10 Minutes to a Room You'll Love:: Part 2 Master Bedroom

This is the second post in a series where we are exploring all sorts of quick and easy ways to spruce up your home. The idea is to focus on a few things that you can change right now to make the room just a little more inviting. Read Part 1: Family Rooms here. At the end of the series we will have a Mr. Linky party so you can show us any changes you have made; so don't forget to take some photos!

Do you want to be in your bedroom?

I know for me, one of my decorating regrets is ignoring our bedroom. I found myself wanting to spend all my time and energy making the public rooms of our house look good so others could see all of my hard work. Meanwhile, our room sat there all ugly and neglected. One day I decided that our room deserved a little attention. There are all sorts of huge renovations we can tackle to improve our rooms but today lets start with the basics and talk about some quick and easy things you can do right now to begin the process of making your room your haven.


Make the bed

The focus of the master bedroom should be the bed. If you can only afford to have one piece of furniture in your house, please make it the bed. If you cannot afford a bed frame, get a mattress and some great sheets. If you cannot afford a bed frame, or a mattress, or sheets go sell your computer and buy a mattress and the best sheets Target carries. It's worth it. And it was nice knowing you. The bed should capture your attention and beg you to get in. Make the bed and make it pretty. Maybe you are a pillow lover if so, take the pillows off the sofa and load the bed up. Maybe you like a simple clean look--why not turn down the bed like they do in those fancy hotels? However you normally make your bed--switch it up and make it a little bit differently today. But by all means, make it.


Clear the clutter
It's better to have clutter in your living room than in the bedroom. Every surface was not meant to be stacked upon. Do yourself a favor and remove the clutter. Now! Clothes are either dirty in the laundry room or clean in their drawers. Too much stuff? I try to keep a box in the garage to fill with junk for the goodwill.


Keep it Personal

Make sure you have a favorite photo of you and your honey. Remove or limit the photos of the kids, this room is about you and him. It's nice to have a wedding photo but make sure you have something up to date as well. Dig out that card that your husband gave you. The one where he wrote all the right things. Open it flat and place it in a frame. He'll be thrilled that you saved it and framed it and you will constantly be reminded of how he feels.


Go wireless
Remove technology. Computers, phones, TVs, exercise equipment: the more you have the more you will associate this room with work and not relaxation and other fun things. Ok, so this one will take more than 10 minutes. But do it anyway. I'll wait.

Lighting
Turn off the dreaded overhead light and turn on the lamps that should be on each side of the bed. The bags under my eyes and cellulite on my thighs, I mean one's eyes and thighs will be less evident and you and the room will look much more inviting.


A place to sit
Whether a wing back chair, a bench or folding wooden chair some type of seating is a great perk in a bedroom. I've been known to steal a chair from the dining room topping it off with a pillow to soften it a little.

Embellish your windows
Maybe you already have something on your windows. Can you take it a step further? Hot glue some fringe on the edges, add a piece of fabric as a topper. It's amazing how pampered just a few yards of fringe can make you feel.

Create Space
One way we have made some space in our room is to put a dresser in the closet. We've been able to do this in the last four houses that we lived in and one closet was tiny. Of course, if you can afford one of those fancy shelving systems even better but, a quick fix is just to move the dresser. Mine fits neatly under my hanging clothes and frees up lots of space in our small bedroom.


Now, you have a clutter free, personalized, wireless, well lit, bedroom with the bed all prettied up. We're gonna put those swank hotels out of business.

Go to Part 3:: Bathrooms


*************
Related Posts:
*************
Well, I guess I need to go and follow some of my own advice and pick up the dirty laundry from my bedroom floor. While I do that, I'd love to know: What's your favorite part of your bedroom?

101 comments:

Sara said...

My favourite part of my bedroom is my dress maker's mannequin, on which I usually like to display either a work in progress, or currently a new outfit I have plans for taking out on the town. But I have a question for you, what can I do with my bedroom, to declutter and make wireless, when it also serves as my office, living room and storage, since I'm a student renting a room and a half in a 5 person house. Sometimes I feel like the clutter gets over whelming. Help.

Melissa Stover said...

i love my bed. it's all white. i love clean white sheets and my down comforter. right now my bedroom is cluttered with baby crap, but it's a temporary thing (i hope). but really i'm going to clean it tomorrow. you've inspired me. maybe i'll even make my bed.

Lisa said...

WE ALL NEED TO MAKE OUR BEDROOMS A PRIORITY. THANKS FOR PUSHING US OUT OF THE NEST AND HELPING US TO FLY. HUGS FROM MAINE.

http://sophie4me.blogspot.com/

Karen at Nittany Inspirations said...

I'm going to use your suggestion to frame and display his love letter. Perhaps it will inspire him to write another one.

alison said...

I so AGREE!! especially w/the wireless bit-- but dh does not at all, and I'd rather have less contention than to fight about it. My fave thing is that I've done some original art for over our bed--and both dh and I LOVE it---its something that is just us--not really about the kids, or the style of our house. That and our bed is big and fluffy and has lots of pillows that he's all in favor of too.

Remodeling Guy said...

Great stuff Nester. No backtalk from me at all this time!

The Beauty Bargainista said...

I love this post! I have been working on my bedroom for the longest time! I acutally have evertying to go in it, I just havent put it all together yet! :)

BECKY said...

I love all of your tips on the MB. Mine has been used as a sort of storage area for too long, and I'm slowly turning it into our sanctuary. We have an awesome bed, and a good sized bedroom. I just have to organize and store the overflow! I love the idea of putting a dresser in the closet...may have to explore that a little more...

I'm new to your blog, but love it!
Thanks for sharing and helping us beautify our spaces!!
Have a joy-filled week!!
Becky

Unknown said...

I struggle with our bedroom because it's the only place DH can have his desk and computer. He won't change it, so no point trying to argue. However, I know I can work on the rest of the room and that is my plan. Thank you for the wonderful pictures. I can look at them all day!

Sheryl

Ashley said...

My favorite part of my bedroom is my little white antique desk! It's cute and perfect for stowing things away. Thanks for another inspiring post- I'm cleaning my room tomorrow!

Heathahlee said...

My favorite part of my bedroom is my windows. I love to pull up the blinds and let all that beautiful southwest facing light pour in! : ) Oh, and I also love my wood floors. Not too good for cold mornings, but they sure look pretty!

Amber Filkins said...

I've also had a bedroom makeover on my mind for awhile. My favorite part of our room is our bed. The "foofy" pillows rarely ever get put on it, and it's not even made *every* day, but I love it. It makes me sigh.

........so, I'm guessing we should get the extra desk and desktop computer out of our bedroom??? Ya, that's been on my mind lately too. :)

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Ever since you did that last bedroom post...I thought about it....hard, and am making the bed....but the rest....lots of work for improvement. It's my catch all room, and girlfriend, not even your three boys, plus my three boys could catch all that's in that room. :)

Funky Junk Interiors said...

What I love best about my bedroom is the fresh newness to it. Fresh taupe paint, new window, new hardwood floors, white woodwork, creamy cotton tab topped curtains, black rod, light furniture. Woodsy rustic wreath on the window sill, black bowback antique chair. And that's it. No headboard yet.

I don't have a hubby and I don't really want a pic of me in my own bedroom. So I guess I'll continue to simply enjoy the mountainview outside instead. :)

Loved the idea of a dresser in the closet! Closet is bare at the moment from painting so I'm going to give that one some serious pondering!

Donna

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

Oh dear! My bedroom needs some serious TLC. As hard as I try, it always becomes the catch all for everybody's extra stuff. I HATE that! I am going to make it a priority and give it some much deserved LOVE. Poor little master bedroom...feelin all neglected and hated on!

p.s. I adore your idea of framing a sweet card or note from the hubbs. I am totally copying that one!

~Amanda

leigh ann said...

I love this post. My favorite part of my bedroom is a group of unrelated floral paintings that my husband's 98 year old grandmother painted sometime in the 70's. we had them framed in matching frames and I just love them....I love that they are personal to us without distracting us from personal things (gosh that sounds so dorky!).

Shell in your Pocket said...

I have some fun votives hanging above my bed. I love decorating my master bedroom and I am a "master bedroom" Nazi with clutter..NO CLUTTER! If you let a little it will just ask for more!
-sandy toe

Willo said...

My husband has the bedroom simplicity rule down to a T. He absolutely won't allow any furniture, pictures, anything in the bedroom. We don't even have a clock. I have to admit, it's peaceful, but it could use some sprucing up.

Lynne in NC said...

Wow, this is great advice. You've got another set of fabulous ideas. The one thing I wanted to do in our room, and we finally did it -- painted the walls deep red. It is warm and cozy and VERY inviting.
Thanks for sharing!
Peace.

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

My bedroom is far from perfect but I decided a long time ago to not let it become the dumping ground for stuff. (just don't look in the closet! LOL!)

I still don't have window treatments because I can't decide what I want. I hate making decisions!

What I love? I love the calm sage greenish gray walls (may be passe- oh well). I love my Alaskan artwork (my home state) hanging on the walls. I like my plain and simple comforter. (although me thinks I need to get a colorful pillow or two to jazz it up a bit). I love that it's clean (most of the time). And NO TV!

Kristi~The Slipcover Girl said...

ooohhh...I want Sara's dress maker's mannequin...but for my sewing room! My favorite is my bed! When we got married it was the only piece of NEW furniture we bought (for obvious reasons). We just replaced it a coupla years ago and I love it. When we go out of town, I can't wait to get home and let my bed hug me to sleep. We do have a TV...but it's in a big armoir, so you can't see it. I know...bad, bad, bad!

Sissy said...

I love the door I have hanging over our bed and I love how big our bed is! It doesn't leave room for much else, but I love it. I am still working on the other walls in our room, cause I took all the frames out to the dining room to make a big display. Sigh, I guess this means I will have to go shopping.

duchess said...

Great tips, Nester. (I love the selling the computer part.)
In our bedroom, I love the trayed (sp?) ceiling and the table we use beside the bed that used to belong to my grandparents.

BlueCastle said...

My bed is my favorite part of my bedroom. Probably because it's pretty much the only thing in there. :) I need to go get myself in gear and clean up my room. Thank you for all the tips and suggestions.

jo said...

great tips. I need to recover some pillows from around the house I think. My favorite part would be the nightstand and great lamp I just scored from Walmarts Better Homes and Garden collection.

Christi said...

My favorite part of our bedroom is the bed - but it's time to spruce it up a little bit!

Jenny@ L.O.T.s of Love said...

AMEN to go wireless! We have never had a TV in the bedroom. I think that is important and have never understood why you would have on in there.
I also make the bed EVERYDAY! So important!
Great ideas!

Gretchen said...

You are so right about keeping the master bedroom as a place to retreat. It makes me sad to see master bedrooms piled high with laundry and stuff, stuff, stuff. What does that say to the hubby? The public places in our homes are important, but the place I share with my husband should say 'you are most important... lets have fun.'

Lucy Marie said...

My favourite part of my bedroom has to do with the go wireless tip. Before we got married (2 1/2 years ago) friends of ours who had been married much longer gave us a piece of advice that we have stuck to: don't have a television in your bedroom. We decided to try that out (even though both of our parents always had TVs in their rooms growing up). Although there are some nights when I'm really tired or days when I am sick that I wish I could just curl up in bed and watch TV, we have been very happy with the choice. It ensures that our bedroom is not the go to place all the time and that we talk before bed rather than just turn on the tv and fall asleep. If we are ever really desperate to curl up in bed with a movie, we just watch something on my laptop, but for the most part TV/movies stay out of the bedroom. I also really love my bedding and I agree with your tip that making your bed every single day (and trying different things with it) makes a huge difference. Thanks for the tips.

Misty said...

Great ideas. My room is fairly large, and I'm able to have a sitting area. I have two upholstered "dining" chairs with an end table between. It is my favorite part of the room. I rarely sit there, but it just looks elegant.

Abbie said...

My favorite thing(s) are the cheap but not cheap looking painting on the wall that I found years after my bedding, but perfectly matches it and the top of a small dresser that is only for "pretties" instead of clutter, stacks, etc. (There are two dressers though that just get piled on ... hmmm)

Still Learning said...

My favorite part of my bedroom is my big fluffy bed. 3 years ago my husband suprised me with a complete bedroom makeover. New bed, new linens, new artwork, he even re did every accessory on our mantle!! But he did a great job on the bed. So cozy and fluffy and comfy.
BTW, I took your hints from last Monday and re did my family room yesterday. I love love love it.

Thanks!

Lindsay @ Makely said...

Woo hoo! Great post! I, too, neglected my bedroom for so long and just started working on it about a month ago. It has made a HUGE difference. I like the idea of taking down the kid pics. That's all we have in our bedroom, and well, it feels like he's watching us. ;)

I love my bed, too. We have crisp white linens and a toile covered headboard. Every time I walk into my bedroom, I smile. It's my favorite part of my room. Or maybe it's the bay window, which is just TDF. Have I mentioned that I am in love with my house?

I'm actually going this afternoon to buy the fabric for my window treatments in the MB! I've got pics of my test window treatments on my blog if anyone wants to check them out.

Hillcrest Acres said...

I love your bedding. If I may ask...please, please, please tell me where you purchased it.

Have a great day.
Susie

Emily said...

I just love all your tips! My favorite part of my bedroom is my bed and lamps. I have the shabby chic sheet from target and a duvet at the end of my bed with alots of pillows! xoxo, Emily

Tiffany said...

My bedroom is definitely one of my highest priorities. I do have a TV in there *gasp* because I do love cuddling up and watching a movie. It is, however, a football free zone!

Since we're talking about pretties, come over and leave a comment on my give away post!

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

I love this series! I agree with you about how important the bedroom is. It was the first room I did when I moved into our house. Although...it's a little (a lot) cluttered now, and I left a few projects unfinished in there. So, thanks for the kick in the butt to get those things done so I can enjoy my oasis again!

Scooper said...

Girl, I was so in need of this post! Especially since I just posted my "room of shame, wall of fame" post, lamenting how awful my master bedroom is and how I'm simply stuck. I have broken all the rules: clothes, clutter, technology, and focusing all my energy on the public rooms.

Sadly, I have to keep our old ugly desktop in the bedroom since our house is TINY and there is literally not another space for it. But, I'm planning to relegate it to a little corner and get rid of the hideous folding table my husband set up temporarily (which has now turned into 3 months.)

As usual, you have motivated me to break out of my debilitating perfectionism and just do something, anything, to improve this space.

Holly said...

My favorite is the bed, because it's comfortable and I love sleep. Our room is a disaster...piles everywhere. It's on my to-do list, but I never seem to get to it. Thanks for the kick in the pants.

Sandy said...

Favorite part? Seriously - our bed! How's that for an answer :)

See ya Thursday! Woo Hoo!

Party of 5 said...

I'm so excited! Why? Cause this post couldn't of been at a better time if I planned it myself. LOL I JUST (like read Saturday) redid my Master bedroom. I had to *gasp* make EVERYTHING because I couldn't find what I was looking for anywhere. (the pain in my neck and back proves it..LOL). So while I *had* to actually break out the sewing machine I also did a lot of things ala'Nester style and I LOVE it. Thank you for giving me the freedom to do things myself and not making them complicated. I posted my new bedding on my blog...maybe later I should post the shortcuts I took. :-)

Unknown said...

I have made our bed the focus of the room with putting it under the window and having billowy drapes on either side. I also iron my sheets. I only have two sets (one from target :) ) but that makes it feel like a luxury to put the ironed, neatly folded sets on once a week. Thanks for the inspiration to do some more to my room.

Karol said...

Awesome, awesome, awesome post. I have been working on my bedroom. I totally agree with all your advice.

Karol :0)

Newburgh Restoration said...

I really like the different plates

Anonymous said...

My favorite thing in my bedroom is the chandelier over the bed. Makes me feel like a princess!

jannypie said...

lovely. another TO DO on my list. the favorite part of my bedroom is my heating pad, lamp and a good book, its a great place to relax.

Anonymous said...

Ok...heres my problem with the master bedroom. Our house is small. My husband has LOTS of STUFF...he has 3 guitars, 100's of CD's, 100's of books, oh my gosh, just STUFF!!! In order to keep this 'STUFF' out of my livingroom (we dont have a family room) I let him have the bedroom. I mean, its picked up and stuff and the bed is comfy with a featherbed and nice sheets/comforter, etc but the surroundings are NOT pretty!!!! Sooooooo, if you are VERY limited on space what do you do with this stuff??? His books are on bookshelves and his CD's are on shelves but its not pretty and the guitars take up too much room. I would LOVE a pretty room!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

we live in a super small studio...so my bed is adjacent to my kitchen counter! Excited for the day when I have a bedroom with its own walls!

Anonymous said...

O.K. I am guilty of having my desk and computer in the bedroom, but,it has a great big bay for my awesome writing desk and I have a huge dark red cabinet with shelves that neatly holds all of my work, and picture frames. Besides, the computer for me is FUN not work. Even when I am working, it's fun because I am usually researching pretty home decor for my clients.

But I do make my bed everyday. No toys in this room. It's mine all mine!
~Misti

Precision Quality Laser said...

I don't know how many times I sighed as I read this post and the following comments. There is nothing I like about my bedroom. It does not evoke romance, relaxation or any of the other adjectives I wish described it!

But you have inspired me to find out what it is I need to turn it into a romantic retreat for me and my husband. Wish me luck!

Anonymous said...

I just love your blog! What great ideas and those little kicks in that pants that we all need!
I love, love my bed it is giant (for dh who is a giant!!), But I do have a challenge. We have only the bed and nightstands in the room (btw so did the dresser in the closet because no space!!) but we have 2 dog crates in the room because there is no where else to have them, very very tiny house. What should I do?? I would love to hide these hideous things but HOW???? Gwynne

Michelle said...

My favorite part of our bedroom is our bed. We spent a lot of money on a great matress set, and to this day we still agree that it was the best money we ever spent.

We do however, need to spruce it up a bit. Thanks for reminding me to put a little more effort into our sanctuary!

Mswannabe said...

My favorite part of my bedroom right now is our bed. We haven't had an actual "bed frame" since we got married and when we recently moved that was the first thing that I really wanted to get. I just love it. It sits a bit high, which makes me feel a bit more important when I crawl into it and we found it at a nearby furniture outlet store, so when I think about how much we paid for it (or how little we paid for it) it makes me like it that much more.

Anonymous said...

My favorite part is this big white circular chair I inherited from an aunt. Unfortunately, it's always covered with Husband's clothes.

Tracey said...

I never thought to take the phone out of the bedroom! Good bye phone.

Tracey said...

Oh! And my favorite part of our bedroom is our bed. It can be dressed up fancy or casual dress Hula style.

Lizzy Bee said...

Thanks so much for the simple tips! very helpful. Check out my blog sometime! www.buckaroojunction.blogspot.com

CRICKET said...

We have been living without a headboard since we got married. Yesterday my neighbor set an old pencil post bed frame out in the trash. I was so excited to make it mine!

Unknown said...

My favorite part is definitely the bed, it is SOO comfortable. But, I must admit, our bedroom is the most neglected room, for the same reasons you mentioned, I spend all my time on the public areas. So...thanks for the challenge, I'm going to work on our room and have it ready, or at least better, for your linky party! Thanks, Nester.

Tamara Jansen said...

I just re-did my bedroom but I like your idea of adding trim to the curtains.....I'll think I'll get right on that :)

Carrie said...

My favorite part of my bedroom is my headboard. It is a fireplace mantel. When we moved from an apt. to our home we not longer had a fireplace, but I could not part with the mantel. We have a king-size bed and the mantel fit near perfectly, it only lacks about 2 inches in width.
I will have to post a pic on my blog soon.
Thanks
Carrie

~ Lisa @ AbidingThere~ said...

I love my soft, cozy nest of a bed. I can hardly wait for the end of the evening so I can go snuggle down in it!

The Golf Widow said...

It's so true. The master is always the last bedroom you decorate. My girls looks like Pottery Barn kids exploded and mine is hodge podge of everything. No more I say!!! I love the dresser idea. I have very few long thing that hang,so now I will just need a clever shoe solution.Any ideas?

Kristen, pajama mama said...

i'm intrigued by the dresser idea, too....never thought to put it in the closet, but i think i like it!

okay, so how do you get your bed so high? is it because of the pillow-top mattress or do you have some secret that you didn't reveal in your post? i once tried adding an extra boxspring, but that gave it too much height, we couldn't reach the top, and we're a tall couple...not a high point in our marriage, to say the least!
okay, gonna go remake the bed...
-kristen

Tina said...

seriously, i want to sleep in that bed. you and the man will have to make room for me.

The Boyos said...

I have a great quilt and shams that I made myself. They are so pretty and cheerful. I love going in to my bedroom in the afternoon when the sun is shining in on my made up bed. I always want to lay down and read my book. You've inspired me to clear off the clutter. Thanks!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Favorite part of our bedroom is our bed. It has a mantle style headboard with lights in it for reading. It is sooo romantic looking in the evening, with just those lights on. Our bedroom is not large either and I didn't put a lot of furniture in it. The furniture I have is large so it is impressive looking. We love it!

Holly said...

I soooo needed to see this in writing!!!! Thanks Honey!

Anonymous said...

My favorite part of the bedroom is my vibrator. Haaaa. No seriously, Prozac ruined that particular vice.

I'd say my lamps, rug, and window treatments are my faves. They work together to add spark and personality but also accomodate so many different bedding options.

And I have to disagree with the removal of electronics suggestion. I do so love my TV in the bedroom. I went to bed alone every night until I allowed hubby to install that thing. Sad, yeah, I know.

Heather said...

Great tips on the master bedroom! I really love the advice you give on your blog - so much so that I gave you an award: http://heathershodgepodge.blogspot.com/2009/02/kute-award.html

Cassidy said...

First on my "to do" list for tomorrow is, make the bed. For 7 years our room has been neglected. But, I finally found pretty bedding and that has inspired me to "pretty it up" and this post helped too!thanks

Jill -Forever and Ever House said...

Everything looks so cozy! Sigh! I just love your style!!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Great list! I agree with you completely about the bed. It is hard for me to travel now because I miss my bed too much!

Love the star above the bed too - I am obsessed with big stars!

Jen

Smelling Coffee said...

I'm SO glad that I found your blog! I look around me and am overwhelmed at the things I see that need to be updated and changed - and since I can't do it all right now, I haven't done anything. Until today.

Today, thanks to you, I spent about 30 minutes in my bedroom moving things around, adding a chair and pillow, and taking clutter out - and I have a brand new room! (I didn't take "before" pictures - I had no idea it would be such a nice change!)

Thanks for the inspiration!!!!! I can't wait to go to sleep in my peaceful freshened-up bedroom tonight.

Little Oak Table said...

OK you gave me the motivation I needed, thank you! My room is now tidy and clean, pictures and chair in place, decluttered. I posted before and after pics. Yeah! I was productive tonight!

MarthaYvette said...

I love the love letter idea, I have a ton (he's an english teacher that writes really good) :)...but my problem is I don't care for our room it's more his than anything, he's got the t.v., gym, use to have a treadmill thank god it broke and lots of his collectibles.......**sigh** i really don't like our room....

Kristen said...

I love our bed. We have a big, fluffy comforter and soft, cool sheets. It is such a delight to crawl in at night regardless of the time of year. And thanks for all the simple ways to make a bedroom beautiful. I definitely think that making the bed and putting away the laundry can make all the difference!

rachel blazer said...

i love that our bedroom is simple- clean white embroidered bed linens, black wrought iron bed, white window mistreatments, cool blue walls. it's a restful room for us. i'm bad about stacking clean laundry at the foot of the bed, though- i'll take care of that immediately!
after i tell you this- i sunk to a new low with my mistreatments. i ran out of black upholstery tacks & didn't want to go out in the storm to buy unfrozen black spray paint... so i used a permanent marker! looks great to me!

Tina said...

My favorite part of my bedroom is, well the bed! We had an old hard hand-me-down mattress when we first married and during my first pregnancy. So we splurged a few years ago on a great marshmallow-y pillow top mattress and great down comforter/pillows. I sink into bed everynight and it is where our little ones gather for some extra morning snuggles.

Anonymous said...

Once again, thank you for your wonderful ideas! Sad to say, but our bedroom is looking more like a walk-in closet and a return bin at a library. I get so occupied with the "public" rooms of our house that I neglect our bedroom. Also, loved, loved your post from last Monday. Even though it was for the family room I took a lot of your suggestions and applied them to our entryway. Now I have a beautiful and warm entryway. Again, thanks!
Julia

Colleen - Mommy Always Wins said...

I'm ♥ing this series!

We've got a house we have to get ready to show and sell SOON and I need all the help I can get!!!

Cottagecheap said...

You are a slave-driver! LOL
Honestly, my favorite part of my room is my bed. I do need to make it every day and since we moved our new bedroom has been COMPLETELY overlooked. It needs a total remodel an because of that I have done nothing.
I will be sure to add some pretty to our room tonight and put away all the 'laundry' and stash away my reading.
In our old bedroom we chose a lovely 'dusky' purple for our walls and did all trim in white, it felt like such a haven. I have to move it up on my "to do" list.

Carrie said...

I'm going to give this a whirl. The tv is staying. My hubby works late a lot and I fall asleep to Jay Leno!! It's true! Thanks for all your tips. I ended up buying the Home Beautiful book. I LOVE it.

Anonymous said...

Oh my GET OUTTA MY BEDROOM!

Are you in my house? We neglected our bedroom for 12 years while we reno'd the rest of the house.

I unwittingly followed most of your advice.

Our dresser is in the closet (best move EVER!) I removed all the extraneous "dust collecting" tables and silly knick-knacks, moved the bed entirely and simply by decluttering and refocusing - I love the room again!

I had thought for months I needed new bedding - turns out I just needed a new floorplan!

Jill@Barnes Yard said...

You have soooo inspired me...thank you!
-Jill

Montee said...

My favorite part of my bedroom is the bed. I love my bed. We have an old gate as the headboard and of course the Egyptian Cotton sheets. I ALWAYS have to have my bed(s) made because I cannot get into an unmade bed when I go to bed at night. My husband thinks this is silly because we have to unmake the bed again. He has gotten used to the idea though. DO NOT like clutter either.

Katy said...

Nester, I would like to invite you over to check out my giveaway. Your followers are welcome as well. Come see what's happening!!! You rock.

Karen said...

I love this post, I love this series - you have a new fan :) Tips like these will come in handy even more once we start moving around to military housing!!

Right now my favorite part of my bedroom is my bedding set, I bought it for myself for a birthday present and it's a beautiful blue coordinated set, there are a total of eight pillows on the bed... I love it! LOL

Desperately Seeking Sanity said...

My favorite things are my pictures of the beach. When I was 8 months pregnant and not able for my annual trip to my favorite beach, my husband framed pictures we had taken of trips past and hung them up by my bed. It was just what I needed when I was fat, pregnant and unable to to move!

familywithfivekids said...

I love the idea of framing a letter from my husband - so simple and wonderful. It is something I can do right now! Thanks for the inspiration!

Sarah @ Fiddledeedee said...

I just found your blog this week and love this post! Such an encouragement to me as I'm in the middle of working to make my room a relaxing place - not a catchall.

What I love is that your ideas are do-able and don't require making a multi-thousand dollar order from Pottery Barn!

Thanks for the great tips :)

Unknown said...

Okay, I did it. I spent today working on our master bedroom. I found window treatments this morning at a thrift store and that got me all inspired. I blogged it on website. I'm not finished, but I am thrilled that I finally enjoy walking into our bedroom. Thank you SO much. I kept referring to your mistreatments posts as I worked on it.

Sheryl

Kathleen Ellis said...

Great post! You've covered all the bases! As a decorator I'm always amazed at how many people put their bedroom last on the list of room re-do's...many times I'm able to convince them to move it up after I explain to them how vital it is to their well being...the first place they see every morning and the last place they see every night!
Have a happy Wednesday!
;-D

Little Lovables said...

those are all excellent ideas, very well said.

ps, I have the same sage and white striped storage box with the sage bows, I love it :)

Anonymous said...

Deeeelightful! And on a budget! You are my kinda woman!
~Robin Rane
All Things Home

Amber said...

My favorite part of my bedroom is definitely our bedroom furniture. We used wedding gifts to purchase it and waited, and waited, and WAITED, to find a set that we both loved and would enjoy for years. We finally found one that fit our budget and that we both really liked and it's perfect in our room. Our bed is the tallest, biggest, comfiest bed and at least 3 nights a week we climb in and say "I love this bed. It's SO comfortable." Ha!

I bought lampshades for cheap at Hobby Lobby months ago and found fabric to recover them (since they were hot pink polka dot fabric with rhinestones), but I never seemed to find the time or energy for the project. I finally recovered them and you're right, it's so wonderful to have pretty low light lamps when we are reading in bed at night!

I have a question about your bed. Did you make your bedskirt? How did you do it? I really need to make one for ours because our mattresses are so tall that the box spring sticks above the bed frame and our duvet doesn't cover it. I really reduces the "beauty" of our wonderful bedding & bedframe.

Denise K. said...

Hi Nester....just had to share a great easy, and cheap trick for the bed! I need to see if I have any before and after photos...but, one thing that has made a HUGE difference in the kids beds, guest room, etc...any bed that is not high enough so that your dust ruffle isn't dragging on the floor, needs bed risers! My friend shared this tip with me and we went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond and bought the risers for $9.99. What a huge difference it makes in the rooms to have the beds sitting high up. The dust ruffle lays correctly and the bed looks so much more substantial in the room! Just wanted to share! :-)

Tessa said...

I love these ideas! My husband and I are actually in the process of moving and redoing our bedroom and I am excited to incorporate some of your ideas. Thanks!

Taryn said...

I agree- the bedroom should be a priority. It is actually my favorite room in our one bedroom apartment. = ) I love our bed and mattress. Thanks for the tips on how to declutter - and the one about the dresser. It is intriguing.

Anonymous said...

Can I just say... those pretty plates above your bed are just ASKING to fall off the wall while you're, um, sleeping. I hope they're well-secured.

As for the question you posed:
My favorite part of my bedroom is the headboard made by yours truly. It's fantastic, if I do say so myself.

Unknown said...

My husband and I were just talking about making our bedroom a little more uniformed.
I want to create a sitting area, a loveseat or bench perhaps.
I also liked your suggestion...grabbing up all the pillows, in the livingroom and putting them on the bed.