin to shop my house. Hoepfully my decor will pick up the longer I'm married. (o:
I love it! It is amazing what you can find when you shop in your own house!
Please, Please, Pretty please do a tutorial on how to make silhouettes! I have been wanting to do this of my four children and need the know how?? Help.
Holy Crap that finial is fabulous!I love that you show us how to decorate for seasons in a way that doesn't make it obvious that you're decorating for seasons. Too bad it's not fully sinking in and I still use window clings.
I love your version of fall decorating...as usual!
can't be better than shopping from your own home, a good habit to get into...
Sarah
Love it!! You are just so creative:) Thank you for sharing these fun fall ideas:) I just adore fall, I can tell you do too.
Julieann
I am looking to get silhouettes made of our whole family. They are just precious!
I love your site, Nester; really I do!
I tagged you! I know you probaly have more tags and awards...but I just love your blog...this is a newer tag!
-Sandy Toes
I love silhouettes! I've got this local guy here that does them in like 32 seconds! I'm not even kidding. I have to get one of Em and my set will be complete!
Beautiful, as always! I'm liking the organization of this blog ... but, I miss the links to other blogs that used to be in your sidebar. I only have you saved as a favorite, and would check others from your blog. Where did it go?!?!!
You are so creative, I love your site.
Great ideas. I just did the same thing yesterday! I was getting tired of the clutter in my living room and "spring cleaned" it. Then I got out a fall ish tablecloth and covered my large french coffee table with it and used a tray and pulled stuff from all over the house. I ended up with a nice display with gourds and jack o lanterns.
It's good to be reminded that we can re-decorate with what we have already. It looks great when you change it up!
www.thetopiarylady.blogspot.com
I sooo love "shopping the house" it makes me feel good about myself- hubby likes it when I do that too. funny b/c I JUST re-did my round table too with things around the house -want to do a new tablecloth on it but all I have is rectangle ones which dont cover those large rounds - ended up using two rectangles to cover it all-but not sure if I like it or not. May have to fabric shop and "mistreat" it :-)
You never finished the home tour! I'm glad to see a little more of it. Nice decor!
girly--actually you saw this room before, the keeping room--I just move all my furniture constantly.
Luvs it! Stuff doesn't have to match it has to "go"
I love your blog...I'll be back:)
You have a fantastic eye for decorations. I love them.
I love the fall decor! The silouhettes of you boys are so neat!
Stephanie
Post a Comment